Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-10-2013, 07:31 AM   #3091
trainman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 388
RedRadioFlyer, there is a seller on Craigslist in Dallas selling all parts from a CBR250, I think it was a 2010 model. Don't know what size the wheels the bike came with from the factory, or if they would even work.

John
trainman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 09:06 AM   #3092
Rob.G
Mostly Harmless

Oddometer: 2,024
I run the 705's on my DR650 and love them. They're better off-road than their appearance would suggest. I've also run the Shinko 700's, which are a little better than the 705's off-road, but don't wear nearly as well, and don't handle anywhere near as well on pavement. The 705 might as well be a sportbike tire when it comes to pavement. :)

On my KLX, I've been running the Kenda Trackmaster II's (K760) and like them. The rear will wear pretty quickly on pavement, but they handle quite well on and off-road. I may try the Michelin T63 next as they don't cost much more.

Rob
'10 Kawasaki KLX351S #320
Rob.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 09:40 AM   #3093
cat
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,323
footpegs

i got the DRC footpegs, wider, better, black wrinkle powdercoat. (Not the colour in this catalog pic.) They fit perfectly. They're probably a few grams heavier than the OEM footpegs.

DRC catalog lists the same part number for CRF250R, CRF450R, CR125, CR250...so if you want light Al footpegs, anything for CRF250/450 would probably fit.

cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 10:36 AM   #3094
DirtyBlackIrish
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 151
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob.G View Post
I run the 705's on my DR650 and love them. They're better off-road than their appearance would suggest. I've also run the Shinko 700's, which are a little better than the 705's off-road, but don't wear nearly as well, and don't handle anywhere near as well on pavement. The 705 might as well be a sportbike tire when it comes to pavement. :)

On my KLX, I've been running the Kenda Trackmaster II's (K760) and like them. The rear will wear pretty quickly on pavement, but they handle quite well on and off-road. I may try the Michelin T63 next as they don't cost much more.

Rob

Yeah they are certainly deceptive from appearance. Do you end up in much mud and if so, how do they handle in that regard? Have you ar anyone you know ever used the Kenda 270's?
Old 02-10-2013, 10:45 AM   #3095
RedRadioFlyer
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Thumb

Lost, Irish, Cat, Trainman
Thanks for all the info and links, it is much appreciated
ill post pics once i get a set installed
Old 02-10-2013, 10:50 AM   #3096
Lost Rider
Roadie

Oddometer: 3,093
Here's a Shinko 700 after 700 miles and it came apart @ 75mph on I-5 while I was riding back from DV. Granted it was on a heavy, more powerful bike at the time, but I for one wont be running a 700 ever again. My life is worth more than saving a few bucks, and it flashed before me on this ride.

Here's a Shinko 705 with 5000+ miles on it, got me home from the Arctic Circle. Basically it's the same as a Meztler Tourance, but half the price. I see it as a great commuter tire, would probably last a long time on a LRP.

The 705 is a good street tire for DS bikes, have ran quite a few sets and have them on our GS now, wouldn't want to depend on it for much off tarmac use though, see quote below from Jimmy Lewis. I agree completely and have followed that line of thought when outfitting bikes for DS duty, that's why we run a D606 rear and Pirelli XC front on the LRP.
If you don't know who he is, here's his site. His opinions are formed from experience few people in the world have, so no, we're not all equal in our opinions here on ADV.

http://jimmylewisoffroad.com/jimmy-lewis-bio/

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Lewis View Post
Here is the first batch of Noob Answers, fielded from questions PMed to me on ADV Rider. Though I have been riding, racing and teaching motorcycle riding for the better part of my life, Ive never forgotten the thrill of the early days and the mistakes that come along with learning.

I have an 07 KTM 990 I am riding right now. Came with Mefo Explorers. Opinion for their use in DV?

Tires are one of the most overlooked components on an adventure bike and Im surprised by how many riders will try and get away with riding a round tire off-road. If you do not have a blocked-knob-type tire, one with good-sized openings in the tread, you are flirting with disaster in the dirt. All it takes is running your hand across to different types of tires to feel the difference in adhesion and bite the knobby affords you. And to make it worse, the performance of the knobby really comes into play when you really need it, especially in turning or braking. A round tire just slides on top the dirt and has little bite to stop the sliding.

Specifically the Mefo is a less aggressive knobby-type tire that compromises a little bit on the longevity side for less outright dirt traction. It has enough openings on the side of the tire to have more bite than a street tire but its definitely not a Kenda Big Block or a Continental TKC 80 when you really need it.

What it comes down to for me is this: Would I rather change tires more often or wait the six weeks to have the cast taken off my ankle from the sudden and unexpected crash that happened to me because I was on the wrong tires? And as much as the saving money part comes into the discussion, we all know which one of those scenarios is les expensive, right?

Keep practicing and getting ready and I'll see you in DV... Oh, and keep the questions coming, PM for best results.

