Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-23-2013, 01:42 PM   #2506
bungie4
Frostback

Oddometer: 431
I've got the Manrack with the Rotopax plate as well. Haven't mounted it up yet (Hey, it was -49F here last night!). I'll be shopping around for a 1.75g Rotopax which appears to be a new tank and not carried by all suppliers. The 1.75 can be filled to 2 gallons which would be a full tank for the CRFL. Same dimensions as the 1g tank except thicker.

Come to think of it, I've got a bunch of toys waiting to go on the CRFL. I'm gonna have fun with it in the spring

2013 FJR1300, 2004 FJR1300, 2013 CRF250L
I have a job, I explore, I follow every little whiff.
On/Offroad help when you need it - http://www.assistancelist.com
bungie4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 01:43 PM   #2507
Spud Rider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,600
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAPB View Post
I don't have a picture of the Manrack on my bike, but here's how it looks on Tony's bike. That's what made me decide on this rack.
Thanks for posting the photos. That's a nice luggage rack.

Do all the available luggage racks utilize the same, four mounting points? With these mounting points you need to remove the two, front bolts to remove the saddle, don't you?

Spud
2005 XR650L: Shorai Battery Relocation, Spud Oil Cooler, XR650R C/S Sprocket, Reinforced Subframe, Chain Slipper Roller, Performance Design Lowering Link, Baja Designs Headlight, FMF Hi-Flo Header, ManRacks SD Rack, ManRacks Front Fender Farkle, CST Surge I Front Tire, D952 Rear Tire, Tusk D-Flex Handguards, Uni Air Filter, No-Toil Evolution air filter oil
Spud Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 01:45 PM   #2508
SAPB
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,296
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed@Ford View Post
Yes, the ability to handle a rotopax...which I already have...is a big feature
I think the difference between the "bottom end" rack, and the one with the RP mount was $20. I wanted the ability to add the RP later on, for longer trips. I think that's a pic of Tony's bike on the Manrack site. The pic of it on his bike has the front mount tucking in real tight in the front, maybe have to put the seat on after. Mine, the front mounts are wider, and have spacers between the rack and the mount point. I had to wiggle a Phillips screwdriver in there to line up the mount point. 10 minute job. It only came with replacement front bolts (allen, not the same wrench size), and I re-used the long bolts in back.

CRF250L Service Manual http://www.hondampe.com.au/docs/owni...F250L13_OM.pdf
SAPB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 01:51 PM   #2509
'Flagger
..this space for rent..

Oddometer: 2,309
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spud Rider View Post
That's great! Do you know when your custom shock absorber will be completed? If you don't mind me asking, how much is Cogent Dynamics charging for a custom shock absorber?

Spud
It's been on the bike since early December. I've had the bike out twice since then on some rutted gravel roads and like it so far. Spring and some dry, fast, single track will be the true test. Expect to pay ~$650 or so... pricing wasn't final when I did mine as it was the first he had done.

Proud to be an inmate of AdvRider.
'Flagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 01:53 PM   #2510
Ed@Ford
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,418
Quote:
Originally Posted by bungie4 View Post
I've got the Manrack with the Rotopax plate as well. Haven't mounted it up yet (Hey, it was -49F here last night!). I'll be shopping around for a 1.75g Rotopax which appears to be a new tank and not carried by all suppliers. The 1.75 can be filled to 2 gallons which would be a full tank for the CRFL. Same dimensions as the 1g tank except thicker.

Come to think of it, I've got a bunch of toys waiting to go on the CRFL. I'm gonna have fun with it in the spring
BUNGIE...WTF -49F that's unbelieveable...and AWFUL...my rotopax is an older 1.25G...I'm thinking this rack "is the one"
Ed@Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 01:56 PM   #2511
SAPB
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spud Rider View Post
Thanks for posting the photos. That's a nice luggage rack.

Do all the available luggage racks utilize the same, four mounting points? With these mounting points you need to remove the two, front bolts to remove the saddle, don't you?

Spud
Just re-posted Tony's pics. The rack I've got, you just take out the 4 long (bungie hook point) bolts. The 2 in the front are seat bolts. Then slap the rack on, and that's it.

Old 01-23-2013, 01:57 PM   #2512
Ed@Ford
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'Flagger View Post
It's been on the bike since early December. I've had the bike out twice since then on some rutted gravel roads and like it so far. Spring and some dry, fast, single track will be the true test. Expect to pay ~$650 or so... pricing wasn't final when I did mine as it was the first he had done.
Did you re-use the stock spring or have to or want to go with a different rate? If so do you have a guess of the stock spring rate and what u went to?
Old 01-23-2013, 02:11 PM   #2513
SAPB
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
BUNGIE...WTF -49F that's unbelieveable...and AWFUL...my rotopax is an older 1.25G...I'm thinking this rack "is the one"
-49 F, don't be licking any stop signs. Yes, I think Rotopax comes in 2 gallon now, but twice the weight.

