Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-08-2013, 11:12 AM   #3661
'Flagger
..this space for rent..

Oddometer: 2,314
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAPB View Post
Thanks Ed. Looks like a start up money maker for someone with machine shop tools/experience. Need to take into account orientation before dis-assembly, so the fittings were easy access. Like Bill Blue, use a core charge, I'll send you the drilled out swing arm/lever, you send yours back, and get the refund. Not in the position to do that myself, any takers? What would someone be willing to pay for this service. Anyone know how much time required, so could put a fair price on this service? IMO, only someone who's got the bike would be in a position to get it right. Craig Vetter did well making fairings for Goldwings, before Honda finally smartened up and then they came that way. This bike, I think, is going to sell very well.
This seems like a bunch of trouble when it ain't that hard to remove the swingarm and lube everything up every so often.

Proud to be an inmate of AdvRider.
'Flagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 11:38 AM   #3662
SAPB
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,388
Quote:
Originally Posted by 'Flagger View Post
This seems like a bunch of trouble when it ain't that hard to remove the swingarm and lube everything up every so often.
Good point. Just looking at maintenance interval, probably falls under suspension, Inspect (clean, adjust, lubricate, or replace if necessary), at 8, 16, and 24K. What do you figure, 45 minutes to get it off?

CRF250L Service Manual http://www.hondampe.com.au/docs/owni...F250L13_OM.pdf
SAPB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 11:40 AM   #3663
Ed@Ford
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,441
Quote:
Originally Posted by 'Flagger View Post
FLAGGER: You might be right....also depends on the bike's usage...if you like cavorting in swamps and muck, having zerks is worth it....or if you have an XR400R that has a segment of the swing arm bolt that can NEVER be properly greased, annual disassembly is the only solution. If you have a KLR that gets high mileage and a huge variety of road conditions...zerks are high value.

If you do plan to grease with the EXPENSIVE high content moly grease specified, start hunting for it...it's hard to find and 3 or 4 times the $ of conventional grease. It's WAAAAY different formulation from the popular boat trailer hub grease most guys use.
Ed@Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 11:46 AM   #3664
'Flagger
..this space for rent..

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAPB View Post
Good point. Just looking at maintenance interval, probably falls under suspension, Inspect (clean, adjust, lubricate, or replace if necessary), at 8, 16, and 24K. What do you figure, 45 minutes to get it off?
Just to remove it? Less than that. The following is from memory... be gentle.

1) remove wheel
2) unscrew brake clips
3) hang caliper or let rest on floor
4) remove lower portion of chain guide or pop master on chain if you've installed one.. i hate messing with this so go after the guide
5) remove link bolts
6) remove pivot bolt

I've already binned my chainguard so add that if you need/want to remove it each time.

Old 03-08-2013, 11:51 AM   #3665
'Flagger
..this space for rent..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed@Ford View Post
FLAGGER: You might be right....also depends on the bike's usage...if you like cavorting in swamps and muck, having zerks is worth it....or if you have an XR400R that has a segment of the swing arm bolt that can NEVER be properly greased, annual disassembly is the only solution. If you have a KLR that gets high mileage and a huge variety of road conditions...zerks are high value.

If you do plan to grease with the EXPENSIVE high content moly grease specified, start hunting for it...it's hard to find and 3 or 4 times the $ of conventional grease. It's WAAAAY different formulation from the popular boat trailer hub grease most guys use.
Not dismissing zerks completely... had them on a XR650L. Useful... but not a panacea... still should to remove swingarm every so often for inspection.

Old 03-08-2013, 12:44 PM   #3666
Spud Rider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,631
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwi5 View Post
Thanks for the torque specs, that was my next query! Now, anychance of a brief step-by-step?
I've got to grease the lower shock linkage on my recently acquired, CRF250X. Here are two good videos which illustrate the process, which is very similar on most dirt bikes. The first video demonstrates greasing the suspension on the Honda CRF250R.

The second video also presents some good tips, and demonstrates greasing the suspension on a Suzuki dirt bike.

