Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-26-2013, 06:13 AM   #5536
SAPB
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,451
Quote:
Originally Posted by Auto-X Fil View Post
You'll have to remove the chain guard. And then -I doubt it. You'd need a chain 1 link longer to get the axle in the factory position. Do you have 0.625" of adjustment left with 14/40? You'll need that much, plus more to actually get the chain on the sprocket.

12/42 does work - I run that combo on one bike, and it gives basically the same ratio as the 13/45 combo. But, you can keep your stock chain, leave the chain guard on, and it puts the axle in the stock position. The 12 might result in a little more chain wear... but if the chain wears out too fast for your liking, you can go 13/45 (one link longer chain) or even 14/48 (two links longer) at that point.

13/45 with a longer chain is what I'll do on mine when the chain wears out. I can easily swap it to a 14t front for more all-around use, or 45/15 to get back the ability to cruise 75mph+ on the freeway.
45/15=3, is really close to 40/13=3.07. I like the idea of swapping the front, since it takes so little time, even figuring in chain adjustment. Wondering if with a 45 rear, you could use the same length chain with all those 13, 14, and 15 fronts, and still be able to have the correct slack.

CRF250L Service Manual http://www.hondampe.com.au/docs/owni...F250L13_OM.pdf
SAPB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 06:30 AM   #5537
Lapchik
Tinkeritis posterboy

Oddometer: 261
Quote:
Originally Posted by trainman View Post
Could someone tell me the proper way to change the countershaft sprocket. I ordered a 13t and want to change it from my stock sprocket. I guess what I really need to know is do I need someone to stand on the rear brake to get the sprocket nut loose and then when I re-tighten it. Do I put the bike in gear, or not, that is do I want pressure to be on the transmission or not. This is want happens when you are 68 and can't remember a dam thing. Any help on this matter would be appreciated, thanks.

John
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6MBDSUu-utk

Lapchik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 07:07 AM   #5538
Auto-X Fil
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 613
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAPB View Post
45/15=3, is really close to 40/13=3.07. I like the idea of swapping the front, since it takes so little time, even figuring in chain adjustment. Wondering if with a 45 rear, you could use the same length chain with all those 13, 14, and 15 fronts, and still be able to have the correct slack.
On all three of our bikes, there's enough room to run two extra teeth. 15/45 with a +1 chain is the same as 13/43 with a stock chain, which seems to work well for lots of people. So, in a word, yes, it'll work.
Auto-X Fil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 07:14 AM   #5539
lloydpb
Adventurer

Oddometer: 44
Will a 15T front fit with the standard rear and chain?

Would help when there is a lot of tarmac to cover,
Thanks
Lloyd.
lloydpb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 07:23 AM   #5540
tilliejacques
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 324
Quote:
Originally Posted by PadrePoint View Post
I did a 200+ mile ride today for the purpose of a couple of brief meetings. I knew the possibility of thunderstorms this afternoon, but my weather app made it look as though my choice to ride (instead of using a car) was a reasonable gamble. At least, I figured I wouldn't have rain prior to my meetings... and, if I run into some rain after my meetings, I'll be heading home... "so-what-if-I-get-a-little-wet". For the return run (90 miles) rain from the west looked on my radar app to be moving toward me at a rate that would provide just enough time for a dry run home (you know, the two trains going different speeds toward each other... where will they collide?) The storm picked up some speed, I guess, 'cause even with me doing my planned 55 and 65 mph I had my first opportunity of riding in the rain the last 10 miles... a rather driving rain... a good soaking.

But, it was worth it. I had a good laugh at myself... the cold and wet made my hot shower feel SO much better... it seemed like some kind of motorcycle-rider-initiation... and, it was kinda fun... just like the other 5,500 miles I've ridden since purchasing my CRF250L on March 29.

Thanks to the various commentaries of this forum I've gotten to know much more about this whole motorcycle thing (I'm trying to NOT learn everything through experience.) Last week I even purchased the stuff needed for another new adventure still to come my way when I decide to replace my OEM rear tire (still a few mm on the center blocks that I might as well make use of.) I also ordered some oil filters today... knowing that changing my own oil soon will be yet another new adventure for me. I'm good with the typical changing of oil at 5,000 miles with my car (at a dealership service department, however) but I'll try taking task this on myself with my motorcycle. The apparently typical tire replacement rate with motorcycles caught me a bit since I'm used to thinking of tire wear in terms of my car... 70K to 100K between changes. Ah, well... I've enjoyed all of the various adjustments and adventures that have come along with my recent purchase.

(This is also my first adventure of "posting" on this forum.... whoo hoo!)
with the point of trying NOT to learn everything through experience , waterproof-ness of some sort is excellent for commuting: One-piece suit from Aerostich or Olympia (or other vendors), or jacket/pants that are a pain for commuting (YMMV) but are easier for non-commute rides.

enjoy your cool bike!
Old 07-26-2013, 07:27 AM   #5541
Auto-X Fil
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 613
Quote:
Originally Posted by lloydpb View Post
Will a 15T front fit with the standard rear and chain?

Would help when there is a lot of tarmac to cover,
Thanks
Lloyd.

