Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-14-2013, 05:28 PM   #4981
Lost Rider
Roadie

Oddometer: 3,161
Why replace tire due to nail? Just replace the tube.

Shinko 705 is hard to beat for a commuting tire, cheap, good handling and wears like iron. Similar off tarmac performance as any similar, but more expensive tires. Tourance, battlewing, anakee, etc. On the LRP it should last a long time. Air down off tarmac and don't get too crazy with it as any "street" DS tire like that can slide out when pushed.
If you keep a more knobby type tire up front you'll have a good compromise for your situation. Shinko 700 front is also a good compromise tire both on and off tarmac, but I stay away from the rear.

LostRider.com
Lost Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 05:46 PM   #4982
NesquikNinja
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 303
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost Rider View Post
Why replace tire due to nail? Just replace the tube.

Shinko 705 is hard to beat for a commuting tire, cheap, good handling and wears like iron. Similar off tarmac performance as any similar, but more expensive tires. Tourance, battlewing, anakee, etc. On the LRP it should last a long time. Air down off tarmac and don't get too crazy with it as any "street" DS tire like that can slide out when pushed.
If you keep a more knobby type tire up front you'll have a good compromise for your situation. Shinko 700 front is also a good compromise tire both on and off tarmac, but I stay away from the rear.
Funny you say that- it didnt even puncture the tube. Still holding air. I know I could still ride it. I just choose not to.
NesquikNinja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 06:39 PM   #4983
SAPB
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,449
Quote:
Originally Posted by NesquikNinja View Post
Funny you say that- it didnt even puncture the tube. Still holding air. I know I could still ride it. I just choose not to.
Still holding air after pulling the nail out? Not sure who's on here running Slime (or similar) sealant in the tube, and it seems like some of us (me, at least) have bicycles, also, and run Slime. I'll be swapping out my rear for a D606 next week, and doing the TUbliss conversion, with Slime. Front converted to TUbliss already, no problems. Slime seems to work kinda like dynabeads, as far as balancing, since the rim lock weight will throw it off. I didn't have crimp on weights on hand when I did the front, and it seemed to fix itself as far a balancing with the Slime.

CRF250L Service Manual http://www.hondampe.com.au/docs/owni...F250L13_OM.pdf
SAPB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 07:43 PM   #4984
strongbad
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 481
Quote:
That's a conservative decision and hard to fault. A nail can cut the cords and weaken the tire. Replacing the tire is certainly what the tire maker would recommend. Myself, if the tire is nearly worn out I replace; if nearly new, I patch.
strongbad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 08:57 AM   #4985
Lapchik
Tinkeritis posterboy

Oddometer: 261
Big Gun Evo R with factory heat shield.

Lapchik screwed with this post 06-15-2013 at 09:03 AM Reason: Trying to figure out embed code
Lapchik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 10:30 AM   #4986
sundey_rider
Adventurer

Oddometer: 11
Hi guys, I have another question for you. I just found out that the CRF250M (the supermoto version) can already be bought here in Switzerland - I was expecting it only next year (and this is why I got the L in the first place otherwise I would have waited). Now I am not sure what to do... I never go off-road with my L, I got the bike as a affordable and fun urban commuter. I could exchange my L for an M (losing some money in the process), but I am not sure whether it will be worth it. Once I get more street-like tires for my L (there is not much choice, alas, currently looking at Michelin Sirac), will the difference to the supermoto version with its 17" wheels and taller gearing be still significant enough to justify an exchange like that?

Thanks for your expert input!
sundey_rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 12:34 PM   #4987
SAPB
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,449
Quote:
Originally Posted by sundey_rider View Post
Hi guys, I have another question for you. I just found out that the CRF250M (the supermoto version) can already be bought here in Switzerland - I was expecting it only next year (and this is why I got the L in the first place otherwise I would have waited). Now I am not sure what to do... I never go off-road with my L, I got the bike as a affordable and fun urban commuter. I could exchange my L for an M (losing some money in the process), but I am not sure whether it will be worth it. Once I get more street-like tires for my L (there is not much choice, alas, currently looking at Michelin Sirac), will the difference to the supermoto version with its 17" wheels and taller gearing be still significant enough to justify an exchange like that?

Price of street tires probably is way less than the $ you loose on price of new bike minus trade in/sell $ of the L. Way more street tire choices for 17", as you pointed out. Just get the SM, ride both for a while, then either keep both of em, or sell the one you don't like as much............

CRF250L Service Manual http://www.hondampe.com.au/docs/owni...F250L13_OM.pdf
SAPB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 02:20 PM   #4988
p0diabl0
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 549
I really want the CRF250M to be announced for the U.S. soon. I have a deposit down on a Grom 125 but i'd much rather have the 250.
p0diabl0 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 06:29 PM   #4989
sundey_rider
Adventurer

Oddometer: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAPB View Post
Price of street tires probably is way less than the $ you loose on price of new bike minus trade in/sell $ of the L. Way more street tire choices for 17", as you pointed out. Just get the SM, ride both for a while, then either keep both of em, or sell the one you don't like as much............
Na, if I had the money I would have got a NC700X in the first place ;) I can't afford owning two bikes or getting a new one in the first place. I am just wondering whether the difference between a supormoto M and the L with street tires is really that big. Somehow I would thing not...
sundey_rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 08:52 PM   #4990
p0diabl0
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 549
Riding on the street I doubt you'll notice much, especially since the 17s aren't sized for "real" sport rubber. (110 front and 130 rear vs 120 front and 150+ rear).

I've chased supermoto bikes up a mountain just fine on a 21/18 setup on my DRZ. I was really happy to have pilot powers on 17s when i went to the track though.
p0diabl0 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 09:27 PM   #4991
NesquikNinja
Gnarly Adventurer

I was going to order the Shinko 705, but I cant get it in a 130

Old 06-15-2013, 09:30 PM   #4992
NesquikNinja
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Na, if I had the money I would have got a NC700X in the first place ;) I can't afford owning two bikes or getting a new one in the first place. I am just wondering whether the difference between a supormoto M and the L with street tires is really that big. Somehow I would thing not...
The answer is in your own perspective. To Rossi, 38 PSI and 33 PSI are night and day.

To me...well every bike I have ever owned handles the same
Old 06-16-2013, 01:56 PM   #4993
Lost Rider
Roadie

Oddometer: 3,161
Quote:
I was going to order the Shinko 705, but I cant get it in a 130

What's wrong with the 120/18? It is after all the OEM size tire for the wheel.

$67 shipped
http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com...Rear-Tire.aspx

LostRider.com
Lost Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 02:45 PM   #4994
Ed@Ford
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,485
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost Rider View Post
What's wrong with the 120/18? It is after all the OEM size tire for the wheel.

$67 shipped
http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com...Rear-Tire.aspx
I have a 130-17 705 on my MUCH HEAVIER and 2x the power KLR650 with a 21 " 705 on the front...plenty of tire for that big dog....my riding bud has just converted to 705's on his KLR....and he rides WAAAAAY faster/harder than I do....and he loves them...including on fairly loose gravel roads....just remember...avoid sand and mud on 705's
Ed@Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 02:52 PM   #4995
Ed@Ford
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,485
Quote:

I use 705's on my KLR650...I think 705's in appropriate sizes for the 21/18's on the CRF-L will amaze you....hopefully you can find them in europe at the very reasonable $$ we get them in the usa...like $120 or less for both! Could you drive to Andorra to buy them? I remember a huge duty free bike store down there....years back though (1993).....
Ed@Ford is offline   Reply With Quote