Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-06-2012, 12:22 PM   #811
joec63 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 280
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRFSoCal View Post
Hey I'm still new to the whole dual sport and riding. Is there any hand guards that work with stick bars? If not what are some good bars that are not to far from the way the stock ones are. Thanks in advance.

Use this tool to get the dimensions on the stock bars. Choose CRF250L from the drop down box. Then shop for bars that are close. I went with Pro Taper CR HIGH but others will work also. The stock bars are flimsy, bent very easy in a dismount

I preferred drilling the three holes for the switchgear versus filing down the nubs so keep the stockers for the hole measurements if you go that route.

http://www.zeta-racing.com/handlebar/players/sim.html

As far as handguards I was using Cycra pro bend on the stockers with a little adjustment.
Old 11-06-2012, 12:44 PM   #812
MentalGuru
Crazy Diamond

Oddometer: 726
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brk4moose View Post
I know my wife is gonna hit it pulling her car in. Just a matter of time. The suspension travel leans the bike over in my garage more than my last bike. Besides maintenance is easier on a centerstand. To each their own I guess.

I guess I'm just old school and am happy with a block of wood under the kickstand...

MentalGuru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 02:46 PM   #813
p0diabl0
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 546
Quote:
Originally Posted by MentalGuru View Post
I guess I'm just old school and am happy with a block of wood under the kickstand...

Same. Also he could just turn it around so it leans away from the car...
p0diabl0 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 03:48 PM   #814
Brk4moose
Could save your life

Oddometer: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by p0diabl0 View Post
Same. Also he could just turn it around so it leans away from the car...
So I had today of and I re-arranged some stuff in the garage. Bike fits perfect now, should be good to go. I used a block of wood and now it lives on the other side. Was able to go out for a chilly but quick little toot. That bikes awesome, fingers are crossed for a warm winter....
Brk4moose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 04:18 PM   #815
SugarDust
Kulia i ka nu'u

Oddometer: 829
I finally had a chance to install and try the Dobeck Fuel Controller

I finally had a chance to install the Dobeck Fuel Controller today. Took the bike for about a 20 mile ride (wish I could have gotten more time but not today) - I can say without a doubt it is worth the money! wow, what a difference. With 13/42 gearing and just the FI controller it's like it different bike; even with the stock exhaust it really makes a difference.

2013 KTM 250 XC-W
2013 Honda CRF250L
2011 BMW F650GS

SugarDust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 04:50 PM   #816
TNC
Candyass Camper

Oddometer: 4,617
Quote:
Originally Posted by SugarDust View Post
I finally had a chance to install the Dobeck Fuel Controller today. Took the bike for about a 20 mile ride (wish I could have gotten more time but not today) - I can say without a doubt it is worth the money! wow, what a difference. With 13/42 gearing and just the FI controller it's like it different bike; even with the stock exhaust it really makes a difference.
That's good to hear. Shouldn't be surprising for a good FI bike. I have two acquaintances with WR250R's, and their bikes experienced notable performance and driveability improvements with a controller.
TNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 06:04 PM   #817
SugarDust
Kulia i ka nu'u

Oddometer: 829
Quote:
Originally Posted by TNC View Post
That's good to hear. Shouldn't be surprising for a good FI bike. I have two acquaintances with WR250R's, and their bikes experienced notable performance and driveability improvements with a controller.
given the improvement, I may put off the FMF exhaust and instead improve the suspension with the race tech components mentioned in the DB article...

2013 KTM 250 XC-W
2013 Honda CRF250L
2011 BMW F650GS

SugarDust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 06:25 PM   #818
'Flagger
..this space for rent..

Oddometer: 2,328
Quote:
Originally Posted by SugarDust View Post
given the improvement, I may put off the FMF exhaust and instead improve the suspension with the race tech components mentioned in the DB article...
Speaking of which .... I wonder who the other two people were that called them about the article on the same day I did.

I learned the following:
-Their custom shock for the CRF250L is ~$750. It's an Internal Floating Piston model with adjustable rebound damping and adjustable preload (non-remote). The packaging space at the upper end of the shock prevents piggyback models or remote preload adjust.

- For the front they want you to send the forks in to be reworked. For ~$450-$500 (not willing to give a firm quote until they get the forks in hand), they'll install a gold valve and modify the front spring to stiffen the rate. They've found that there is a limit to how far they can go. He said the rates (both stock and max), but I was unable to write that down. He did say that the rate the BDSB dude wanted was higher than they could deliver. They haven't looked into having a custom spring wound for the bike but will if there is enough demand.

