Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-09-2013, 07:11 PM   #3076
Oldtimer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 364
Quote:
Originally Posted by trainman View Post
Ed@Ford, glad to see you got your bike, we are probably the oldest two guys with CRF250L on this forum, from what I figure we have 134 years experience between us and we bought CRF250L's, what were we think'in.

John
Add me in and now we're up to 210 years. One of the BIG reasons I bought the CRF was I could touch the ground and not get nose bleed while sitting on the seat.
Oldtimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 07:16 PM   #3077
gnath9
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 226
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilswitzerlandrider View Post
Your seat height measurement is the same as what honda lists in their specs. The corbin didn't lower it any?
No it did not. Also when riding I felt a little taller in the saddle (not sure why) but when I got back home I measured and it was spot on with the stock seat. I measured that before I removed it.

Even tho I only have a 30 inch inseam I was not after lowering it and really was not a concern. I learned a long time ago it's best to keep your feet on the pegs .... lol
gnath9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 07:28 PM   #3078
gnath9
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyBlackIrish View Post
Well now it's my turn! I think the all black is the way to go just as you did. When you went on your 40 miles did you get any monkey but from the vibes?
not at all ... first ride went very well. I do feel it needs some break in time and will get even better
Old 02-09-2013, 07:31 PM   #3079
Ed@Ford
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,427
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyBlackIrish View Post
Also, looked up dual sport tires after I responded and this is one site that had links to manufacturers and also some good info explaining the differences.

http://www.dualsport.co/dual-sport-tires.html
Nice site, but no mention of Shinko tires. I have some 705s on my KLR650, and my buddy put them on his WR250R. VERY nice if you're 70% pavement use. The WR shod with these can be ridden very quickly indeed. Very nice on good hard gravel. They are reasonably priced as a pair are about $100. I'm a long way from needing tires for my CRF as it has no mileage yet...cold salty, nasty in Michigan at the moment. I use Dunlop 606 on my XR400R where the surface can be loose dirt, some sand or a little muddy, but I don't find that stuff as much fun as I used to. 606s are surprisingly good on pavement, and you can get away with some SERIOUS hard braking on very crooked pavement, but the front has to be run VERY hard to keep the knobs from cupping. Be VERY cautious on wet pavement though!
Ed@Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 09:13 PM   #3080
Kankujoe
Adventure Traveller

Oddometer: 154
[QUOTE=bigbluecreek;20676756]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kankujoe View Post

the racks and bags all came from TCI Products. It comes as a kit with all included but i changed out the top case to the larger Pelican Case. the side bags are a little small and are not waterproof. they come with a cover that seems to work. Forgot one time and they do leak some inside. It all installed fairly easily. the nice part is the top case is removable by pulling pin and lifting it up. I could just take the top case off and leave in hotel at night.
Thanks for the reply!

I'll check out TCI Products.

2012 Suzuki V-Strom-ADV, 2011 Kawasaki Versys, 2008 Yamaha TW200, 2013 Honda CRF250L

I'm never lost... Because I'm always right where I'm at...
Kankujoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 09:35 PM   #3081
DirtyBlackIrish
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 151
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed@Ford View Post
Nice site, but no mention of Shinko tires. I have some 705s on my KLR650, and my buddy put them on his WR250R. VERY nice if you're 70% pavement use. The WR shod with these can be ridden very quickly indeed. Very nice on good hard gravel. They are reasonably priced as a pair are about $100. I'm a long way from needing tires for my CRF as it has no mileage yet...cold salty, nasty in Michigan at the moment. I use Dunlop 606 on my XR400R where the surface can be loose dirt, some sand or a little muddy, but I don't find that stuff as much fun as I used to. 606s are surprisingly good on pavement, and you can get away with some SERIOUS hard braking on very crooked pavement, but the front has to be run VERY hard to keep the knobs from cupping. Be VERY cautious on wet pavement though!
Thats good info Ed@Ford. I am planning on the 606's as I have tons of mud and loose trash to bash around in here in Washington. I had never heard of the 705's until now and will do some research. Thanks for the info!
Old 02-09-2013, 10:07 PM   #3082
Rad_Leo
n00b

Oddometer: 8
Dove Springs

Apart from the bars (jumped on the Easton deal) and grips, the bike is all stock. Looks like the thread's been a little wiley lately, so here are some stills from my gopro to help with the winter blues. Hopefully I'll have some time to edit the footage soon. Cheers

Rad_Leo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 12:00 AM   #3083
DirtyBlackIrish
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 151
Those 705's don't look like they would do very well on the trails I have been riding. But then I am only basing that on what I have seen offroad tires look on other models. How can they bite without any lugs?
Old 02-10-2013, 03:43 AM   #3084
trainman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 388
Oldtimer, thanks for joining the group with Ed and myself, we are now at the average age of 70. I ride with around 10-12 old timers, all between 67-75 and many are all going to the 250 cc class of bikes for our dual sport riding. I'm the first in the group with the CRF250L, others have the WR250R. Biggest question I get from my riding buddies is, "What did you say the list price on that bike is", they have been kicking my tires a lot and asking questions.

