Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-17-2013, 06:36 PM   #3871
Boismj03
Adventurer

Oddometer: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish769 View Post
Hey Lost,
Another great video. It brought back some awesome memories. I spent several years on a USFS Hot Shot crew based in Colorado. We spent most of our time in So Cal. I can almost smell the smoke and feel the blisters from humping hundreds of miles in country just like that. Coulda used a LRP back then to tote that big Stihl and can of gas etc. ! Suddenly I feel old.........
Nice,
What crew? when....
Old 03-17-2013, 07:30 PM   #3872
trainman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 392
Streaks77, which DRC Tail Lamp kit did you use (#) and did you use the DRC turn signal brackets that come with the kit. I have used the DRC kit for my DRZ400 (metal), but after reading your post it looks like you used the plastic kit, let us know which one, thanks.

John
trainman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 07:38 PM   #3873
streaks77
Adventurer

Oddometer: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by trainman View Post
Streaks77, which DRC Tail Lamp kit did you use (#) and did you use the DRC turn signal brackets that come with the kit. I have used the DRC kit for my DRZ400 (metal), but after reading your post it looks like you used the plastic kit, let us know which one, thanks.

John
I used the plastic kit and didn't use brackets, just drilled one hole on each side of the plastic aft of the light and used it as a mounting point. Time will tell how it stands up, I didn't pay much so if I run into any issues, not a big deal. This was the number listed on the order form: 010983_34056-00. Cheers!
streaks77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 07:42 PM   #3874
trainman
Gnarly Adventurer

Thanks for the reply, John
Old 03-17-2013, 08:00 PM   #3875
Lapchik
Tinkeritis posterboy

Oddometer: 257
Some videos of my CRF250L. Make sure to subscribe as more videos are on the way, and my first MC club event with this bike is in April.

Skid plate
Barkbusters and Doubletake mirror
Luggage Rack
Rotopax
Tie Downs
Big Gun exhaust and custom modifications to it
Riding around/falling down in the snow
Lapchik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 05:25 AM   #3876
callison
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 118
Swing Arm Service

I was able to make time to do the swing arm service this past weekend. As with the shock linkage, the swing arm was lacking in the grease department from the factory.

I took pics during the process, once I get a minute I'll pull together a post covering the steps involved.
Old 03-18-2013, 10:24 AM   #3877
BlueLghtning
Riding is my passion

Oddometer: 4,933
My wife installed the "Low" Seat Concepts seat for the CRF250L this weekend. She decided to order it with the "soft" foam as she only weighs in at about 115lbs and also chose the black top with gripper material and red sides. I think she was hoping it would have lowered her a bit more, but in the end it was maybe a 1/4" at the most. However, it should give her a much more comfortable seating area when she slides back for the long hauls. Granted these pics are just with sneakers and jeans on, but she wanted to show a good comparison.

Oh yeah, don't mind the fact the entire front end of the bike is off. We are fixing a few things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsyAngel View Post
YAY! So Maxwell got his new Seat Concepts Low seat installed today!!

And....well...it looks better than stock, but didn't really lower me that much.

First,for those who don't know, you can buy the Seat Concepts seats here:
http://seatconcepts.com/

They ship you the foam and cover and you install it on your existing seat pad. You can pay them to install it,but you also have to pay shipping costs. Which can be pricey for something as large as a motorcycle seat.

I ordered the red/black version of the LOW seat with the gripper top and the soft foam available at no extra charge. I'd always recommend going with the gripper vs the all carbon version. The all carbon tends to feel like you're riding on an armor-alled seat. Super slippy.

http://seatconcepts.com/products#!/~...56&id=18216003

I also watched both of these installation vids. I watched both because they offer a few different helpful tips in each one

A few tips:
Let your new seat cover warm up in the sun for a good while before starting. The warmer it is, the easier it'll stretch.

I borrowed a friends pneumatic stapler for the install, so it wasn't too difficult, just time consuming.

I used a flat head screw driver and a pair of needle nose pliers to remove the old staples. Just stick the screwdriver under the staple and twist. Once one side pops up, you can remove it with the pliers.

Take your time getting your old seat foam off,if one spot doesn't want to come off clean,move to a different area and work back.

Make sure the adhesive you use is safe for foam. I used Locktite heavy duty spray adhesive and 3M 77 on the seat pan. (both with varying results..the Locktite worked on the rear but wouldn't stick the front...weird. Likely user error induced failure. ). Also use the silicone between the foam and the cover. WD-40 now makes a silicone spray. It really helps when positioning the cover.

Follow the directions in the vids, starting at the nose and working your way around evenly on both sides so one side doesn't get more stretched than the other.

Keep flipping it over to check positioning and watch for wrinkles.

Push the stapler firmly into the plastic when you fire them to seat the staples down snug. Don't be afraid to pop out any unruly or misplaced staples. Also don't be afraid to remove several staples to re-snug an area you're not happy with.

