Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-25-2013, 03:49 PM   #4006
siyeh
Lawn Nazi

Oddometer: 1,400
Quote:
Originally Posted by NesquikNinja View Post
I thought that same thing at aroun 8-900, but at 1600 miles it looks the same as it did then. I ride almost exclusively pavement because of my commute, and its too cold for fun riding at the moment.
I sure hope I can get 1600 out of my rear but it's not looking good right now. I will have to put one on before my three week Colorado trip for sure. Not doing the mountains without fresh skins!
siyeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 04:30 PM   #4007
Mk5mike
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 223
I am at over 1600 miles and still looks like a good tire so far
Mk5mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 08:44 PM   #4008
gnath9
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 208
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwi5 View Post
Just had a crack at greasing up my linkage- found it pretty easy though I removed the dog legs first which differs slightly to what was mentioned in another post. Lucky I did this now as the upper dog leg bolt was corroded and the inner sleeve of this bolt had rust/corrosion as well. Another couple of wet winter months (we are in autumn now) and this bolt/sleeve would have been severely rusted. All other bolts were bone dry and probably one winter away from becoming rusty. No grease anywhere inside the needles, just a very light coating of weird light tan color non greasy crap. Wiped errything dry, polished off as much corrosion as I could and packed heaps of Mobil marine grade grease on all areas. I will get my dealership to replace the corroded bolt under warranty as I have done under 2000kms with only a couple of creek crossings. I will also get the dealership to grease the swingarm and steering bearings as warranty repair. Well at least I will try, if they refuse then they will lose out on all further sales which is not a small number.....moral of this story? Grease your linkages, swingarm and steering bearings NOW. Or sell the bike after a year.....!

I am having my bike completely gone thru as I read this is something all new bike owners should do regardless of make or model.

good post as this is little known knowledge ...
gnath9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 08:46 PM   #4009
gnath9
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 208
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevinsterner View Post
I need to replace my rear tire soon. I live in Arizona so most of my offroad travels are hard pack and rocky. (very rocky) I do ride it on the pavement (mostly to get to the dirt) The front looks to be in good shape. I also thought a little wider rear tire might be good also.. any suggestions will be appreciated. The ODO reads 2,011 miles

Thanks
I chose to go with IRC TR8 Battle Rallys
They are a lot like a D606 but a tad more aggressive. And cheaper too !!!
gnath9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 09:56 PM   #4010
opticalmace
Adventurer

Oddometer: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAPB View Post
Go to Ramz's site, and the last two pictures when you scroll all the way down show two lowering options: http://rickramsey.net/CRF250L.htm
Thank you.
opticalmace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 12:53 AM   #4011
kiwi5
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 236
Quote:
Originally Posted by gnath9 View Post
I am having my bike completely gone thru as I read this is something all new bike owners should do regardless of make or model.

good post as this is little known knowledge ...

Another interesting observation: the maintenance schedule for the suspension is at 12,000 kms! Having said that, after reading heaps of dirt bike websites it is standard practice for any dirtbike owner to immediately grease a new bikes linkage/swingarm/steering bearings as they always come under-greased from the factory. If you just commuted to work and did a very little dry gravel you might not notice the rust and stiffness till a year or so. By then the damage is done of course! I've spoken with the NZ Honda head office and the guy I spoke with said that the bikes should come with more grease & my bike was (hopefully) an exception. I will be checking our work bike (another crf250L) to see......I couldn't resist pulling out the swingarm bolt on my bike and was happy to see some sort of light oil on it (definately NOT grease) so I cleaned that off and greased it up. I still want my dealer to do the swingarm and steering bearings as a point of principle....or because I'm not that skilled yet!
kiwi5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 06:06 AM   #4012
SAPB
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,134
F sprocket

Kind of surprised to see the torque figure on the front sprocket is only 7 lbf/ft.

