Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-17-2013, 04:34 PM   #4381
Steins808
n00b

Oddometer: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Copperhead88 View Post
Hey guys Im picking up my 250L tomorrow and have a few questions. Forgive me if any of it is repetitive but ive read about 80 pages of this thread and my head is spinning!

1. Im going to want a 13tooth right of the bat correct?

2. I want POWER. Whats the best way to go about it? I saw that, that one site posted a bogus dino graph. Id rather not order from them, is there another equal or better option?

3. Where can I get aftermarket plastics? None of my normal parts sites even have the 250L listed as an option yet. Im looking for black or graphite
Check out www.amrracing.com and if that doesn't help you I have another place where I get all white plastics.....
Steins808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 05:02 PM   #4382
Ed@Ford
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,496
Quote:
Originally Posted by steins808 View Post
anyones take on mugen new dual exhaust for the 250l?
http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=lsszo...%3dlsszoizkzpc
i really like the look and want one.
silly!
Ed@Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 05:13 PM   #4383
Steins808
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed@Ford View Post
silly!
Really?? Why?? I like the look. It may not be the most functional as far as performance but its what I like
Old 04-17-2013, 05:37 PM   #4384
gnath9
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 231
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steins808 View Post
Really?? Why?? I like the look. It may not be the most functional as far as performance but its what I like
That's all that matters ... Build it the way you like it. Have fun with it and enjoy your machine.
That's what I did and I could care less what the arrogant self righteous people have to say about it.
It's no wonder why this forum is so dead now days.

There are plenty of others places that will support your ideas and creativity. And I for one look forward to seeing it !!!
gnath9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 05:47 PM   #4385
Steins808
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnath9 View Post
That's all that matters ... Build it the way you like it. Have fun with it and enjoy your machine.
That's what I did and I could care less what the arrogant self righteous people have to say about it.
It's no wonder why this forum is so dead now days.

There are plenty of others places that will support your ideas and creativity. And I for one look forward to seeing it !!!
Why thank you Gnath. It is sad that some people have absolutely no creative backbone nor do,they appreciate or respect others for that matter. However, with that said I did ask for opinions. Regardless, thank you for the support. I think I may just end up purchasing yoshimura RS4 setup since its available already.
Old 04-17-2013, 06:05 PM   #4386
Ed@Ford
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed@Ford View Post
silly!
Ok...."silly" from a backpressure/power/weight saving standpoint....but if it makes you happy....then happy trumps silly. The dual mufflers make sense on a larger displacement engine in terms of power/noise control standpoint.
Old 04-17-2013, 06:44 PM   #4387
Ed@Ford
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cat View Post
So far as i know, Goldfren are crap. Galfer pads are available on ebay but the seller's charge for international shipping is too high. (i think it is a USA seller, so probably also a problem for you.)

I am waiting for EBC to come with pads. They do have clutch plates for it (for the CBR250R), so maybe it will not be long before they have brake pads.

Vesrah have only front pads - which would help, but it's the back brake that is so useless.

Vesrah metal/organic, front VD-181JL
Vesrah semi-metallic, front SD-181
Galfer HH Sintered Ceramic Brake Pads, rear FD409G1396
Galfer GG Semi-Metallic Brake Pads, rear FD409G1054

wow, i hadn't even thought of that. So much to do. But i have the wheels off now and i cleaned the spokes with WD-40, so the disks will get cleaned, but now i know i should take the pads out and scuff them. hmm! :)
CAT: WD40 is not a good "cleaner" for brake rotors and pads. It leaves an oily residue. You want to use a cleaner that is specified for brakes...it removes ALL oil. I've been working on scuffing in my rear brake...it's kinda sad...but most here think it'll come around with more mileage. My front has quickly become better....and except for offroad use, I use a lot of front brake. on todays ride with the whiskers cut off, things were much better...on the front.

I'm betting if you go to EBC/Vesrah/Galfer cross reference books, you'll find the CRF pads are pretty generic and used by other bikes...the fronts look like some I had for an old XR Honda I had. Your list is a great place to start.
Old 04-17-2013, 09:39 PM   #4388
kiwi5
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 339
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayMurdock View Post
Just for information: I went 13T and got it up to 90 MPH (145KMH) today. The rear tire was quite hot after highway use. But the bikes starts to loosen up - got 600km on it now. Fuel use dropped to 52 MPG doing about a tank of flat out.
Hey Ray- be advised that the speedo is run off the rear wheel so your speedo will be reading faster than actual speed (with 13t front sprocket). With my Gps strapped on I was doing 100kph when my speedo was reading 115-117kph. I have got up past 140kph (on the speedo) and if memory serves me right it was around 120kph on the GPS. Your odometer will be out as well, mine reads 8.4% higher than actual. I suggest you beg/borrow/steal a gps and mount it on the handlebars to check you actuals speeds and distances- or get a mate to drive alongside you at exactly 100kph while you check your speedo- and while keeping your eyes on the road!!! I almost hit a sheep grazing on the side of the road when I was watching my GPS while checking my speed.
kiwi5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 07:52 AM   #4389
Auto-X Fil
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 614
To be correct - the speedometer reads from the transmission. If it read from the rear wheel, it wouldn't be affected by sprocket sizes.

The best method I've found to calibrate speed on a motorcycle is to use a smartphone with a simple GPS recording app. There are dozens of free ones. Start the GPS, stick it in a pocket, and then ride a long stretch of road holding as close to a certain speed as you can. You can then go back and check out the speed chart for that section of road, and do the math at a desk, instead of one the bike.
Auto-X Fil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 08:21 AM   #4390
Auto-X Fil
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 614
I guess I haven't posted here before. So, I'll say hi.

