User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-16-2013, 06:18 PM   #2236
Jinksy
- Jinksy

Oddometer: 55
Faster 250

What are some simple ways to make my 250 quicker off the line?
Jinksy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 06:26 PM   #2237
Bksports88
Adventurer

Oddometer: 40
Gearing

What is the stock gearing on the bike again? 14/40? I changed my front and want to change my rear. I just ordered my performance kit so. I'm hoping this stops my urge of getting a KTM haha
Old 01-16-2013, 06:34 PM   #2238
JRNASTY
Adventurer

Oddometer: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jinksy View Post
What are you doing to the bike?
Dropped the stock front ring from 14 to 13, ran that a few weeks then raised the stock rear from 40 to 42. 13 up front was a must for single track but the 42 may be over kill but had to try it.
JRNASTY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 06:49 PM   #2239
JRNASTY
Adventurer

Quote:
What are some simple ways to make my 250 quicker off the line?
As far as simple and no cost, drop the spark arrestor or mod it to flow more, on top of that do the best dual sports air box mods. If u do drop the spark arrestor u need to keep the exhaust tip to deflect heat from the rear turn signals... Learned that one by experience!

For me The FMF q4 Pipe and header with the EFI programmer gave more 1st gear real estate and the air box mods cleaned up the airflow and stopped back fire pops but that comes with a price.
Old 01-16-2013, 07:00 PM   #2240
Jinksy
- Jinksy

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRNASTY View Post
As far as simple and no cost, drop the spark arrestor or mod it to flow more, on top of that do the best dual sports air box mods. If u do drop the spark arrestor u need to keep the exhaust tip to deflect heat from the rear turn signals... Learned that one by experience!

For me The FMF q4 Pipe and header with the EFI programmer gave more 1st gear real estate and the air box mods cleaned up the airflow and stopped back fire pops but that comes with a price.
Thanks man, that's later down the line. Still getting use to the dual sport riding. Def. going to make it quicker at some point though.
Old 01-16-2013, 07:05 PM   #2241
Jinksy
- Jinksy

Quote:
Dropped the stock front ring from 14 to 13, ran that a few weeks then raised the stock rear from 40 to 42. 13 up front was a must for single track but the 42 may be over kill but had to try it.
Does that make the bike faster? I'm mechanically handicapped, trying to learn though.
Old 01-16-2013, 07:24 PM   #2242
JRNASTY
Adventurer

Quote:
Does that make the bike faster? I'm mechanically handicapped, trying to learn though.
Not necessarily faster, if anything slower on road, but faster, easier and smother on tight trail, if u ride that. Before dropping to the 13t I was over rev'ing 1st and bogging down in 2d, now I can ride 2nd much better.
Old 01-16-2013, 07:38 PM   #2243
Jinksy
- Jinksy

Quote:
Not necessarily faster, if anything slower on road, but faster, easier and smother on tight trail, if u ride that. Before dropping to the 13t I was over rev'ing 1st and bogging down in 2d, now I can ride 2nd much better.
Yeah that's what I find when I'm riding more aggressive off road. I run my 1st gear hard and when I'm in second it feels like it bogs. So you just changed the 14 to a 13? any other mods?
Old 01-16-2013, 07:41 PM   #2244
Jinksy
- Jinksy

Quote:
Do you have to make any other adjustments when you do this?
Old 01-16-2013, 07:58 PM   #2245
Bksports88
Adventurer

Oddometer: 40
Quote:
Do you have to make any other adjustments when you do this?
I was able to change my front 13t sprocket easily. I didnt disassemble the chain but you'll have to tighten it after And align your back wheels so everything is straight
Old 01-16-2013, 08:02 PM   #2246
EEKAMOUSE
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 253
Ok another torque question just put new risers on for the New bars and am wondering what the riser torque specs are. Thx in advance
EEKAMOUSE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 08:23 PM   #2247
Fytclub
Adventurer

Oddometer: 17
HDB hand guards

Can anyone tell me the set up they are running on their bikes with the HDB hand guards? I'm using pro taper 1 1/8" stock ktm bars. I cannot get an answer from HDB on what to use and I have no idea how to put together a package from the website.

I'm using a pro taper adapter but I know I'll have to ditch that to use the HDB setup.
Fytclub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 11:47 PM   #2248
itrack
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 112
Fork Swap

So I was removing the wheels tonight to get my trials tires mounted up and balanced tomorrow. Went out in the garage and measured my 95 CR250 forks and they are right on the money. Help me figure all this out guys. They measure the same at the points were the triple clamps mount up. At full droop they are 2 inches longer but you can raise them 1 inch in the trees. So from the axel they are only 1 inch longer but offer 12.4 inches of travel. I heard these forks were under sprung from the factory so they got harsh reviews. I bet with a nice rebuild they would smoke these non adjustable stock forks. Any help figuring this out would be great. It also looks like a stock 1996 CR250 rear shock might be able to fit. What would be a good solution to raise the rear 1 inch?

itrack screwed with this post 01-17-2013 at 07:30 AM
itrack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 12:39 AM   #2249
Spud Rider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,611
Quote:
Originally Posted by itrack View Post
So I was removing the wheels tonight to get my trials tires mounted up and balanced tomorrow. Went out in the garage and measured my 95 CR250 forks and they are right on the money. Help me figure all this out guys...

...Any help figuring this out would be great. It also looks like a stock 1996 CR250 rear shock might be able to fit.
Since the spacing between the two forks is critical, you must usually swap the entire front suspension, including the triple tree. The CRF250 front wheel must be used with the forks, since the brake caliper must mate properly with the brake rotor, et cetera. Also, the CRF250L has a speedometer sending unit on the right side. Does the CR250 also have a speedometer? I suggest you compare the widths of the CRF250L and CR250 hubs.

I would be very surprised if you don't need to move the triple tree from the CR250 to the CRF250L. If this is the case, you need to determine if the CR250 triple tree will fit in the CRF250L frame. If you wish to mount the CR250 triple tree on your CRF250L, the spindle of the triple tree must mate to the steering stem, et cetera. Even when possible, fork conversions usually require a significant amount of work, which frequently includes machine work.

Spud
2005 XR650L: Shorai Battery Relocation, Spud Oil Cooler, XR650R C/S Sprocket, Reinforced Subframe, Chain Slipper Roller, Performance Design Lowering Link, Baja Designs Headlight, FMF Hi-Flo Header, ManRacks SD Rack, ManRacks Front Fender Farkle, CST Surge I Front Tire, D952 Rear Tire, Tusk D-Flex Handguards, Uni Air Filter, No-Toil Evolution air filter oil
Spud Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 04:27 AM   #2250
'Flagger
..this space for rent..

Oddometer: 2,311
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spud Rider View Post
...Also, the CRF250L has a speedometer sending unit on the right side. ...
Speed is not measured at the front wheel on these bikes. Wouldn't need the SpeedoDRD if it was.

Proud to be an inmate of AdvRider.
'Flagger is offline   Reply With Quote