Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-02-2012, 06:23 PM   #766
13Moose-man
Adventurer

Oddometer: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed@Ford View Post
Best Dual Sport made great headway on power and weight.....supposedly 6 horsepower, and 13 pounds with battery & muffler....but NOT cheap....the bottom line is the developers for goodies for this bike are jumping out of the woodwork!!
Yes they did. I got the fi programmer and fmf exhaust from Best Dual Sport Bikes, no air box or other mods done yet. I don't know the actual hp gain I got, but I can definitely say a whole lot better than stock. Much more responsive and real good mid range pull. It's not cheap but if you want the extra performance its the way to go.
13Moose-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 07:23 PM   #767
SugarDust
Kulia i ka nu'u

Oddometer: 826
Quote:
Originally Posted by 'Flagger View Post
The article mentions upgrades to the Forks and Shocks using Racetech components ... can't find any mention of that on BDSB's website. Not flaming ... just curious to know more.

The article mentioned the G3 shock - seems like its a custom set up:

http://racetech.com/page/id/98

I guess you have to call them for the valve/spring for the front forks..

2013 KTM 250 XC-W
2013 Honda CRF250L
2011 BMW F650GS

SugarDust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 08:01 PM   #768
Bake
adventurer

Oddometer: 10,515
Quote:
Originally Posted by SugarDust View Post

Describing the rider's weight, in riding gear, and the type of riding you want to do, to them personally, is your best bet if you really want the best suspension from them. (or any suspension techs)
Suspension is like a pair of shoes, either it fits good, or its just sorta kinda and you deal with it. No one size fits all if you want truly compliant suspension.

You probably know all that but I'm adding a little content for the new kids

Bake screwed with this post 11-02-2012 at 08:15 PM
Bake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 08:05 PM   #769
Bake
adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 13Moose-man View Post
Yes they did. I got the fi programmer and fmf exhaust from Best Dual Sport Bikes, no air box or other mods done yet. I don't know the actual hp gain I got, but I can definitely say a whole lot better than stock. Much more responsive and real good mid range pull. It's not cheap but if you want the extra performance its the way to go.
Does it feel like they got the controller right? no surging at steady state throttle, at different rpms, no bogging, no hesitation, no flat spots? The tunable controllers like the Dobeck items are great, because different situations like altitude, load, humidity all affect the settings. I had the fuel controller from Dobeck on my F650GS, using a Staintune slip on muffler, and what worked for me did not work for the next owner, who lived several states away. They set it up on a dyno (the only truly accurate way to adjust one) and was super happy once they did so. The controller and muffler changed that bike into a different machine entirely.

Bake screwed with this post 11-02-2012 at 08:40 PM
Old 11-02-2012, 08:06 PM   #770
MrFurious
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 704
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harcomo View Post
Here's Best Dual Sport Bike's modded bike reviewed by Dirt Bike Magazine.

http://www.dirtbikemagazine.com/ME2/...33371B89BB148F
Good article, but they to used the "sharpie'd" dyno chart. Working in the advertising/marketing world I tend to take it a littler personally when some company (any company) makes claims and then try to back it up with doctored data. Not saying or implying BDSB is lying about their total gains or why they had to use the Sharpie version of the chart, but it would really behoove them to throw the bike back on a dyno ASAP with the full kit installed (and a street tire) to get a real dyno printout and put an end to the questions and uncertainty.

If I noticed it and questioned it and a few others here have noticed and questioned it, I'm sure there are a lot more potential customers out there who have noticed and questioned it.

MrFurious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 08:20 PM   #771
Bake
adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by G19Tony;19949119
[IMG
http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b226/G19Tony/DSC01918.jpg[/IMG]
Tony, did the bike come with those tires? they appear to be like a Trail Wings type tire, a little more street oriented. I used them on My F650Gs. I never had a lick of problem. The bike I have came with the IRC's and I love them! They are working very well for the street and the hardpack/ hard pack covered in 4" sand that we have here.

Bake screwed with this post 11-02-2012 at 08:28 PM
Old 11-02-2012, 08:27 PM   #772
Bake
adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrFurious View Post
Good article, but they to used the "sharpie'd" dyno chart. Working in the advertising/marketing world I tend to take it a littler personally when some company (any company) makes claims and then try to back it up with doctored data. Not saying or implying BDSB is lying about their total gains or why they had to use the Sharpie version of the chart, but it would really behoove them to throw the bike back on a dyno ASAP with the full kit installed (and a street tire) to get a real dyno printout and put an end to the questions and uncertainty.

