User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-07-2013, 06:16 AM   #3631
SAPB
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,345
Tool kit

So since our "tool kit" is such a joke, I have been exploring on the TK thread, lots of good stuff over there, like these:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...&postcount=756

http://www.endurostar.com/ts2_instr.htm

http://www.agrisupply.com/manual-can...70/&sid=&eid=/

The service manual doesn't list the nut/bolt sizes, so I'm probably going to carry 1/4" drive socket set, and open end 12mm for the chain adjuster (12 fits sloppy, but it's not 13), then you need 24/19 for the rear axle, and 17/12mm for the front axle/pinch bolts, with probably a sliding T-handle drive. Still going through the TK thread, heading up to Sears to jump start the economy, since I don't want to hack up my regular tool kit. There's a bunch of "rolls" available. Nice tricks, also, like putting extra hose clamps right on the hose, so it doesn't take up space someplace. Focusing on light weigh as much as possible. Probably make a thing like the Endurostar cheap, a piece of broom handle will work, but again, heavy, maybe conduit.

CRF250L Service Manual http://www.hondampe.com.au/docs/owni...F250L13_OM.pdf

SAPB screwed with this post 03-07-2013 at 06:29 AM
SAPB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 07:27 AM   #3632
Lost Rider
Roadie

Oddometer: 3,109
To save on space and weight I have found these Motion Pro combo tire levers to be quite useful, along with the Motion Pro T-6 Combo Lever Adapters instead of carrying a dedicated socket wrench set.

Makes fitting everything I need for trailside repairs in a tool tube easier.

LostRider.com
Lost Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 08:01 AM   #3633
SAPB
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost Rider View Post
To save on space and weight I have found these Motion Pro combo tire levers to be quite useful, along with the Motion Pro T-6 Combo Lever Adapters instead of carrying a dedicated socket wrench set.

Makes fitting everything I need for trailside repairs in a tool tube easier.

I did see those on the TK thread, and the lever drive adapter. Got an old set of Hozan dropped forged tire irons, I've had for years, but they aren't light. Funny how you can start to think, Well, since I'm gonna have the rear wheel off anyway to do the Tubliss conversion, I might as well do the 13/42, and slap a D606 on while I'm at it. My original plan was to wear out the rear first, but with the kind of weather we've been having, that can't happen real soon.

Old 03-07-2013, 08:55 AM   #3634
Lost Rider
Roadie

Oddometer: 3,109
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAPB View Post
Funny how you can start to think, Well, since I'm gonna have the rear wheel off anyway to do the Tubliss conversion, I might as well do the 13/42, and slap a D606 on while I'm at it. My original plan was to wear out the rear first, but with the kind of weather we've been having, that can't happen real soon.

You just need to add chains and heated gear to the growing list to have fun in the snow on the LRP.

LostRider.com
Lost Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 09:15 AM   #3635
SAPB
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost Rider View Post
You just need to add chains and heated gear to the growing list to have fun in the snow on the LRP.

Or, get serious about ice: http://www.fasterandfaster.net/2013/...ice-racer.html

Old 03-07-2013, 11:20 AM   #3636
kiwi5
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 322
CRF250L Stalling Issue is Back!

I ride two CRF's; my own (Recon 1) and the one we use at work (Recon 2). Recon 2 has the annoying habit of stalling when I downshift to a complete stop; not all the time- but enough to piss me off. It never happens when blipping the throttle while stopping or when riding at low speed. The stalling never happened to Recon 1 until this morning when I came to the first stop sign; downshifted as I usually do into first gear, brakes on, clutch in...STALL. With over 750km on the clock this is the first time it stalled...I made sure to keep blipping the throttle at the next couple of stop signs and sure enough- no stall. I'm picking that this is due to the lean factory jetting and it will go away once I get the EJK tuner. That is my excuse to buy one......
kiwi5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 11:28 AM   #3637
SAPB
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwi5 View Post
I ride two CRF's; my own (Recon 1) and the one we use at work (Recon 2). Recon 2 has the annoying habit of stalling when I downshift to a complete stop; not all the time- but enough to piss me off. It never happens when blipping the throttle while stopping or when riding at low speed. The stalling never happened to Recon 1 until this morning when I came to the first stop sign; downshifted as I usually do into first gear, brakes on, clutch in...STALL. With over 750km on the clock this is the first time it stalled...I made sure to keep blipping the throttle at the next couple of stop signs and sure enough- no stall. I'm picking that this is due to the lean factory jetting and it will go away once I get the EJK tuner. That is my excuse to buy one......
Did it backfire, and stall, or just stall? Mine did it just about every ride, yet last ride, not a single incident. Bike is going in for 1st service if it ever stops snowing here, I'll mention it to the service guy. Was thinking of trying different brands of gas, not sure that would help, most all of it has 10% ethanol around here. You are right though, not so much fun going around a corner with a cage on your tail, and it does that.

