Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-13-2013, 05:51 AM   #4741
Auto-X Fil
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 578
I re-verified this morning. The odometer read 1.3% too high over a known 24.0 mile course, which is the same type of reading I get every time I check, I on each bike.

So, my fuel economy calculations are within 1mpg.
Auto-X Fil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 06:52 AM   #4742
Chris S
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 147
I agree the error is unusually high. Never had a bike this inaccurate but I have verified mine with satnav, GPS with 'pings' set every 2 seconds (for odo), Vapor calibrated to nearest mm off front wheel, mile markers on an interstate and even a 100-mile day out with a KLX. All said the same. My speedo and odo were short of true.
You must have got s good one!
Old 05-13-2013, 07:54 AM   #4743
Bighouse
Adventurer

Oddometer: 26
I just tried mine out. Speedo said I was going 70km/h gps said 64km/h..
Bighouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 08:58 AM   #4744
Auto-X Fil
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 578
Where are you all located? Did your bike come with a 120/80R18 IRC GP-22 on the back? It's not like there's any significant tolerance in the system, except the variance in size of the rear tire. Even then, 5% diameter difference on the tire is 16.5mm of tread depth (radius), which is implausible.
Auto-X Fil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 11:47 AM   #4745
Brandon805
Get the camera

Oddometer: 12
uh oh. This has happened to me 3 times now. I'm in fifth gear, around 2/3 throttle, and out of nowhere the bike starts skipping in gear. The revs will jump up and then catch, jump up and then catch . Does it about 3 times... I haven't done anything crazy on the bike, nothing of note to warrant the behavior. Any tips on what to look at?? I'm going to the BMW rally in mariposa next week accompanied by some day rides to yosemite and hetch hetchy, and I surely do not want to find myself dead on the road. I'll say again, UH OH.

It's only occurred a few times now, but I'm about ready to go back to the dealer and start ripping heads off.

I've only got 3340 miles, and have been very regular with maintenance.
Brandon805 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 12:00 PM   #4746
Rob.G
Mostly Harmless

Oddometer: 2,123
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon805 View Post
uh oh. This has happened to me 3 times now. I'm in fifth gear, around 2/3 throttle, and out of nowhere the bike starts skipping in gear. The revs will jump up and then catch, jump up and then catch . Does it about 3 times... I haven't done anything crazy on the bike, nothing of note to warrant the behavior. Any tips on what to look at?? I'm going to the BMW rally in mariposa next week accompanied by some day rides to yosemite and hetch hetchy, and I surely do not want to find myself dead on the road. I'll say again, UH OH.

It's only occurred a few times now, but I'm about ready to go back to the dealer and start ripping heads off.

This is where I'm gonna do a little Honda bashing... it's why I haven't considered owning another Honda til the CRF250L came along, and I do wonder even then. Back in 2003, I bought a new Honda Rincon 650 ATV. Nice machine, but top speed was only 48 mph according to my GPS. Kinda pathetic for a 650CC machine, especially when my Yamaha Grizzly 660 was good for 63. There was lots of talk on the forums about there being an o-ring problem in the transmission, and that an updated kit was out and when the work was done, the problem was corrected. The local dealer hadn't heard of this, didn't care to see anything online, and insisted that I pay all their costs up front for diagnostics and (maybe) eventual repair, and THEN they'd submit it to Honda for reimbursement. I had the extended warranty on the thing too. To me this was completely unacceptable. I even called the Honda main office about it and they refused to help. I swore at that time I would never own another Honda product of any kind.

Since then, any powersports vehicle I buy has to be something I can do 99.9% of the work on myself, since dealers are a joke.

Rob
'10 Kawasaki KLX351S #320
Rob.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 12:03 PM   #4747
Bake
adventurer

Oddometer: 10,515
Laugh

Bill Blue of B and B Cycle Restoration and I went riding in Medicine Lodge Ks this past weekend. I have the Yoshimura full system, Dobeck contoller and the 13t sprocket. The 250 is great! With those changes for now, it really is an easy bike to ride, the good handling saved me a couple times when we got into deep sand.

Bill has all the info on his 283cc and 305cc big bore kits, and he has worked closely with Dobeck to get a controller that serves the bigger engines. I understand the kits are now ready. They aren't on his website yet, but he asked me to start telling owners when I can.

Reach Bill Blue @ 316-640-3629 for the details, or his email is:

b_jblue@sbcglobal.net

I spoke with Bill this morning, and he is in Colorado testing, and will be home Sunday night, the 19th
He told me the test bike has 145 dyno runs, sorting out the two sizes, several pipe configurations, and 2 different fuel control modules. Tough engines.
Thanks,
Bake

Bake screwed with this post 05-14-2013 at 07:43 AM
Bake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 12:03 PM   #4748
BlueLghtning
Riding is my passion

Oddometer: 4,894
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon805 View Post

Well start with the simple stuff. You mention 5th gear, but is a load issue? Are you lugging the engine when this happens or are you higher in the rev band?

