Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-09-2013, 10:28 PM   #4951
mjs91882
Adventurer

Oddometer: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky62 View Post
Hmmmm....I sold my trusty KLR and bought this bike thinking maybe I could do the same kind of riding but on a lighter weight machine. Probably not the smartest decision I ever made, but it's ok, I've made worse.

Gearing DOWN to go faster on top end I just don't get, I may buy the 13t just to try it, but I was actually hoping to get enough pull out of 6th gear to go to a 15t. I rode my KLR on the backroads and US Hwy's mostly, but it cruised 70 mph @ 5000rpm. I know, I know, this isn't a KLR, but I feel like with the right mods it could do 70 without being at almost full throttle. I've got close to 1500miles on the LRP now, mostly road miles back and forth to work and to and from places to play offroad.

I did pull the spark arrester out and made my own turn down pipe to open the exhaust up some, I hate to screw up the muffler and wanted to keep it where I could put it all back stock if I decided to. I just have a hard time forking over $400+ for a pipe I'm not going to like because it's too loud. Too many comments about the noise of the FMF pipes doesn't help me convince myself to bite the bullet and buy one.

I'll pull the snorkel out and try see if it seems to help today if the rain holds off long enough....

Thanks for the comments guys, I'm really wanting to love this bike but am putting more and more $$$ in it without getting where I thought I could....
I also owned a KLR, it did an ok job but was to heavy for any real off road stuff. What are your dislikes about this bike? How does it handle off road compared to the KLR? Any insight would be great. Thank you Matt
mjs91882 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 01:06 AM   #4952
cat
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,323
i cannot understand the moaning/dissatisfaction. i cannot quite imagine what else anyone would have expected.

Quote:
I agree with the article, dual sport riding it what it is for that size of bike, if throwing dollars at a CRF250L is your thing, then do it, but your results are going to be very little. Owing a 650 dual sport will increase your riding adventures by a bunch, payload, top speeds, bike comfort, etc. Life is always a tradeoff, so pick your style of ride and get going, I truly like my CRF250L for what it is, but not trying to make it something it not.
We are not trying to make it something it is not. We are just improving it. There is nothing unusual about getting freeflow exhausts and fuel programmers, changing final gear ratio, changing handlebars, changing tyres and so on.
650 dual sport? Is there such a thing? "will increase your riding adventures by a bunch"?
What trade-off is there?
It is not an enduro bike? Who would think it is an enduro bike? Not anyone who actually does do enduro competition or intends to.
It is not a road bike? Because it is not the CBR250R or the 250 Ninja? It is a road bike, actually. With the same compromise on tyres that has always been the case but other than that, many people - many - including thousands of people in Thailand and S.E.Asia generally - prefer the seating position and so on, and the longer travel suspension, for a general purpose bike.

cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 02:56 AM   #4953
SAPB
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,418
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdolnik View Post
I use mine for commuting to work and riding local trails. It's a very nice bike, easy to ride, easy to keep clean, easy to own... I really like it. Here's a video I did of my ride this weekend.

Nice video, and I know what you mean about the mud. We had the "remains" of Andrea here, 4"+ of rain, in a fairly short time.

CRF250L Service Manual http://www.hondampe.com.au/docs/owni...F250L13_OM.pdf
SAPB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 04:54 AM   #4954
Vspec
Adventurer

Oddometer: 89
Anyone knows the size of the stock exhaust opening? I am trying to figure out if I need a large silencer plug or small one.
Vspec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 06:03 AM   #4955
cat
Beastly Adventurer

just guessing, but i think large, the small ones typically for 2-strokes with the small outlet pipes. Large would work in all except those 2-stroke cans.

Old 06-10-2013, 08:27 AM   #4956
TNC
Candyass Camper

Oddometer: 4,590
Quote:
Originally Posted by cat View Post
i cannot understand the moaning/dissatisfaction. i cannot quite imagine what else anyone would have expected.

We are not trying to make it something it is not. We are just improving it. There is nothing unusual about getting freeflow exhausts and fuel programmers, changing final gear ratio, changing handlebars, changing tyres and so on.
650 dual sport? Is there such a thing? "will increase your riding adventures by a bunch"?
What trade-off is there?
It is not an enduro bike? Who would think it is an enduro bike? Not anyone who actually does do enduro competition or intends to.
It is not a road bike? Because it is not the CBR250R or the 250 Ninja? It is a road bike, actually. With the same compromise on tyres that has always been the case but other than that, many people - many - including thousands of people in Thailand and S.E.Asia generally - prefer the seating position and so on, and the longer travel suspension, for a general purpose bike.
Well, it may actually be a bit logical to want/expect more out of a lot of these different DS bikes and then be disappointed with the outcome. Whether it's reasonable is a whole other issue. A DS bike is trying to be a jack-of-all-trades, and that's almost always unattainable. However, a lot of DS bike riders want something along the lines of the CRF250L engine in a CRF250X frame. They want the lighter weight, quality suspension, but with an engine that has bulletproof reliability and durability. For the most part this just doesn't exist. To get anything approaching that, you have to go outside the box with lots of suspension mods and maybe even a few engine mods to up the ante. This starts costing money at the production level on a new bike or out of the wallet of the owner of a more normal DS bike who will do the mods.

The concept of the new KTM Freeride 350 might be the most realistic approach to a true DS bike capable of harder core dirt riding, but even it will have its limitations...and price is steep. The concept of "trying to make a bike something it's not" is fine as long as you're not hitting up gnarlier trails. While it's not reasonable to try and turn most of these DS machines into enduro competition bikes, you'll appreciate and in some cases "need" better, modded suspension when bombing up or down trails and 2-track in Moab, Colorado, and many other places. Sure...I've seen people riding...or at least trying to ride in some case...very large bikes like BMW GS and KTM900 series bikes in some pretty gnarly places, but I don't think that's what most riders truly want.