Old 03-07-2013, 11:36 AM   #3638
trainman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 388
Lub the fuel injector, run 2 cycle oil through a tank of gas on the bike. Mix the oil in the gas by the ratio on the bottle, that is if it's a 50-1 mix, mix it that way. This will in no way cause your bike to smoke, run badly, damage the cylinder, etc., you are lubing the fuel injector because it is sticking inside probably from today's crappy gasoline. BMW 650's have had the same problem over the years, that's there fix, it works. Yes I , but I wasn't when I wrote this.

John
trainman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 11:48 AM   #3639
strongbad
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 475
Is ethanol mandated for New Zealand gasoline? If so, how much?
strongbad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 12:20 PM   #3640
Ed@Ford
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,427
Quote:
Originally Posted by trainman View Post
Lub the fuel injector, run 2 cycle oil through a tank of gas on the bike. Mix the oil in the gas by the ratio on the bottle, that is if it's a 50-1 mix, mix it that way. This will in no way cause your bike to smoke, run badly, damage the cylinder, etc., you are lubing the fuel injector because it is sticking inside probably from today's crappy gasoline. BMW 650's have had the same problem over the years, that's there fix, it works. Yes I , but I wasn't when I wrote this.

John
My '03 Dakar NEVER stalled, so I never had to resort to this
.....but I doubt if the catalyst on the CRF appreciates the oil though
Ed@Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 12:24 PM   #3641
kiwi5
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAPB View Post
Did it backfire, and stall, or just stall? Mine did it just about every ride, yet last ride, not a single incident. Bike is going in for 1st service if it ever stops snowing here, I'll mention it to the service guy. Was thinking of trying different brands of gas, not sure that would help, most all of it has 10% ethanol around here. You are right though, not so much fun going around a corner with a cage on your tail, and it does that.
No- no backfire just stalled as I applied the brakes while rapidly downshifting to first. Engine stalls just as I came to a stop (the same as it does for Recon 2 (the work CRF). Talking about it with the mechanics they agree with me that a EJK fuel tuner will sort it out. I don't think its dangerous 'cause it only happens when I am stopped anyway, has never happened when I doing slow 1st and 2nd gear off road riding. Thank god for that because the areas I was riding yesterday were very steep and with no power......
Old 03-07-2013, 12:26 PM   #3642
kiwi5
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by strongbad View Post
Is ethanol mandated for New Zealand gasoline? If so, how much?
I have no idea! Mind you, I have no idea what ethanol is so I will do some "google" and get back to you....why do you ask?
Old 03-07-2013, 12:32 PM   #3643
Dago52
Adventurer

Oddometer: 58
Well i just ordered my CRF250L. It will be here next Wednesday and I will be traveling on business until then. I looked for a good deal on a used bike but not much luck because of the price of the CRF250L. I did find a 2009 KTM450 but i really don't have much time for maintenance. I am excited and will start to mod it as soon as i pick it up I'm sure. I got it for $5,040.00 out the door.
Dago52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 12:41 PM   #3644
SAPB
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwi5 View Post
No- no backfire just stalled as I applied the brakes while rapidly downshifting to first. Engine stalls just as I came to a stop (the same as it does for Recon 2 (the work CRF). Talking about it with the mechanics they agree with me that a EJK fuel tuner will sort it out. I don't think its dangerous 'cause it only happens when I am stopped anyway, has never happened when I doing slow 1st and 2nd gear off road riding. Thank god for that because the areas I was riding yesterday were very steep and with no power......
This isn't a Yugo, why should we have to purchase/add some other aftermarket gizmo to fix what should be correct from the factory? My instinct was to bump start it, in (not sure) 2nd, or 3rd gear, which worked, but with the tire slipping a bit during this (on pavement). After 2 (street) FI bikes, this was just not on my radar.

Old 03-07-2013, 12:53 PM   #3645
kiwi5
Gnarly Adventurer

You are correct- it should not be happening. It has only happened once on Recon 1 (my personal CRF) over 750kms so I will be watching closely to see if it happens again. If it does I will be talking to the dealer and demanding some answers...I am about 3 weeks away from the EJK tuner coming (I was going to get it anyway) and will be very pissed off if it still stalls after I hook up the EJK!!!! Do I still love the CRF250L?? Absolutely. Kind of reminds me of an ol' girlfriend who used to have an annoying habit of farting during "intimate" moments. I just dealt with it......