Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-19-2013, 01:44 PM   #3901
Lost Rider
Roadie

Oddometer: 3,088
See the holes in the side of the air box? That's the airbox mod I'm referring to, I've also drilled a few on the top of the box, but never touched the snorkel.

The intake is louder than the exhaust, better to suck than to blow.

Credit goes here for initial inspiration:

http://bestdualsportbikes.com/dual-s...-honda-crf250l

LostRider.com
Lost Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 03:00 PM   #3902
Chez13
n00b

Oddometer: 1
Pissed Hi from Northern Ireland

Loving this crf 250l chat, lots of really good info! Want to share a photo of my crf but how do I get it on here?
Chez13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 03:06 PM   #3903
kiwi5
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 321
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost Rider View Post
See the holes in the side of the air box? That's the airbox mod I'm referring to, I've also drilled a few on the top of the box, but never touched the snorkel.

The intake is louder than the exhaust, better to suck than to blow.

Credit goes here for initial inspiration:

That is really interesting; I thought that by modifying an airbox to that extent required a re-map as well? So you actually noticed an increase in power with this type of mod (without re-map)? I do a fair bit of water crossings so I would be hesitant to have holes that low on my airbox, but higher up and and top could be an option.
kiwi5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 03:12 PM   #3904
Lost Rider
Roadie

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwi5 View Post
That is really interesting; I thought that by modifying an airbox to that extent required a re-map as well? So you actually noticed an increase in power with this type of mod (without re-map)? I do a fair bit of water crossings so I would be hesitant to have holes that low on my airbox, but higher up and and top could be an option.

Dunno, I did it before we had the Bazzaz but did no actual testing. It felt good, especially at higher speeds, but that could be attributed to the 13t sprocket and accumulating miles on the bike to.
or combination of it all.

Bazzaz said it more than likely did help "open" up the motor, don't know if they meant in general or combined with more fuel. Probably a bit of both.

It was free, easy to replace if it didn't work well so I did it.

If we did any regular amount of water crossings I wouldn't have done the mod, when we travel more out of the dry area we live in, I'll probably tape it up.

LostRider.com
Old 03-19-2013, 03:42 PM   #3905
kiwi5
Gnarly Adventurer

Roger that, another Bazzaz question; have you disconnected the O2 probe now that you have a fuel tuner? I believe that this is recommended with the EJK that I have ordered.
Old 03-19-2013, 06:13 PM   #3906
kiwi5
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:

Just realized that you have your LRP in the house. And it's muddy. Wow...
Old 03-19-2013, 06:35 PM   #3907
Lost Rider
Roadie

Quote:
Roger that, another Bazzaz question; have you disconnected the O2 probe now that you have a fuel tuner? I believe that this is recommended with the EJK that I have ordered.

I didn't install it, but based on our other bikes I'd imagine that could be true, though I don't see anything obvious unplugged unlike on our BMW's with sensors on the headers unplugged. I just ride it and have been busy getting ready for the DV n00bs rally.

Where's the O2 probe, I'll check for you?

Quote:
Just realized that you have your LRP in the house. And it's muddy. Wow...

Our bikes to us our like our kids, they get a certain amount of leeway and are always welcome in the house, being part of the family being our tools to stay sane and Get Lost...

LostRider.com

Lost Rider screwed with this post 03-20-2013 at 12:14 AM
Old 03-19-2013, 06:54 PM   #3908
kiwi5
Gnarly Adventurer

Check out the best dual sport dirt bike site, they show where to disconnect the O2 probe. I'm going to test both my bike (stock exhaust, 13T, and internal snorkel cut back) and the work bike (FMF slip on, 13/45 gearing, internal snorkel cut back) to evaluate whether I can feel a difference with the probe connected/disconnected. I'll then re check after I install the EJK tuner on my bike. Apparently disconnecting the probe causes the fueling to become slightly richer. http://bestdualsportbikes.com/dual-s...-honda-crf250l
Old 03-19-2013, 09:16 PM   #3909
Lost Rider
Roadie

Copy that, will check.

LostRider.com
Old 03-19-2013, 09:31 PM   #3910
Jim331656
Adventurer

Oddometer: 17
Hi all.. Went to the local dealer to look at a WR250r and came home with a CRF250L. Couldn't justify the extra $$ for what I plan on doing with it and you just can't beat a Honda. I feel like I will get 5 grand worth of fun out of this little 250 pretty quick..... just gotta learn how to ride on two wheels in the dirt!
Jim331656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 10:09 PM   #3911
kiwi5
Gnarly Adventurer

O2 probe disconnect test

I tried a variety of with/ without tests ( top speed, 100m sprints, low speed figure eights) and came away with the conclusion that (on my bike with a 13t front sprocket and cut back internal snorkel) that I could not see any improvement in any areas. Initially I thought it " felt" snappier in the lower gears but the timed short distance speed tests did not show any actual improvement. I have read others posts who say they felt an improvement by disconnecting the 02 sensor, but my half assed, non dyno testing proved to me that I will keep the O2 probe connected.

kiwi5 screwed with this post 03-19-2013 at 11:27 PM
Old 03-20-2013, 04:06 AM   #3912
Schrauberklaus
***ifyer

Oddometer: 340
Hi

The black Sumo Model of the CRF is arrive at the Honda dealers in Thailand .
Just pass one 15 Min. ago .
Honda XR 280 R Sumo 04 , Honda XR 250 Baja 98
Yamaha Speed MX ( 2 Stroke ) 01 ,CRF250L 13
Schrauberklaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 04:29 AM   #3913
trainman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 388
Maybe we will get the Motard model here someday, I think they look really nice, but I'm not a Motard guy, so wouldn't buy one. Well I say that, I would buy the Yamaha WR250X model and put knobies all the way around and ride it as a third bike for the street and dirt, or what I would call a extra play bike. One thing that would happen for sure is the guys with the CRF250L's would be going to the dealer parts and ordering the different color plastic, etc. that the Motard has for their bikes.

John
trainman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 07:17 AM   #3914
callison
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 118
Update on BDSB.com

there's an update on the BDSB website regarding their Stage 2 kit.

Quote:

BREAKING NEWS. After looking at another way to add “best bang for the buck” for you Honda guys, I went back to work, looking to richen up the air/fuel mixture just enough to get the bike to run real nice with the pipe and sprocket. And it ended up working out real nice. Now it runs much better than stock, with better mileage than the stage 1 kits. It doesn’t have as strong as acceleration as the stage 1, but, honestly, it runs so much better than stock that for 85% of the people, it’s perfect. If most of your riding is on the road, this is the better way to go. If you fell you need more acceleration for offroad use, you can always add a fuel programmer.

The stage 2 kits contain the exhaust, 13 tooth sprocket and a free aluminum folding shift lever. The kit with the Q4 muffler is $625 and the one with the Power Core 4 is only $575. Just like with the stage 1 kits, the powercore 4 accelerates a little harder and the Q4 is a little quieter. For people who spend most of their time on the road, The Q4 is what you want. The secrets to richening the bike without the programmer come with the instructions in the kit.
So, the question is what's the secret to better performance with out the fuel programmer? I've already got the Q4, I don't want to mess with a 13t sprocket right now and I could give two shits about a free shift lever.
Old 03-20-2013, 09:14 AM   #3915
SAPB
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,281
Kickstand switch removal (new)

Ramz updated his side stand switch removal, because somebody on Thumpertalk came up with an easier solution: http://rickramsey.net/CRF250Lmods.htm#sidestandswitch

CRF250L Service Manual http://www.hondampe.com.au/docs/owni...F250L13_OM.pdf
SAPB is online now   Reply With Quote