Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-26-2012, 04:59 PM   #661
kirbi69
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 219
im not expecting 600 cc's wrth of power, i had a 1984 honda xl 125 S before, it was a great little bike. as long as it has 250 cc's worth of power i will be happy. i just really want somethen new, with the electric start, and fuel injection and cheap. and this seems to be the best bet, and i wont buy anything buy honda :)
Old 10-26-2012, 05:07 PM   #662
siyeh
Lawn Nazi

Oddometer: 1,555
Quote:
Originally Posted by hamonsax View Post
She seems to run fine, but both the sound and what seems less than expected fuel mileage have me a little curious..
Any thoughts would be welcome!
Thanks
Can't say that I have heard any "piston slap" sound on mine. My mpg on first tank was 66.6 but am unsure dealer had it full to the neck or not.
siyeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 05:55 PM   #663
13Moose-man
Adventurer

Oddometer: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_dog View Post
wot FI controller did you get Moose? i had a look at the JetKit (wotever its called) one that Ramz has, and i cant for the life of me work it out, nor do i want to bugger up a brand new bike by overfuelling it and blowin the motor...wouldnt a Ignition/Fuel Programmer work betterer? like a a car? bit useless having BOTH a FI controller AND an ignition controller on the bike...

Ramz, how long is your braided brake hose? as i ride the bike daily, i can't having it sitting there in the shed for 2-3days while the part rocks up.

Sorry for bein obnoxious, just my 2 cents worth.

Also apologies for the tank remark...had a look at it the other day with a magnetic L plate, seems its STEEL, must have something to do with the 'world market' view Honda has taken, cuz i dont remember any Aussie DS bikes (YAMHONDSUZKAWI) ever having steel tanks..
The fi programmer I got was from Best Dual Sport Bikes, it has the FMF logo on it but it is made by Dobeck Performance. Same thing as Ramz, just different logo. It comes already pre-programmed just plug in and go.
13Moose-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 06:01 PM   #664
13Moose-man
Adventurer

Oddometer: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtbek View Post
+1
I know this probably sounds dumb but I'm not sure how to post pics.
13Moose-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 06:17 PM   #665
joec63 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 280
Quote:
Originally Posted by 13Moose-man View Post
I know this probably sounds dumb but I'm not sure how to post pics.
Not dumb, sent PM
Old 10-26-2012, 07:12 PM   #666
'Flagger
..this space for rent..

Oddometer: 2,333
Question for the collective: How does one remove the spring from the shock assembly on these bikes? The locking collars cannot be backed entirely off the shock as they can on the CRF230F. Looks like you'd have to unscrew the clevis. But how does one do that? Or am I missing something obvious?

Note: Interesting feature on these shocks ... the locking collar threads are not machined into the shock body itself. They are machined into a collar kept from rotating on the shock body with dogteeth. Almost as though the shock can be used for multiple models by just using a different collar.

See the pictures below ....

Proud to be an inmate of AdvRider.
'Flagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 08:07 PM   #667
Secondcreekrider
Secondcreekrider

Oddometer: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by siyeh View Post
Can't say that I have heard any "piston slap" sound on mine. My mpg on first tank was 66.6 but am unsure dealer had it full to the neck or not.
I have noticed a bit of engine "knock" at certain RPMs. I don't know for certain what the sound is but assume nothing out of the ordinary. Just such a quiet bike so more engine noise less muffler is heard at certain speeds. No issues with MPGs.
Secondcreekrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 03:11 AM   #668
Red_dog
Adventurer

Oddometer: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by 'Flagger View Post
. Almost as though the shock can be used for multiple models by just using a different collar.
More cost cutting i see, least it'd be an easy fix if it stuffs up! and replacing/renewing the shock would be easy as too.
Red_dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 07:36 AM   #669
bungie4
Frostback

Oddometer: 465
Seat Concepts seat

Got my new Seat Concepts seat kit in this past week but haven't had time to install it yet, mostly because I think I might need a replacement cover.

If anybody else could set my mind at ease..

It seems that the rear portion of my cover doesn't have a 'tack strip' to staple through to the seat pan. Their doesn't appear to be much to staple through at all. See pics.