JIMMY

LostRider.com

Lost Rider screwed with this post 02-10-2013 at 11:18 AM
Lost Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 11:59 AM   #3097
Bob80
Adventurer

Oddometer: 80
Good read above...any thoughts/experience on the Mefo?...looks kinda interesting

Thx
Bob80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 12:11 PM   #3098
DirtyBlackIrish
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 151
Great site!!! That guy has done some serious racing. Man that tire looked bad. I bet your life flashed. I will learn from your experience I think hahahahaha.
Old 02-10-2013, 12:16 PM   #3099
Irish769
Wanna-be

Oddometer: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by dangerdawg View Post
Hey Irish - what part of Nebraska you call home? I'm in Denton, just west of Lincoln - maybe we can go riding.
S.E. Lincoln....Spittin' distance from Denton!
2013 CRF 250L
Irish769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 12:17 PM   #3100
SugarDust
Kulia i ka nu'u

Oddometer: 816
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob80 View Post
Good read above...any thoughts/experience on the Mefo?...looks kinda interesting

Thx
Mefo scouts are good 50/50 tires - I run them on my F650GS, but on the $$ side

2013 KTM 250 XC-W
2013 Honda CRF250L
2011 BMW F650GS

SugarDust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 12:19 PM   #3101
Oldtimer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 361
Quote:
Originally Posted by trainman View Post
Oldtimer, thanks for joining the group with Ed and myself, we are now at the average age of 70. I ride with around 10-12 old timers, all between 67-75 and many are all going to the 250 cc class of bikes for our dual sport riding. I'm the first in the group with the CRF250L, others have the WR250R. Biggest question I get from my riding buddies is, "What did you say the list price on that bike is", they have been kicking my tires a lot and asking questions.

John
Thanks for the greeting. I had a 97 KLX250 before and even though I had the lowering links on it, it was still too tall. I put the lowered Seat Concept seat on the CRF and that makes it doable with out lowering. I think I'm going to get many years (if I have many left LOL) out of this bike. I get a kick out of this bike being described as a beginner. At my advanced age of 76, I wondering if it's an "ender." LOL I've pretty well run the circuit, starting with the Cushman in 1950.
Oldtimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 12:47 PM   #3102
roundtripping
Adventourist

Oddometer: 1,702
Quote:
Originally Posted by SugarDust View Post
Sounds like you're confusing the MEFO and the Heidenau...

My SPOT Tracker
roundtripping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 12:50 PM   #3103
Lost Rider
Roadie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob80 View Post

Thx

I thought the Mefo explorer, which is/feels like basically the same tire as the Heidenau K60 Scout methinks was less than confidence inspiring on pavement and on dirt. I didn't like the way it learned into turns and was vague in feedback, just letting go once you hit the threshold of traction in the twisties, kinda made it fun for sliding around corners, but not really ideal.
For the price I don't see the value, a TKC-80 is better all around IMO, at least when you're talking $200 tires.

Now the Mefo Super Explorer is a very good DS tire, ran one last fall pre-running the Baja 1000 race course, 3000 miles total, one rear tire. Pretty good compromise DS tire, but it only comes in a 140/18 and would be too big for a LRP unfortunately.

The Kenda Big Block might be another good DS compromise tire for the LRP, we've had good experiences with them riding the Continental Divide Route a couple years ago, good road manners, good dirt traction. Decent wearing.

Tires are about the most subjective thing on a motorcycle though, the main thing I believe like Jimmy states is to go with the best tire you can for in the dirt if that's where you'll be riding.

It's OK to mis-match tires too, like having a knobby front with a DS rear if you're commuting and riding trails in the same week. Better turning and stopping power off tarmac with the front, better wear on the street with the rear.

If the LRP was my one do it all bike, I would run a D606 front and a Shinko 705 rear, or Kenda Big Block rear, depending on how much pavement I was riding daily and my tire budget for the month. For specific multi day dirt adventures I would change the rear to a knobby for the trip, the rest of the time a combo setup would be a good compromise.

There's few tires I haven't ran, though my opinion is just another FF's opinion. YYMV.

LostRider.com
Old 02-10-2013, 01:10 PM   #3104
Lost Rider
Roadie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyBlackIrish View Post
Great site!!! That guy has done some serious racing. Man that tire looked bad. I bet your life flashed. I will learn from your experience I think hahahahaha.

Jimmy is the man, and for anyone that can make it to one of his classes it's the best money spent if you want to up your game in the dirt on the LRP IMHO.
He will be at the ADVrider n00b Rally in Death Valley coming up, for anyone on the Left Coast... great place to get some dirt experience.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=841673

Yeah, that Shinko episode was a serious pucker factor. Rode it out across 5 lanes of heavy traffic to get to the shoulder. One of those special moments in MC life. Lots of people have ran them without that experience, but I wont be doing that again or putting them on the LRP.

LostRider.com
Old 02-10-2013, 01:10 PM   #3105
Ed@Ford
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,418
Quote:
Originally Posted by SugarDust View Post
Yup...ran Mefos on my F650 BMW Dakar....have since become very pricey... I didn't make the astronomical mileage folks often claim...and I'm pretty easy on tires
Ed@Ford is offline   Reply With Quote