Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-02-2013, 11:14 AM   #4141
trainman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 392
Nancy looks like a real trooper, you are lucky you have a wife that can ride that well and keep up with the group. Your pics always look great.

John
trainman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 11:33 AM   #4142
SAPB
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,435
Quote:
Originally Posted by trainman View Post
Nancy looks like a real trooper, you are lucky you have a wife that can ride that well and keep up with the group. Your pics always look great.

John
Yeah, nice pics Lost. Trying to figure out what weight the stock suspension was "gauged" at. Looks like Nancy is tiptoeing a bit, thinking she's maybe 5' 6"ish. We all ride differently, when I've been off road, it seems OK to me, though I'm not doing the kind of riding I was years ago. I'm 5' 9"/165, but some have posted weighing in at a bit more. Being a "world bike", wondering who the "average rider" is. Way to go reducing weight by taking the stickers off!

CRF250L Service Manual http://www.hondampe.com.au/docs/owni...F250L13_OM.pdf
SAPB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 11:58 AM   #4143
trainman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 392
Question, do any of you put a pad between the frame and the skid plate, say a strips of rubber on each frame rail.

John
trainman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 12:09 PM   #4144
SAPB
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by trainman View Post
Question, do any of you put a pad between the frame and the skid plate, say a strips of rubber on each frame rail.

John
I didn't on my Ricochet, not sure if you would need longer bolts for that.

Old 04-02-2013, 12:10 PM   #4145
Lost Rider
Roadie

Oddometer: 3,146
Thanks fellows, yes Nancy is quite the trooper and I'm very lucky to have such a great partner.

She does tip toe the bike a little, but with that said, the single biggest thing Jimmy Lewis pounded in everyone's head was only ONE foot down at any given time. I've always had that thought too, I can't flat foot both feet on any of my bikes and constantly practice balancing when coming to a stop, playing a game with how long I can not put down a foot.
We could lower the bike easily since it's easier to buy parts instead of dedicating time to learn, but for us having full travel of the suspension is very important for the kind of riding we do.
Not sure about the LRP stock configuration for rider weight, it seems most bikes are setup for 170-180 pounds methinks, we haven't touched our preload though.
On the LRP it feels like it has a very low COG and is easier to balance than my taller bike even though it's 50 pounds heavier. Folks that are concerned about flatfooting two feet are doing it all wrong and trying to make up for not having balance and control of the bike IMHO. One foot down, one foot on the peg, always.

Nancy learning balance with Jimmy, something we will continue to practice often, even if just in the driveway.

LostRider.com
Lost Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 12:22 PM   #4146
SAPB
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost Rider View Post
Thanks fellows, yes Nancy is quite the trooper and I'm very lucky to have such a great partner.

She does tip toe the bike a little, but with that said, the single biggest thing Jimmy Lewis pounded in everyone's head was only ONE foot down at any given time. I've always had that thought too, I can't flat foot both feet on any of my bikes and constantly practice balancing when coming to a stop, playing a game with how long I can not put down a foot.
We could lower the bike easily since it's easier to buy parts instead of dedicating time to learn, but for us having full travel of the suspension is very important for the kind of riding we do.
Not sure about the LRP stock configuration for rider weight, it seems most bikes are setup for 170-180 pounds methinks, we haven't touched our preload though.
On the LRP it feels like it has a very low COG and is easier to balance than my taller bike even though it's 50 pounds heavier. Folks that are concerned about flatfooting two feet are doing it all wrong and trying to make up for not having balance and control of the bike IMHO. One foot down, one foot on the peg, always.

Nancy learning balance with Jimmy, something we will continue to practice often, even if just in the driveway.

Looks like you replaced the other skid plate with a Ricochet.

Old 04-02-2013, 12:36 PM   #4147
Lost Rider
Roadie

Yup, the other one didn't offer enough protection of the water pump inlet, we broke off the hose clamp on a previous DV ride, luckily I had a spare with us at the time. The Ricochet has been doing a great job of protecting the engine and has many battle scars right at the inlet. Ours is the old model that needs to be removed to change the oil filter, fine by me as I'll take more protection over a little convenience any day. No pad in between ours and the frame like John was asking.
I think it was you who posted about drilling a hole in it to accept the Enduro Star Trail Stand, thanks for that, I did the same but with two holes, one on the side one on the front... luckily we haven't needed to use it yet.

LostRider.com
Old 04-02-2013, 12:47 PM   #4148
SAPB
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Yup, the other one didn't offer enough protection of the water pump inlet, we broke off the hose clamp on a previous DV ride, luckily I had a spare with us at the time. The Ricochet has been doing a great job of protecting the engine and has many battle scars right at the inlet. Ours is the old model that needs to be removed to change the oil filter, fine by me as I'll take more protection over a little convenience any day. No pad in between ours and the frame like John was asking.
I think it was you who posted about drilling a hole in it to accept the Enduro Star Trail Stand, thanks for that, I did the same but with two holes, one on the side one on the front... luckily we haven't needed to use it yet.

