Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-29-2013, 06:12 AM   #2746
positron007
Adventurer

Oddometer: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed@Ford View Post
I currently have both. Owned the XR since 1996 when it was new. Tried many other bikes to replace the XR. They are all gone. The faults of the XR are weak AC electrical system that won't run heated grips and electric vest for a 67 year old old fart. Plus it's not electric start...and it NEVER started well cold.

The CRF was purchased to deal with these issues, has a great price, and be lighter than my KLR650. I've put significant miles on a WR250R. Great engine...didn't like the suspension or the ergonomics. PM me if you have specific questions. I will NOT be getting rid of the XR400.
Thanks for the response.
Many years ago (20 to be exact) I spent a weekend on a mates farm which was located in the mountains and was absolutely brilliant for riding.
He owned a YZ80 (2 stroke), kx125 (2 stroke), XL250, and a XR200R.
I got to ride all of them. The YZ80 scared the crap out of me (always on the back wheel), the KX125 was too tall for me, the XL250 was a heavy piece of sh1t, but the the XR200R was absolutely brilliant, maybe not the best for jumps, but it was so easy to control thanks to the light weight and low centre of gravity. You could just nail it everywhere and not have to worry about losing control.
I am a little worried the CRF250L might be a heavy piece of sh1t like the XL250 was.

Having said that I have spent the last 2 years riding road bikes which are significantly heavier so it may not be that bad in reality.

To try and be more specific I found you could have the XR200R constantly side ways and still feel in complete control, but on the XL250 if you got it side ways on light sand you felt like you could drop the bike at any moment.
positron007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 07:00 AM   #2747
Telemarktumalo
Coffee Achiever

Oddometer: 229
Yamaha vs. Honda

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtntrails View Post
CRF250L Owners.... Please chime in on this thread...

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=858964
I gave this thread a look and enjoyed the OP and some genuine replies. Then it turned to the inevitable discussion that if you were a REAL rider and wanted a REAL bike, then you should be riding an orange bike. I like this thread better because I made my decision already and I'm getting some help on getting my bike set up. Thanks everyone. ManRack Utility Rack last night and a Flatland skid plate on its way.
Telemarktumalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 07:02 AM   #2748
Ed@Ford
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,452
Quote:
Originally Posted by positron007 View Post
Thanks for the response.
Many years ago (20 to be exact) I spent a weekend on a mates farm which was located in the mountains and was absolutely brilliant for riding.
He owned a YZ80 (2 stroke), kx125 (2 stroke), XL250, and a XR200R.
I got to ride all of them. The YZ80 scared the crap out of me (always on the back wheel), the KX125 was too tall for me, the XL250 was a heavy piece of sh1t, but the the XR200R was absolutely brilliant, maybe not the best for jumps, but it was so easy to control thanks to the light weight and low centre of gravity. You could just nail it everywhere and not have to worry about losing control.
I am a little worried the CRF250L might be a heavy piece of sh1t like the XL250 was.

Having said that I have spent the last 2 years riding road bikes which are significantly heavier so it may not be that bad in reality.

To try and be more specific I found you could have the XR200R constantly side ways and still feel in complete control, but on the XL250 if you got it side ways on light sand you felt like you could drop the bike at any moment.
I have a hard time counting all the XL100, 125, XR185, XR200R's, and XR250R's I've gone thru over the years. Those bikes some how carry with them a "feel" you don't get with small dual sport Yamaha, suzuki, and kawasaki....it boils down to what you like...what gives you that feeling....I got it when I put my ass on the CRF....the WR250R never had that
Ed@Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 07:05 AM   #2749
Ed@Ford
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telemarktumalo View Post
I gave this thread a look and enjoyed the OP and some genuine replies. Then it turned to the inevitable discussion that if you were a REAL rider and wanted a REAL bike, then you should be riding an orange bike. I like this thread better because I made my decision already and I'm getting some help on getting my bike set up. Thanks everyone. ManRack Utility Rack last night and a Flatland skid plate on its way.
AMEN! This site provides info and insight in weeks and days on the CRF and how to get it to where you want it. Doing that literally took YEARS 5, 10, or 15 years ago....
Old 01-29-2013, 07:34 AM   #2750
positron007
Adventurer

Quote:
I have a hard time counting all the XL100, 125, XR185, XR200R's, and XR250R's I've gone thru over the years. Those bikes some how carry with them a "feel" you don't get with small dual sport Yamaha, suzuki, and kawasaki....it boils down to what you like...what gives you that feeling....I got it when I put my ass on the CRF....the WR250R never had that
Thanks again
I'll just get the CRF250L. I reckon I'll have fun regardless.
I could get a WR450F or the equivalent Honda, but they are way too high maintenace for the sought of miles I will be doing.
Old 01-29-2013, 07:37 AM   #2751
positron007
Adventurer

Quote:

Yeah, now watch the fireworks.
Old 01-29-2013, 07:59 AM   #2752
NesquikNinja
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 300

Took her for two new experiences yesterday.

1) Some serious mud. This is new to me and the bike. Its crazy how planted you can feel with the back tire spinning and sliding all over....never lost control, never felt like I was going to, yet I was slippin and slidin and throwing mud all over. Thats a new kind of fun!

