ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-30-2013, 06:10 AM   #2791
Ed@Ford
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jan 2004
Location: Dearborn MI
Oddometer: 1,427
FWIW: Put braided lines on my KLR650 but had to fatten them up in spots so the stock brackets will hold them in place. They were a significant improvement...I like what RamZ did to get rid that big dumb loop of hose going up over the speedo...but he doesn't share pix of where the "slack" for wheel movement ends up being. I THINK I saw doodads somewhere to put on the lines for this purpose...CRF's only MAYBE

BUT YES, all road tests I've seen they give the CRF poor marks on the front brakes....one speculated that the pads are probably VERY hard....but be cautious in swapping pads...I put some aftermarket pads on my XR400R...yeah they worked good...but they ATE the $$$$ front rotor....

Lost Rider: You got an opinion on this? Your recent ride looks like it mighta included some significant front brake usage
Ed@Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 06:16 AM   #2792
Ed@Ford
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jan 2004
Location: Dearborn MI
Oddometer: 1,427
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...ostcount=32813

I know it's a sin for us to visit the WR250R mega site, but the above are pix of another road test of Kawi, Yammie and CRF......their sour grapes were"Honda won because it's cheap"

Whatever gents...lets move on...let them enjoy their blue toys

Get the whole enchalada here: http://www.cyclenews.com/articles/bi...e-of-the-250s/

WTF...I can't get it all there either! Maybe that's why CycleNews is no longer a print magazine!

Well, ya gotta have some MS Outlook Web App to read it...screw them

Ed@Ford screwed with this post 01-30-2013 at 06:43 AM
Ed@Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 06:23 AM   #2793
goondock
Adventurer
 
Joined: Oct 2012
Location: Plymouth Meeting PA
Oddometer: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed@Ford View Post
FWIW: Put braided lines on my KLR650 but had to fatten them up in spots so the stock brackets will hold them in place. They were a significant improvement...I like what RamZ did to get rid that big dumb loop of hose going up over the speedo...but he doesn't share pix of where the "slack" for wheel movement ends up being. I THINK I saw doodads somewhere to put on the lines for this purpose...CRF's only MAYBE

BUT YES, all road tests I've seen they give the CRF poor marks on the front brakes....one speculated that the pads are probably VERY hard....but be cautious in swapping pads...I put some aftermarket pads on my XR400R...yeah they worked good...but they ATE the $$$$ front rotor....

Lost Rider: You got an opinion on this? Your recent ride looks like it mighta included some significant front brake usage

Thanks for the info, much appreciated.
goondock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 06:55 AM   #2794
Telemarktumalo
Coffee Achiever
 
Telemarktumalo's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2012
Location: Bend, Oregon
Oddometer: 203
Quote:
Originally Posted by goondock View Post
Has anyone replaced the brake lines with the steel lines? Is it worth the money? I know ramz did it and has a little write up on the site but more info would be cool. i wouldn't mind getting some better performance in the braking department...


I've noticed the brakes require a good bit of lever effort, especially on fast downhill runs. I seem to have read here somewhere that the brakes get better with miles. Another reason to keep riding.

I am searching for alternatives to the OEM chrome gas cap. It looks a bit hokey and almost seems an afterthought on our red/white/black beauties. I can't believe it is not hinged! Anybody found a good alternative? I'd still like to use the ignition key for security. I suppose I could get the OEM cap powdercoated.... hmmm.
Telemarktumalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 07:34 AM   #2795
goondock
Adventurer
 
Joined: Oct 2012
Location: Plymouth Meeting PA
Oddometer: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by Telemarktumalo View Post

I've noticed the brakes require a good bit of lever effort, especially on fast downhill runs. I seem to have read here somewhere that the brakes get better with miles. Another reason to keep riding.

I am searching for alternatives to the OEM chrome gas cap. It looks a bit hokey and almost seems an afterthought on our red/white/black beauties. I can't believe it is not hinged! Anybody found a good alternative? I'd still like to use the ignition key for security. I suppose I could get the OEM cap powdercoated.... hmmm.

