Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-10-2013, 07:55 PM   #4966
TNC
Candyass Camper

Oddometer: 4,515
Hey, jj...those indian ruins are not too far from Bluff, UT if I remember correctly...right? Lots of good riding that doesn't get much coverage for that area.
TNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 08:12 PM   #4967
jjustj
cum petris et choris

Oddometer: 5,345
yes near bluff!

some nice riding down that way. Moki dugway, goosenecks state park, butler wash, comb wash etc!

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=348508
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=489958 Sunday worship, a strap-on, and Does this water taste funny?
jjustj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 05:00 AM   #4968
SugarDust
Kulia i ka nu'u

Oddometer: 825
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjustj View Post
a bit of my back ground.
57 yrs
bikes owned ( some past, some present)
63 honda c110,Suziki 125,Honda XL 175,xr 250 r,Honda xr 500r,Honda CB750K, honda TL 250,beta alp ,Gas gas 300 Trials bike ,GasGas 280 txt trials bike,Fantic 240 professional twin shock trials bike, 06 KTM 450 exc, 2001 Suzuki Dr650. maybe others.
I competed in Observed trials for over 10 years reaching number 1 in Advanced class in Colorado ( by a fluke of luck), I have been beaten on TWO continents in Trails events!!!Raced in 2 grand prixs (Julesburg Colorado)
and ridden in 3-4 enduros,most were never held again after i rode them,Swan Fork enduro, lynx pass enduro etc...

This bike is NOT made for competition but is just plain fun. My mods so far ( i am frugal) not milk crate klr frugal but close.
13 tooth countershaft sprocket, wolfman luggage, skid plate( flatlands racing).. rim locks. 12 oclock labs rear brake light and integrated turn signals. next mods cr bend bars with risers, and highway dirtbikes bark busters with maier handguards.

This bike is so fun to ride. I have been able to keep up with some friends on ktm530s...ok well by kept up, I mean after 2-3 miles they wait for me for under 3 minutes. On not so easy single track.
I have gotten as much as 86.9 mpg down to 60.
Valves were in spec at 600 mile check by dealer.
Stock tires seem a bit skittish on hard packed gravel roads with some loose sand but controllable.

The engine runs and sounds like a sewing machine. STEALTHY!!! less sound equals more ground. loud bikes close riding areas for us all.
Surprises so far have been the amount of engine braking on steep downhills when compared to my 450 exc. Lower center of gravity is nice.
Also was very surprised at its stability in sand with stock tires. I will be putting a pirelli mt 43 on rear when I wear stock one out!

Vibration on highway has not been problematic for me on the limited amount of road riding i have done .
Valves were in spec at first 600 mile check. I also cleaned the discs well before proper braking in of them.
One word sums it up for me FUN!!! Mileage has been as much as 86 mpg down to 60.

heres a few pics of mine, i hope you enjoy yours !!! thanks for all the info i have found on this thread!

Hi J - Glad you like your CRF! And to all the Colorado LRP owners, we should hook up this summer and do some riding!

2013 KTM 250 XC-W
2013 Honda CRF250L
2011 BMW F650GS

SugarDust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 04:13 PM   #4969
siyeh
Lawn Nazi

Oddometer: 1,479
Quote:
Originally Posted by SugarDust View Post
Hi J - Glad you like your CRF! And to all the Colorado LRP owners, we should hook up this summer and do some riding!
Are flat landers welcome? I got three weeks to explore your state in August. Must spoon new tires on my CRF250L first.
siyeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 10:26 PM   #4970
mjs91882
Adventurer

Oddometer: 56
So I have narrowed it down to 2 bikes. This Honda CRF250L or the Yamaha XT250, both fuel injected. How does the Honda handle single tracks?? Is it to heavy for them or if I do mods can I lower the weight to be able to do them. This bike seems very solid and I se can run a quick trip on the highway which I like a lot. But if here was a way to get this to not be to heavy and able to ride single track I would be sold!!! Thank You for all your help!!!
mjs91882 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 10:41 PM   #4971
Auto-X Fil
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 533
The weight is a non-issue. If you rode a CRF and I told you it weighed 280, you'd believe me. The gearing and tires are not the best for gnarly single track, but that's easily remedied:

Put on an MT43 rear and MT21 front, with rim-locks. ($200)
Gear it down to 13/42. ($150 if you get the speedo corrector)
Handguards are always a good idea to protect controls and fingers. ($100-200)

Done. That's a great single-track ride, and it'll still do 75mph on the highway. People ride single track on the KLR and DR650 - this is hugely lighter. I ride single track on a stock LRP, and I am not a great dirt rider. If I can do it, anyone can. The above mods make it easier and more fun.
Auto-X Fil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 04:08 AM   #4972
SugarDust
Kulia i ka nu'u