All in all this project took me a good hour and I would rate difficulty level at a 3 on a scale of 1-5. 1 being so easy a caveman could do it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsyAngel View Post
And the results

Before:

After:

Before:

After:

Before

After

The two foams side by side. Stock foam is the darker one:

*Insert 'waaaa-waaaa-waaaaaaaaaa' let down music here*

So, if you're looking to gain an inch, this isn't the way. I maybe gained a quarter to half an inch. Obviously I don't ride in sneakers and jeans, but wanted to give my normal leg length. I won't be gaining that much extra with my dirt boots unfortunately.

Ah well,in the end, Maxwell got a pretty new seat and the wider seating area should be more comfortable as well. The front was supposed to be narrower to aid in the 'lower' effect, but the Honda already had a pretty narrow seat to begin with.

May look at a lowering link in the future. Kouba makes one for the CRF:
http://www.koubalink.com/CRF250L%20Dual%20Sport.html
Smugmug Pics - Save $5 <-- Click Here
BlueLghtning is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 11:48 AM   #3878
trainman
Gnarly Adventurer

I'm 6'1" and have a 31" inseam and if I have a bike that my feet touch the ground like hers do, I'm going to fall every once in a wile riding off road. I've been riding 45 years and uneven surfaces for some reason just happen to be where you don't want them, I would lower the fork tubes and put on some lowering links, she could use and 1" or 2" lower bike for now. Just don't want to see her get hurt.

John
Old 03-18-2013, 12:29 PM   #3879
Ed@Ford
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,467
Since she's only 115 #, you can unwind the preload on the spring a bunch...you'll get way more than 1/4"....and make the ride comfy as well
Ed@Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 12:30 PM   #3880
Bob80
Adventurer

Oddometer: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueLghtning View Post
My wife installed the "Low" Seat Concepts seat for the CRF250L this weekend. She decided to order it with the "soft" foam as she only weighs in at about 115lbs and also chose the black top with gripper material and red sides. I think she was hoping it would have lowered her a bit more, but in the end it was maybe a 1/4" at the most. However, it should give her a much more comfortable seating area when she slides back for the long hauls. Granted these pics are just with sneakers and jeans on, but she wanted to show a good comparison.

Oh yeah, don't mind the fact the entire front end of the bike is off. We are fixing a few things.
Check this out:

http://www.thumpertalk.com/topic/100...ions-and-tips/

I've already been down this road, check out post #39 for some measurements. Stock, lowering link, seat concepts low

Bob80 screwed with this post 03-18-2013 at 12:47 PM
Bob80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 12:39 PM   #3881
kiwi5
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 334
Quote:
Originally Posted by callison View Post
I was able to make time to do the swing arm service this past weekend. As with the shock linkage, the swing arm was lacking in the grease department from the factory.

I took pics during the process, once I get a minute I'll pull together a post covering the steps involved.
Very interested in how this is done! Can't wait to see the process....
kiwi5 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 01:24 PM   #3882
Irish769
Wanna-be

Oddometer: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boismj03 View Post
Nice,
What crew? when....
Pike IRFC based in Monument, CO. 1982-1987 ( Yea.....a million years ago!)
2013 CRF 250L
2014 BMW GSW
Irish769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 02:19 PM   #3883
SAPB
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,435
Mirror replacement

I did get these mirrors, and they have a kind of clicking, get into position thingy on there, adjustable for tension. They can be folded inward, to be out of the way for off road. Weather not ideal here right now for testing for vibration, being able to actually see what's behind you. The OEM ones seemed a bit quirky to get the adjustment right. $42 each, and shipped fast from the west coast to east coast in 2 days. http://www.moto-science.com/product/...ti-mount-0097u

CRF250L Service Manual http://www.hondampe.com.au/docs/owni...F250L13_OM.pdf
SAPB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 02:41 PM   #3884
G19Tony
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 405
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAPB View Post
I did get these mirrors, and they have a kind of clicking, get into position thingy on there, adjustable for tension. They can be folded inward, to be out of the way for off road. Weather not ideal here right now for testing for vibration, being able to actually see what's behind you. The OEM ones seemed a bit quirky to get the adjustment right. $42 each, and shipped fast from the west coast to east coast in 2 days. http://www.moto-science.com/product/...ti-mount-0097u
I have those mirrors on all my off road bikes. It's the first farkle I get.

Nothing's too cruel if it's funny enough.
G19Tony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 02:47 PM   #3885
SAPB
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,435
Quote:
Originally Posted by G19Tony View Post
I have those mirrors on all my off road bikes. It's the first farkle I get.
Yes, thanks Tony, you were the one who I asked after you posted pics, back before I actually had a bike to bolt them to. More f'n snow on the way here, WTF.

CRF250L Service Manual http://www.hondampe.com.au/docs/owni...F250L13_OM.pdf
SAPB is offline   Reply With Quote