Thanks, I have 900 miles so far and the brakes work decent enough. just wondering if the braided lines are worth it or not.

I second that.. I hate that freaking chrome cap with a passion . I know I know, just ride the bike and forget about what it looks like, or with mud on the cap you cant see what it looks like anyway.. bla bla, but I ride and I get it dirty.. I still hate chrome ha ha ha.. I dont even care if it locks. I considered painting it, maybe a vinyl wrap?
goondock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 07:44 AM   #2796
MentalGuru
Crazy Diamond
 
MentalGuru's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2011
Location: Mental Ward
Oddometer: 726
Quote:
Originally Posted by goondock View Post
Thanks, I have 900 miles so far and the brakes work decent enough. just wondering if the braided lines are worth it or not.

I second that.. I hate that freaking chrome cap with a passion . I know I know, just ride the bike and forget about what it looks like, or with mud on the cap you cant see what it looks like anyway.. bla bla, but I ride and I get it dirty.. I still hate chrome ha ha ha.. I dont even care if it locks. I considered painting it, maybe a vinyl wrap?

The gas cap might be the same as the XR650L one. If it is there is a black powercoated version.


Braided lines are well worth it. They expand less which improves feel and braking power.

One of the keys to having good brakes is breaking(bedding) them in properly.


Here is a link that explains how to proper /break bed in new brakes. It is for a car just use 45mph instead of 60mph unless hard race type pads are used..

http://zeckhausen.com/bedding_in_brakes.htm

MentalGuru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 08:02 AM   #2797
MentalGuru
Crazy Diamond
 
MentalGuru's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2011
Location: Mental Ward
Oddometer: 726
Just a heads up... I started a "CRF250L Engine Control Details and Tech thread"

Here's the link.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=859501

I will add more when I have someone to type for me again...

MentalGuru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 08:22 AM   #2798
Bob80
Adventurer
 
Joined: Sep 2012
Location: Canada
Oddometer: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by MentalGuru View Post
Just a heads up... I started a "CRF250L Engine Control Details and Tech thread"

Here's the link.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=859501

I will add more when I have someone to type for me again...

I added the Abbev. Table from the Helm manual there also, noticed you said you thought it was a PROM PCM rather then an EEPROM, however the table says EEPROM, weather this is better or worse, I'll leave it in your hands (when ya find a typer...) to go into more detail

Bob80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 08:40 AM   #2799
goondock
Adventurer
 
Joined: Oct 2012
Location: Plymouth Meeting PA
Oddometer: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by MentalGuru View Post
The gas cap might be the same as the XR650L one. If it is there is a black powercoated version.


Braided lines are well worth it. They expand less which improves feel and braking power.

One of the keys to having good brakes is breaking(bedding) them in properly.


Here is a link that explains how to proper /break bed in new brakes. It is for a car just use 45mph instead of 60mph unless hard race type pads are used..

http://zeckhausen.com/bedding_in_brakes.htm

Thanks Mental
goondock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 08:42 AM   #2800
MentalGuru
Crazy Diamond
 
MentalGuru's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2011
Location: Mental Ward
Oddometer: 726
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob80 View Post
I added the Abbev. Table from the Helm manual there also, noticed you said you thought it was a PROM PCM rather then an EEPROM, however the table says EEPROM, weather this is better or worse, I'll leave it in your hands (when ya find a typer...) to go into more detail


I saw your post. Thanks, it will cross references the terms I'm using as needed for anyone that needs it.

I'll be adding more info but hope to keep the post on topic. If it does I can fix it thou....


Here's the difference.

PROM is programable read only memory type controller.

EEPROM is eletronicly erasable programable read only memory type controller. This means can be reprogramed/flash programed.

Does the book specifiy which type of memory Honda is using??? I haven't found that out yet.