Quote:
Originally Posted by siyeh View Post
Are flat landers welcome? I got three weeks to explore your state in August. Must spoon new tires on my CRF250L first.

of course

2013 KTM 250 XC-W
2013 Honda CRF250L
2011 BMW F650GS

Old 06-13-2013, 04:10 AM   #4973
SugarDust
Kulia i ka nu'u

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auto-X Fil View Post
The weight is a non-issue. If you rode a CRF and I told you it weighed 280, you'd believe me. The gearing and tires are not the best for gnarly single track, but that's easily remedied:

Put on an MT43 rear and MT21 front, with rim-locks. ($200)
Gear it down to 13/42. ($150 if you get the speedo corrector)
Handguards are always a good idea to protect controls and fingers. ($100-200)

Done. That's a great single-track ride, and it'll still do 75mph on the highway. People ride single track on the KLR and DR650 - this is hugely lighter. I ride single track on a stock LRP, and I am not a great dirt rider. If I can do it, anyone can. The above mods make it easier and more fun.

I agree with the mods (except I went the Dunlop 606 route on the tires) I ride mine on easy single track and jeep roads and its fine.

2013 KTM 250 XC-W
2013 Honda CRF250L
2011 BMW F650GS

Old 06-13-2013, 06:42 AM   #4974
Auto-X Fil
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost Rider View Post
DIY Valve adjustment for the LRP.
Well, that's the right way to do it... I discovered that it's possible to do it the quick and dirty way, if you're used to working in cramped quarters.

1) Pull the plug wire and crankcase vent hose, and stick them out of the way.
2) Unbolt the valve cover and wiggle it out of the frame.
3) Position the cams correctly, reach in there, and check the clearance from the left side of the bike.
4) Shim if needed

It's little bit more of a pain to actually get the measurements and swap shims, but a heck of a lot faster overall!
Old 06-13-2013, 01:10 PM   #4975
BlueLghtning
Riding is my passion

Oddometer: 4,841
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjs91882 View Post
So I have narrowed it down to 2 bikes. This Honda CRF250L or the Yamaha XT250, both fuel injected. How does the Honda handle single tracks?? Is it to heavy for them or if I do mods can I lower the weight to be able to do them. This bike seems very solid and I se can run a quick trip on the highway which I like a lot. But if here was a way to get this to not be to heavy and able to ride single track I would be sold!!! Thank You for all your help!!!
If the extra height of the CRF250L over the XT250 isn't a big issue for you, then the small weight difference won't be a problem. Both bikes are DS bikes and a compromise when it comes to single track, but both are very capable.

Even though CRF suspension isn't all that great, its definitely a step up from the XT suspension and single track usually isn't smooth. Like others have said, in stock form it will be gearing, tires, and other things that hinder you and not the slight weight difference between the two bikes.

The CRF is turning out to a great bike for my wife moving up from her XT225. The CRF is on the taller side for her, so that was a bit of a struggle early on, but she's picked up so much speed and confidence and she's still on the crappy stock tires and stock gearing.
Smugmug Pics - Save $5 <-- Click Here
BlueLghtning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 01:29 PM   #4976
mjs91882
Adventurer

Oddometer: 56
I want to say thank you guys!!! You all have me sold on getting the Honda CRF250L. Now I just got to find a place in NY that is selling the bike!!!
mjs91882 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 03:02 PM   #4977
SAPB
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,376
Quote:
I want to say thank you guys!!! You all have me sold on getting the Honda CRF250L. Now I just got to find a place in NY that is selling the bike!!!
Try here, (btw, it's guys and gals) or update by zipcode: http://www.cycletrader.com/Honda-Crf...=featured:desc

CRF250L Service Manual http://www.hondampe.com.au/docs/owni...F250L13_OM.pdf

SAPB screwed with this post 06-13-2013 at 03:10 PM
SAPB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 06:10 PM   #4978
Auto-X Fil
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
I had to go to Corning. They are kinda hard to find, but if you're willing to drive you can get one now, and for MSRP.
Old 06-14-2013, 02:57 PM   #4979
Lost Rider
Roadie

Oddometer: 3,123
Single track is fine on the LRP, as stated it hides it's weight well... though at the price of some clearance which can make things tough at times.

LostRider.com
Lost Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 03:58 PM   #4980
NesquikNinja
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 292
Hey guys

I need to order a new rear tire because I picked up a nail. I do mostly commuting, I like to ride light offroad, but due to riding to work I spend 90% or more of my time on pavement. As a compromise, I am looking for some 80/20 or 70/30 street/dirt tires. All the recommendations I have seen for this bike have been for more offroad biased tires...I have been fairly happy with the performance of my stock tires on road, and would like for the performance on pavement to be at least that of stock.

I have looked at possible a stock replacement, Shinko 705, Pirelli MT90....just so many options, I am having trouble.
NesquikNinja is offline   Reply With Quote