Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-14-2013, 09:53 AM   #3226
Lost Rider
Roadie

Oddometer: 3,137
It would be just horrible to have someone shove a semi flexible object up your tail pipe AND then get a ticket to boot. :ymca

That's the main reason I don't mess with modding OEM exhaust, there are plenty of guys with badges who like to try and stick it to you out here, but wildfires are rightfully a major concern in this area.

LostRider.com
Lost Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 09:54 AM   #3227
Ed@Ford
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,443
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost Rider View Post
It would be just horrible to have someone shove a semi flexible object up your tail pipe AND then get a ticket to boot. :ymca

That's the main reason I don't mess with exhaust, there are plenty of guys with badges who like to try and stick it to you out here, but wildfires are rightfully a major concern in this area.
and NO K-Y either!!
Ed@Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 09:56 AM   #3228
Charleston
Adventurer

Oddometer: 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harcomo View Post
Right after the first of the year, I ordered an FMF Q4 slip-on muffler for my 250L because I liked the idea of the weight savings and the nice look of the muffler and stainless midpipe. Well, after two different short jaunts around town on a couple of nice afternoons, I can now say that the Q4 is a touch too loud for an old guy like me. It's a shame because otherwise I really like the looks of it and it's a heck of a lot lighter than the stock muffler. So this afternoon, I put the stock muffler back on and took a spin around the block and I'm happy once again!Yep, quiet is good for me, but I just had to find out for myself and now I know I like that stock muffler better than I had thought! I'll probably put the Q4 up for sale in the Flea Market forum and maybe someone else can use it on their 250L.
Quite is nice, I have to be in stealth mode for some of the riding I do. But other places I ride I have to pick my bike up pretty often and it would be nice to lose the weight high up like that. Did you weigh the two to see the weight difference? I seem to remember someone saying it was a really big difference like 10lbs.

A quiet and light option would be great if someone comes up with one.
Old 02-14-2013, 10:02 AM   #3229
Charleston
Adventurer

OK quite, light and with legal spark arrester. And how about cheap and adds a bunch of power too.
Old 02-14-2013, 10:19 AM   #3230
Oldtimer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 367
Oil capacity

Owners manual states 1.6 qts when changing the filter. I added that amount, started the bike to let it warm up, shut it off, let the oil drain down and nothing shows on the sight glass. Ended up putting in two qts to get it to half way up the sight glass. The bike was on the rack in an upright position, not on the side stand. What gives? Manual wrong? Thanks
Oldtimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 10:30 AM   #3231
Oldtimer
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed@Ford View Post
CRF250L Service manuals are back in print and available at Helm Inc 1-888-292-5393 61KZZ00 is the part #...credit cards only
I was waiting for them to notify me via email but you're much quicker. Thanks, it's on it's way.
Old 02-14-2013, 10:31 AM   #3232
SAPB
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,403
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed@Ford View Post
The important thing to remember, the way a US Forest Ranger checks for a functional spark arrestor is he shoves a semi flexible rod up your tailpipe, and he expects it to only go in about a foot or so...and if you haven't looked, you can see the "USFS Approval" stamped into the 4 bolt flange that holds it in place...see pg 56-57 of the owner's manual. Getting caught without this is about a $500 fine and/or bike impound.

EDIT: If you look at the picture of the spark arrestor on RamZ' site you can see the end that is the windows with screen over it...the screen catches the "sparks" that might come out as glowing embers to start forest fires. VERY primitive design...but it is the "law"...without a lot of work, windows cant be enlarged. see also pg 56-57

If you do take all this apart to look/see...reassemble with anti sieze on all threads
Oops, I didn't mean doing anything with the SA, just taking that off, and enlarging the holes in the tube underneath. Seems like if you went a little at a time, you could unleash a little more power, without the sound level getting nasty.

CRF250L Service Manual http://www.hondampe.com.au/docs/owni...F250L13_OM.pdf
SAPB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 10:35 AM   #3233
Bob80
Adventurer

Oddometer: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
Owners manual states 1.6 qts when changing the filter. I added that amount, started the bike to let it warm up, shut it off, let the oil drain down and nothing shows on the sight glass. Ended up putting in two qts to get it to half way up the sight glass. The bike was on the rack in an upright position, not on the side stand. What gives? Manual wrong? Thanks
service manual states " if the level is below the lower level line....fill the crankcase with the recommended oil up to the upper level line

and your correct, this is in an upright position....huh?? strange- 1.8 liters (1.9 US qt) at engine diassembly????

You'd think this should be the ultimate MAX..maybe their both wrong (owner's and service manual)

or you've got a leak!!

Bob80 screwed with this post 02-14-2013 at 10:41 AM Reason: add a tid bit more
Bob80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 10:36 AM   #3234
Oldtimer
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish769 View Post
If someone wouldn't mind dumbing it down and indulging me for a moment....I have a 13T front sprocket on order. The installation seems pretty straight forward. Please correct me if I'm wrong; slack the chain by way of the adjusters on the rear axle, remove the old sprocket, install the new sprocket, adjust the chain - done. Am I missing anything?
Thanks!

That's all I remember and it hasn't fallen off yet.
Old 02-14-2013, 10:49 AM   #3235
trainman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 389
I use Diesel Truck Oil in all my bikes, Rotella T Synthetic, I've only had to replace two engines, 8 clutches, 3 pistons, and a few valves, do you think it's the oil.
John
trainman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 10:51 AM   #3236
SAPB
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,403
Quote:
Originally Posted by trainman View Post
I use Diesel Truck Oil in all my bikes, Rotella T Synthetic, I've only had to replace two engines, 8 clutches, 3 pistons, and a few valves, do you think it's the oil.
John
Oil is heavy. Running no oil would reduce weight.

CRF250L Service Manual http://www.hondampe.com.au/docs/owni...F250L13_OM.pdf
SAPB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 11:16 AM   #3237
Larry Ferguson
Adventurer

Oddometer: 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by gaan View Post
It was purchased with an aftermarket fender. great.
Can you order one from Honda?

'01 Connie
'83 XT 550
'78 XL 350
'73 XL 250
'72 XL 250 (Needs "assembly")
Larry Ferguson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 11:28 AM   #3238
Charleston
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAPB View Post
Oil is heavy. Running no oil would reduce weight.
Ah ha that’s why my Harley is so heavy, I use heavy weight oil. Thanks
Old 02-14-2013, 11:47 AM   #3239
Ed@Ford
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
I was waiting for them to notify me via email but you're much quicker. Thanks, it's on it's way.
Yeah, I told her I was on the waiting list. She sounded like her brain was saying WTF "waiting list". Got the order in...done...2 miles from where I used to work. I'm thrilled also...but had to pay MI sales tax.
Old 02-14-2013, 11:48 AM   #3240
Ed@Ford
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Ferguson View Post
Can you order one from Honda?
GAAN: The emission sticker is on the tip of the fender. Mine says it is Federal and CARB certified...and it's a Michigan bike.

EDIT: The 3 stickers that are on the rear fender are shown in the parts book picture, but are not listed with a part # or price.

I could take a picture of the sticker and email the picture to you...would that make the inspector happy?

Ed@Ford screwed with this post 02-14-2013 at 12:04 PM