Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-25-2013, 12:30 PM   #3421
Lost Rider
Roadie

Oddometer: 3,094
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueLghtning View Post
I would imagine there is a gasket under that cover? Did you buy a new one or is the old one reusable? Looks like it would be good to check that screen early on and just makes sure its clear.

The gasket stayed on the cover and didn't break, the cardboard/fiber kind, so I'll re reusing it.

I haven't seen any mention of cleaning that screen as part of regular maintenance, maybe it's just there to catch the stuff from when they make the motor and will be fine with some debris in it.... dunno.
Seems like if it was important to have fully cleaned they would mention it for service, can't hurt to clean it though if you like wrenching. There's no mention that I can find about it in the Honda service manual.

LostRider.com

Lost Rider screwed with this post 02-25-2013 at 12:35 PM
Lost Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 01:22 PM   #3422
Infidel707
Adventurer

Oddometer: 19
I actually live 5 miles from a dune ohv area which I've been itching to go to, now I'm worried about these clutch issues. So far I've only played in the training pit as I didn't have a safety flag and wanted to avoid the 150 dollar fee. Now I got the flag and bracket (20 bucks for a piece of plastic!), though I'm questioning whether the flag will hold up on the 55 mph road there.

Has anybody done any highways with 1/4" dune flags mounted? Maybe I should point the bracket at an angle backwards and just hope somebody doesnt come too close and break it at a stop?

Even thought it was just in the training area, I can definitely see the disparity between first and second gear, they need to be a little closer together for offroad; I was either revving high in first or lugging low in second in the circular training pit.
Infidel707 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 01:31 PM   #3423
Rob.G
Mostly Harmless

Oddometer: 2,028
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infidel707 View Post
I actually live 5 miles from a dune ohv area which I've been itching to go to, now I'm worried about these clutch issues. So far I've only played in the training pit as I didn't have a safety flag and wanted to avoid the 150 dollar fee. Now I got the flag and bracket (20 bucks for a piece of plastic!), though I'm questioning whether the flag will hold up on the 55 mph road there.

Has anybody done any highways with 1/4" dune flags mounted? Maybe I should point the bracket at an angle backwards and just hope somebody doesnt come too close and break it at a stop?

Even thought it was just in the training area, I can definitely see the disparity between first and second gear, they need to be a little closer together for offroad; I was either revving high in first or lugging low in second in the circular training pit.
It'll be fine for a short time at 55.

The problem with flags on bikes is they usually break when you fall, and you WILL fall. My friend's flag on his KLX started out 8' tall and ended up around 4' tall by the time we were done with our ride at Florence Dunes in Oregon. I was on my quad so I didn't have that problem. :)

BTW, a paddle tire will do wonders for traction, even on a little 250. Check craigslist... I paid $25 for mine.

Rob
'10 Kawasaki KLX351S #320
Rob.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 01:32 PM   #3424
Avi8tor
ADV Poser

Oddometer: 211
Here's the skinny on the IMS tank.

Available for pre-order now. Probably available in 3 to 4 weeks.

Black or natural for first run.

3.1 gallon capacity.

$274.95 MSRP.
Avi8tor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 01:35 PM   #3425
Charleston
Adventurer

Oddometer: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost Rider View Post
Thanks!

Honestly though I believe this failure was caused by inexperience and too much high revving, wrong gear while slipping the clutch. Brutal sand dune riding conditions with a rider who's never ridden in them.
Few bikes will keep taking what I saw without breaking something IMO.
If this failed under normal conditions I would agree and be exploring a warranty claim, but at least in this circumstance it was rider error that caused it for sure. There's a right way and a wrong way to use a clutch, high rev's in high gears and slipping the clutch isn't the way to do it.
Live and learn, at least the replacement is easy and relatively cheap... just glad we were able to get it home 250+ miles, could have turned into a real PITA.
I’m no expert but I don’t fully get why some of us have gotten the clutch to bite more when we increase the freeplay. Because if it is really “freeplay” shouldn’t there be basically no force counteracting the clutch springs? I’m wondering if factory recommendation for freeplay actually keeps enough tension on the cable to cause some slipping.
Old 02-25-2013, 02:01 PM   #3426
gnath9
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 225
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charleston View Post
I’m no expert but I don’t fully get why some of us have gotten the clutch to bite more when we increase the freeplay. Because if it is really “freeplay” shouldn’t there be basically no force counteracting the clutch springs? I’m wondering if factory recommendation for freeplay actually keeps enough tension on the cable to cause some slipping.
I ordered some zeta "shorty" adjustable levers thinking I may have a little more flexibility in this regard.
gnath9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 02:28 PM   #3427
kiwi5
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 322
torque settings?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost Rider View Post
Clutch replacement DIY.

Long story short, a friend fried the clutch while learning how to ride off road and in sand.... luckily loosening up the clutch cable gave us just enough friction to get home from Death Valley, with the clutch slipping in high gears for the last 20 miles.