It's fine that many, maybe most, riders are perfectly fine with stock CRF250L's, WR250R's, and KLX250's. However, it's very reasonable for many others to want something more in the vein of the bike that has a good DS motor stuffed into a more competition oriented chassis. Until something like that gets built by a major manufacturer, the dissatisfaction and disappointment will continue with just about all the DS bikes that are currently out there. You have to admit that most of the manufacturers try to tout their DS bikes in the light of being quite capable of off roading by the flashy add pics of their particular bike sitting atop a 13,000' off road mountain pass or bombing through gnarly terrain at what appears to be warp speed. Many of us know better, but disappointment will still be common among many.
TNC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 10:03 AM   #4957
SAPB
Beastly Adventurer

Plug wrench

Just got my CBR spark plug wrench from here, wow, that plug is way down in there. The tool is 5 5/8 inches long, and comes up just enough above the head, to get a 10mm wrench on there. Shipping was only $1.75, but it took a while before they shipped it (#9) : http://www.partzilla.com/parts/searc...OLS/parts.html

SAPB screwed with this post 06-10-2013 at 10:08 AM
Old 06-10-2013, 11:04 AM   #4958
jjustj
cum petris et choris

Oddometer: 5,392
they also list crf 250 L for 4399$

http://www.partzilla.com/Showroom/Ho...D.html...:eek1

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=348508
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=489958 Sunday worship, a strap-on, and Does this water taste funny?
jjustj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 01:35 PM   #4959
mjs91882
Adventurer

Oddometer: 56
So everyone like there CRF250L??? Or should i go with the Kawasaki KLX250???
mjs91882 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 01:46 PM   #4960
SAPB
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjs91882 View Post
Google starting problems KLX250, then you decide. I watched someone try to get one started for like 10 minutes, and decided FI was the way to go.

Old 06-10-2013, 02:31 PM   #4961
Auto-X Fil
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 574
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjs91882 View Post
Everyone in this thread voted CRF-250L :-)

If they were the same price, or even close, I'd swap for a WRR in a heartbeat. But not the KLX.
Auto-X Fil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 04:04 PM   #4962
Chris S
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 147
Quote:
Well, it may actually be...
Well put TNC.
Old 06-10-2013, 04:58 PM   #4963
cat
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vspec View Post
Anyone knows the size of the stock exhaust opening? I am trying to figure out if I need a large silencer plug or small one.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cat View Post
just guessing, but i think large, the small ones typically for 2-strokes with the small outlet pipes. Large would work in all except those 2-stroke cans.
Sorry, i was thinking of the FMF exhaust, just realised now when i saw the original exhaust in the lounge. where it's been lying for months.
You need a small plug for the stock exhaust.

Old 06-10-2013, 07:38 PM   #4964
jjustj
cum petris et choris

Oddometer: 5,392
700 miles so far . Impressions and my 2 cents worth!

a bit of my back ground.
57 yrs
bikes owned ( some past, some present)
63 honda c110,Suziki 125,Honda XL 175,xr 250 r,Honda xr 500r,Honda CB750K, honda TL 250,beta alp ,Gas gas 300 Trials bike ,GasGas 280 txt trials bike,Fantic 240 professional twin shock trials bike, 06 KTM 450 exc, 2001 Suzuki Dr650. maybe others.
I competed in Observed trials for over 10 years reaching number 1 in Advanced class in Colorado ( by a fluke of luck), I have been beaten on TWO continents in Trails events!!!Raced in 2 grand prixs (Julesburg Colorado)
and ridden in 3-4 enduros,most were never held again after i rode them,Swan Fork enduro, lynx pass enduro etc...

This bike is NOT made for competition but is just plain fun. My mods so far ( i am frugal) not milk crate klr frugal but close.
13 tooth countershaft sprocket, wolfman luggage, skid plate( flatlands racing).. rim locks. 12 oclock labs rear brake light and integrated turn signals. next mods cr bend bars with risers, and highway dirtbikes bark busters with maier handguards.

This bike is so fun to ride. I have been able to keep up with some friends on ktm530s...ok well by kept up, I mean after 2-3 miles they wait for me for under 3 minutes. On not so easy single track.
I have gotten as much as 86.9 mpg down to 60.
Valves were in spec at 600 mile check by dealer.
Stock tires seem a bit skittish on hard packed gravel roads with some loose sand but controllable.

The engine runs and sounds like a sewing machine. STEALTHY!!! less sound equals more ground. loud bikes close riding areas for us all.
Surprises so far have been the amount of engine braking on steep downhills when compared to my 450 exc. Lower center of gravity is nice.
Also was very surprised at its stability in sand with stock tires. I will be putting a pirelli mt 43 on rear when I wear stock one out!

Vibration on highway has not been problematic for me on the limited amount of road riding i have done .
Valves were in spec at first 600 mile check. I also cleaned the discs well before proper braking in of them.
One word sums it up for me FUN!!! Mileage has been as much as 86 mpg down to 60.

heres a few pics of mine, i hope you enjoy yours !!! thanks for all the info i have found on this thread!

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=348508
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=489958 Sunday worship, a strap-on, and Does this water taste funny?

jjustj screwed with this post 06-10-2013 at 08:00 PM
jjustj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 07:52 PM   #4965
mmanniko
Adventurer

Oddometer: 26
Nice plate, glad you're enjoying it!

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
mmanniko is offline   Reply With Quote