Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-23-2013, 09:32 AM   #2491
Avi8tor
ADV Poser

Oddometer: 212
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost Rider View Post
I just purchased the the Flatlands because it's a one piece design and I think it will provide the best protection for what's available now. But for now that's just speculation as the UPS guy still has it, like many other peoples comments around here on things they haven't actually used or tested. Too much talking, not enough riding... normal for winter time on ADV I guess.... We will be testing it undoubtably and I will share how it does in the near future.

I've seen the radiator guard in person. Emporia is close by. It mounts in front of the radiator at the two radiator mounting bolts and behind the radiator at the plastic fairing mounting bolt. It is indeed one piece and is fairly stout. If you lay in on a rock like you did, it would probably bend some.
Avi8tor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 11:40 AM   #2492
SAPB
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,379
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krono View Post
Pay attention on runabouts when freezing ..

Dont ask me how i know that

L
Uh oh, that doesn't sound good. Were you able to walk/ride away from that? Tough while it's around freezing, most of the roads can seem alright, then you get into a spot that has not had the sun on it, in a shadow.

CRF250L Service Manual http://www.hondampe.com.au/docs/owni...F250L13_OM.pdf
SAPB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 11:44 AM   #2493
Spud Rider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,620
Quote:
Originally Posted by 'Flagger View Post
Also consider Cogent Dynamics in NC. Rick had my OEM shock for baseline testing prior to building a custom unit. His conclusion was that the shock can be opened and revalved. Call for details.
Disclaimer: not affiliated, just a happy customer.
X2! Rick at Cogent Dynamics is great. I bought a stiffer rear spring from Cogent Dynamics for my XT225 shock absorber; it transformed the rear suspension on my bike.

http://www.xt225.com/forums/ubbthrea...2778#Post82778

It's a good thing for Cogent Dynamics to get on board supporting this motorcycle.

Spud
2005 XR650L: Shorai Battery Relocation, Spud Oil Cooler, XR650R C/S Sprocket, Reinforced Subframe, Chain Slipper Roller, Performance Design Lowering Link, Baja Designs Headlight, FMF Hi-Flo Header, ManRacks SD Rack, ManRacks Front Fender Farkle, CST Surge I Front Tire, D952 Rear Tire, Tusk D-Flex Handguards, Uni Air Filter, No-Toil Evolution air filter oil
Spud Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 11:45 AM   #2494
Krono
Speed Junkie

Oddometer: 193
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAPB View Post
Uh oh, that doesn't sound good. Were you able to walk/ride away from that? Tough while is around freezing, most of the roads can seem alright, then you get into a spot that has not had the sun on it, in a shadow.
I was paying attention and was slow...
No damage on the bike. Only me feeling dumb to ride in these conditions

L
Old 01-23-2013, 11:50 AM   #2495
NesquikNinja
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 292
Update on my starting issue- I went to get my bike from my buddies to head to the dealer and it fired right up. Let it warm up, oil level is fine. Everything is running just fine. Ill blame it on the cold, for now....unless it gives me trouble again.

EDIT: What racks are you guys using and happy with?

I need help deciding how much load space I need and which rack is right for me, whether it be just a top rack, or a full rack, or what.

All of my "trips" will consist of 1, maybe two nights camping (damn responsibilities!). Id like to be able to carry extra fuel, non-motorcycle boots, a sleeping bag, a tent, and some food/beverage. Will just a top rack be enough? Id really like to avoid having to wear a back pack except a camelback. I have never had a dual sport, and had nearly 90l of cargo space on my last bike, not counting the pillion seat, so packing was easy.

For commuting I'm just going to strap a milk crate to the top rack and throw all my stuff in there with a net on top

NesquikNinja screwed with this post 01-23-2013 at 12:11 PM
NesquikNinja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 12:05 PM   #2496
gaw777
Adventurer

Oddometer: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost Rider View Post
I just purchased the the Flatlands because it's a one piece design and I think it will provide the best protection for what's available now. But for now that's just speculation as the UPS guy still has it, like many other peoples comments around here on things they haven't actually used or tested. Too much talking, not enough riding... normal for winter time on ADV I guess.... We will be testing it undoubtably and I will share how it does in the near future.
That's what I am looking for, real time usage to see, how does it fit, does it work like advertised...
I like learning from other people's experience

Keep us posted.
Nancy could be the official parts tester.
gaw777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 12:08 PM   #2497
gaw777
Adventurer

Oddometer: 59
Quote:
Also consider Cogent Dynamics in NC. Rick had my OEM shock for baseline testing prior to building a custom unit. His conclusion was that the shock can be opened and revalved. Call for details.
Disclaimer: not affiliated, just a happy customer.
You had Cogent Dynamics work on your 250L shock, or a different shock?
If so, did you have them modify it?
gaw777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 12:31 PM   #2498
SAPB
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krono View Post
I was paying attention and was slow...
No damage on the bike. Only me feeling dumb to ride in these conditions

L
Riding in less than ideal conditions is one thing, having someone in a car behind you not realizing why you are riding that way is more dangerous. I hate that when someone is on my tail in a car.

