Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-27-2013, 03:01 PM   #6286
gvcrt
Adventurer

Oddometer: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolty View Post
I didn't think that you were ignoring me, not everyone lives with the forum window open the whole time.

Sez me replying to you within 5 mins!

I thought it was Rooley moor. did you get your bike from Rochdale Honda?

(I got a tapatalk notification that you'd quoted my post which is how I replied so quickly)
Got it from hunts honda Manchester . I need to fit a bash plate and carrier then i will be ready to go, I've not done any green lanes yet but that is the intension
gvcrt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 03:23 PM   #6287
Bolty
Señor Member

Oddometer: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by gvcrt View Post
Got it from hunts honda Manchester . I need to fit a bash plate and carrier then i will be ready to go, I've not done any green lanes yet but that is the intension
I've not done any green lanes myself on it as yet, I used to do a few but it was 18 years ago and most of the places I used to go are now off limits, But I'm looking forward to having another go at some point.

I've just done my first measured MPG fill up but I only got 75 from it so for this tank of fuel I'm going to ride it a bit steadier and see if I can get 100mpg (just to see if I can, I can't imagine it'll be much fun just bimbling though)

Get yourself some of them engine covers while you're at it, this'll be one of the first places to get it when you drop it!
Old 09-27-2013, 08:42 PM   #6288
Bag-Of-Hammers
Adventurer

Oddometer: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chitown Dave View Post
Sorry,

I posted wrong video.

Here is the correct video

Silva

Best video on the internet.
Bag-Of-Hammers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 01:30 PM   #6289
BoldNewGraphics
Adventurer

Oddometer: 13
Does anyone have a torque value on the lower fork clamp fasteners?
Old 09-28-2013, 04:10 PM   #6290
streaks77
Adventurer

Oddometer: 26
Big Bore Install complete!

Just finished my big bore install and took it out for a spin... man, oh man, does she have a little more pep now! Ok, a lot more, truth be told.

As for the install itself, let me just say that a service manual was absolutely mandatory. Even with the manual, it was still a chore for a lay(m) mechanic like myself. I feel like the amount of effort that I put in doing this one install could have probably accomplished five if I had even a smidgeon of talent in that department.

Kit came quickly, EJK came back from Dobeck reprogrammed a few days later and that's all she wrote.

Only about 10 miles on the new piston and cylinder so far, but so far so good. I didn't notice any increased vibration at all and everything seemed to run just as smooth as before, just twisting the throttle felt a bit different .

As I stated earlier, I'm by no means a mechanical wiz, but if anyone has any questions on specifics of the install or kit, fire away.

Last but not least, many thanks to Rick Ramsey for all the info and pics he has posted on his site. It helped tremendously and for anyone that attempts this would definitely be a big help.

Cheers!
streaks77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 04:14 PM   #6291
streaks77
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoldNewGraphics View Post
Does anyone have a torque value on the lower fork clamp fasteners?
from Service Manual page 16-8: "tighten the bottom bridge pinch bolts to... 24 lbf-ft."

Not sure why they call them that, but it's definitely the fork clamps illustrated.
Old 09-28-2013, 08:53 PM   #6292
kiwi5
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 331
Quote:
Originally Posted by streaks77 View Post
Just finished my big bore install and took it out for a spin... man, oh man, does she have a little more pep now! Ok, a lot more, truth be told.

As for the install itself, let me just say that a service manual was absolutely mandatory. Even with the manual, it was still a chore for a lay(m) mechanic like myself. I feel like the amount of effort that I put in doing this one install could have probably accomplished five if I had even a smidgeon of talent in that department.

Kit came quickly, EJK came back from Dobeck reprogrammed a few days later and that's all she wrote.

Only about 10 miles on the new piston and cylinder so far, but so far so good. I didn't notice any increased vibration at all and everything seemed to run just as smooth as before, just twisting the throttle felt a bit different .

As I stated earlier, I'm by no means a mechanical wiz, but if anyone has any questions on specifics of the install or kit, fire away.

Last but not least, many thanks to Rick Ramsey for all the info and pics he has posted on his site. It helped tremendously and for anyone that attempts this would definitely be a big help.

