Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-05-2013, 09:47 PM   #5206
G19Tony
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 409
I took the LRP to Toroweap yesterday. 220 miles total. The bike worked admirably.

Nothing's too cruel if it's funny enough.
G19Tony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 12:24 PM   #5207
Turk
'Bab Man

Oddometer: 112
lol....300km ride home today with serious headwind! Rarely saw 6th on open stretches and up hill was in 4th! I got about 100kms out of the first tank
Turk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 04:21 PM   #5208
DOUBLE-O G
Smooth Operator

Oddometer: 2,472
I haven't pulled the trigger yet. There are 2 available in my area so I think I have a bit of time.

Has anyone tried more road oriented tires on the bike? Anyone commutes to work on the little CRF250L?
Old 07-06-2013, 04:46 PM   #5209
siyeh
Lawn Nazi

Oddometer: 1,555
Quote:
Originally Posted by gore-tx View Post
Anyone commutes to work on the little CRF250L?
I do every day. But my commute is only 12 miles round trip. With only one stop sign. (and I always run it)
siyeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 05:06 PM   #5210
greg1
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 139
Just to keep this going....

Firstly, come on guys, I've been through 200+ pages of this thread and there are nowhere near enough pictures. COME ON! MOAR....

Second, as I said above, I've got a deposit on one, but I'm still concerned about it hauling my 230lbs around. Add on some gear and I'm probably pushing 250lbs. I'm pretty sure the bike will be capable enough, and I sat on a XR(?)650 dual purpose today and found it waaay too tall (and expensive).

Any of you guys heavy as me or heavier? How do you like the bike?

I'm 5'11, so I am over weight, and this will give me incentive to lose weight (most expensive motivation ever). But I'd just like some positive word. Or someone to slap me and tell me to get something bigger?

Thanks guys.
greg1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 06:24 PM   #5211
siyeh
Lawn Nazi

Oddometer: 1,555
Quote:
Originally Posted by greg1 View Post

Firstly, come on guys, I've been through 200+ pages of this thread and there are nowhere near enough pictures. COME ON! MOAR...
Well, I go 200# so prolly 220# with riding gear. I just strapped 25# of camping gear on back and did 1069 miles in three days. Over 500 miles were dirt and mud. The bike did just fine. YMMV

siyeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 08:27 PM   #5212
gnath9
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 231
Quote:
I'm 5'11, so I am over weight, and this will give me incentive to lose weight (most expensive motivation ever). But I'd just like some positive word. Or someone to slap me and tell me to get something bigger?

Thanks guys.
I have mine set up as more of a single track or MX bike. I bought the bike to chase my boy around the trails on his little CRF80F that he will soon out grow and will be upgraded to a CRF150R/X ... still undecided and really depends on how he evolves .... anyway I weigh 195lbs and my boy is 120+lbs and my bike has no problems at all when it comes to us riding around town 2 up. I also have a ton of mods .....
gnath9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 08:40 PM   #5213
8lives
Dharma Bum

Oddometer: 1,899
Hey thanks Siyeh that's the kinda stuff I need to see and hear,I have been watching the 250's of the big 3 and the WR price tag is too high,the LRP and the green 1 are more my range but the LRP's around here are spoken for,sell my KLR and see what's available,it's nice to know what people are doing.
8lives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 08:57 PM   #5214
Infidel707
Adventurer

Oddometer: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by xjon View Post
anyone has taken their lrp to sand dunes? Thinking about taking mine out to Oceano dunes in Pismo Beach CA. wondering about power issues or paddle tires with this ride.

thanks
I've only played around in the ohv area up in Samoa. Been wanting to go back but waiting til I get some health insurance, lol. As long as you hold your gears fully you'll do fine with the stock tires. As soon as you dip into low rpm get ready to eat some sand, done it twice myself; once a car was on the freakin atv road and had to stop quick, the other I went high up on a burm and the peg dug in. Though I hear that is all standard expectations for sand. Oh and the flags are hard to use if your riding to the location, snapped one and had to put it in my camelback, though that seems to work better than on the holder, heh.
Infidel707 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 09:54 PM   #5215
8lives
Dharma Bum

