User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-08-2013, 05:20 PM   #4936
Lucky62
Dreamer Extraordinaire

Oddometer: 44
Question ......Really?

...read the article you posted the link to.......77mph is the MAX I've been able to attain on my CRF, installed the EJK fuel controller today, didn't change any settings yet, but can barely tell any difference, seems to pull a little better in 6th gear, but no great improvement noted, anyone here able to hit 85 with their LRP?...stock, which is what I assume RoadRunner tested.
Old 06-08-2013, 09:34 PM   #4937
mjs91882
Adventurer

Oddometer: 56
How are you guys liking your bikes??? Im looking into getting a 250 dual sport any suggestions??
mjs91882 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 09:35 PM   #4938
gnath9
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 231
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky62 View Post
...read the article you posted the link to.......77mph is the MAX I've been able to attain on my CRF, installed the EJK fuel controller today, didn't change any settings yet, but can barely tell any difference, seems to pull a little better in 6th gear, but no great improvement noted, anyone here able to hit 85 with their LRP?...stock, which is what I assume RoadRunner tested.
I added the full FMF exhaust with megabomb/Q4 and the programmer also put 13/42 sprockets and removed the snorkel from my air box.
before I calibrated my speedo it displayed 88mph and my GPS showed 79mph.

this bike is way way over geared and a reduction in gearing will in fact add to your top speed.

Disclaimer:
This is just my experience and by no way do I claim this to be fact.
(for the sake of arguments)
gnath9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 10:02 PM   #4939
gnath9
Gnarly Adventurer

I thought since most of you here are more of the adventure camper type riders I would share this little DYI video.

http://youtu.be/us7AeG7OEY4
Old 06-09-2013, 03:22 AM   #4940
SAPB
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,418
Quote:
I have the 13t front sprocket only. Stock exhaust, no air box mods. I have the SpeedoDRD calibrated with a Garmin, and I have had it doing 80, and it had a little more in it. Not sure how much mileage you have on yours, the engine will "loosen up" after a while. Just me, but I avoid the highways anyway.

CRF250L Service Manual http://www.hondampe.com.au/docs/owni...F250L13_OM.pdf
SAPB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 03:23 AM   #4941
SAPB
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnath9 View Post
I thought since most of you here are more of the adventure camper type riders I would share this little DYI video.

http://youtu.be/us7AeG7OEY4
Nice little stove, thanks for sharing!

Old 06-09-2013, 06:14 AM   #4942
Lucky62
Dreamer Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnath9 View Post
I added the full FMF exhaust with megabomb/Q4 and the programmer also put 13/42 sprockets and removed the snorkel from my air box.
before I calibrated my speedo it displayed 88mph and my GPS showed 79mph.

this bike is way way over geared and a reduction in gearing will in fact add to your top speed.

Disclaimer:
This is just my experience and by no way do I claim this to be fact.
(for the sake of arguments)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAPB View Post
I have the 13t front sprocket only. Stock exhaust, no air box mods. I have the SpeedoDRD calibrated with a Garmin, and I have had it doing 80, and it had a little more in it. Not sure how much mileage you have on yours, the engine will "loosen up" after a while. Just me, but I avoid the highways anyway.
Hmmmm....I sold my trusty KLR and bought this bike thinking maybe I could do the same kind of riding but on a lighter weight machine. Probably not the smartest decision I ever made, but it's ok, I've made worse.

Gearing DOWN to go faster on top end I just don't get, I may buy the 13t just to try it, but I was actually hoping to get enough pull out of 6th gear to go to a 15t. I rode my KLR on the backroads and US Hwy's mostly, but it cruised 70 mph @ 5000rpm. I know, I know, this isn't a KLR, but I feel like with the right mods it could do 70 without being at almost full throttle. I've got close to 1500miles on the LRP now, mostly road miles back and forth to work and to and from places to play offroad.

I did pull the spark arrester out and made my own turn down pipe to open the exhaust up some, I hate to screw up the muffler and wanted to keep it where I could put it all back stock if I decided to. I just have a hard time forking over $400+ for a pipe I'm not going to like because it's too loud. Too many comments about the noise of the FMF pipes doesn't help me convince myself to bite the bullet and buy one.

I'll pull the snorkel out and try see if it seems to help today if the rain holds off long enough....

Thanks for the comments guys, I'm really wanting to love this bike but am putting more and more $$$ in it without getting where I thought I could....
Old 06-09-2013, 06:25 AM   #4943
Tortious
Adventurer

Oddometer: 13
Quote:
Hmmmm....I sold my trusty KLR and bought this bike thinking maybe I could do the same kind of riding but on a lighter weight machine. Probably not the smartest decision I ever made, but it's ok, I've made worse.