After some research I found that EBC makes replacement friction pads and springs for the CRF250L, available locally direct from manufacturer but I have to place the order though this company, then pick up at warehouse:

http://www.perfectbrakes.com

Part # CK1313 for the friction plates and #CSK188 for the springs, which they say are 10% stiffer than OEM.
The steel plates are looking fine and are not warped so I wont be replacing them.
I'll be going by the warehouse to pick them up later today, $65 for plates, $10 for springs.

Here's a DIY of getting the clutch apart, it's pretty straightforward and took me about a half hour to get it open.

Drain oil, drain coolant through drain plug on intake, not much coolant will come out until you loosen the cap on the radiator, then it sprays out all over the place 2-3 feet out from the bike.

Remove hose

disconnect clutch cable, I used a screwdriver to push the lever back to slide it out

Remove brake lever, kick plate, and brake switch bracket.

Remove bracket that holds clutch cable, then oil tube or whatchamacallit.

Remove bolts holding engine case on, in a crisscross patten, Rotate clutch lever counterclockwise to disengage lifter arm spindle while removing the cover.

Remove bolts holding clutch plates in crisscross fashion and then slide out clutch plates.

And for you folks who like to stress/obsess about keeping the LRP tip top, I found this screen hidden behind the cover with plenty of metal flakes and what looked like pieces of case sealant from the factory. I guess there's a pre filter in our bikes.

That's about all there is to it, replace it with new plates and in opposite order, if I find anything while putting it back together I'll edit this post. Don't forget to change the oil @ 600 miles just like when new, the contamination from bedding in the new clutch plates is one of the main reasons for that first oil change.

-Finn
Great post! What were the torque settings for all the little bolts or did you do you just crank it tight?
kiwi5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 02:42 PM   #3428
trainman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 388
Wow, the new IMS tank is $275.00 plus freight that would put it at about $300.00 delivered, I think I will stick with the one gallon Rotopax for $50.00 and be happy, plus I can move it to my other bikes if needed.

John
trainman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 02:44 PM   #3429
'Flagger
..this space for rent..

Oddometer: 2,310
Quote:
Originally Posted by trainman View Post
Wow, the new IMS tank is $275.00 plus freight that would put it at about $300.00 delivered, I think I will stick with the one gallon Rotopax for $50.00 and be happy, plus I can move it to my other bikes if needed.

John
Capacity?

Proud to be an inmate of AdvRider.
'Flagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 02:51 PM   #3430
trainman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 388
3.1, that figures out to, 1 extra gal. for $300.
trainman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 02:52 PM   #3431
Larry Ferguson
Adventurer

Oddometer: 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by 'Flagger View Post
Capacity?
Originally Posted by trainman
"Wow, the new IMS tank is $275.00 plus freight that would put it at about $300.00 delivered, I think I will stick with the one gallon Rotopax for $50.00 and be happy, plus I can move it to my other bikes if needed."

One gallon?

'01 Connie
'83 XT 550
'78 XL 350
'73 XL 250
'72 XL 250 (Needs "assembly")
Larry Ferguson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 03:42 PM   #3432
siyeh
Lawn Nazi

Oddometer: 1,466
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Ferguson View Post
"Wow, the new IMS tank is $275.00 plus freight that would put it at about $300.00 delivered, I think I will stick with the one gallon Rotopax for $50.00 and be happy, plus I can move it to my other bikes if needed."

One gallon?
A one gallon Rotopax on a Manracks:

me likey it cheaper than a new tank
siyeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 04:07 PM   #3433
'Flagger
..this space for rent..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Ferguson View Post

One gallon?
Suck it, Trebek.

Trainman knew what I was asking.

Looking at IMS' website, $275 seems to about par for all of their tanks of similar capacity. The big capacity tank (4.7g) for the WR-R is ~$400.

'Flagger screwed with this post 02-25-2013 at 04:18 PM
Old 02-25-2013, 04:21 PM   #3434
Lost Rider
Roadie

Oddometer: 3,094
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsmithy View Post

3.1 gallon capacity.

$274.95 MSRP.

That's great news!

Natural color for me please ASAP.

Is it for certain that it will be replacing the OEM tank, only giving a 1 gallon increase or is it 3.1 in addition to the OEM tank? That's what I need, 5 gallon capacity....

Since the fuel pump and other bits are in the tank I would think this is an add on tank.

$275 is a bargain, IMO. I won't even mention how much other extra fuel tanks have cost me on other bikes...
Plus when you factor in the tank will serve as a great Radiator protector, plus protect the other bits on the right side, it's a good price... anything to get heavy fuel off the worst spot possible for handling - on the tail rack, where lightweight camping gear needs to go.

Got the new clutch in hand and putting it back together now.

LostRider.com
Lost Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 04:23 PM   #3435
'Flagger
..this space for rent..

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsmithy View Post

3.1 gallon capacity.

$274.95 MSRP.
Hmmm.... so this is the post I missed .... I blame Tapatalk.