Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-27-2013, 10:23 AM   #5551
Turk
'Bab Man

Oddometer: 96
Hi Ed, thanks for your feedback.

I believe the FMF can be repacked.

The wool was clumped around the outer part in a circular manor, as if individual pieces had broken loose and collected there. However I may be wrong and it could just be one large clump that lodged in there like that.

I will email FMF to see what they have to say.

Cheers
Turk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 10:31 AM   #5552
Ed@Ford
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,313
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turk View Post
Hi Ed, thanks for your feedback.

I believe the FMF can be repacked.

The wool was clumped around the outer part in a circular manor, as if individual pieces had broken loose and collected there. However I may be wrong and it could just be one large clump that lodged in there like that.

I will email FMF to see what they have to say.

Cheers
Regardless, the spark arrestor screen caught it. I'll bet it runs a little better without that "pillow" clogging up a huge portion of the screen!!
Ed@Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 10:53 AM   #5553
sanjoh
Purveyor of Light

Oddometer: 4,293
Any news on an aftermarket oversize tank for the CRFL?

IMS was working on one a few months back, haven't seen it available.
sanjoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 07:09 PM   #5554
Wargasm
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed@Ford View Post
I am assuming the muffler is designed as a perforated tube down the middle with lotsa holes in it, with the "can" around the outside packed with a sound absorbing material (steel wool in this case). Steel wool is generally considered the lowest temperature, lowest cost "packing" material. Also, it rusts....and exhaust gas contains lotsa water. Other choices are glass wool, which is next in temperature resistance, and "rock" wool or mineral wool the highest temperature resistance. How tightly packed the "wool" is affects how quiet it will be....loosely packed generally more sound absorbing, but lest durable. I further assume FMF sells materials to repack the muffler. Such designs require occasional rebuilding (re-stuffing). So much for how these mufflers are designed....the bit of steel wool looks like a wad of steel wool that was left loose in the muffler during a sloppy packing job, rather than dislodged during usage. I'd email FMF and see what they think. Again...all my opinion.
Here's a hot tip, find a Refractory company in your area, they specialize in high temperature brickwork, castable compounds and insulation. Ask if they'll sell you some ceramic wool, repack your muffler with this. Heavy duty stuff will last longer than the bike and will be good at keeping the outside of the muffler cool. Easy to work with too, but wear gloves as it will itch like a MoFo. Used to be a refractory mason so I gots some first hand experience with it.
Wargasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 08:06 PM   #5555
Ed@Ford
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wargasm View Post
Here's a hot tip, find a Refractory company in your area, they specialize in high temperature brickwork, castable compounds and insulation. Ask if they'll sell you some ceramic wool, repack your muffler with this. Heavy duty stuff will last longer than the bike and will be good at keeping the outside of the muffler cool. Easy to work with too, but wear gloves as it will itch like a MoFo. Used to be a refractory mason so I gots some first hand experience with it.
I believe it is often called "rock wool". I've seen it here in MI where it is used as insulation in making kilns to fire pottery, or in the ovens that heat glass for glass blowing and decorative glass making. But also Rocky Mt ATV & Motorcycle may have sold repacking kits with it
Old 07-28-2013, 07:43 AM   #5556
callison
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 119
Here's a link to the kit FMF sells on their site:

http://www.fmfracing.com/Products/MX/601
Old 07-28-2013, 09:48 AM   #5557
Wargasm
Gnarly Adventurer

yeah rock wool is exactly what the name implies, minerals heated to melted temps and spun into wool. I've used Kaowool too but the stuff I was thinking about was much tougher, we lined a whole Visbreaker with it and it's still in there five years later. There's varying strengths in it.
Old 07-28-2013, 08:30 PM   #5558
danptobin
Adventurer

Oddometer: 39
new noise

Took the lil CRF on a 160mi ride more then half highway yesterday now it just doesnt sound the same almost a buzz from the motor at speed. This happen to anyone else?
danptobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 06:31 AM   #5559
Ed@Ford
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by danptobin View Post
Took the lil CRF on a 160mi ride more then half highway yesterday now it just doesnt sound the same almost a buzz from the motor at speed. This happen to anyone else?
I have noticed this on occasion with mine. It was chain noise. The spec in the owners manual...IN MY OPINION is too tight if set with no rider on it...if set with weight on the seat it's better....but since this bike is so short on power, at speed, on and off the power, chain slop is quite noticeable. This noise is noticeable IN MY OPINION because the bike is so quiet. If you have a 13T sprocket without the rubber on it like the stock 14T,there will be more chain noise. (The rubber is to reduce noise). Also look for sprocket misalignment and side wear on the teeth.
FORGOT TO ADD: Do you have an aluminum aftermarket bash plate? They buzz as bolts loosen up....and help reflect/amplify engine noise

Ed@Ford screwed with this post 07-29-2013 at 06:52 AM
Old 07-29-2013, 06:52 AM   #5560
Kray
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 199
New CRF250L owner. Picked her up last week after a solid test ride. Had to have her. Only thing I've done is remove the snorkel and backfire screen from the filter. This helped smooth out higher-speed driving a lot. I will be commuting 25 miles per day on the CRF and using it as my weekend toy.

Kray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 07:54 AM   #5561
SAPB
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,138
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed@Ford View Post
I have noticed this on occasion with mine. It was chain noise. The spec in the owners manual...IN MY OPINION is too tight if set with no rider on it...if set with weight on the seat it's better....but since this bike is so short on power, at speed, on and off the power, chain slop is quite noticeable. This noise is noticeable IN MY OPINION because the bike is so quiet. If you have a 13T sprocket without the rubber on it like the stock 14T,there will be more chain noise. (The rubber is to reduce noise). Also look for sprocket misalignment and side wear on the teeth.
FORGOT TO ADD: Do you have an aluminum aftermarket bash plate? They buzz as bolts loosen up....and help reflect/amplify engine noise
Yeah, the chain if adjusted were you think it's good, will be wrong when you get on. If you can be someplace with no traffic, pull the clutch, and hit the kill switch, and see if the noise stops. Loose chain is better than tight, you'll toast the output shaft bearing.

"I think I spent the dog food money, but he'll love me just the same. And if you really love me baby, you'll help me scrape the mucus off my brain". Ween
SAPB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 07:58 AM   #5562
8lives
Runnin on wonder

Oddometer: 1,410
I like to adjust with me and all my junk on board,if I cant reach down while I'm sitting on the seat I use a coat hanger to pull on the chain to make sure its loose enough,better to loose than to tight.
1986 XT350 For going places the Wee shouldn't be!
8lives smugmug
8lives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 08:02 AM   #5563
SAPB
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,138
Mcss

Anybody getting ready to get a new tire(s), 40% off Dunlop, 31% off Metzler. Plus 5% off of that, using those codes. Expires 7/31 11:59. http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com...vid=1160297728

"I think I spent the dog food money, but he'll love me just the same. And if you really love me baby, you'll help me scrape the mucus off my brain". Ween
SAPB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 08:09 AM   #5564
Wargasm
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by danptobin View Post
If you've got a skid plate then it's most likely that.
Old 07-29-2013, 08:10 AM   #5565
Ed@Ford
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAPB View Post
Anybody getting ready to get a new tire(s), 40% off Dunlop, 31% off Metzler. Plus 5% off of that, using those codes. Expires 7/31 11:59. http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com...vid=1160297728
Would be decent if you wanted D606's