My wife's dad and brother and myself all have matching LRPs, new as of this spring. I have the most miles, at a measly ~250 on the odometer, but I just started commuting a couple days a week at 50 miles a day, so that will go up quickly. I've also put the majority of the miles on the other bikes, so I think I have enough seat time to give my impressions.

My father-in-law is using his for work, riding around natural gas pipelines and the roads in between. As he's 200lb+ and rides slowly, especially off-road, I swapped his sprockets for the 13/42 combination. It took about 20 minutes start to finish, and that combination just barely avoids the chain guard/slider interference that seems to require flipping the unit with a 43t rear sprocket. I didn't bother re-calibrating his speedo, as he doesn't exceed the speed limit much anyway, and rides on feel. I like this combo for his use, and could probably even go lower.

For those wondering how much top-end you will lose: here's a handy note: going from the stock 14/40 to 13/42 will lower 6th gear to be equal to the 5th gear of a stock bike. So, just ride around in 5th gear for a while. If you find that acceptable, then you will never miss the extra gearing up top. If you're winding it out a lot, and wanting 6th... then maybe do just one sprocket, or leave it alone.

I'm 145lb, so I find the tall first gear acceptable, and like the tall 6th for cruising at 50-70mph on my back road commute. This bike is very happy doing 40-60mph on back roads with any surface material. 65-75 mph on fast two-lane roads and freeways is doable, but I certainly try to avoid it, as it's not much fun in this upright position with a moto-x lid. I can't see breaking 80mph without a stiff tailwind or a downhill slope, although the gearing would certainly support it. Tooling around town is pretty fun, with the typical caveats about dodging cagers.

My first tank of commuting miles got 65mpg, and I wasn't riding with a focus on fuel economy. That means I get 100 miles before the low-fuel light comes on, which is a little pathetic, but at least 1.6 gal fill-ups are fast. Off-road tanks go by with far fewer miles ticking across the odometer, of course.

Off-road riding is quite good, with the stock tires doing better than expected in slippery spring mud. The suspension is underwhelming on- and off-road, but I'm more into slower riding off-road, so it's fine. Instead of flying over bumps and jumps, I'm more likely to eye up a ravine and see if I can get through it. It's just as challenging, more suited to the terrain I have to ride, and slow falls hurt less.

At about 6' tall, with long legs and average arms, the bars are a bit low. When standing I have to bend slightly at the waist to get to them. Two or three inches of rise would be perfect for me, so eventually I'll probably get some nice bars and handguards.

For now I'm keeping mods to the other two bikes, and leaving mine alone (other than removing the grab handle, mostly to make my ride easy to pick out of the trio at a glance). This is partly to avoid the slippery mod slope, and partly to leave a stock bike as a reference point for any changes to the others.

Anyway, I'm having plenty of fun on it, and hope to get some real saddle time as the weather improves. This thread has been a great resource, so thanks to all the contributors!
Auto-X Fil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 10:47 AM   #4391
NesquikNinja
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 303
I am installing a 13T and lubing my swingarm bearings/shock linkage. I am not replacing anything since the bike is so new, so everything is just getting thoroughly cleaned and relubed. As far as I can tell my factory service manual has everything I need to know about the lubrication process.

So, my questions

My 13T sprocket is significantly thinner than the stock 14T......it looks like the factory sprocket has additional material on either side. Is this supposed to be removed and reused with the new sprocket....?

Also, any tips or caution points when performing these services?
NesquikNinja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 11:38 AM   #4392
Ed@Ford
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by NesquikNinja View Post
My 13T sprocket is significantly thinner than the stock 14T......it looks like the factory sprocket has additional material on either side. Is this supposed to be removed and reused with the new sprocket....?
The dimension from the inner face of the bolt-on clip that keeps the c/s sprocket from falling off to the centerline of teeth determines the side to side alignment of the sprockets

The net thickness of the sprocket at it's internal spline is the surface that transfer force from the splined output shaft to the c/s sprocket...wide there is GOOD....BUT, if either are off in the wrong way...it could be a source of chain wear, or unnecessary wear on the output spline....so be cautious.

Also remember there is rubber moulded on either side of the sprocket that has an OD about equal to the root diameter of the sprocket teeth. This is to minimize noise of the chain as it spins around the sprocket. This makes the sprocket look very different from the 13T sprocket...as far as I know, none of these have the moulded on rubber.

Ed@Ford screwed with this post 04-18-2013 at 11:50 AM
Old 04-18-2013, 02:00 PM   #4393
PeterS
Loves big headlights...

Oddometer: 25
Hyperpro Shock

For those who are looking for a full adjustable shock with remote reservoir:

I handed over my bike to the guys at Hyperpro and they measured it and made a full adjustable shock for my weight + luggage.
They used my bike to get the specs for a shock for the CRF250L and now have them available for the market.

The rear shock is now finished, next week they have the new spring for the forks ready.

I made a testdrive today and it feels and drives great!

My girlfriend and I are planning a RTW-trip on these bikes and although they are great, the suspension is just not up to it for travelling with luggage.

For us these bikes are now close to perfect!

PeterS screwed with this post 04-19-2013 at 10:08 AM Reason: picture upsidedown
PeterS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 06:27 PM   #4394
jjustj
cum petris et choris

Oddometer: 5,468
hyperpro?

how much$$ ?? thanks

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=348508
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=489958 Sunday worship, a strap-on, and Does this water taste funny?
jjustj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 06:52 PM   #4395
Ed@Ford
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjustj View Post
how much$$ ?? thanks
bets anyone????? $US1500 maybe?