Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-05-2013, 11:10 AM   #4636
Turk
'Bab Man

Oddometer: 112
Oh er missus!! I'm loving this bike more & more everyday!! 7 CRFs out today...me in action

Second one was a bit sketchy!
Turk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 11:19 AM   #4637
SAPB
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,449
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turk View Post
Oh er missus!! I'm loving this bike more & more everyday!! 7 CRFs out today...me in action

That looks fun, how did the suspension handle the landing? I came down wrong in loose sand on the front, and was surprised I didn't loose it. It was fairly low speed, though, 2nd gear.

CRF250L Service Manual http://www.hondampe.com.au/docs/owni...F250L13_OM.pdf
SAPB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 11:53 AM   #4638
Chris S
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 180
Quote:
... So...is this the same as EJK modifying NOTHING...or is it a bunch of ZEROS = modifying nothing?
I think zeros = nothing.
1.3/1.5/3 is what Dobeck recommended to me changing back to stock pipe and airbox and it runs fine once warm - now average 73 mpg.
Old 05-05-2013, 12:41 PM   #4639
Ed@Ford
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,486
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris S View Post
I think zeros = nothing.
1.3/1.5/3 is what Dobeck recommended to me changing back to stock pipe and airbox and it runs fine once warm - now average 73 mpg.
Thanks...Ed
Ed@Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 03:24 PM   #4640
Buckshot77
Adventurer

Oddometer: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed@Ford View Post
Thanks...this is good info to know ( 1.5,1.5,3 ) for the stock exhaust. So...is this the same as EJK modifying NOTHING...or is it a bunch of ZEROS = modifying nothing?
Depends wich controller u have. Gen 1 or Gen 2

Gen 1 is the one u should have and it is 0.5 for all six settings for stock( to modify nothing)

Gen 2 is able to lean out fuel as well and 3=0 there ( anything below 3 is removing fuel). This is only gen 2 tho. Gen 1 adds fuel only and there is no zero last reading is 0.5. So 0.5=zero. It's all on their website and in the instructions..

Buckshot77 screwed with this post 05-05-2013 at 03:30 PM
Buckshot77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 04:10 PM   #4641
Ed@Ford
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckshot77 View Post
Depends wich controller u have. Gen 1 or Gen 2

Gen 1 is the one u should have and it is 0.5 for all six settings for stock( to modify nothing)

Gen 2 is able to lean out fuel as well and 3=0 there ( anything below 3 is removing fuel). This is only gen 2 tho. Gen 1 adds fuel only and there is no zero last reading is 0.5. So 0.5=zero. It's all on their website and in the instructions..
Thanks....Ed...yeah..got Gen 1 for sure
Old 05-05-2013, 08:26 PM   #4642
gnath9
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 231
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turk View Post

props to your camera man !!! nice capture.
It's nice to see some actual action shots. Thanks for posting !!!
gnath9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 12:34 AM   #4643
damasovi
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,622
basic info.

well as the tittle read, I will like to ask some basic info on this bike. Last DEcemeber I saw it at the IMS and said, this could be my next bike! I did like the WR but being just 5"8" that bike (as it comes) it's too tall, then the price... NOT for me. Now honda sells this 250L and I fit just right.

So I was wondering what are the maintenance schedules? valves? range? I only see it with a tiny 2 gallon (or less) tank, I guess the after market will fix? or has fix this with a 3.2-4 gallon option??? Any aftermarket sopourt already?

And any necessary fixes? I know the seat is something most will fix but I don't care for it, I remembered it well and it was not worse then the one on the KLX

thanks

Damasovi
Old 05-06-2013, 02:23 AM   #4644
Turk
'Bab Man

Oddometer: 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAPB View Post
That looks fun, how did the suspension handle the landing? I came down wrong in loose sand on the front, and was surprised I didn't loose it. It was fairly low speed, though, 2nd gear.
Seemed to soak it up well, although it did bottom out on one landing. I wont be doing this often so hopefully wont have blown suspension to worry about!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnath9 View Post
props to your camera man !!! nice capture.
It's nice to see some actual action shots. Thanks for posting !!!
Yeah, we were lucky he came...he's making some sort of biking documentary!
Turk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 07:34 AM   #4645
jjustj
cum petris et choris

Oddometer: 5,466
online download of owners manual. Euro model tho!

http://www.honda.co.jp/ownersmanual/...l=CRF250L:eek1

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=348508
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=489958 Sunday worship, a strap-on, and Does this water taste funny?
jjustj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 07:39 AM   #4646
sundey_rider
Adventurer

Oddometer: 11
Hi fellow CRF250L owners!