John
trainman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 03:43 AM   #3085
yard dog
cheap but not free

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAPB View Post
Anybody have a chance to use a GPS to see how accurate the speedo is without sprocket changes? I'm contemplating sprocket changes, which would mean the speedo calibrator, as well. Hoping they are wrong, talk of getting several feet of snow here Friday, a Noreaster, as they are known around here. Hey, buy a bike, crappy winter.
Checking my speedo against my Garmin 60CSX yesterday I found the speedo reads about 1 mph fast. I checked it on flat ground at speeds from 20 to 60 and it appeared to be the same at all speeds. Got it off the pavement for the first time yesterday and rode to the confluence of the Mississippi and Missouri rivers. The LRP is so much better than my 93 XR250L in so many respects. It cruised effortlessly at 60 MPH up the Great River Road, vibration was absolutely minimal, the stock seat is one of the best I've ever had, handling was good both on the pavement and off. The #1 thing I love is no more kicking my brains out trying to get it started after it sitting in the garage all week. Touch the button and it fires right up. With only 350 miles on it so far I'm hesitant to rave too much but if it remains as reliable as my 93 was, I know I will keep this one a long time as well Ken
yard dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 04:53 AM   #3086
Ed@Ford
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by yard dog View Post
Checking my speedo against my Garmin 60CSX yesterday I found the speedo reads about 1 mph fast. I checked it on flat ground at speeds from 20 to 60 and it appeared to be the same at all speeds. Got it off the pavement for the first time yesterday and rode to the confluence of the Mississippi and Missouri rivers. The LRP is so much better than my 93 XR250L in so many respects. It cruised effortlessly at 60 MPH up the Great River Road, vibration was absolutely minimal, the stock seat is one of the best I've ever had, handling was good both on the pavement and off. The #1 thing I love is no more kicking my brains out trying to get it started after it sitting in the garage all week. Touch the button and it fires right up. With only 350 miles on it so far I'm hesitant to rave too much but if it remains as reliable as my 93 was, I know I will keep this one a long time as well Ken
Yup...you got that right...better selection of gears than the XR250R/L, and the "magic button"
Old 02-10-2013, 04:58 AM   #3087
Ed@Ford
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by trainman View Post
Oldtimer, thanks for joining the group with Ed and myself, we are now at the average age of 70. I ride with around 10-12 old timers, all between 67-75 and many are all going to the 250 cc class of bikes for our dual sport riding. I'm the first in the group with the CRF250L, others have the WR250R. Biggest question I get from my riding buddies is, "What did you say the list price on that bike is", they have been kicking my tires a lot and asking questions.

John
Exactly, Dual Sporting and the CRF250L draw such a diverse crowd....from the first timer, to riders who have ridden for 50 or 60 years, putzes to pros. Folks that choose to wax their CRF's to those who look for the deepest mudholes. It's the most diverse bunch in motorcycling, as it has all possible extremes in every phase of ownership/usage.
Old 02-10-2013, 05:58 AM   #3088
gnath9
Gnarly Adventurer

It's going to be 45 here today and maybe some rain so if it's not too windy I might get to ride a little again today !!!
Not bad for Feb 10th
Old 02-10-2013, 06:27 AM   #3089
cat
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,323
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRadioFlyer View Post
Im looking into a 2nd set of wheels 17 inch for a more aggressive street setup. The only resource I can find is http://www.wheelingcyclesupply.com/s.../12/1459.shtml is there any other options out there? Any help or point in the right direction would be much appreciated
WARP 9 wheels. You should see the thread on supermotojunkie forum, Street Tards subforum. I'll post the link in PM to you - if that's possible.

cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 06:29 AM   #3090
siyeh
Lawn Nazi

Oddometer: 1,472
According to my Garmin Nuvi 550, my speedo also reads 1 to 2 mph high. Has anyone just changed the rear sprocket to more teeth and left the front sprocket stock? If so, what were your results? Pleased?
siyeh is offline   Reply With Quote