"I think I spent the dog food money, but he'll love me just the same. And if you really love me baby, you'll help me scrape the mucus off my brain". Ween
SAPB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 06:48 AM   #4013
Ed@Ford
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,313
Quote:
Kind of surprised to see the torque figure on the front sprocket is only 7 lbf/ft.
The sprocket retainer "clip" has 2 M6 bolts...they are soft and cheap non rated bolts...any more will twist them right off...and blue locktite is a good idea...I will probably replace them with 8.8 or 10.9 flange head bolts when my 13 tooth sprocket gets installed
Ed@Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 07:14 AM   #4014
SAPB
Beastly Adventurer

Ship costs

Just thought I'd throw this out there.

The 13t sprocket I got from CRF's only, was $18.95+Fedex (no other choice) $10.77.

The KTM mirrors I got from Moto-Science were $84 (for both)+$12.30 USPS.

Both items came from California, the mirrors ordered Friday, shipped Saturday, in hands Monday. The sproket was ordered on a Wednesday, and didn't come until today, the following Tuesday. Fedex site said it was coming Saturday, so I hung around all day waiting, and never showed. Many things I get on Amazon, mc related or not come USPS, always inexpensive, and fast.

"I think I spent the dog food money, but he'll love me just the same. And if you really love me baby, you'll help me scrape the mucus off my brain". Ween
Old 03-26-2013, 07:18 AM   #4015
Rob.G
Mostly Harmless

Oddometer: 1,957
Quote:

The 13t sprocket I got from CRF's only, was $18.95+Fedex (no other choice) $10.77.

Both items came from California, the mirrors ordered Friday, shipped Saturday, in hands Monday. The sproket was ordered on a Wednesday, and didn't come until today, the following Tuesday. Fedex site said it was coming Saturday, so I hung around all day waiting, and never showed. Many things I get on Amazon, mc related or not come USPS, always inexpensive, and fast.

An alternative to the KTM mirrors are the Double Take mirrors (http://www.doubletakemirror.com/)... I run these on my KLX and DR and LOVE them. Maybe not quite as "fancy" as the KTMs but enormously functional.

I wish the KLX had an easy to change front sprocket.. it uses a giant 27mm nut that's peened to stay put. My DR650 is like the CRF, though... three M6 bolts that are easy to deal with.

BTW, I saw a CRF this weekend at my Dirt Bike Instructor training class. We were teaching an actual class of real students, and a young guy showed up on a shiny new one. It was technically his mom's, but it sure is a pretty bike in person. With the stock exhaust, it was almost silent. Much quieter even than the KLX (we had a stock KLX there too).

Rob
'10 Kawasaki KLX351S #320
'01 Yamaha FZ1
Rob.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 07:27 AM   #4016
SAPB
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob.G View Post
An alternative to the KTM mirrors are the Double Take mirrors (http://www.doubletakemirror.com/)... I run these on my KLX and DR and LOVE them. Maybe not quite as "fancy" as the KTMs but enormously functional.

I wish the KLX had an easy to change front sprocket.. it uses a giant 27mm nut that's peened to stay put. My DR650 is like the CRF, though... three M6 bolts that are easy to deal with.

BTW, I saw a CRF this weekend at my Dirt Bike Instructor training class. We were teaching an actual class of real students, and a young guy showed up on a shiny new one. It was technically his mom's, but it sure is a pretty bike in person. With the stock exhaust, it was almost silent. Much quieter even than the KLX (we had a stock KLX there too).

Rob
I lurked on the KLX forum, and read the horror stories of the front sprocket. I'd like to hear a CRF ride by, only heard what it sounds like while riding. WTF, it's snowing again!

Old 03-26-2013, 07:31 AM   #4017
Rob.G
Mostly Harmless

Oddometer: 1,957
Quote:
I lurked on the KLX forum, and read the horror stories of the front sprocket. I'd like to hear a CRF ride by, only heard what it sounds like while riding. WTF, it's snowing again!
Oh it gets even better. The stock chain is so short (it's a 106) that you can't actually get the sprocket off without removing the rear wheel, or at least, unbolting the rear sprocket. When my chain wears out and I go up to a 45T rear sprocket (42 stock) I'm gonna see if a 110 will fit so I have a little more room to play with.