2) Highway. My buddies were two-up on an R6 and the bike was turning about 20% max RPM at 60 MPH, while I was damn near pinned open haha. There was slight uphill section where the bike dropped to 55mph....but I was afraid to downshift to 5th due to not having a tach and having no idea where that would leave me RPM-wise?

Im thinking of moving locations at work and that will change my 12 mile round trip, no highway commute to a 60 mile roundtrip all highway commute...hope this bike can do it!
NesquikNinja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 08:06 AM   #2753
goondock
Adventurer

Oddometer: 68
Has anyone replaced the brake lines with the steel lines? Is it worth the money? I know ramz did it and has a little write up on the site but more info would be cool. i wouldn't mind getting some better performance in the braking department although i haven't had too many complaints about the stock brakes. Also want to get rid of that MASSIVE brake line sticking up in the front. any writeup or pictures would be cool specs on line lengths if you ordered them custom would be helpful.

lost riders comments about when the bike sits it leave time for one to think of things to change, the bike has been sitting a little while because of the weather so that makes me want to change stuff up even though it isnt needed ha ha ha. That is some of the fun though.
goondock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 08:40 AM   #2754
hrcs90
Adventurer

Oddometer: 27
[QUOTE=Ed@Ford;20594475]
Quote:
Originally Posted by hrcs90 View Post
Honda's PGM-FI doesn't use OBD codes like the car world like you would expect, but a more Honda style. You can pull codes if needed through the RED DLC plug on the bike, by jumping the Brown and Green wires together or purchase Honda special tool "SCS connector". Make the connection and then turn the main switch on and count the MIL blinks.

So, are you pretty convinced Honda does not use the standard OBDII 4 digit codes on production bikes? If so, that means we not only need a way to read the MIL (Malfunction Indicator Light ) blinks....but also a "dictionary" of the code # and their meaning...........

Yes, Honda and Yamaha for some reason, probably because they can, on there power sports vehicles any way. Use there own version of "OBD/II". But Suzuki, Kawasaki, Harley and BMW use the standard OBDII.

The Honda service manual lays out a DTC Index of the blink codes and there explanation.
hrcs90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 09:57 AM   #2755
positron007
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by NesquikNinja View Post

Im thinking of moving locations at work and that will change my 12 mile round trip, no highway commute to a 60 mile roundtrip all highway commute...hope this bike can do it!
I hope so. If I get the bike I will be doing a minimum of 300km up and down technical mountain trails plus 50km of dirt road and 100kms of freeway all in one day every week
Old 01-29-2013, 10:14 AM   #2756
Ed@Ford
Beastly Adventurer

[QUOTE=hrcs90;20600975]
Quote:
The Honda service manual lays out a DTC Index of the blink codes and there explanation.
excellent...thanks
Old 01-29-2013, 10:34 AM   #2757
yyz
Adventurer

Oddometer: 38
Quote:

Me personally, I avoid these threads. I made my choice with the Honda, and a lot of people chiming in have never ridden the bikes in question.
yyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 10:42 AM   #2758
SAPB
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,418
Quote:
Originally Posted by yyz View Post
Me personally, I avoid these threads. I made my choice with the Honda, and a lot of people chiming in have never ridden the bikes in question.
That's probably a good idea, the 2nd post was off topic, someone asking why brand K wasn't included. For the most part, we seem to stay mostly on topic, here. Still, some go off into the blue horizon.....

CRF250L Service Manual http://www.hondampe.com.au/docs/owni...F250L13_OM.pdf
SAPB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 12:57 PM   #2759
Lost Rider
Roadie

Oddometer: 3,147
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAPB View Post
That's probably a good idea, the 2nd post was off topic, someone asking why brand K wasn't included. For the most part, we seem to stay mostly on topic, here. Still, some go off into the blue horizon.....

Actually, half the posts in here aren't on topic, technically, if people were to read the first post and follow those guidelines when posting it would help us all. Just because a LRP is mentioned in a post doesn't make it on topic in here.

Owners Threads are for actual owners and what they are doing with their bike, accessories, upgrades, where they are riding, troubleshooting, etc.
This thread is like the catch all with lots of LRP comparisons to other bikes, mostly from new ADV inmates who talk about what bikes people have had in the past, comparisons to cars FI systems, hypothetical theories, opinions about other bikes, etc.
It would be better for everyone if all that non-ownership off topic discussion would be happening in the general crf250l thread, or one of the many CRF vs. whatever threads. Makes it hard to find actual ownership info when there's pages and pages of posts everyday with lots of off topic talk.
This is not a comparison thread, but folks still like to think it is one, if you are typing another bike model name in here you're off topic. This is not a place that people who don't actually own one to voice their opinion about the bike, etc, etc, etc.

Here's the OP at the start of this thread for those that keep forgetting what thread they are posting in. I'm not the police though and it's not my thread, just a concerned citizen.
I know there's grey areas and try my best to follow the spirit of an Owners Thread though I'm not perfect either, because I know it's near impossible to find what I'm looking for in this thread without spending way too much time sifting through the BS. But that's just me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joec63 View Post

Post your experiences, modifications, and issues specific to the CRF250L

LostRider.com
Lost Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 01:21 PM   #2760
AZDavis
n00b

Oddometer: 9
Thumb Cline Cabin RD

trying to embed pic from mtn adventure this am.
AZDavis is offline   Reply With Quote