Old 01-23-2013, 12:39 PM   #2499
Ed@Ford
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,439
Questions are popping up on racks....might as well add mine. most pick up the four "long neck socket head bolts" that hold the seat on and stick out the sides of the rear fender...seem stout...and are robust M8's.....but, since they have a overhung force on them might not be the best choice

Then there are a couple of racks (Flatland for one) that have 4 big studs that sprout straight up out of the rear fender...but are all pretty close together. My Husky TE610 had that and I wasn't real thrilled with that either, as creating the hoes in the rear fender for the bolts to go thru was a PITA.. If one had the dimensions of that pattern, it'd really be easy to make your own with a plate of appropriate dimensions to match your luggage.... I've seen the bolt pattern dimensions for the WR250R....but nada for the CRF
Ed@Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 12:45 PM   #2500
Krono
Speed Junkie

Oddometer: 193
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAPB View Post
Riding in less than ideal conditions is one thing, having someone in a car behind you not realizing why you are riding that way is more dangerous. I hate that when someone is on my tail in a car.
Yes, but car drivers are pretty smart here, and let me always pass when they see me behind.

Only one tailgated me today

L
Old 01-23-2013, 12:48 PM   #2501
SAPB
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed@Ford View Post
Questions are popping up on racks....might as well add mine. most pick up the four "long neck socket head bolts" that hold the seat on and stick out the sides of the rear fender...seem stout...and are robust M8's.....but, since they have a overhung force on them might not be the best choice

Then there are a couple of racks (Flatland for one) that have 4 big studs that sprout straight up out of the rear fender...but are all pretty close together. My Husky TE610 had that and I wasn't real thrilled with that either, as creating the hoes in the rear fender for the bolts to go thru was a PITA.. If one had the dimensions of that pattern, it'd really be easy to make your own with a plate of appropriate dimensions to match your luggage.... I've seen the bolt pattern dimensions for the WR250R....but nada for the CRF
I like my Manrack, the one with the Rotopax plate in it. They include bolts the replace the original seat bolts that stick out. There are spacers, so you wouldn't be able to use the original seat bolts. At the time, it was free shipping before the holidays, that was the kicker for me. As a bonus, they threw in a pair of the tie down things, that go under the lower triple clamp bolts, no charge. The rack seems pretty solid to me, but I haven't had anything real heavy on there yet.

Old 01-23-2013, 01:02 PM   #2502
'Flagger
..this space for rent..

Oddometer: 2,314
Quote:
Originally Posted by gaw777 View Post
You had Cogent Dynamics work on your 250L shock, or a different shock?
If so, did you have them modify it?
Apologies for the lack of clarity. It was my CRF250L shock that they tested. Didn't do any mods however... I decided to go the custom route with them instead.

Proud to be an inmate of AdvRider.
'Flagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 01:10 PM   #2503
Spud Rider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,620
Quote:
Apologies for the lack of clarity. It was my CRF250L shock that they tested. Didn't do any mods however... I decided to go the custom route with them instead.
That's great! Do you know when your custom shock absorber will be completed? If you don't mind me asking, how much is Cogent Dynamics charging for a custom shock absorber?

Spud
2005 XR650L: Shorai Battery Relocation, Spud Oil Cooler, XR650R C/S Sprocket, Reinforced Subframe, Chain Slipper Roller, Performance Design Lowering Link, Baja Designs Headlight, FMF Hi-Flo Header, ManRacks SD Rack, ManRacks Front Fender Farkle, CST Surge I Front Tire, D952 Rear Tire, Tusk D-Flex Handguards, Uni Air Filter, No-Toil Evolution air filter oil
Spud Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 01:18 PM   #2504
SAPB
Beastly Adventurer

I don't have a picture of the Manrack on my bike, but here's how it looks on Tony's bike. That's what made me decide on this rack.

Quote:
Originally Posted by G19Tony View Post
I finally got around to installing the rack today. It literally took 5 minutes. Everything fit perfectly. I don't have any pictures without the Rotopax adapter, but, you will get the idea. For day to day riding the adapter might be in the way, but it would be a quick matter of loosening the front bolts, removing the rear bolts and rotating it up to get to the adapter bolts. I'm very pleased with the quality of Mike's work.

Old 01-23-2013, 01:28 PM   #2505
Ed@Ford
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,439
Yes, the ability to handle a rotopax...which I already have...is a big feature
Ed@Ford is offline   Reply With Quote