If I noticed it and questioned it and a few others here have noticed and questioned it, I'm sure there are a lot more potential customers out there who have noticed and questioned it.
Yeah, this is the thing with bringing products to market. I agree. Reputation and forums and internet chatter can make or break a product sometimes. On the one hand, when a new model breaks cover, a person can't develop and test a skidplate for a year. If it fits, and you have the tooling to be sure it fits, then it's ready. It's a hundred, hundred and fifty bucks, no moving parts and like that; but engine exhaust pipe management and tuning the controllers, HP claims in public, better be fine tuned before being presented on a website with 100,000 members worldwide.

Old 11-02-2012, 08:38 PM   #773
Bake
adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SugarDust View Post

The article also said RaceTech put "Gold valves and stiffer springs" on this bike's fork. I've read the fork set up is spring on one side, damping control on the other. Which is it?

Old 11-02-2012, 09:41 PM   #774
TNC
Candyass Camper

Oddometer: 4,588
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bake View Post
The article also said RaceTech put "Gold valves and stiffer springs" on this bike's fork. I've read the fork set up is spring on one side, damping control on the other. Which is it?
Yeah, that's what the specs say. This is what some of the top drawer MX bikes are going to. It's not really that unusual. One Gold Valve compression assembly set up properly with the right shims should do fine. I installed Gold Valve kits in the KYB forks on my KLX, and they do an amazing job of upgrading the suspension
TNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 12:05 AM   #775
G19Tony
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 405
Quote:
Tony, did the bike come with those tires? they appear to be like a Trail Wings type tire, a little more street oriented. I used them on My F650Gs. I never had a lick of problem. The bike I have came with the IRC's and I love them! They are working very well for the street and the hardpack/ hard pack covered in 4" sand that we have here.
The tires are Kenda 761's I've only had them in the dirt once and they did fine. They are great on the street.

Nothing's too cruel if it's funny enough.
G19Tony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 02:07 AM   #776
Red_dog
Adventurer

Oddometer: 35
Quote:
I've read the fork set up is spring on one side, damping control on the other.
also called 'Separate Function Fork' or SFF. Kawa was the 1st adopt it, old news now with the Air Shocks comin out on top of the line MX rides- 450R, KX450F so far.
1993 Barina- Sigh...
Red_dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 08:28 AM   #777
TNC
Candyass Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_dog View Post
also called 'Separate Function Fork' or SFF. Kawa was the 1st adopt it, old news now with the Air Shocks comin out on top of the line MX rides- 450R, KX450F so far.
And this technology has been used for many years in mountainbike forks. Some scoff when I mention a comparison of MTB forks to dirt motor forks, but in reality much of the technology is identical. In many cases the MTB forks are much more advanced than dirt motor forks and rear shocks...external high/low compression and rebound adjusters...adjustable travel and so on.
Old 11-03-2012, 10:49 AM   #778
MrFurious
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 704
Quote:
Originally Posted by TNC View Post
And this technology has been used for many years in mountainbike forks. Some scoff when I mention a comparison of MTB forks to dirt motor forks, but in reality much of the technology is identical. In many cases the MTB forks are much more advanced than dirt motor forks and rear shocks...external high/low compression and rebound adjusters...adjustable travel and so on.
Give me a of 49mm conventional fork off a 1996-98 Suzuki RM 125/250 and I'll be a happy man. USD forks came into fashion at the tail end of the 1980's, a few years after I made the jump to a 125cc MX bike, and I never have cared for them.

MrFurious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 11:41 AM   #779
TNC
Candyass Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrFurious View Post
Give me a of 49mm conventional fork off a 1996-98 Suzuki RM 125/250 and I'll be a happy man. USD forks came into fashion at the tail end of the 1980's, a few years after I made the jump to a 125cc MX bike, and I never have cared for them.
Good conventional forks can work very well with cartridge dampers, but there's an honest stiffness reason that all high end dirt bikes have gone to USD designed forks. Most of us riding dual sport bikes won't have much issue from either design. In the early days of USD forks, I think they fell behind a bit in seal technology which caused some headaches. They've gotten much better in that area in the years since.
Old 11-03-2012, 04:42 PM   #780
Brk4moose
Could save your life

Oddometer: 24
So I got it and....

So I picked up my CRF250L on 11/1....25 miles on the odometer (dealership to home), and I love it already. However, Today I go out to my garage to take it for a rip and there are three oil drips on my garage floor just below the bike. It looked to be coming from the drain plug and there was a little bit pooled up in the plastic skid plate. I cleaned it all up and was able to tighten the drain plug a little bit. Hopefully that will be the end of that. Anyone else come across that yet?

Also, has anyone heard of a centerstand that may be in the works somewhere? I haven't seen anything as of yet. My garage is a bit tight and a centerstand would make life a little easier.
Brk4moose is offline   Reply With Quote