Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-25-2013, 08:58 PM   #2611
itrack
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 114
Just an FYI, the big gun eco does not fit the factory header. I modified the stock one (welding). It is nice quality and looks sharp. So if your ordering one get the header too. I will be contacting big gun tomorrow.
itrack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 09:01 PM   #2612
foxbrook
Adventurer

Oddometer: 45
Did anyone get the seat concepts low seat yet? I'm wondering if it actually makes it lower or does it push your legs out wider and actually makes the bike seem taller. I'm short lol

foxbrook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 09:41 PM   #2613
gnath9
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 231
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed@Ford View Post
Here's my current opinion on seats. The seat concepts seat at $160 is a steal. There are a huge number of folks out there with this seat for the CRF, and I have NEVER head a complaint about it...except installing it. They also make a huge number of seats for KLR650...again, no complaints. Plus, they'll install it for $20...that's frikin PEANUTS. Finally.....you can buy a whole NEW CRF seat for $100 from honda....so if you're worried you might not like the seat concepts seat, buy it, buy a new honda seat, let them do the install of the foam and cover. If you don't like it, there will be someone here that will buy it in a blink!
Thanks for your opinion Ed, I totally agree with you and hope I am not wasting my money. But I must also say you get what you pay for in most cases and Corbin has been around a very long time and produce some really high quality stuff.
This Little Red Pig for me is going to be something special. (call me crazy)

Here is a list of parts I am buying ....

Corbin seat
FMF full exhaust - mega bomb with the Q4
Fuel injection programmer
13/45 sprockets
speedo calibrator
Race Tech rear shock
Rox risers
HDB handgaurds with mirrors and a set of fat bars (have not decided on what bars yet)
Pro Taper Pillow Top Grips
Scotts steering damper
Flatlands radiator gaurd and skidplate
Yoshimura Fender Eliminator Kit
steel braided brake lines front and rear
Probably Dunlop D606's but going to burn some tread of the stockers first.
(I'm sure I forgot a few others)

A little back ground on me. I am 50 years old and a single Father of an 11 year old son. I got him a 2008 CRF80F to learn on and hope to upgrade him to a CRF150R as soon as possible and I will need something to keep up with him.
Back in my youth I had several dirt bikes... YZ125... IT175 and my last dirt bike was a RM250. Its been 25 years since I have been on the dirt and I have really missed it..
I have also owned several big cruiser bikes that I tricked out.

I am not a hard core rider. I am just at a point in my life where I want to (and can) build the best LRP out there and make some memories with my boy !!!

It's still winter here in Nebraska but, I'll share some pic's when it all comes together.
Thanks to all for the posts that have helped me in my research
gnath9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 10:00 PM   #2614
gaw777
Adventurer

Oddometer: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by foxbrook View Post
Did anyone get the seat concepts low seat yet? I'm wondering if it actually makes it lower or does it push your legs out wider and actually makes the bike seem taller. I'm short lol
Do not have the low seat, but have about 3000 miles on my seatconcept's seat on my ktm.
Probably the best upgrade I made to the bike.

Personally, I will go back with the seatconcepts seat for the LRP. Can't really see spending the extra on the Corbin. I'll use the extra $$ to get something else for the bike.

But I say go with what you want to go with, it's all a personal choice. Can't see that there is any "wrong" way to go on this bike, just depends on what you want.

That's what I have liked about this thread, everyone is doing what they want and sharing their experiences.

I say go for it! Get what you want
gaw777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 10:02 PM   #2615
Gilerd
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 133
Laugh Near Future Air Horn Guinea Pig

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAPB View Post
Tinkering with it will get you there. I think one guy said he had a collection of the cheap wrenches that come with routers, lawnmowers, ect. that he bent and drilled holes in as a mounting bracket. I was able to use the original bracket upside down, and bend it a little for my install on the other bike. I think it's also possible to separate it, and use a hose if it's too tight. You be the "guinea pig", and show us how it's done. Just don't test it in the garage.
I'll figure out the noticeable sound issue (horn) for those of us sticking with the stock stealthy exhaust. It's high on my list. I have an airzound air horn on my mountain bike rated at 115db with an 80 psi air tank and it Really comes in handy, especially downtown with the tight buildings! I'd like to get the CRF just past that level, without having to use a hand floorpump to refill the tank. I'll post up once results are in folks.
Gilerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 10:51 PM   #2616
foxbrook
Adventurer

Oddometer: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by gaw777 View Post
Do not have the low seat, but have about 3000 miles on my seatconcept's seat on my ktm.
Probably the best upgrade I made to the bike.

Personally, I will go back with the seatconcepts seat for the LRP. Can't really see spending the extra on the Corbin. I'll use the extra $$ to get something else for the bike.

But I say go with what you want to go with, it's all a personal choice. Can't see that there is any "wrong" way to go on this bike, just depends on what you want.

That's what I have liked about this thread, everyone is doing what they want and sharing their experiences.