Spud
2005 XR650L: Shorai Battery Relocation, Spud Oil Cooler, XR650R C/S Sprocket, Reinforced Subframe, Chain Slipper Roller, Performance Design Lowering Link, Baja Designs Headlight, FMF Hi-Flo Header, ManRacks SD Rack, ManRacks Front Fender Farkle, CST Surge I Front Tire, D952 Rear Tire, Tusk D-Flex Handguards, Uni Air Filter, No-Toil Evolution air filter oil
Spud Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 12:58 PM   #3667
callison
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 118
Read the comments for that second video, pretty funny...

Old 03-08-2013, 01:05 PM   #3668
SAPB
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spud Rider View Post
I've got to grease the lower shock linkage on my recently acquired, CRF250X. Here are two good videos which illustrate the process, which is very similar on most dirt bikes. The first video demonstrates greasing the suspension on the Honda CRF250R.

The second video also presents some good tips, and demonstrates greasing the suspension on a Suzuki dirt bike.

Spud
Did you notice after inhaling the contact cleaner, is when he went into slow motion? Sorry couldn't resist. Thanks Spud, always great info coming from you!

Old 03-08-2013, 09:51 PM   #3669
kiwi5
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 322
Excellent info, I am still not sure what the disassembly sequence is ( due to watching the video on my iPhone ) but I will try to figure it out by watching on the home PC later...
kiwi5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 09:57 PM   #3670
Irish769
Wanna-be

Oddometer: 37
EJK Installation

I'm ready to install my Dobeck EJK. I think it's possible to do without lifting the tank. My question is, can anybody tell me how the existing connectors come apart? I looked at Rick Ramsey's photos but can't tell how the top (gray) connection separates from the bottom (blue) half. Do you squeeze a particular area of the top connector? There's not much room to work and I may need my wife's small hands so any tips would be appreciated. If she breaks a nail ......
Lord help me!
2013 CRF 250L
Irish769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 04:16 AM   #3671
Thumper26
Adventurer

Oddometer: 15
I'm in...
Thumper26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 05:32 AM   #3672
SAPB
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish769 View Post
I'm ready to install my Dobeck EJK. I think it's possible to do without lifting the tank. My question is, can anybody tell me how the existing connectors come apart? I looked at Rick Ramsey's photos but can't tell how the top (gray) connection separates from the bottom (blue) half. Do you squeeze a particular area of the top connector? There's not much room to work and I may need my wife's small hands so any tips would be appreciated. If she breaks a nail ......
Lord help me!
You can see how the gray one comes undone in Rick's 3rd pic, pinch the back part down to raise the front of it up over the part that sticks up on the blue part, and pull. Bet you'll have to take the tank off.

Old 03-09-2013, 05:49 AM   #3673
Kommando
Grumpy Young Man

Oddometer: 6,773
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish769 View Post
Lord help me!
Get your wife some Lee Press-Ons for her tiny fingers. Trim her stock nails down as close as comfortable, and put her on a protein-rich diet. Have her first practice on some similar connectors that are easier to access, until she can do it in the dark, blindfolded.

'Bet she has no problems getting that sucker apart! Remember to apply the Press-Ons for her after she cleans up. Some women really like having long nails, and feel somewhat incomplete without them.

Kommando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 06:50 AM   #3674
streaks77
Adventurer

Oddometer: 26
I'm almost embarrassed to admit this now, but I was able to connect the EJK without removing the tank I did however remove a bit of skin doing so! Wasn't too bad, but tank off would sure have been a lot easier.
streaks77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 08:56 AM   #3675
Rocket123
Adventurer

Oddometer: 21
Just did my valve clearance today at 790 miles

Neither inlet or exhaust were out of spec.

Thanks for Lost's post for some guidance. In fact I didn't need to remove the tank, simply unbolt and rest sideways on the frame.

The rocker cover bolts were virtually hand tight only. As I don't have the manual yet, does anyone have the torque setting for these?

Thanks

Rocket
Rocket123 is offline   Reply With Quote