MentalGuru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 09:27 AM   #2801
Lost Rider
Roadie
 
Lost Rider's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2006
Location: Ventura County, California Republic
Oddometer: 3,109
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed@Ford View Post
BUT YES, all road tests I've seen they give the CRF poor marks on the front brakes....one speculated that the pads are probably VERY hard....but be cautious in swapping pads...I put some aftermarket pads on my XR400R...yeah they worked good...but they ATE the $$$$ front rotor....

Lost Rider: You got an opinion on this? Your recent ride looks like it mighta included some significant front brake usage


I think the stock and slightly softer, but the consistent, predictable brakes are just fine as they are on this bike for us, being setup for dirt riding with knobby tires. Now that they are worn in there's more than enough braking power for the available traction aggressive knobbies provide on pavement, and for Nancy not having touchy brakes that would lock up easily on dirt is mo better and safer IMO. The higher performance anything is on a bike, the easier it is for a (new) rider to make mistakes that could be costly. I've seen Nancy crash on my Berg' that has very powerful and sensitive Brembo brakes from locking the front wheel up on gravel, that incident resulted in 5 stitches, same thing with more power on tap that can easily cause a crash when it gets away from you.
The LRP is just right, having enough braking and power to get the job done (having fun) without being too sensitive all around, for us at least. When you're talking about riding dirt, better tires will help more than any brake mods IMO, if there's no traction, then how powerful the brakes are becomes irrelevant.
__________________
Photography for me is not about recreating what I saw through
the viewfinder but to show people the way I want to see the world.

LostRider.com
Lost Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 09:52 AM   #2802
MentalGuru
Crazy Diamond
 
MentalGuru's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2011
Location: Mental Ward
Oddometer: 726
You hit the nail square on the head.

They are built/designed to be forgiving on the brakes. That is why with good traction they lack some power, it's that power that gets new riders in trouble.

Knobby tires and good brakes will get you into trouble quick if your not careful... Trust me I know...

MentalGuru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 10:17 AM   #2803
Lost Rider
Roadie
 
Lost Rider's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2006
Location: Ventura County, California Republic
Oddometer: 3,109
Thanks!

That's why folks should take what the reviewers in MC mags write with a grain of salt as most times they are good riders and while not saying so, they are comparing the bike against higher performance bikes, failing to review bikes like the LRP in a perspective as to who will be buying it or it's true intended design. Less can be more in many situations.

The LRP is perfect for what it is designed to be, not too hot, not too cold, the porridge is just right on this one. When Nancy develops enough skills and has better control, we'll buy a higher performance bike with better brakes, more power, better suspension, etc. because at the end of the day no matter how many upgrades you do to it, it's still a LRP. No sense in building up a $7000, 320+ pound, 25hp dirt bike, for us at least. And basically stock it's just perfect for some time to come and many (s)miles for us. I've never tried to travel on a 250 before, and 'get it' now.... it's a fun bike as it is.











__________________
Photography for me is not about recreating what I saw through
the viewfinder but to show people the way I want to see the world.

LostRider.com
Lost Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 10:47 AM   #2804
Krono
Speed Junkie
 
Joined: Oct 2012
Location: Heidiland
Oddometer: 193
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost Rider View Post
....
And basically stock it's just perfect for some time to come and many (s)miles for us. I've never tried to travel on a 250 before, and 'get it' now.... it's a fun bike as it is.
...
Im not in your shoes, but the 13/42 well worth more than it costs.
Probably the one and only mod really "needed" for this bike.

L
__________________
SM510R
Krono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 10:53 AM   #2805
Lost Rider
Roadie
 
Lost Rider's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2006
Location: Ventura County, California Republic
Oddometer: 3,109
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krono View Post
Im not in your shoes, but the 13/42 well worth more than it costs.
Probably the one and only mod really "needed" for this bike.

L


We have a 13t front sprocket, agreed, a must have for dirt riding and great value for the small money spent. If we were commuting only I'd probably leave it alone stock, and doubt we'll change the rear so we can still cruise at 65-70mph on the highway. A good compromise for us.
__________________
Photography for me is not about recreating what I saw through
the viewfinder but to show people the way I want to see the world.

LostRider.com
Lost Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 05:01 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014