Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-30-2012, 06:23 AM   #316
Lucky62
Dreamer Extraordinaire

Oddometer: 43
1. Your bike is fine. Fi will vary rpms upon startup.

2. The only problem I see is comparing this bike to a 650 twin road bike. All do respect... That's just silly. Perhaps this was not the best bike for you if you were expecting 650 power from a 250 dirt oriented single. If you keep the bike and intend to ride it off road I would highly suggest a regear. It is cheap and easy and makes a world of difference. Honda built these bikes to deliver good performance on road and off but almost more importantly, high mpg. This is why the gearing is so tall from the factory

#1......so yours does exactly this too and you've had it checked out and they tell you it's normal? I've been around bikes plenty, FI varies on startup yes.....just like choking a bike, it runs a tad fast until things start warming up then slows....it doesn't go UP then DOWN, then BACK UP. I'm sure if this was as you say NORMAL, my Vstrom would do the same.

#2......as I said, hopefully it feels underpowered because I'm not used to riding a 250, perhaps you should read the whole post before giving your opinion of my silliness or choice of bike. This thing is a SLUG at this point, it's not the first bike I've owned, hopefully after break in, new counter sprocket, fi remap and pipe it will become fun. Right now it is not.

I would like to hear from anyone that has had the rollercoaster idle issue, if anyone has please. I didn't ask for a "Dr. Phil" assesment.
Old 09-30-2012, 06:37 AM   #317
yyz
Adventurer

Oddometer: 38
Mine idles evenly right from start up, it has never varied at all. When I got it the air temps were quite hot, it's cooled way down in Toronto but no change in the idle. The engine did get noticeably smoother after 200 or so miles and pulls a bit harder.
yyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 06:53 AM   #318
Lucky62
Dreamer Extraordinaire

"Mine idles evenly right from start up, it has never varied at all. When I got it the air temps were quite hot, it's cooled way down in Toronto but no change in the idle. The engine did get noticeably smoother after 200 or so miles and pulls a bit harder."

Ok, that makes sense, when I picked it up even the tech that did the PDI looked confused for a sec when it was varying idle. He said something about air temps. I only have 3 miles on the ODO so maybe that's it. Good to hear that it pulls harder after some miles.

Maybe I need to stop worrying and go ride!
Old 09-30-2012, 08:37 AM   #319
Downstater
Adventurer

Oddometer: 70
Wicked

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky62 View Post
1. Your bike is fine. Fi will vary rpms upon startup.

2. The only problem I see is comparing this bike to a 650 twin road bike. All do respect... That's just silly. Perhaps this was not the best bike for you if you were expecting 650 power from a 250 dirt oriented single. If you keep the bike and intend to ride it off road I would highly suggest a regear. It is cheap and easy and makes a world of difference. Honda built these bikes to deliver good performance on road and off but almost more importantly, high mpg. This is why the gearing is so tall from the factory

#1......so yours does exactly this too and you've had it checked out and they tell you it's normal? I've been around bikes plenty, FI varies on startup yes.....just like choking a bike, it runs a tad fast until things start warming up then slows....it doesn't go UP then DOWN, then BACK UP. I'm sure if this was as you say NORMAL, my Vstrom would do the same.

#2......as I said, hopefully it feels underpowered because I'm not used to riding a 250, perhaps you should read the whole post before giving your opinion of my silliness or choice of bike. This thing is a SLUG at this point, it's not the first bike I've owned, hopefully after break in, new counter sprocket, fi remap and pipe it will become fun. Right now it is not.

I would like to hear from anyone that has had the rollercoaster idle issue, if anyone has please. I didn't ask for a "Dr. Phil" assesment.
I thought I was pretty diplomatic lucky. Some thicker skin would go a long way for you. Additionally, If my fairly neutral words offended you, other not so diplomatic people on here will down right piss you off.

Sorry you took it the way you did.

Regarding the varying idle, Post a video. Otherwise it's impossible to know exactly what your talking about. I can tell you that you are the first to complain of such a problem though so far.

250's are not rocket ships but your assessment of this bike as a slug tells me this bike will probably never make you happy. I don't see this bike as a slug at all and I've owned and ridden many thumpers in my 20+ years of riding.

Additionaly, your making opinions and diagnosing what might be nothing after "2 miles" of riding this thing. My advice is to hang up the weestorm for a week and give this bike a good lashing in the woods... Or sell it, I'm sure someone would gladly take that slug off your hands.
Downstater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 09:04 AM   #320
joec63 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 279
Quote:

Had mine awhile now, no ocillations of the rpms at startup. Been pretty consistent since day one.
Old 09-30-2012, 09:08 AM   #321
joec63 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 150ron View Post
Checked out the CRF250L today, nice bike, dealer was out of his mind tho, he wants $5,500 out the door , right...

some crappy cell phone pics i snapped

im 5'9 and could flat foot both feet on the ground, fealt heavier then my XT250 for sure, and the seat is really hard compared to mine, but is a real nice bike, i wanted a test ride, but they wouldnt allow it.