Old 01-23-2013, 02:12 PM   #2514
Ed@Ford
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAPB View Post
-49 F, don't be licking any stop signs. Yes, I think Rotopax comes in 2 gallon now, but twice the weight.
Gasoline....6.5#/gallon
Old 01-23-2013, 02:46 PM   #2515
trainman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 388
I went with this rack because of the way the rack fits under the seat, the Manrack looks like it is hitting the plastic side panel by the seat. As far as mounting a Rotopak Tank Bracket, this can be done very easily with bar clamps.

John

http://nomadic-racks.com/index.php?o...080&id=4113616
trainman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 02:49 PM   #2516
SAPB
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by trainman View Post
I went with this rack because of the way the rack fits under the seat, the Manrack looks like it is hitting the plastic side panel by the seat. As far as mounting a Rotopak Tank Bracket, this can be done very easily with bar clamps.

John

The Manrack does not touch the plastic. As I said, mine is different from the rack on Tony's bike (I believe his was the first one). Mine has spacers between the rack and the mount point. Try to post pics tomorrow.

SAPB screwed with this post 01-23-2013 at 02:55 PM
Old 01-23-2013, 02:54 PM   #2517
trainman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 388
That good it doesn't touch, John
trainman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 02:57 PM   #2518
'Flagger
..this space for rent..

Oddometer: 2,309
Quote:
Did you re-use the stock spring or have to or want to go with a different rate? If so do you have a guess of the stock spring rate and what u went to?
Rick installed an Ohlins spring on the custom shock.

Stock rate (measured by CD): 525
New rate: 600

Proud to be an inmate of AdvRider.
'Flagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 03:02 PM   #2519
Spud Rider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,600
I've been doing some research on the luggage racks currently available for the CRF250L. Here are the racks I have been able to find. If I missed any racks, please let me know.

Most of the current luggage racks mount to the subframe in the front at the saddle bolts, and mount in the rear at the fender bolts. These racks distribute the weight nicely to the subframe, and also provide a grip for lifting the bike after it "takes a dirt nap."

Manracks is making several luggage racks for the CRF250L. The RotoPax Rack facilitates carrying extra fuel until a larger, aftermarket fuel tank becomes available. The Marracks racks also include lower rails to which you can conveniently attach your bungee cords, straps, et cetera.

http://www.manracks.com/#!honda-crf250l/cjhw

The Nomadic luggage rack is very similar to the Manracks rack. However, the Nomadic rack does lack the lower side rails for attaching bungee cords, straps, et cetera.

TurboCity also makes a luggage rack for the CRF250L. The Borrego Rack can be supplemented with additional side racks and luggage.

https://tciproductsusa.com/index.php...th=144_150_199

Bikerzbits is selling a luggage rack manufactured in Thailand.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=825294

However, at least one customer has complained about the fitment of this Thai luggage rack. This rack also lacks convenient rails to which you can attach your bungee cords.

Pro Moto Billet is making a luggage rack which uses different mounting points. This rack secures to four mounting points on the top of the subframe at the very rear of the bike.

http://www.promotobillet.com/catalog...n8r9ljl9ggk0t4

You can easily remove the saddle without affecting any of the mounting bolts for this luggage rack. However, I don't think this luggage rack will distribute heavy loads to the subframe as well as the racks which utilize the seat bolts. I don't think I would grab this luggage rack to help lift the motorcycle. Also, this luggage rack doesn't provide convenient, lower rails for attaching bungee cords, straps, et cetera.

Spud
2005 XR650L: Shorai Battery Relocation, Spud Oil Cooler, XR650R C/S Sprocket, Reinforced Subframe, Chain Slipper Roller, Performance Design Lowering Link, Baja Designs Headlight, FMF Hi-Flo Header, ManRacks SD Rack, ManRacks Front Fender Farkle, CST Surge I Front Tire, D952 Rear Tire, Tusk D-Flex Handguards, Uni Air Filter, No-Toil Evolution air filter oil

Spud Rider screwed with this post 01-23-2013 at 03:38 PM
Spud Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 03:12 PM   #2520
SAPB
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'Flagger View Post
Rick installed an Ohlins spring on the custom shock.

Stock rate (measured by CD): 525
New rate: 600
Not sure if Rick would disclose, but I'm wondering, since he did a bunch of testing on the stock shock/spring, what weight rider that (original) would be good for. He set the new one up for you, based on what type of riding you do. All of us have a different idea of what our LRP will do for us. Used to go a lot faster off road, now, using experience/skills learned to not crash, did a lot of that before.