Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-18-2013, 02:03 PM   #3886
BlueLghtning
Riding is my passion

Oddometer: 4,842
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed@Ford View Post
Since she's only 115 #, you can unwind the preload on the spring a bunch...you'll get way more than 1/4"....and make the ride comfy as well
That was our next idea. I worked on my car all day yesterday and didn't feel like screwing with the bike after she finished the seat.

It isn't squatting very much when she sits on it. She sat on one at a show that the preload must have been way out on because she could almost flat foot it.
Smugmug Pics - Save $5 <-- Click Here
BlueLghtning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 02:07 PM   #3887
BlueLghtning
Riding is my passion

Quote:
Originally Posted by trainman View Post
I'm 6'1" and have a 31" inseam and if I have a bike that my feet touch the ground like hers do, I'm going to fall every once in a wile riding off road. I've been riding 45 years and uneven surfaces for some reason just happen to be where you don't want them, I would lower the fork tubes and put on some lowering links, she could use and 1" or 2" lower bike for now. Just don't want to see her get hurt.

John
Yeah, she's coming from an XT225 she can flat foot with ease and quite a bit lighter than the CRF250L so we are definitely taking that into mind

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed@Ford View Post
Since she's only 115 #, you can unwind the preload on the spring a bunch...you'll get way more than 1/4"....and make the ride comfy as well
That was our next idea. I worked on my car all day yesterday and didn't feel like screwing with the bike after she finished the seat. :lol:

It definitely isn't squatting very much when she sits on it, although I haven't actually measured it yet. She sat on one at a show that the preload must have been way out on because she could almost flat foot it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob80 View Post
Check this out:

http://www.thumpertalk.com/topic/100...ions-and-tips/

I've already been down this road, check out post #39 for some measurements. Stock, lowering link, seat concepts low

Thanks, lots of good info. I think we are going to try setting the sag right first to see how that works for her. As I mentioned above, she's sat on one at a show and it must have had the preload pretty far out because she was pretty sure footed on it.

She also has her sneakers on in this pic which she doesn't ride in. For street boots, she has a pair of the Daytona Ladystars which give her like 2" and her dirt bike boots probably don't do as much, but I'm sure they'll help too.
Old 03-18-2013, 02:26 PM   #3888
Infidel707
Adventurer

Oddometer: 20
Anybody try to install moose racing contour mount handguards on the stock bars? Where inner mount needs to go seems to be right where the crossbar is on the stock bars. Tempted to file it down, looks to be an 1/8" off, but they are hollow Im guessing, which would lead to shearing later on and who knows what else. Any lists of what hand guards work with the stock bars? Or I could just get new bars considering I'm 6'4...
Infidel707 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 02:49 PM   #3889
Irish769
Wanna-be

Oddometer: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infidel707 View Post
Anybody try to install moose racing contour mount handguards on the stock bars? Where inner mount needs to go seems to be right where the crossbar is on the stock bars. Tempted to file it down, looks to be an 1/8" off, but they are hollow Im guessing, which would lead to shearing later on and who knows what else. Any lists of what hand guards work with the stock bars? Or I could just get new bars considering I'm 6'4...
I think a popular option with stock bars are the Cycra Pro Bend- Bar Pack. They come with out bar clamps. You attach to the front of the fork clamps with the optional triple clamp front mounts. They are an additional $40 or so but they are solid and fit perfectly. No bending or grinding needed. I installed mine in about 20 minutes.
2013 CRF 250L
Irish769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 04:32 PM   #3890
Infidel707
Adventurer

Oddometer: 20
Found out I was installing it in the wrong order. Was trying to install the mounts to the bar to the guards instead of guard to mounts to bar. Got it on, though still ran into a slight problem: one of the screw holes was drilled wrong and the screw wont tighten all the way. It's snug and not moving now, may drill it out at a later point if need be. Off to the dunes again!
Infidel707 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 11:42 PM   #3891
carlclaflin
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 219
thinking about buying one

howdy people. i've been thinking about getting a new crf250l, everything i've read seems only one sided-and that's dirt. how do they handle on the road, hills, etc? currently i ride a yamaha xt225, on dirt, and flat roads she lots of fun. hills on the other hand, well i need to down shift and pegout the throttle to keep it as 50-60mph. i'm 5'7" 210lbs with 29" inseam.
so all you fans of the NEW CRF250L, talk to me. let me know how they do on the ROAD and the dirt.
carlclaflin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 12:12 AM   #3892
pandamanprod
Adventurer

Oddometer: 88
CRF250L Road

Well To answer your question. It kicks the roads ass more than the dirt. I have little to no stability issues on the highway at any speeds, and cornering this in the canyons is a breeze, all I need to do is lean my head in one direction or the other and the moto starts to lean (and you get low) It's got reasonable pull to accelerate hard between 35 and 55 mph (3rd and 4th gear) on flat, up or downhills. If you can carry speed well, you'll keep up with most bikes anyday. As soon as you get north of 60, and into the straights, you'll need more CC's but for me, and the twisties I like, I usually never get above that anyway. I would really recommend getting Best Dual Sport Bikes Stage 1 Kit. It really opens up the entire power band, pushes you past 65 on the freeway, and up hills, and gives you way more confidence offroad. Before the stage 1 kit, Things got a bit tedious, Highway hills destroyed me, and made things a bit scary, in certain instances even with just a slight grade, I would be juggling 5th and 6th gear to stay above 55 mph. Now with the performance parts, I can hit the same stretch at a constant 75 no sweat, and still have a little power left to escape if I need to. It's a no brainer, I could mention the offroad prowess of the CRFL, but you clearly have thousands of other posts to read up on that. Go buy one. I'm not sure why I financed mine, but I did and It's about 30 dollars less than my cell phone bill.