I recently got this wonderful little bike and would be very glad if you could share your experience with me. First of all - I don't do any offroad riding, as its rather difficult to do it here in Switzerland (going offroad is pretty much illegal everywhere). I got the CRF as a 'pure' street/urban commuter bike, because I wanted to have something light and easy to ride which also looks nice, runs reliably and is cheap to own. And besides, I got a fairly good deal on it. So, now to my question :)

I don't really get the gearing, especially the first gear. It seems to me that is purpose is more low-speed manoeuvring and steep climbs, but I don't see much point of it in the usual traffic. It is very low - already at 15 km/h the engine gets really loud and I get scared each time when I push it over 20 km/h - it sounds like it is about to explode ^^ For me, it makes more sense to launch (e.g. from a light stop) from the second gear - it works really well, I can comfortably accelerate until 35 km/h and besides - the bike seems to accelerate much quicker from stand than using the first gear and then switching to the second. Am I missing something here? Or maybe my bike has some sort of malfunction? The rest of the gears are fine, but a little 'low'. I like the acceleration in 3rd and 4rth, and I usually drive in 5th around the city (50km/h speed limit).
sundey_rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 07:42 AM   #4647
jjustj
cum petris et choris

Oddometer: 5,466
anyone know if the shock for CRF250XRL

will fit the CRF250L??? adjustable and better????? anyone????

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=348508
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=489958 Sunday worship, a strap-on, and Does this water taste funny?
jjustj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 08:09 AM   #4648
Ed@Ford
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sundey_rider View Post
Hi fellow CRF250L owners!

I recently got this wonderful little bike and would be very glad if you could share your experience with me. First of all - I don't do any offroad riding, as its rather difficult to do it here in Switzerland (going offroad is pretty much illegal everywhere). I got the CRF as a 'pure' street/urban commuter bike, because I wanted to have something light and easy to ride which also looks nice, runs reliably and is cheap to own. And besides, I got a fairly good deal on it. So, now to my question :)

I don't really get the gearing, especially the first gear. It seems to me that is purpose is more low-speed manoeuvring and steep climbs, but I don't see much point of it in the usual traffic. It is very low - already at 15 km/h the engine gets really loud and I get scared each time when I push it over 20 km/h - it sounds like it is about to explode ^^ For me, it makes more sense to launch (e.g. from a light stop) from the second gear - it works really well, I can comfortably accelerate until 35 km/h and besides - the bike seems to accelerate much quicker from stand than using the first gear and then switching to the second. Am I missing something here? Or maybe my bike has some sort of malfunction? The rest of the gears are fine, but a little 'low'. I like the acceleration in 3rd and 4rth, and I usually drive in 5th around the city (50km/h speed limit).
Sundey rider:
No, your CRF is absolutely normal. The gearing is set up for exactly what you have said...low speed steep climbs etc on rough surfaces. I am currently breaking mine in with street riding here in the USA and 1-2-3 very quickly I am thru the first 3 gears, and yes, 50 kph = 36 mph is still too slow for 6th gear. However, having ridden many alpine passes in Switzerland, Germany & Austria on larger rental motorcycles, I believe you will find the CRF will require the use of those lower gears on the very slow hairpin turns going up passes, and when you start to loose engine power at higher altitudes. You could of course reduce the size of the rear sprocket to make 1st gear useful in the city, but 6th might not be useful till 100kph or so. So go out and start riding passes...you have the luxury of some of the most exciting roads on the planet...and look for some legal unpaved passes....There still are a few...and you have the bike to do them on.
Old 05-06-2013, 08:40 AM   #4649
sundey_rider
Adventurer

Oddometer: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed@Ford View Post
Sundey rider:
No, your CRF is absolutely normal. The gearing is set up for exactly what you have said...low speed steep climbs etc on rough surfaces. I am currently breaking mine in with street riding here in the USA and 1-2-3 very quickly I am thru the first 3 gears, and yes, 50 kph = 36 mph is still too slow for 6th gear. However, having ridden many alpine passes in Switzerland, Germany & Austria on larger rental motorcycles, I believe you will find the CRF will require the use of those lower gears on the very slow hairpin turns going up passes, and when you start to loose engine power at higher altitudes. You could of course reduce the size of the rear sprocket to make 1st gear useful in the city, but 6th might not be useful till 100kph or so. So go out and start riding passes...you have the luxury of some of the most exciting roads on the planet...and look for some legal unpaved passes....There still are a few...and you have the bike to do them on.
Hey, thanks for the answer. I just noticed that I misspelled 'sunday' ^^ Oh well. So, is it ok for me to start from the second gear or am I running the risk of damaging my clutch/transmission? I just have the feeling that I can't keep up with traffic if I start from 1st... - it was easier with my previous 125cc scooter.

Also, thanks for your hint about the passes - this is something I will surely do in summer. But I want to pass my driver's test first (yes, in Switerland you are permitted on the road without actually having passed the test, crazy).
sundey_rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 08:54 AM   #4650
Ed@Ford
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sundey_rider View Post
Hey, thanks for the answer. I just noticed that I misspelled 'sunday' ^^ Oh well. So, is it ok for me to start from the second gear or am I running the risk of damaging my clutch/transmission? I just have the feeling that I can't keep up with traffic if I start from 1st... - it was easier with my previous 125cc scooter.

Also, thanks for your hint about the passes - this is something I will surely do in summer. But I want to pass my driver's test first (yes, in Switerland you are permitted on the road without actually having passed the test, crazy).
Just change it to Sonntag....I think that's spelled correctly

There has been some discussion on the CRF clutch and durability...do a search on this thread for it. or go to rick ramseys discussion on the clutch...it has what's called a judder spring in it..I personally would use first gear, and make sure the 1 to 2 shift is done "firmly" and with the clutch....the remaining gears are so smooth one barely needs to clutch it. Starting in 2nd might be unnecessary clutch slippage. Maybe others have opinions???