It seems unlikely at such low mileage, but how is your chain/sprockets and their tension? Is your chain jumping teeth by chance? These issues show up more under "heavy load" under lower RPM's.

Does it feel more like an actual transmission issue? Again, seems totally crazy at such low mileage on a new bike?
Smugmug Pics - Save $5 <-- Click Here
BlueLghtning is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 12:06 PM   #4749
Rob.G
Mostly Harmless

Oddometer: 2,123
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bake View Post
Bill Blue of B and B Cycle Restoration and I went riding in Medicine Lodge Ks this past weekend. I have the Yoshimura full system, Dobeck contoller and the 13t sprocket. The 250 is great! With those changes for now, it really is an easy bike to ride, the good handling saved me a couple times when we got into deep sand.

Bill has all the info on his 283cc and 305cc big bore kits, and he has worked closely with Dobeck to get a controller that serves the bigger engines. I understand the kits are now ready. They aren't on his website yet, but he asked me to start telling owners when I can.

Reach Bill Blue @ 316-640-3629 for the details
You guys are gonna love 'em! I'm (finally) ordering the 351 kit for my KLX250S this week, and also getting the optional head porting/bigger valves done.

AND, while I'm at it -- spend the money and get your suspension properly setup! I finally got two weekends of riding on my MotoPro setup on my KLX, and with some fine tuning of the compression and rebound settings, it's now FANTASTIC. I can blow over large bumps (water bars for example) and you don't even have to slow down anymore.

Rob
'10 Kawasaki KLX351S #320
Rob.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 12:33 PM   #4750
SAPB
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,421
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bake View Post

Reach Bill Blue @ 316-640-3629 for the details

Thanks,
Bake
Hmmm, I almost bought a 66 Honda 305, and have kinda kicked myself for not doing it...............
Oops, compression raised, need for higher octane, not sure I want to go there.

Here's a thought. On a different bike which does require premium fuel, some dork put 87 octane in, and the bike ran like crap, but the computerized electronics, did what it had to do, so it didn't implode, and next tank of "real" gas, it was fine. Would the OEM CRF computer compensate for "ping" with the big bore kit, and low octane?

CRF250L Service Manual http://www.hondampe.com.au/docs/owni...F250L13_OM.pdf

SAPB screwed with this post 05-13-2013 at 01:47 PM
SAPB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 06:27 PM   #4751
SugarDust
Kulia i ka nu'u

Oddometer: 827
Larger Capacity IMS tank

Has anyone seen this yet? I thought it would be out by now

2013 KTM 250 XC-W
2013 Honda CRF250L
2011 BMW F650GS

SugarDust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 06:42 AM   #4752
SAPB
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SugarDust View Post
Has anyone seen this yet? I thought it would be out by now
http://advrider.com/forums/showpost....postcount=4536

Old 05-14-2013, 07:01 AM   #4753
lloydpb
Adventurer

Oddometer: 44
Can anyone tell me the part number for the screw that holds the turnlight assembly to the rubber mount?

My turn light was hanging off this morning and the screw is missing!

As I have only done 175 miles and they have been gentle running-in I am not impressed, and will check and loctite the others tonight.

I did look on a parts fiche on line but couldnt see it specified, so any help appreciated.
Thanks
Lloyd.
lloydpb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 07:44 AM   #4754
SAPB
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lloydpb View Post
Can anyone tell me the part number for the screw that holds the turnlight assembly to the rubber mount?

My turn light was hanging off this morning and the screw is missing!

As I have only done 175 miles and they have been gentle running-in I am not impressed, and will check and loctite the others tonight.

I did look on a parts fiche on line but couldnt see it specified, so any help appreciated.
Thanks
Lloyd.
http://www.hondapartsnation.com/oemp...38/turn-signal

Could take the one off the other side to a hardware store.

Old 05-14-2013, 07:46 AM   #4755
sundey_rider
Adventurer

Oddometer: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Auto-X Fil View Post
FYI, this engine dies so hard up top, and the gearing is so tight, that this bike makes a perfect example of something that should be shifted well below redline.

The best shift points for the stock gearing are:

2 - 9850
3 - 9400
4 - 8950
5 - 8900
6 - 8850

The real take-away for those with a tach is that there's no reason to spend any time above 9k rpm.
Hmm, any hints for a noob how to recognise those rpms from the engine noise alone, without a tach?
sundey_rider is offline   Reply With Quote