ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 05-06-2013, 09:02 AM   #4651
sundey_rider
Adventurer
 
Joined: May 2013
Oddometer: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed@Ford View Post
the remaining gears are so smooth one barely needs to clutch it
Yes, this is true - its only one week that I am riding this bike (and its my first manual transmission bike with no prior training), but I am already very comfortable with clutches upshifts. The gearbox is really buttery smooth.
sundey_rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 11:19 AM   #4652
Auto-X Fil
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: Feb 2013
Location: Montrose, PA.
Oddometer: 614
Quote:
Originally Posted by sundey_rider View Post
Yes, this is true - its only one week that I am riding this bike (and its my first manual transmission bike with no prior training), but I am already very comfortable with clutches upshifts. The gearbox is really buttery smooth.
I use the clutch for 1-2 upshift, and any agressive downshifts. Other than that, it's extremely happy to shift without the clutch, even downshifting.

Starting from a stop in 2nd slips the clutch more than I like. With 13/42 gearing it's more reasonable, but still pretty tall for a bike of this weight.
Auto-X Fil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 12:24 PM   #4653
SAPB
Beastly Adventurer
 
SAPB's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2012
Location: Rhode Island
Oddometer: 1,452
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed@Ford View Post
Just change it to Sonntag....I think that's spelled correctly

There has been some discussion on the CRF clutch and durability...do a search on this thread for it. or go to rick ramseys discussion on the clutch...it has what's called a judder spring in it..I personally would use first gear, and make sure the 1 to 2 shift is done "firmly" and with the clutch....the remaining gears are so smooth one barely needs to clutch it. Starting in 2nd might be unnecessary clutch slippage. Maybe others have opinions???
I personally wouldn't be starting in 2nd gear, saves the clutch life. There's a rev limiter, so you can't really over rev it. The power being made "falls off" before the rev limiter kicks in, never really got to the rev limiter myself. Good luck with the new bike!
__________________
C14 - CRF250L, always cleaned while it's raining

CRF250L Service Manual http://www.hondampe.com.au/docs/owni...F250L13_OM.pdf
SAPB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 01:32 PM   #4654
Gilerd
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Gilerd's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2013
Location: 250Lville, Virginia
Oddometer: 133
Thumb

Review of TCI borrego rack w/ pelican 1520 installed.
__________________
Everything we do affects the entire cosmos for eternity, far out man!
Gilerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 03:04 PM   #4655
RayMurdock
Adventurer
 
Joined: Mar 2013
Location: Netherlands
Oddometer: 19
Thumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost Rider View Post
There's no reason you can't run a tube in a tubeless tire, the BMW F800GS and R1200R Classic come with tubes with tubless tires stock and I have run countless ones myself. That's the cheapest method.

You could also send your wheels into Woody's Works Works and have them sealed so you can go tubeless, with your location that might not be the most cost effective though.


The Shinko 705 makes for a great inexpensive long lasting "street" tire is you're looking for something like a 90/10 tire.
Thank you all for the advice given (Chris S et al). So to conclude, the easy method would be to find any tubeless combined with the stock tubes. This makes sense - most have reinforced sidewalls as carcass, my friend told me that even without air the tubeless should still be usable at very low speed (emergency home coming purpose).
RayMurdock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 03:18 PM   #4656
SAPB
Beastly Adventurer
 
SAPB's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2012
Location: Rhode Island
Oddometer: 1,452
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayMurdock View Post
Thank you all for the advice given (Chris S et al). So to conclude, the easy method would be to find any tubeless combined with the stock tubes. This makes sense - most have reinforced sidewalls as carcass, my friend told me that even without air the tubeless should still be usable at very low speed (emergency home coming purpose).
Yes, always consider all the advice, then decide for yourself what to do. Probably limited choices for 21" street tires, but then again, I've not gone there.
__________________
C14 - CRF250L, always cleaned while it's raining

CRF250L Service Manual http://www.hondampe.com.au/docs/owni...F250L13_OM.pdf
SAPB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 04:21 PM   #4657
Buckshot77
Adventurer
 
Buckshot77's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2013
Location: British Columbia
Oddometer: 42
Future racer

Here's the bike I ride while thrashing...I mean training the kids. Lol


Just kidding. They give me a run for my money. The 80 is all bagged out and I may be a little too heavy for it but we have fun. They'll ride around the yard all day whenever they can..
Buckshot77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 06:14 PM   #4658
SAPB
Beastly Adventurer
 
SAPB's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2012
Location: Rhode Island
Oddometer: 1,452
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckshot77 View Post
Here's the bike I ride while thrashing...I mean training the kids. Lol


Just kidding. They give me a run for my money. The 80 is all bagged out and I may be a little too heavy for it but we have fun. They'll ride around the yard all day whenever they can..
+1 on parenting skills.
__________________
C14 - CRF250L, always cleaned while it's raining