Cheers!
How much has the big bore kit affected fuel efficiency? Also, what sprocket set up are you running? I REALLLY want one of these kits...!
kiwi5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 09:00 PM   #6293
Chitown Dave
Adventurer

Oddometer: 24
Wrong video

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bag-Of-Hammers View Post
Best video on the internet.
Bag-O

Lol! Thanks.
Chitown Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 05:45 AM   #6294
streaks77
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwi5 View Post
How much has the big bore kit affected fuel efficiency? Also, what sprocket set up are you running? I REALLLY want one of these kits...!
Should have an answer for you later this week on efficiency. I'm running a 13t sprocket up front, stock on the rear with a speedodrd to correct the display.
Old 09-29-2013, 07:18 AM   #6295
Turk
'Bab Man

Oddometer: 110
chain question fellas...I'm going to buy some spare masterlinks however I'm having trouble finding the right one. Mine has DID 520VF written on it, the ones I'm finding online are 520V or VM but not VF. I'm not really clued up on chains to be honest, any info would be much appreciated.

Also, what do you guys carry on the trails that would assist in fixing a broken chain?
Turk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 12:03 PM   #6296
EEKAMOUSE
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 294
Motion pro or similar quality chain breaker a good muti tool a spare section of chain and last but not least at minimum 2 master links
EEKAMOUSE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 01:14 PM   #6297
Turk
'Bab Man

Oddometer: 110
I'm guessing clip links are preferred to rivet due to them being easier to fit on the trail?

Any thoughts on the VF part?
Turk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 03:57 PM   #6298
SAPB
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,431
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turk View Post
I'm guessing clip links are preferred to rivet due to them being easier to fit on the trail?

Any thoughts on the VF part?
I tried the D.I.D. site, and sprocket center, and couldn't find much. Some stuff here, maybe use the contact to ask a question:
http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com...0-0-0-24-1-1-1

CRF250L Service Manual http://www.hondampe.com.au/docs/owni...F250L13_OM.pdf

SAPB screwed with this post 09-29-2013 at 04:09 PM
SAPB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 08:16 PM   #6299
higher_ground
n00b

Oddometer: 5
Hi everyone--

This it my first post here--I've lurked for a while, and bought a LRP back in April. It's my first bike. Anyway, I'll cut to the chase, my LRP was stolen about two weeks ago. The good news is that it was recovered two days later by the police. The bad news: the thieves took it for a joyride, and broke a number of things on the bike.

--Obviously, they completely tore through the lock cylinder, completely removing it and breaking through the handlebar locking mechanism. The bike now turns on/off by inserting a screwdriver through where the lock used to be.

--Somehow they also managed to break off the entire rear fender (tail light, rear signal lights, etc.).

--The removed the spark arrestor (and/or other muffler insert). The bike is much louder now.

--The rear wheel has a great deal of wear, even though they only put 200 miles on it. Small chunks of rubber are missing here and there. Also, there is a screw stuck in the tire. I haven't removed it yet, and the tire still holds pressure. I imagine I'll have to replace the tire though.

--They also pried open the locking gas tank cap, so that it lo longer attaches. Also the tank is dented around the cap, from the prying.

--The seat does not fit 100% snugly anymore and wiggles a bit near the top of the tank. I'm not really sure why.

--They bent the shift lever a bit. Still operable.

--Various scratches here and there.

--The mirrors were also missing, and I have already replaced those.

The bike still seems to work fine, although I have only really ridden it around the block due to the rear wheel having a screw in it. Anyway, I want to fix the bike but don't have a ton of spare cash to throw at the problem, and I'm wary of going to the dealer in my area (negative experience when buying the bike). My plan is to replace as many of the broken components as possible, and then take it in for a tune-up and to change the rear wheel

I'm wondering if anyone has advice on what other things I should be looking for (in terms of damage that may be hard to notice). Also, I know people have done fender replacements, muffler replacements (and possibly gas tank replacements)--I would be VERY INTERESTED in purchasing those unused parts, particularly the rear fender assembly and spark arrestor.

I'm a little less interested in the gas tank, as I might go for a larger one.

I'm also wondering how to go about replacing the lock cylinder (and locking gas cap). Do I have to go through a dealer for this?

Thanks for reading, and I appreciate any advice!
higher_ground is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 08:56 PM   #6300
jsonder
Tired Old Fart

Oddometer: 520
higher_ground, did the shift lever look like this?

jsonder is offline   Reply With Quote