Some other guy was there trying to trade in his 2008 CRF230L for one of them, but he too thought the $1,000 extras in dealer bullshit was not right so he walked out.
Good pics ron...yep, $5500 is nuts.
Old 09-30-2012, 09:26 AM   #322
Lucky62
Dreamer Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Downstater View Post
I thought I was pretty diplomatic lucky. Some thicker skin would go a long way for you. Additionally, If my fairly neutral words offended you, other not so diplomatic people on here will down right piss you off.

Sorry you took it the way you did.

Regarding the varying idle, Post a video. Otherwise it's impossible to know exactly what your talking about. I can tell you that you are the first to complain of such a problem though so far.

250's are not rocket ships but your assessment of this bike as a slug tells me this bike will probably never make you happy. I don't see this bike as a slug at all and I've owned and ridden many thumpers in my 20+ years of riding.

Additionaly, your making opinions and diagnosing what might be nothing after "2 miles" of riding this thing. My advice is to hang up the weestorm for a week and give this bike a good lashing in the woods... Or sell it, I'm sure someone would gladly take that slug off your hands.
I'll just chalk this conversation up to us being from different backgrounds, here in the south we are taught that if we don't have something constructive to say to keep our mouth shut. Sorry if I broke your skin with my comments, just sounded pretty "holier than though" to me.

Ride safe!
Old 09-30-2012, 09:31 AM   #323
G19Tony
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 394
Quote:
Originally Posted by joec63 View Post
Where I live, they want $6350 OTD! I went to Utah and got it for $4499.

Nothing's too cruel if it's funny enough.
G19Tony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 09:36 AM   #324
joec63 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by G19Tony View Post
Where I live, they want $6350 OTD! I went to Utah and got it for $4499.
Yowza, they like to stick it to first adopters but no way I would fall for it either. Got mine for $4395 so I'm not complaining.
Old 09-30-2012, 09:50 AM   #325
G19Tony
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Yowza, they like to stick it to first adopters but no way I would fall for it either. Got mine for $4395 so I'm not complaining.
They add and extra 1500 to everything.

Old 09-30-2012, 10:06 AM   #326
dsn11487
Adventurer

Oddometer: 50
Quote:

Agreed I got two dealers to 5100 OTD started at 5900. Then went to Oklahoma (200 miles away) and paid 4499. Keep calling around. Look at Shawnee Oklahoma Honda or Chattanooga tn. This guys move tons of bikes and don't play games.
Old 09-30-2012, 10:13 AM   #327
'Flagger
..this space for rent..

Oddometer: 2,309
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsn11487 View Post
Agreed I got two dealers to 5100 OTD started at 5900. Then went to Oklahoma (200 miles away) and paid 4499. Keep calling around. Look at Shawnee Oklahoma Honda or Chattanooga tn. This guys move tons of bikes and don't play games.
Question: When buying a bike in-state, don't you pay sales tax and other local fees? Isn't that included in the 'OTD' price? And when buying out of state you don't? But don't you end up paying those taxes and fees when you register the bike in your own state?

Proud to be an inmate of AdvRider.
'Flagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 10:25 AM   #328
joec63 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'Flagger View Post
Question: When buying a bike in-state, don't you pay sales tax and other local fees? Isn't that included in the 'OTD' price? And when buying out of state you don't? But don't you end up paying those taxes and fees when you register the bike in your own state?

Short answer is yes. I prefer to see prices for the bike and whatever else the dealer adds on for true comparison. We all have taxes/title which vary depending on region/State/locality.

joec63 screwed with this post 09-30-2012 at 10:49 AM
joec63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 10:47 AM   #329
G19Tony
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'Flagger View Post
You are correct. I bought my bike in Utah, and took it home to Nevada. Here is the breakdown.

MSRP: 4499.00 OTD in Utah
TAX/TITLE/LICENSE: 393.66 in Nevada
TOTAL: 4892.66

The local store wanted 6350 OTD. Includes TTL.

Difference 1457.34. That's an awful lot of extra dealer fees.

G19Tony screwed with this post 09-30-2012 at 10:54 AM
Old 09-30-2012, 11:07 AM   #330
Downstater
Adventurer

Oddometer: 70
Quote:
I'll just chalk this conversation up to us being from different backgrounds, here in the south we are taught that if we don't have something constructive to say to keep our mouth shut. Sorry if I broke your skin with my comments, just sounded pretty "holier than though" to me.

Ride safe!
Downstater is offline   Reply With Quote