CRF250L Service Manual http://www.hondampe.com.au/docs/owni...F250L13_OM.pdf
SAPB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 05:12 AM   #4659
SAPB
Beastly Adventurer
 
SAPB's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2012
Location: Rhode Island
Oddometer: 1,452
Just today

Not sure why they waited until now: http://www.motorcycledaily.com/2013/...d-ride-review/
__________________
C14 - CRF250L, always cleaned while it's raining

CRF250L Service Manual http://www.hondampe.com.au/docs/owni...F250L13_OM.pdf
SAPB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 06:34 AM   #4660
sundey_rider
Adventurer
 
Joined: May 2013
Oddometer: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Auto-X Fil View Post
I use the clutch for 1-2 upshift, and any agressive downshifts. Other than that, it's extremely happy to shift without the clutch, even downshifting.

Starting from a stop in 2nd slips the clutch more than I like. With 13/42 gearing it's more reasonable, but still pretty tall for a bike of this weight.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAPB View Post
I personally wouldn't be starting in 2nd gear, saves the clutch life. There's a rev limiter, so you can't really over rev it. The power being made "falls off" before the rev limiter kicks in, never really got to the rev limiter myself. Good luck with the new bike!
Thanks for your comments, everyone, I really appreciate it! Today I learned that the bike can indeed be fast in the first gear as well. I tried giving a bit more throttle and release the clutch a bit faster. I probably overdid it ever so slightly, as the bike would do half a wheele and then jump forward. I didn't fell though Learning how to ride is fun ^^
sundey_rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 01:23 PM   #4661
pandamanprod
Adventurer
 
pandamanprod's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2012
Location: Los Angeles
Oddometer: 93
Shift LEVER AWESOME!

Over the weekend I lost my balance on a hill climb, and the bike tipped over, the aluminum shift lever I bought certainly didn't bend! They were right about that! Any thoughts on an aftermarket Steel? I got mine from best dual sport bikes, but they don't list it anymore, and I want a folding steel lever. Any thoughts? In the meantime, I get to rock my ghetto mod.
__________________
Why not?
pandamanprod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 02:34 PM   #4662
Irish769
Wanna-be
 
Irish769's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2012
Location: Nebraska
Oddometer: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by pandamanprod View Post
Over the weekend I lost my balance on a hill climb, and the bike tipped over, the aluminum shift lever I bought certainly didn't bend! They were right about that! Any thoughts on an aftermarket Steel? I got mine from best dual sport bikes, but they don't list it anymore, and I want a folding steel lever. Any thoughts? In the meantime, I get to rock my ghetto mod.
I saw on another forum that the MSR shift lever (part # 342169) fits this bike perfectly. It runs about $25 which is decently priced. I can't remember however if it's steel or alloy??? I think I'm gonna order one as a spare.
__________________
2008 Concours 14 (Traded)
2004 Yamaha Roadstar
1975 KZ 400
2013 CRF 250L
2014 BMW GSW
Irish769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 02:54 PM   #4663
NesquikNinja
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Sep 2012
Location: East Missouri
Oddometer: 303
Quote:
Originally Posted by pandamanprod View Post
Over the weekend I lost my balance on a hill climb, and the bike tipped over, the aluminum shift lever I bought certainly didn't bend! They were right about that! Any thoughts on an aftermarket Steel? I got mine from best dual sport bikes, but they don't list it anymore, and I want a folding steel lever. Any thoughts? In the meantime, I get to rock my ghetto mod.

Damnit. Glad it broke their and didnt break the spline where it bolts on.

Not glad that I have the same lever.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparrowhawk View Post
More stuff will clutter your life and make you poor. More adventure will richen your existence. Make do and make tracks.
NesquikNinja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 03:05 PM   #4664
Ed@Ford
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jan 2004
Location: Dearborn MI
Oddometer: 1,494
Quote:
Originally Posted by irish769 View Post
i saw on another forum that the msr shift lever (part # 342169) fits this bike perfectly. It runs about $25 which is decently priced. I can't remember however if it's steel or alloy??? I think i'm gonna order one as a spare.
aluminum
Ed@Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 03:07 PM   #4665
pandamanprod
Adventurer
 
pandamanprod's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2012
Location: Los Angeles
Oddometer: 93
Thanks for the tip! I noticed that this listed part is aluminum, but I know MSR sells steel variants, so hopefully they make the same part in steel. It's listed as a shift lever for a modern CRF 150 R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish769 View Post
I saw on another forum that the MSR shift lever (part # 342169) fits this bike perfectly. It runs about $25 which is decently priced. I can't remember however if it's steel or alloy??? I think I'm gonna order one as a spare.
__________________
Why not?
pandamanprod is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 11:57 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014