Gearing DOWN to go faster on top end I just don't get, I may buy the 13t just to try it, but I was actually hoping to get enough pull out of 6th gear to go to a 15t. I rode my KLR on the backroads and US Hwy's mostly, but it cruised 70 mph @ 5000rpm. I know, I know, this isn't a KLR, but I feel like with the right mods it could do 70 without being at almost full throttle. I've got close to 1500miles on the LRP now, mostly road miles back and forth to work and to and from places to play offroad.

I did pull the spark arrester out and made my own turn down pipe to open the exhaust up some, I hate to screw up the muffler and wanted to keep it where I could put it all back stock if I decided to. I just have a hard time forking over $400+ for a pipe I'm not going to like because it's too loud. Too many comments about the noise of the FMF pipes doesn't help me convince myself to bite the bullet and buy one.

I'll pull the snorkel out and try see if it seems to help today if the rain holds off long enough....

Thanks for the comments guys, I'm really wanting to love this bike but am putting more and more $$$ in it without getting where I thought I could....
I was thinking the same thing. Maybe this bike could be a good all-rounder in the city, a bit off-road and a couple of trips. However, the more I think about it and research, the more I realize that this bike is more of a niche bike.

Here is a great article written by the king himself.

http://adventure-motorcyclingh.com/2...mile-review-2/
Tortious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 07:16 AM   #4944
Lucky62
Dreamer Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tortious View Post
I was thinking the same thing. Maybe this bike could be a good all-rounder in the city, a bit off-road and a couple of trips. However, the more I think about it and research, the more I realize that this bike is more of a niche bike.

Here is a great article written by the king himself.

http://adventure-motorcyclingh.com/2...mile-review-2/
Yep, I agree....great article by the way, I'm getting lost reading all the links in it......good stuff.

Thanks, my LRP may be for sale soon. As they say, you gotta know when to fold 'em....
Old 06-09-2013, 08:02 AM   #4945
trainman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 389
I agree with the article, dual sport riding it what it is for that size of bike, if throwing dollars at a CRF250L is your thing, then do it, but your results are going to be very little. Owing a 650 dual sport will increase your riding adventures by a bunch, payload, top speeds, bike comfort, etc. Life is always a tradeoff, so pick your style of ride and get going, I truly like my CRF250L for what it is, but not trying to make it something it not.

John
trainman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 08:47 AM   #4946
gnath9
Gnarly Adventurer

I absolutely love my CRF250L now that I have the Race Tech suspension under it but, by no means do I believe this bike was ever intended as an "Adventure" bike.
It does make for a real nice in town dual sport that is more than capable for off road single track or woods riding and with the full Race Tech suspension it does pretty good on the MX tracks as well.
I also enjoy short 30 minute highway rides but would never even consider doing any real traveling on it.
This bike fits my needs real well. I can chase my boy on his CRF80F around on the trails. I can also enjoy him riding with me to the store to grab some goodies or whatever. I also think it will be fine next year when I am chasing my boy on a CRF150R.
It all just comes down to what your specific needs are and too many people try to make this bike or any other 250 dual sport into something it is not nor was intended to be.
Old 06-09-2013, 08:49 AM   #4947
SAPB
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:

The 13t comes stock on the CBR, so get it where ever. At the time, I didn't know it, and got one from CRFonly, and they socked it to me on shipping. I ordered the spark plug wrench from Partzilla, and it's like $1.75 shipping. It did take a while before they shipped it, but I didn't need it quick. The 13t makes a big difference.......

SAPB screwed with this post 06-09-2013 at 02:58 PM
Old 06-09-2013, 04:57 PM   #4948
frog13
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,264
Quote:

I believe the gearing down thought is in relation to more torque possibly, which will assist up top.
frog13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 05:34 PM   #4949
bdolnik
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjs91882 View Post
How are you guys liking your bikes??? Im looking into getting a 250 dual sport any suggestions??
I use mine for commuting to work and riding local trails. It's a very nice bike, easy to ride, easy to keep clean, easy to own... I really like it. Here's a video I did of my ride this weekend.

bdolnik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 10:25 PM   #4950
mjs91882
Adventurer

Oddometer: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdolnik View Post
I use mine for commuting to work and riding local trails. It's a very nice bike, easy to ride, easy to keep clean, easy to own... I really like it. Here's a video I did of my ride this weekend.

Ahh i used to ride in Florida on my Klr650, it was not fun off roading. Way to heavy. How is this bike handling off road? It looks solid from your video..
mjs91882 is offline   Reply With Quote