I think so, but I haven't tried yet. See here:

http://advrider.com/forums/showpost....postcount=4691

Also, 15/40 won't boost top speed at all. In fact, you'll end up being faster in 5th gear. I think 15/40 might make 6th kinda useless unless you're going downhill, or just want to cruise at 65mph at lower revs. Now, with a bunch of power mods... you might be on to something. But without a 305 jug, cam, programmer, and exhaust, you won't see me gearing a LRP over 14/40.
Auto-X Fil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 08:50 AM   #5542
SAPB
Beastly Adventurer

Ramz' site

Just checked on Ramz site, haven't been there in a while. Info on seal doctor, might be something for the tool kit, even preventative maintenance, before you get a leak. Knowing about the old 35mm negative fix, but like Ramz, I've gone digital also. http://www.rickramsey.net/CRF250Lmods.htm#sealdoctor

Old 07-26-2013, 09:12 AM   #5543
byron555
Lame Duck Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,122
Greetings From Portage

Quote:
Originally Posted by PadrePoint View Post
I did a 200+ mile ride today for the purpose of a couple of brief meetings. I knew the possibility of thunderstorms this afternoon, but my weather app made it look as though my choice to ride (instead of using a car) was a reasonable gamble. At least, I figured I wouldn't have rain prior to my meetings... and, if I run into some rain after my meetings, I'll be heading home... "so-what-if-I-get-a-little-wet". For the return run (90 miles) rain from the west looked on my radar app to be moving toward me at a rate that would provide just enough time for a dry run home (you know, the two trains going different speeds toward each other... where will they collide?) The storm picked up some speed, I guess, 'cause even with me doing my planned 55 and 65 mph I had my first opportunity of riding in the rain the last 10 miles... a rather driving rain... a good soaking.

But, it was worth it. I had a good laugh at myself... the cold and wet made my hot shower feel SO much better... it seemed like some kind of motorcycle-rider-initiation... and, it was kinda fun... just like the other 5,500 miles I've ridden since purchasing my CRF250L on March 29.

Thanks to the various commentaries of this forum I've gotten to know much more about this whole motorcycle thing (I'm trying to NOT learn everything through experience.) Last week I even purchased the stuff needed for another new adventure still to come my way when I decide to replace my OEM rear tire (still a few mm on the center blocks that I might as well make use of.) I also ordered some oil filters today... knowing that changing my own oil soon will be yet another new adventure for me. I'm good with the typical changing of oil at 5,000 miles with my car (at a dealership service department, however) but I'll try taking task this on myself with my motorcycle. The apparently typical tire replacement rate with motorcycles caught me a bit since I'm used to thinking of tire wear in terms of my car... 70K to 100K between changes. Ah, well... I've enjoyed all of the various adjustments and adventures that have come along with my recent purchase.

(This is also my first adventure of "posting" on this forum.... whoo hoo!)
Welcome to the world of dual sport! I'm 70 miles South of you "Where the North Begins" in Portage. I ride a WR250r though... Doing the tire change yourself? The first several are a pain. Get an extra tube and irons, watch youtube videos several times before attempting, and be ready to swear like a long shore man.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=997633
byron555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 03:56 PM   #5544
SAPB
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BygDaddee View Post
Best site to answer all your gearing, chain length, revs, top speed questions

http://www.gearingcommander.com/
Thanks! I saw this before, either on this thread, of some other, bookmarked it, then my laptop got toasted. Much good info here.

Old 07-26-2013, 08:52 PM   #5545
Semodirt
n00b

Oddometer: 5
Crf250l - needs a new home

A 2013 crf250l with 800 miles, clean and unscratched, with 13 tooth, skid plate, rear rack and a hour meter /tach. Call 573-382-9035 to discuss
Semodirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 09:25 PM   #5546
bigborexx
Shut up and ride

Oddometer: 28
Big bore kit 305? Anyone do it need ti find out

Any real world infoi got slip on and ejk air box mod also. Need the 305 kit any info would be awesome
bigborexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 09:58 PM   #5547
trainman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 394
Thanks, Lapchik, for the video on the sprocket change.

John
trainman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 03:51 AM   #5548
SAPB
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigborexx View Post
Any real world infoi got slip on and ejk air box mod also. Need the 305 kit any info would be awesome
http://www.rickramsey.net/CRF250Lbigbore.htm

Old 07-27-2013, 07:32 AM   #5549
Turk
'Bab Man

Oddometer: 112
I just removed the spark arrestor from my FMF PC4 (out of curiosity) after a fair bit of fiddling about as it was properly lodged in there. Once out I noticed that there was a fair bit of steel wool built up on the inside. I know the purpose of this part is for this exact reason, but for 2400kms this seems excessive?

Turk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 07:54 AM   #5550
Ed@Ford
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,491
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turk View Post
I just removed the spark arrestor from my FMF PC4 (out of curiosity) after a fair bit of fiddling about as it was properly lodged in there. Once out I noticed that there was a fair bit of steel wool built up on the inside. I know the purpose of this part is for this exact reason, but for 2400kms this seems excessive?

I am assuming the muffler is designed as a perforated tube down the middle with lotsa holes in it, with the "can" around the outside packed with a sound absorbing material (steel wool in this case). Steel wool is generally considered the lowest temperature, lowest cost "packing" material. Also, it rusts....and exhaust gas contains lotsa water. Other choices are glass wool, which is next in temperature resistance, and "rock" wool or mineral wool the highest temperature resistance. How tightly packed the "wool" is affects how quiet it will be....loosely packed generally more sound absorbing, but lest durable. I further assume FMF sells materials to repack the muffler. Such designs require occasional rebuilding (re-stuffing). So much for how these mufflers are designed....the bit of steel wool looks like a wad of steel wool that was left loose in the muffler during a sloppy packing job, rather than dislodged during usage. I'd email FMF and see what they think. Again...all my opinion.
Ed@Ford is offline   Reply With Quote