Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-25-2013, 01:46 PM   #5071
SAPB
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,451
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8lives View Post
Whatever 250 I end up with I will probably try the Kolpin fuel pack jr,it's not perfect but for the price you get 1.5 gallons when you need it and it looks like because it's flat you can pile touring junk on it,and set it aside when not using it.Anyone have any thoughts on this?Big tanks are nice but spendy.
I have had neither, but Rotopax is supposedly thicker walled plastic than Klopin. The downside is it puts the weight in the back, not such a good thing.

CRF250L Service Manual http://www.hondampe.com.au/docs/owni...F250L13_OM.pdf
SAPB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 01:49 PM   #5072
8lives
Dharma Bum

Oddometer: 1,899
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed@Ford View Post
Yup....I went to a lot of fuss when I first got my CRF to put that Kolpin on my CRF cause I was paranoid about the little tank. Haven't had a need for it. Some comments were made about their filler necks being leaky...mine hasn't leaked. But IF I get into some really long rides out west, I think Iwould go with side mount racks and keep the tank vertical instead of flat.
I wondered if it wouldn't be better to mount the Kolpin on a side rack instead.I have almost 6 gallons of fuel on the KLR and its nice if I go on a long day ride not worrying about fuel,but for the price difference of the fuel cell or tank I would prefer to save the money and go with the cell when I need it.
8lives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 01:55 PM   #5073
SAPB
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
I wondered if it wouldn't be better to mount the Kolpin on a side rack instead.I have almost 6 gallons of fuel on the KLR and its nice if I go on a long day ride not worrying about fuel,but for the price difference of the fuel cell or tank I would prefer to save the money and go with the cell when I need it.
Just sent an inquiry to http://justgastanks.com/index.php?cPath=4 See what happens.................

Old 06-25-2013, 02:02 PM   #5074
8lives
Dharma Bum

Let us know what Just Tanks says.I just contacted a guy in Sandiego,CA who makes racks and he just finished a prototype for a CRF250L tail rack,hopefully side racks to come soon he says,I use soft bags so I just need the basics with whatever Im riding,flat and hot pipe standoff.
Old 06-25-2013, 02:09 PM   #5075
SAPB
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Let us know what Just Tanks says.I just contacted a guy in Sandiego,CA who makes racks and he just finished a prototype for a CRF250L tail rack,hopefully side racks to come soon he says,I use soft bags so I just need the basics with whatever Im riding,flat and hot pipe standoff.
From lurking on the KLX forum, nobody beats Just Tanks prices. Unfortunately, the CRF is not on their radar yet. Our bike is sold out fast all over, so maybe they will wake up, and start filling the aftermarket with more stuff for our bike.

Old 06-25-2013, 02:09 PM   #5076
Wargasm
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 190
OI! is That an oldskoolsuzuki.com sweatshirt you're wearing?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckshot77 View Post

Wargasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 02:32 PM   #5077
Lost Rider
Roadie

Oddometer: 3,162
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAPB View Post
From lurking on the KLX forum, nobody beats Just Tanks prices. Unfortunately, the CRF is not on their radar yet. Our bike is sold out fast all over, so maybe they will wake up, and start filling the aftermarket with more stuff for our bike.

FYI, JustgasTanks is a distributor more than a manufacturer, the most comprehensive and helpful place to get all things tanks for sure, maybe they can send out requests to more makers if they are seeing a lot of interest for the LRP, but contacting manufacturers direct should do more good to get us a proper ADV sized tank. Nice shop too, they helped me get some obscure tank parts in a pinch before the Baja 1000.

Until then, MSR Dromedary bags are my method of choice to carry extra fuel when needed.

LostRider.com
Lost Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 02:49 PM   #5078
SAPB
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Inquiry answer said, "Yes, this should be out in a month or so from IMS".

Old 06-25-2013, 03:23 PM   #5079
Ed@Ford
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,491
Kolpin vs Rotopax trivia:

Both are very thick plastic because they seal tight (have no vapor vent), and when gas is hot and shaken around, the light ends in the gas vaporize and create pressure....as much as 10 or 20 psi.

The mounting systems are similar but not interchangeable. The kolpin is plastic, Rotopax is aluminum and is robust and $$$. The bolt of the kolpin is 6mm, the rotopax is 5/16". The racetrack shaped hole of the rotopax is bigger than kolpin. I called the rotopax folks and got this info. I like the tool/emergency "box" rotopax makes....the lady at rotopax said it would fit over the kolpin mount but it would be sloppy fit....no problem if horizontal, but not vertical. I asked about layering a 1.5g kolpin on top of their emergency pack with the kolpin mount....she said I'd have to create an extender for the hold down, and if it tightened down well, she expected no problem.....but combining them any other way could be trouble.

In my case I had a kolpin that I used on my 2006 Husky TE610 with no issues because it took 3 years for the aftermarket folks to make a big tank for it....and it ended up crappy. Those same folks are developing a CRF tank.....and after having the tank off my crf to do the valves, and seeing how tight everything is on that tank installation.....I will say no thanks to an aftermarket gas tank for it.
Ed@Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 03:52 PM   #5080
SAPB
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed@Ford View Post
Kolpin vs Rotopax trivia:

Both are very thick plastic because they seal tight (have no vapor vent), and when gas is hot and shaken around, the light ends in the gas vaporize and create pressure....as much as 10 or 20 psi.

