User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-20-2013, 09:49 AM   #3916
Ed@Ford
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,418
RE: BDSB Update

Well, if the CRF was like the WR250R Yamaha, it would have the ability to modify the equivalent of the low speed fuel setting in the WRR computer via the speedometer. BUT....it looks like the CRF can't do this....unplugging the O2 sensor....well, theoretically it might do something, but it throws away altitude compensation.....so LET THE SUSPENSE begin! What Sherlock will uncover the BIG SECRET?
Ed@Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 09:54 AM   #3917
Ed@Ford
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAPB View Post
Ramz updated his side stand switch removal, because somebody on Thumpertalk came up with an easier solution: http://rickramsey.net/CRF250Lmods.htm#sidestandswitch
Whatever blows your hair back regarding the sidestand switch

...BUT BUT BUT...scroll down a tad and read RamZ's treatise on the CRF clutch...I haven't absorbed it all....but it, and Lost Rider's bit on a companion ADV CRF thread should be required reading for all CRF owners
Old 03-20-2013, 10:13 AM   #3918
Jim331656
Adventurer

Oddometer: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed@Ford View Post
RE: BDSB Update

Well, if the CRF was like the WR250R Yamaha, it would have the ability to modify the equivalent of the low speed fuel setting in the WRR computer via the speedometer. BUT....it looks like the CRF can't do this....unplugging the O2 sensor....well, theoretically it might do something, but it throws away altitude compensation.....so LET THE SUSPENSE begin! What Sherlock will uncover the BIG SECRET?
Probably just the old put a resistor in to trick the computer into thinking it is colder out or running lean. If I was looking for some power on the cheap, rather then a pipe and a resistor I'd do a programer and open the air box.... I think you can get more out of it that way.... of course I would love to see a dyno stock vs just a pipe vs just a programer.
Jim331656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 10:16 AM   #3919
Ed@Ford
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim331656 View Post
Probably just the old put a resistor in to trick the computer into thinking it is colder out or running lean. If I was looking for some power on the cheap, rather then a pipe and a resistor I'd do a programer and open the air box.... I think you can get more out of it that way.... of course I would love to see a dyno stock vs just a pipe vs just a programer.
DUH....you might be right...that's what folks are doing to the new 650 Husky with the BMW engine in it to richen it a tad.....gotta find where I saw a write up on it!
Old 03-20-2013, 10:26 AM   #3920
SAPB
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,301
Quote:
Whatever blows your hair back regarding the sidestand switch

...BUT BUT BUT...scroll down a tad and read RamZ's treatise on the CRF clutch...I haven't absorbed it all....but it, and Lost Rider's bit on a companion ADV CRF thread should be required reading for all CRF owners
I did go through that. Not really sure it really needs tweaking to the clutch. Lost said someone was learning how to ride Nancy's LRP in sand, and slipping the clutch in higher gears, not something I would be doing. Ramz feels the need to tweak because of the big bore kit, so I guess we'll never know if really needed it, since he's going to do the upgrade before failure, apparently. Most of us know that the clutch should either be in, or engaged, not slipped. I think the gearing is a little high for offroad, maybe do the 13/42, but then I need the speedo healer, and I kind of told myself I wouldn't be throwing a bucket of $ at this bike. Come to think of it, that plan hasn't been working so far............

CRF250L Service Manual http://www.hondampe.com.au/docs/owni...F250L13_OM.pdf
SAPB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 12:10 PM   #3921
SAPB
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
I did get these mirrors, and they have a kind of clicking, get into position thingy on there, adjustable for tension. They can be folded inward, to be out of the way for off road. Weather not ideal here right now for testing for vibration, being able to actually see what's behind you. The OEM ones seemed a bit quirky to get the adjustment right. $42 each, and shipped fast from the west coast to east coast in 2 days. http://www.moto-science.com/product/...ti-mount-0097u
Just took a short ride here, since it's only 40, but I like the KTM mirrors. I think they give you a better view than the oem ones, and they don't vibrate any more than the oem. I couldn't even lean the bike against a tree with the originals, the mirror would touch before the bar end did. The HDB hand guard/mirror is pretty slick, but I already had gone the Cycra route, with the original bars.