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlclaflin View Post
howdy people. i've been thinking about getting a new crf250l, everything i've read seems only one sided-and that's dirt. how do they handle on the road, hills, etc? currently i ride a yamaha xt225, on dirt, and flat roads she lots of fun. hills on the other hand, well i need to down shift and pegout the throttle to keep it as 50-60mph. i'm 5'7" 210lbs with 29" inseam.
so all you fans of the NEW CRF250L, talk to me. let me know how they do on the ROAD and the dirt.
pandamanprod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 06:17 AM   #3893
trainman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 389
So what you just said was, if your going to ride above 65mph then you need to spend another $800.00 to get the bike to get there and stay at that speed.

John
trainman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 08:02 AM   #3894
BlueLghtning
Riding is my passion

We have both an XT225 and the CRF250L in the garage, both of which are my wife's bike. She's been riding the XT for a while and really likes it, especially off road. She's a feather weight at 115lbs, so she's still unsure of the CRF if she'll be able to handle the extra weight and height compared to the XT, but so far she seems to like it. I definitely expect it to have much better road manners, something she also struggles with at times on the XT.

I've obviously ridden both and I'm 6'4" & 250lbs so I am no feather weight. The XT is really small for me and with my weight it struggles to maintain 55-60 on any kind of incline. Our CRF is stock right now and it definitely pulls a lot harder than the XT and road wise should be a whole lot better. I have a WR250R which is pretty much the strongest of the jap 250's. My WRR holds my big butt at 65-70 no problem and I expect the CRF to do the same with my wife on it. In fact, I'm thinking there will be times my wife will now be pulling me on the CRF while I'm on the WRR. When she's on the XT and I'm on the WRR, I have no problem staying with her, so the CRF is definitely more powerful.
Old 03-19-2013, 08:12 AM   #3895
Lost Rider
Roadie

Oddometer: 3,124
We haven't had any problem riding 65-70 mph average on highways for many miles in a day with just a 13t sprocket and doing the free airbox mod.

I agree with pandamanprod about how the LRP performs great in the canyons, it's a flickable and fun little bike, see my last video, and I'm sure the stage 1 kit can help, we just didn't find it necessary to spend the cash to do so.
The 13t by itself really made a big difference, along with putting enough miles on the bike to get the motor worn in. Out of the box it seemed lethargic compared to after a couple thousand miles, like most new bikes I've had.

LostRider.com
Lost Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 09:12 AM   #3896
callison
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 118
I would concur with LostRider.

Most of the miles I've put on my bike so far has been on road, larger hills I might have to down shift to 5th gear to keep momentum, other than that I can ride all day long north of 65 miles an hour in 6th gear. The only two mods I've done is the FMF slip-on, it came from the dealer with it, and I opened the air box up.

c
Old 03-19-2013, 10:06 AM   #3897
SAPB
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,382
Quote:
Originally Posted by carlclaflin View Post
Road isn't a problem with me, though I'm not fond of interstates, no matter what bike I'm on. I had it doing over 70 mph, briefly, and it wasn't falling off power yet. It stops pulling in all the gears before the rev limiter kicks in, so I've not "bounced it" yet in any gear. Too bad you can't arrange a test ride, but I bought mine without even being able to sit on one. Never having ridden the XT, I can't compare. Good luck!

CRF250L Service Manual http://www.hondampe.com.au/docs/owni...F250L13_OM.pdf
SAPB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 10:47 AM   #3898
Lost Rider
Roadie

Oddometer: 3,124
I have added some things I found when replacing the clutch and added the post to The CRF250L Adventure Thread, indexing it to make it easier to find in the future.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...7#post20984207

LostRider.com
Lost Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 12:29 PM   #3899
pandamanprod
Adventurer

Oddometer: 88
Road Revised

I'd want to revise and say that a stock LRP will do 70+ MPH, it's just not very comfortable. I have not ridden a sprocket and airbox mod only configuration, but have seen Lost Riders clips, and he can clearly rock single track DSing all day long, so clearly the bike can hang. For me, the exhaust and fuel programmer difference was night and day. The before and after reminded me of when I rode my DRZ400s and then rode my buddies drz400e. Just two completely different bikes. You also save a TON of weight up top, and since you can tap into power in such lower RPMs, you can really give yourself a buffer if you want to creep up tough inclines, or over obstacles. I felt that stock, you really needed to carry speed into the 4k + RPM range to get something out of the bike.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost Rider View Post
We haven't had any problem riding 65-70 mph average on highways for many miles in a day with just a 13t sprocket and doing the free airbox mod.

I agree with pandamanprod about how the LRP performs great in the canyons, it's a flickable and fun little bike, see my last video, and I'm sure the stage 1 kit can help, we just didn't find it necessary to spend the cash to do so.
The 13t by itself really made a big difference, along with putting enough miles on the bike to get the motor worn in. Out of the box it seemed lethargic compared to after a couple thousand miles, like most new bikes I've had.
pandamanprod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 01:37 PM   #3900
kiwi5
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 322
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost Rider View Post

Hey Team Lost, what is the "free airbox mod".....I like free stuff! I've already done the 13t front sprocket and cut back the snorkel within the airbox. Is that the airbox mod you are referring to? The EJK tuner should be shipping out of the US shortly.....
kiwi5 is offline   Reply With Quote