Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-05-2013, 05:01 PM   #2941
SugarDust
Kulia i ka nu'u

Oddometer: 825
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed@Ford View Post
Just be aware that a sprocket that small aggravates chain stresses, and messes up the angles of the chain and may saw into the wear bars on your swing arm....owners of WR250R Yamahas learned some ugly $$$$$ lessons about NOT going small on C/S sprockets.
yes short time use only and I'm not really an aggressive rider

2013 KTM 250 XC-W
2013 Honda CRF250L
2011 BMW F650GS

SugarDust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 05:30 PM   #2942
Harcomo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRFSoCal View Post
Ok so I just got back from a couples days out in the desert and when i washed my bike i realized my chain has begun to rust. Like lots of spots on the outside of the links and inside. Do i just lube it and it will be fine or should I replace it?

A little rust on your chain isn't going to affect the function of it.....just maintain it with some good chain lube and go ride!
Harcomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 07:08 PM   #2943
k4lcartman
n00b

Oddometer: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Bob View Post
I was thinking of keeping the steel shifter because if it bent you could straighten it, vs a cast aftermarket one snapping. Then I saw this post on RideAsia.net! .

"a fall on a CRF 250 L resulted in a broken gear lever which sheared the selector shaft off at the engine casing, meaning the rider had to ride all the way back in 3rd gear. This is the 3rd CRF 250L this has happened to in Chiang Mai."

Anyone else have this happen?

Bear in mind there are a lot of CRF250Ls in Chiang Mai and they're "ab-used" as rentals.
this did happen to me aswell. honda warranted the shafter paid for all the labor. and i upgraded my lever to a folding one i robbed off a yz125.
k4lcartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 07:33 PM   #2944
Fytclub
Adventurer

Oddometer: 17
I would go muffler, sprocket, EJK then pipe. Replacing the muffler was the first thing I did and it made a huge difference. All of them together made the bike awesome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish769 View Post
I'm seriously considering an EJK FI controller. With the Law Enforcement discount it's hard to pass up. I'm wondering if the benefits are worth the cost if the bike is otherwise stock. I don't know if I will ever replace the muffler but would appreciate the benefits of fuel delivery improvements. Has anyone installed one of these to a stock system? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Fytclub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 08:43 PM   #2945
Irish769
Wanna-be

Oddometer: 36
Ejk

Thanks for the replies on the FI controller. This bike will unfortunately spend most of it's time on the road. I have very few options for of- road here in flyover country. I will take it out to Colorado in the summer for some fire road type excursions but that will be about as wild as it gets. With that in mind would the change in sprockets still be the way to go before adding the EJK? Sorry, I know this is basic stuff to most of you but being a roadie all my life it's very new to me...
Thanks again for all the info.
2013 CRF 250L
Irish769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 09:11 PM   #2946
gaw777
Adventurer

Oddometer: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by gnath9 View Post
I have a Race Tech on order but other than hearing great things about it, I can't really comment yet. It better be good because it was very expensive. ($721.00)
Please keep us posted on the Race Tech. The only other person who I saw give a review was Ramz and he said it was worth every $$$$.
I ride this bike 80% off road and the shock is too soft, front too. And am very close to pulling the trigger on the Race Tech. Have a local shop who will re-valve the front for me.

FYI: I just installed the q4 , the megabomb, and the fuel programmer. Already had the 13t front sprocket. It's a new bike. I agree that my ktm 690 will out run and out gun my lrp, but i can touch the ground with both feet on the lrp . Even if I install the Race Tech shock and re-valve the front, it is still several thousands less than my ktm with only modest modification, and did I mention I can touch the ground with both feet

Don't get me wrong I love my ktm, what an amazing bike, and it has gobs of power and crazy torque on the trail, a bit too much for my ability right now. Last week the lrp climbed everything I asked her to climb, mostly in 2nd gear and with extra power to spare
Good luck to all who are still looking.
Old 02-05-2013, 09:27 PM   #2947
CR250R
StllSmokin

Oddometer: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fytclub View Post
I would go muffler, sprocket, EJK then pipe. Replacing the muffler was the first thing I did and it made a huge difference. All of them together made the bike awesome.
Did the EJK come with any sort of guide/instructions or starting point?. Usually I'd just re-jet but obviously this bike is FI and I'm not sure how exactly to tune a bike without a carb.
CR250R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 01:04 AM   #2948
cat
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,323
Yes. Check the website. No need for the "pre-programmed" gimmick of BDSB.
...Or for fake ceramic coating.

cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 05:18 AM   #2949
Ed@Ford
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,427
shift shaft

Interesting note that the dealer warranted the broken shift shaft. Makes one reconsider the multi-year warranty that Honda offered on this bike. It was very reasonably priced, and even the price of the 3 year extended warranty is probably less than all the labor involved in replacing the shift shaft.
Ed@Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 05:20 AM   #2950
Ed@Ford
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cat View Post
Yes, the "preprogrammng" provided by BDSB is what EJK comes with!!
Old 02-06-2013, 06:12 AM   #2951
RockinTheRVA
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 105
Any opinions on the new LRP for cross country riding? I know it's no GS, but could a young guy with a sense of adventure feasibly ride this thing long distance? The killer gas mileage and FI are very appealing to me.
RockinTheRVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 06:21 AM   #2952
Ed@Ford
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockinTheRVA View Post
Any opinions on the new LRP for cross country riding? I know it's no GS, but could a young guy with a sense of adventure feasibly ride this thing long distance? The killer gas mileage and FI are very appealing to me.
Read www dot bigdogadventures dot com....especially alaska and back on a WR250R Yamaha...and I believe the CRF will be more comfortable than the WRR...and Mark does not mess with engine mods...he leaves them alone
Old 02-06-2013, 07:27 AM   #2953
gnath9
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 226
Quote:
Originally Posted by cat View Post
CRF's Only just lowered their price. When I purchased from BDSB they were cheaper
gnath9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 07:32 AM   #2954
gnath9
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 226
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish769 View Post
Thanks for the replies on the FI controller. This bike will unfortunately spend most of it's time on the road. I have very few options for of- road here in flyover country. I will take it out to Colorado in the summer for some fire road type excursions but that will be about as wild as it gets. With that in mind would the change in sprockets still be the way to go before adding the EJK? Sorry, I know this is basic stuff to most of you but being a roadie all my life it's very new to me...
Thanks again for all the info.
I think if I was you ... I would just go with a 13 c/s sprocket as others have claimed it increased their top end. The thing just lacks power for its gearing.

just my 2 cents
gnath9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 07:32 AM   #2955
Bksports88
Adventurer

Oddometer: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by gnath9 View Post
I ordered one a week ago Sunday and got it on Saturday (he said it would ship Thursday) but, It said programmer to follow.... and that was my main reson for choosing them. (pre programmed) Maybe I better send off an email. Also I did contact him before I placed my order because I had heard of some issues with past orders.
So you got your kit minus the pre programmed programmer in about a week? Now Im starting to get upset with BSDB, Been waiting over a month now, atleast its winter in VA