When you see one ride by, pay CLOSE attention. It's so quiet that any other ambient noise will block it out. It's really that quiet! :)

Rob
'10 Kawasaki KLX351S #320
'01 Yamaha FZ1
Rob.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 08:52 AM   #4018
Spud Rider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,585
Quote:
There is not a lot of lateral force exerted on the countershaft sprocket. Many C/S sprockets are retained with circlips and allowed some lateral movement on the countershaft. Seven foot-pounds of torque is just enough to snug the bolts so they wont vibrate loose.

Spud
2005 XR650L: Shorai Battery Relocation, Spud Oil Cooler, XR650R C/S Sprocket, Reinforced Subframe, Chain Slipper Roller, Performance Design Lowering Link, Baja Designs Headlight, FMF Hi-Flo Header, ManRacks SD Rack, ManRacks Front Fender Farkle, CST Surge I Front Tire, D952 Rear Tire, Tusk D-Flex Handguards, Uni Air Filter, No-Toil Evolution air filter oil
Spud Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 09:16 AM   #4019
Spud Rider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,585
Quote:

I hate to say it, but a shipping charge of $18.95 for a C/S sprocket is a rip off.

The Primary Drive C/S sprockets sold by Rocky Mountain ATV/MC are very good sprockets, and only cost $8.99.

http://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p/...Front-Sprocket

UPS shipping from Rocky Mountain ATV/MC costs only $7 for orders under $99, and is free for orders over $99. Customer service from RM ATV/MC is excellent; orders placed by 5 PM are shipped out the same day. Since I live in an adjacent state, any in-stock items I order from Monday through Thursday are received the very next afternoon.

If anyone is contemplating using either a 45T or 48T rear sprocket on his CRF250L, I highly recommend the Primary Drive rear sprockets for the XR650L, which cost $19.99.

http://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p/...Steel-Sprocket

I use these rear sprockets on my 2005 XR650L, and they are excellent. The torque from the 650cc engine is very hard on rear sprockets, especially since the XR650L lacks a cush drive on the rear wheel. My PD rear sprockets always last the life of the drive chain. These sprockets are an excellent value.

Spud
2005 XR650L: Shorai Battery Relocation, Spud Oil Cooler, XR650R C/S Sprocket, Reinforced Subframe, Chain Slipper Roller, Performance Design Lowering Link, Baja Designs Headlight, FMF Hi-Flo Header, ManRacks SD Rack, ManRacks Front Fender Farkle, CST Surge I Front Tire, D952 Rear Tire, Tusk D-Flex Handguards, Uni Air Filter, No-Toil Evolution air filter oil
Spud Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 10:19 AM   #4020
SAPB
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spud Rider View Post
I hate to say it, but a shipping charge of $18.95 for a C/S sprocket is a rip off.

The Primary Drive C/S sprockets sold by Rocky Mountain ATV/MC are very good sprockets, and only cost $8.99.

http://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p/...Front-Sprocket

UPS shipping from Rocky Mountain ATV/MC costs only $7 for orders under $99, and is free for orders over $99. Customer service from RM ATV/MC is excellent; orders placed by 5 PM are shipped out the same day. Since I live in an adjacent state, any in-stock items I order from Monday through Thursday are received the very next afternoon.

If anyone is contemplating using either a 45T or 48T rear sprocket on his CRF250L, I highly recommend the Primary Drive rear sprockets for the XR650L, which cost $19.99.

http://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p/...Steel-Sprocket

I use these rear sprockets on my 2005 XR650L, and they are excellent. The torque from the 650cc engine is very hard on rear sprockets, especially since the XR650L lacks a cush drive on the rear wheel. My PD rear sprockets always last the life of the drive chain. These sprockets are an excellent value.

Spud
No, shipping was $10.77, the sprocket was $18.95. If I do decide to go with a 42t rear, probably use Rocky Mountain.