Shows no 'tack strip' on rear portion, only on front half of seat:

Same idea:

From the top:

Was your seat cover like this? Does it stretch that much to let you staple through it or is my cover a manufacturer error?

Thanks in advance!

2013 FJR1300, 2004 FJR1300, 2013 CRF250L
I have a job, I explore, I follow every little whiff.
On/Offroad help when you need it - http://www.assistancelist.com
bungie4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 08:16 AM   #670
MentalGuru
Crazy Diamond

Oddometer: 726
Quote:
Question for the collective: How does one remove the spring from the shock assembly on these bikes? The locking collars cannot be backed entirely off the shock as they can on the CRF230F. Looks like you'd have to unscrew the clevis. But how does one do that? Or am I missing something obvious?

Note: Interesting feature on these shocks ... the locking collar threads are not machined into the shock body itself. They are machined into a collar kept from rotating on the shock body with dogteeth. Almost as though the shock can be used for multiple models by just using a different collar.

See the pictures below ....

What's the length on that shock?

I'm sure some old XR shocks would fit and be a huge improvement. Having adjustable rebound and compression is always nice... It might even add some extra travel too.

MentalGuru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 08:32 AM   #671
'Flagger
..this space for rent..

Quote:
Originally Posted by MentalGuru View Post
What's the length on that shock?

I'm sure some old XR shocks would fit and be a huge improvement. Having adjustable rebound and compression is always nice... It might even add some extra travel too.

About 395 mm. Wanted to measure the compressed length but need to get the spring off.

Old 10-27-2012, 08:49 AM   #672
MentalGuru
Crazy Diamond

Oddometer: 726
Quote:
About 395 mm. Wanted to measure the compressed length but need to get the spring off.
Is that length from the center of each mounting bolts?
MentalGuru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 09:04 AM   #673
'Flagger
..this space for rent..

Quote:
Originally Posted by MentalGuru View Post
Is that length from the center of each mounting bolts?
Yep. Eye-to-eye.

Old 10-27-2012, 12:11 PM   #674
mxbundy
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 893
Quote:
Originally Posted by bungie4 View Post
Got my new Seat Concepts seat kit in this past week but haven't had time to install it yet, mostly because I think I might need a replacement cover.

If anybody else could set my mind at ease..

It seems that the rear portion of my cover doesn't have a 'tack strip' to staple through to the seat pan. Their doesn't appear to be much to staple through at all. See pics.

Shows no 'tack strip' on rear portion, only on front half of seat:

Same idea:

From the top:

Was your seat cover like this? Does it stretch that much to let you staple through it or is my cover a manufacturer error?

Thanks in advance!

Steve,

The cover should fit fine. There is not supposed to be and extra flap sewn on the back. This is the first batch from the vendor and we will tweak the pattern for the next order.
When you install this, first get the cover warm in the sun, or throw it in the dryer for a couple of minutes.
Slip the nose over and pull it down into place, then tack it with a couple of staples.
Now do the rear, make sure the cover is centered and pull it taught enough to get an overlap to staple into pan. Now you only need about 3/8 of an inch overlap, thats it. This will put the proper amount of tension on the cover.
Now staple the 2 sides at the bend in the pan, where it meets the tank.
From this point you can start stapling the rest of the seat.

bundy

Check out http://seatconcepts.com/ , your ass will appreciate it!
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=621311
mxbundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 02:09 PM   #675
bungie4
Frostback

Oddometer: 465
Quote:
Originally Posted by mxbundy View Post
Steve,

The cover should fit fine. There is not supposed to be and extra flap sewn on the back. This is the first batch from the vendor and we will tweak the pattern for the next order.
Thanks for the quick reply Bundy. Gotta like it when a company has reps online. Guess I should've just asked you guys directly. Live 'n learn. Unfortunately I put the bike away for the season today so I won't get to try the seat out till spring..

2013 FJR1300, 2004 FJR1300, 2013 CRF250L
I have a job, I explore, I follow every little whiff.
On/Offroad help when you need it - http://www.assistancelist.com
bungie4 is offline   Reply With Quote