The mounting systems are similar but not interchangeable. The kolpin is plastic, Rotopax is aluminum and is robust and $$$. The bolt of the kolpin is 6mm, the rotopax is 5/16". The racetrack shaped hole of the rotopax is bigger than kolpin. I called the rotopax folks and got this info. I like the tool/emergency "box" rotopax makes....the lady at rotopax said it would fit over the kolpin mount but it would be sloppy fit....no problem if horizontal, but not vertical. I asked about layering a 1.5g kolpin on top of their emergency pack with the kolpin mount....she said I'd have to create an extender for the hold down, and if it tightened down well, she expected no problem.....but combining them any other way could be trouble.

In my case I had a kolpin that I used on my 2006 Husky TE610 with no issues because it took 3 years for the aftermarket folks to make a big tank for it....and it ended up crappy. Those same folks are developing a CRF tank.....and after having the tank off my crf to do the valves, and seeing how tight everything is on that tank installation.....I will say no thanks to an aftermarket gas tank for it.
Ed, thanks for the insight. I think it is Tony who is waiting for his pre-ordered tank, see what he posts. Filling up has not been a problem, just thinking about future longer rides.

Old 06-26-2013, 08:01 AM   #5081
Lapchik
Tinkeritis posterboy

Oddometer: 261
Quote:
Whatever 250 I end up with I will probably try the Kolpin fuel pack jr,it's not perfect but for the price you get 1.5 gallons when you need it and it looks like because it's flat you can pile touring junk on it,and set it aside when not using it.Anyone have any thoughts on this?Big tanks are nice but spendy.
I've never had any problems with my rotopax, they have about 20000 miles on them between the LRP and the Versys

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J6iXt...Ra3wXR&index=4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ApoHC_FFD0A
Lapchik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 08:23 AM   #5082
8lives
Dharma Bum

Thanks all for the good info on Kolpin and Rotopax,I had forgotten all about Rotopax,fuel is alway a issue for all of us,its not hard to wander around 100 miles and while there is gas along the way there are times when it's nice to go 200 miles or more and not think about it,my DR350 had a bigger tank good for 175 miles and it worked well,but as stated before I don't need the range all the time so an extra 1.5 gals for less than 100$ is just right.For now I'm the Tanker on the trail with the KLR.
Old 06-26-2013, 09:08 AM   #5083
G19Tony
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 409
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAPB View Post
Ed, thanks for the insight. I think it is Tony who is waiting for his pre-ordered tank, see what he posts. Filling up has not been a problem, just thinking about future longer rides.
Another 3-4 weeks is the last I heard. I'm not in a hurry, I want it to be right the first time. I had good luck with the IMS tank on my KLR250. I'm setting the bike up for touring. I have the Wolfman side racks with Rotopax adapters. I recently received the 2 gal fuel and water containers. With the new tank, I'll have 5 gallons aboard. I don't want to have to sweat fuel. I have that Rotopax storage container too. It will fit on the Manracks perfectly, and I can stack stuff on it. I'm getting ready for a ride with my brother next month I'll get pictures of the setup on here soon.

Nothing's too cruel if it's funny enough.

G19Tony screwed with this post 06-26-2013 at 09:13 AM
G19Tony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 10:41 AM   #5084
SAPB
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by G19Tony View Post
Another 3-4 weeks is the last I heard. I'm not in a hurry, I want it to be right the first time. I had good luck with the IMS tank on my KLR250. I'm setting the bike up for touring. I have the Wolfman side racks with Rotopax adapters. I recently received the 2 gal fuel and water containers. With the new tank, I'll have 5 gallons aboard. I don't want to have to sweat fuel. I have that Rotopax storage container too. It will fit on the Manracks perfectly, and I can stack stuff on it. I'm getting ready for a ride with my brother next month I'll get pictures of the setup on here soon.
Gas at about 6.2 lbs per gallon, plus the weight of the Rotopax. I know on the rear rack it sticks out further, and the side racks are probably just slightly back from were a passenger's weight would be. I've not ridden two up on the CRF, but on any bike, it's going to make the front feel light. Still better than running out in the boonies. Not sure what the minimum capacity is recommended for something like the TAT. I've figured I'm good for maybe 35 miles after the fuel thing starts blinking. That's conservative for around town riding. I reset the trip A to zero when the blinking starts. Of course, your not going to get very good mileage in 2nd gear.

Old 06-26-2013, 09:32 PM   #5085
Buckshot77
Adventurer

Oddometer: 42
Quote:
Your not helping my decision to go buy a new bike,you may hear from my wife when she finds out you can jump these things,she was never happy with my Evil Kenevil antics on my YZ250 cause I wipe out.
Lol,they can handle it.
Listen to that smack.
http://youtu.be/5VkyTOmYP8w
Buckshot77 is offline   Reply With Quote