I say go for it! Get what you want
thanks for your opinion. I've heard nothing but good things about these seats and my only concern is if it makes the bike feel higher. I have a kouba lowering link installed and I don't want to end up making it higher, would kind of defeat the purpose of the link. I don't "mind" the stock seat really, would be nice to be a little more comfy on the arse though.

foxbrook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 06:41 AM   #2617
SAPB
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,449
Quote:
thanks for your opinion. I've heard nothing but good things about these seats and my only concern is if it makes the bike feel higher. I have a kouba lowering link installed and I don't want to end up making it higher, would kind of defeat the purpose of the link. I don't "mind" the stock seat really, would be nice to be a little more comfy on the arse though.
I'm fine with my seat for now. My daughter had her seat shaved by a local upholsterer that the dealership knew of. He rides too, so had a good understanding of bikes, too. He correctly stated that a wide seat would push your legs out, making it more difficult to get your feet down. Check your local area, I'm sure someone would love the business, and "word of mouth" advertising. I think he charged $50.

CRF250L Service Manual http://www.hondampe.com.au/docs/owni...F250L13_OM.pdf
SAPB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 07:42 AM   #2618
Ed@Ford
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,486
GAW77

Holy cow...someone that ADMITS to going FROM the "orange god KTM", to the "lowly" CRF Honda!

Welcome to the brother(& sister)hood of the LRP!
Ed@Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 08:06 AM   #2619
trainman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 394
Subject, Oil Leak

Well the weather finally got to where I could put some miles on the bike for the first time (72 miles now) and of course when I got back from about a 60 miles ride I looked the bike over. Well there is a oil leak coming from under the sprocket cover, I removed the cover and looks like it is coming from the back side where the oil seal is behind the sprocket. My chain has oil on it to, I would say that the sprocket is spinning the oil down and on the chain. Has anyone else had this problem on their bike, I guess the fix is to replace the oil seal, any other ideas on this. I have never had a bike leak oil here, I do know that on some bikes the sprocket tension can cause the oil seal to leak, but this is not that type of sprocket or is it. One other question, do oil seals seat themselves, or do they either leak or don't.

John

trainman screwed with this post 01-26-2013 at 08:20 AM
trainman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 08:27 AM   #2620
gaw777
Adventurer

Oddometer: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed@Ford View Post
GAW77

Holy cow...someone that ADMITS to going FROM the "orange god KTM", to the "lowly" CRF Honda!

Welcome to the brother(& sister)hood of the LRP!
Shhhhhhhhh....don't tell anyone I still have the KTM.....but the LRP is way better in the tight stuff
gaw777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 08:34 AM   #2621
SAPB
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,449
Quote:
Originally Posted by trainman View Post
Subject, Oil Leak

Well the weather finally got to where I could put some miles on the bike for the first time (72 miles now) and of course when I got back from about a 60 miles ride I looked the bike over. Well there is a oil leak coming from under the sprocket cover, I removed the cover and looks like it is coming from the back side where the oil seal is behind the sprocket. My chain has oil on it to, I would say that the sprocket is spinning the oil down and on the chain. Has anyone else had this problem on their bike, I guess the fix is to replace the oil seal, any other ideas on this. I have never had a bike leak oil here, I do know that on some bikes the sprocket tension can cause the oil seal to leak, but this is not that type of sprocket or is it. One other question, do oil seals seat themselves, or do they either leak or don't.

John
Way back in this thread, someone mentioned it, but turned out to just be chain lube spinning off. Not sure if this could be the case with yours. Can you wipe it off really well, then take a short ride with the cover off to see?

CRF250L Service Manual http://www.hondampe.com.au/docs/owni...F250L13_OM.pdf
SAPB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 08:42 AM   #2622
'Flagger
..this space for rent..

Oddometer: 2,331
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAPB View Post
Way back in this thread, someone mentioned it, but turned out to just be chain lube spinning off. Not sure if this could be the case with yours. Can you wipe it off really well, then take a short ride with the cover off to see?
On overly oiled chain was my experience, also. I cleaned everything and rode it.

Didn't think about it anymore.

Proud to be an inmate of AdvRider.
'Flagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 08:49 AM   #2623
outdoornate65
Adventurer

Oddometer: 66
I got my bike in late Nov so haven't been up in the hills yet. Think the FI is just the ticket for all the varied elevations out here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ride2live View Post
I have read all the pages of this thread, took a while. Lots of really high quality info in here and I thank everyone for sharing their info.

I live at 5,600' elevation and the fun riding is all uphill, as much as another mile above me. Any folks here at altitude? How is this bike performing, at say, 8,000 - 10,000'? I realize that the altitude folks in the northern half of the planet are mostly snowed in...

I had an '07 250KLX - jetted for "altitude", it was pretty much a dog when I got it up in that 8K-10K height.

And, anybody have one of these bad boys, here on the Colorado Front Range?
outdoornate65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 08:52 AM   #2624
outdoornate65
Adventurer

Oddometer: 66
I installed mine last week. Seems a "touch" lower. Like the black fabric.
I'm short too....5' 9" with 30" inseam. Balls of my feet are on the ground.
Quote:
outdoornate65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 09:05 AM   #2625
MentalGuru
Crazy Diamond

Oddometer: 726
Quote:
Originally Posted by outdoornate65 View Post
I got my bike in late Nov so haven't been up in the hills yet. Think the FI is just the ticket for all the varied elevations out here.

The FI should work great at varied altitudes(if programed correctly by Honda).

Power is a different story. FI can't make up for the power loss as the altitude increases. It just elimates the need to rejet...

MentalGuru is offline   Reply With Quote