Old 03-20-2013, 12:14 PM   #3922
kiwi5
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 322
Speedo Healer

Quote:
I did go through that. Not really sure it really needs tweaking to the clutch. Lost said someone was learning how to ride Nancy's LRP in sand, and slipping the clutch in higher gears, not something I would be doing. Ramz feels the need to tweak because of the big bore kit, so I guess we'll never know if really needed it, since he's going to do the upgrade before failure, apparently. Most of us know that the clutch should either be in, or engaged, not slipped. I think the gearing is a little high for offroad, maybe do the 13/42, but then I need the speedo healer, and I kind of told myself I wouldn't be throwing a bucket of $ at this bike. Come to think of it, that plan hasn't been working so far............

I've put a 13t front sprocket on and with the aid of a Garmin 60CSx GPS I noticed that the speedo reads (now) 115kph when it is actually doing 100kph. Seeing as 100kph is the speed limit around here I just keep it around 115kph and I know I'm good to go. I can get the bike up to a maximum of 135kph (on the speedo) which is around 120kph actually. The odometer reads 8.4% more km's than actual as well. Remember that the speedo is off to start with! I'm not going to worry about a speedo healer either.
kiwi5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 12:46 PM   #3923
SAPB
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwi5 View Post
I've put a 13t front sprocket on and with the aid of a Garmin 60CSx GPS I noticed that the speedo reads (now) 115kph when it is actually doing 100kph. Seeing as 100kph is the speed limit around here I just keep it around 115kph and I know I'm good to go. I can get the bike up to a maximum of 135kph (on the speedo) which is around 120kph actually. The odometer reads 8.4% more km's than actual as well. Remember that the speedo is off to start with! I'm not going to worry about a speedo healer either.
Maybe try that first, it's only a $19 here from CRF's only, did that leave you at the end of chain adjustment?

Old 03-20-2013, 12:52 PM   #3924
kiwi5
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 322
Quote:
Maybe try that first, it's only a $19 here from CRF's only, did that leave you at the end of chain adjustment?
No, I've done just over 1100kms now and the chain appears to have stopped stretching but I still have enough room to tighten more if need be. The 13t sprocket really, really helped in the lower gears and hasn't hurt top end either.
kiwi5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 12:57 PM   #3925
Ed@Ford
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwi5 View Post
Yeah, that speedo healer is $$$ and not much value if you ride with your GPS all the time like I do
Old 03-20-2013, 01:02 PM   #3926
SAPB
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Yeah, that speedo healer is $$$ and not much value if you ride with your GPS all the time like I do
Only downside is if your bike ever comes up for resale, it appears to have more miles on it than actual. Best to keep it forever then........

Old 03-20-2013, 01:21 PM   #3927
ratthing
refrigerated cybercanine

Oddometer: 127
Mirrors

I am thinking about fabbing up some mirrors similar to the HDB style folders to work on my Acerbis guards. Thinking some Kydex and small mirrors might work. Fairly cheap experiment.

Also thinking thicker Kydex would be good for fabbing up a tool tube mount for the type of tube that Lost has.

=RT=
ratthing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 01:31 PM   #3928
SAPB
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Only downside is if your bike ever comes up for resale, it appears to have more miles on it than actual. Best to keep it forever then........
Just ordered the 13T from CRF's only. $18.95 + shipping $10.77, ouch. Why don't the just use USPS, less money, and faster...........

Old 03-20-2013, 01:48 PM   #3929
BlueLghtning
Riding is my passion

Oddometer: 4,728
Quote:
The thing is, the odometer is usually off less than the speedometer. Yes they are tied together, but I've found on a majority of bikes the error on the odometer side is way less than the error on the speedo side. Now if you change the gearing, they both change at a percentage, but the odometer is probably lower. It depends how much you change the gearing on how much it affects your overall miles, but let's say the odometer is off 5%. In 10k miles that's only 500 extra miles your bike shows. Even up to 8% is only 800 miles in 10k miles. Now if you start getting more than 10% off on the odometer, that can add up. It's an extra 1k miles for ever 10k you log.
Smugmug Pics - Save $5: Y2l43o9LVBERU
BlueLghtning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 02:34 PM   #3930
Ed@Ford
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Just ordered the 13T from CRF's only. $18.95 + shipping $10.77, ouch. Why don't the just use USPS, less money, and faster...........
Yes...they sure like to gouge on shipping