Yeah, the bike seems to be pretty neutral when pushing it from the opposite side the towards the sidestand. EnduroStar says it's different depending on your bike, easy to get the rear up, but the front, you need to put a big rock or something on the rear to get it off the ground. Hopefully, only using it off road to lube the chain, but I've seen pics of folks who just laid the bike on the side to get the wheels off. Any flats to deal with in DV?

SAPB screwed with this post 04-02-2013 at 12:54 PM
Old 04-02-2013, 01:03 PM   #4149
Lost Rider
Roadie

Either hole seems to work OK to get the front wheel up without weighing down the rear, at least on flat ground, I like drilling crap and figured options were good.

When changing tires at home I just lift the bike up on a stand, so checking out the ES stand seemed like a good idea while I'm going through the bikes today.

No flats for us, but I did help change one tube on a ride I was leading, using the trail stand to hold the rear up.

LostRider.com
Old 04-02-2013, 01:11 PM   #4150
SAPB
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Either hole seems to work OK to get the front wheel up without weighing down the rear, at least on flat ground, I like drilling crap and figured options were good.

When changing tires at home I just lift the bike up on a stand, so checking out the ES stand seemed like a good idea while I'm going through the bikes today.

No flats for us, but I did help change one tube on a ride I was leading, using the trail stand to hold the rear up.

Looks like it's time to reduce more weight by drilling another hole. Waiting on a Tusk lift to properly adjust the chain, after doing the 13t front. While I'm at it, I'll do the TUbliss conversion on the rear. Out there is one thing, but when you have proper equipment at home, way easier.

Old 04-02-2013, 01:40 PM   #4151
SAPB
Beastly Adventurer

Lost...

What weights are you using to counterbalance the rimlock, chewing gum, and piano wire?

Old 04-02-2013, 02:25 PM   #4152
Lost Rider
Roadie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAPB View Post
What weights are you using to counterbalance the rimlock, chewing gum, and piano wire?

No, just some crimp on weights that have seen lots of use, getting moved around from bike to bike.

LostRider.com
Old 04-02-2013, 03:06 PM   #4153
Lapchik
Tinkeritis posterboy

Oddometer: 257
Quote:
Originally Posted by billfires View Post
John, I believe the dealer stated they were all pre sold and did not hit the sales floor. My dealer's first was like that, took a deposit, it came in , was set up and new owner picked it up. Bill C

Midamerica motoplex in Sioux Falls said I got the last one they had, and they won't get any more in until June. They were trying to get two bikes from western North Dakota in. They are getting hard to find for sale in the US right now.
Lapchik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 03:19 PM   #4154
topping
Adventurer

Oddometer: 19
Clutch

Hello again

I have another clutch problem. I have recently replaced my clutch plates for new stock plates because i burnt them out when i damaged my hand guards and didn't release my clutch leaver wasn't releasing all the way.

Now, I have only been on about 2 or 3 trail rides since the change and mostly allot of commuting and road riding.

So I decided to open it up and gun it down the carriageway today and the clutch is spinning out again?

What could be my problem do i need better quality plates and springs ?

Regards
Phil
Old 04-02-2013, 03:26 PM   #4155
Lost Rider
Roadie

Quote:
Originally Posted by topping View Post
Hello again

I have another clutch problem. I have recently replaced my clutch plates for new stock plates because i burnt them out when i damaged my hand guards and didn't release my clutch leaver wasn't releasing all the way.

Now, I have only been on about 2 or 3 trail rides since the change and mostly allot of commuting and road riding.

So I decided to open it up and gun it down the carriageway today and the clutch is spinning out again?

What could be my problem do i need better quality plates and springs ?

Regards
Phil

Do you have enough clutch free play? In other words when you feel the cable on the lever going in the clutch housing is there a little slack? Even ours when it came brand new had very little slack until I loosened it.
Clutch freeplay is something that should be checked regularly since as a clutch wears more slack is needed.

Sorry to hear of your troubles, but do you happen to slip the clutch with the lever at high RMP's to get started though? That would be a sure way to make it wear out fast.

if you end up replacing the pads again, you could try the EBC pads, they should be available in the UK, part numbers are in the CRF250L Adventure thread. Personally I don't think there's anything wrong with the stock pads and plates for non-heavily modded bikes, only either incorrectly adjusted clutches or operator error. Of course the reason your first one wore out makes sense also.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...=859691&page=3

Good luck!

LostRider.com