Oddometer: 1,899
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infidel707 View Post
I've only played around in the ohv area up in Samoa. Been wanting to go back but waiting til I get some health insurance, lol. As long as you hold your gears fully you'll do fine with the stock tires. As soon as you dip into low rpm get ready to eat some sand, done it twice myself; once a car was on the freakin atv road and had to stop quick, the other I went high up on a burm and the peg dug in. Though I hear that is all standard expectations for sand. Oh and the flags are hard to use if your riding to the location, snapped one and had to put it in my camelback, though that seems to work better than on the holder, heh.
I know of the Samoa you speak of,if its near Manila and Arcata?
8lives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 10:50 PM   #5216
Wargasm
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 190
Don't worry about it, I weigh in at 240lb & 6'1", the bike is severely undersprung and under dampened, meaning the suspension is gettign full travel and bottoming out on a regular basis. I push it really hard though , most likely way beyond it's design limits, and it is holding up really well. If it's your first bike and or first off road experience (it's mine) then it's a good bike to learn on, I'm a quick learner and have been driving street bikes for 20 years so had all the throttle/clutch control and all that handled and used this to learn dirt, and it has served well. I'm satisfied with it, but keep in mind, it's a budget bike, fire roads, light trails and street riding are it's forte, pushing it in anyway offroad will expose it's weaknesses very quickly. If you are dirt experienced already, get a higher quality bike with more aftermarket support, if you are new to offroad/motorcycles this is a great bike for learning.

Quote:

Firstly, come on guys, I've been through 200+ pages of this thread and there are nowhere near enough pictures. COME ON! MOAR....

Second, as I said above, I've got a deposit on one, but I'm still concerned about it hauling my 230lbs around. Add on some gear and I'm probably pushing 250lbs. I'm pretty sure the bike will be capable enough, and I sat on a XR(?)650 dual purpose today and found it waaay too tall (and expensive).

Any of you guys heavy as me or heavier? How do you like the bike?

Thanks guys.
Wargasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 03:19 AM   #5217
kdennan
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 621
I might join the club

Hey there,
I live over in the BMW Sertao thread and also currently have a new XR650L. I made a mistake I think in buying the XR and really should have gotten the new CRF. So I'm going to talk with my dealer Monday and see what we can come up with.
I've been reading a bunch and it seems like it's a true Honda in that I won't be looking into making all kinds of mods to make it reliable and work right.
What are the things/issues I need to address immediately to make it dirt worthy?
I read suspension is big. What is the best upgrade?
Thanks
Old 07-07-2013, 07:43 AM   #5218
tilliejacques
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 324
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdennan View Post
What are the things/issues I need to address immediately to make it dirt worthy?

Thanks
handguards of some sort. lots of options and price points if you read through the thread.

a real skid plate. get one like the Ricochet (shown here on Lost's LRP) that protects the water pump. the Flatland skid plate that I have does not.

and ok if you ride around rocks, get a radiator guard like the Flatland (maybe others have come out by now but Flatland is good) which can also be seen in Lost's post that I referenced.

lots of other stuff that can be done (bar risers are a cheap alternative to new bars and can really save your back, a rack for a gas can or some such depending on how far you'll be from stations, etc) but protecting your hands so you can ride home and the engine so you can ride home are pretty important

cheers
Old 07-07-2013, 08:23 AM   #5219
kdennan
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 621
Thanks!
How about suspension? Back east we have Factory Connection, but I don't know if they have anything for this bike yet or if they will. Is there a company like Race Tech offering upgrades? That would be big for me because I am a decent woods rider. I have Cycra Probends and I know Ricochet stuff.
Probably will do bar risers with Renthal bars.
Old 07-07-2013, 08:37 AM   #5220
trainman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 394
I added those items to my bike as well as a few others items, folding shifter, rear rack, handlebar risers, and a Koplin fuel cell for longer rides when needed. I personally did not due any suspension upgrades, or performance upgrades. These upgrades for me just don't do it for me, as it's easier to have other bikes that already come with those upgrades incorporated into the bike. I can't really see having the 650 Sertao and the XR650L at the same time, but the Sertao is much better on the road and the XR650L much better off road. The XR650L can be a monster at times so I can see you wanting to go with the CRF250L, it's just a fun bike to ride. One last change I would make on the bike is go down one tooth on the countershaft sprocket it will make a big difference off road.

John
trainman is online now   Reply With Quote