So ... if anyone here is at all interested, give them a call and give them the impetus to make those springs!

Proud to be an inmate of AdvRider.
'Flagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 09:00 PM   #819
CRFSoCal
Adventurer

Oddometer: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by joec63 View Post
Use this tool to get the dimensions on the stock bars. Choose CRF250L from the drop down box. Then shop for bars that are close. I went with Pro Taper CR HIGH but others will work also. The stock bars are flimsy, bent very easy in a dismount

I preferred drilling the three holes for the switchgear versus filing down the nubs so keep the stockers for the hole measurements if you go that route.

http://www.zeta-racing.com/handlebar/players/sim.html

As far as handguards I was using Cycra pro bend on the stockers with a little adjustment.
Thank you for the advice I appreciate it a lot.
CRFSoCal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 04:28 AM   #820
Crafty_D
Adventurer

Oddometer: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by goondock View Post
Nice I like the red bars, congrats on the bike it is a lot of fun. GO SPRINGBOKS!

Thanks man. Will post some pics once my hand guards are on. Still contemplating cutting a whole in the side of the throttle... grrrr.. Already had to nub the pins for the handlebars.

*sigh* choices choices.
Crafty_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 04:36 AM   #821
Crafty_D
Adventurer

Oddometer: 12
NEED $850 stat!

Hahah I need ideas how to make $850 thats allot of cash in South African RAND geeez. I want the bestdualsport stage 1 kit ... Unfair, all the cool stuff from other country's.

But we have awesome trails and animals. I will take some elephant pics next time. They dont seem too bothered by the bike :) But im NOT getting off, will take pic from the seat. Also saw some gazelle last weekend while riding.
Crafty_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 06:37 AM   #822
goondock
Adventurer

Oddometer: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crafty_D View Post
Hahah I need ideas how to make $850 thats allot of cash in South African RAND geeez. I want the bestdualsport stage 1 kit ... Unfair, all the cool stuff from other country's.

But we have awesome trails and animals. I will take some elephant pics next time. They dont seem too bothered by the bike :) But im NOT getting off, will take pic from the seat. Also saw some gazelle last weekend while riding.

I am also saving up for that kit, looks good and i talked to the owner and he seems pretty legit.

as for your hand guard question if you check out page 52 you will see I posted pictures of the ones I have installed they arent the cheapest when you include the mirrors but they are solid. Lots of guys seem to like the Cycra hand guards.
goondock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 06:51 AM   #823
Wargasm
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 181
Forks

Didn't I read somewhere that the CRF250L forks have the same external dimesnsions as the CRF250X and CRF450X, making a swap easy. wondering if anyone has acces to all three bikes to so a comparo. There'd be a few used stock forks out there off MX bikes that converted to fancy schmancy gear, wouldn't there?
Wargasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 07:13 AM   #824
B DIRT
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,376
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wargasm View Post
Didn't I read somewhere that the CRF250L forks have the same external dimesnsions as the CRF250X and CRF450X, making a swap easy. wondering if anyone has acces to all three bikes to so a comparo. There'd be a few used stock forks out there off MX bikes that converted to fancy schmancy gear, wouldn't there?
I have a set of 450R forks from I think an 03-04 but the axles are different sizes so you then run into the speedo drive, and front wheel not working although thats easy remedy.
Old 11-07-2012, 09:45 AM   #825
TNC
Candyass Camper

Oddometer: 4,617
Quote:
Originally Posted by B DIRT View Post
I have a set of 450R forks from I think an 03-04 but the axles are different sizes so you then run into the speedo drive, and front wheel not working although thats easy remedy.
B Dirt, could you measure the two forks you have there in your possession? Give us a measurement from the very top of both forks at the cap threads all the way down to the center of the axles. This would tell us how much the front end/head angle might be affected in regards to handling. In most cases of fork swaps being discussed here, the whole triple clamp assembly has to be used, as the OEM triple clamps are not usually compatible with the usually bigger, replacement fork. On the speedo and instrument panel issue, it is often easier and better to just go to a Trailtech Vapor style instrument panel for a price of just over $100. These panels usually have more and better data anyway and are often superior to the OEM stuff. This allows you to use the better front wheel assembly that comes with the bigger/better fork. An entire front fork swap isn't what most folks are willing to undertake, but they can almost always yield a way superior result.

On the rear shock, that Race Tech shock looks very good. However, I wish they'd apply a remote reservoir with a hose type setup that would allow one to mount that reservoir in a convenient place. While much improved, there's something to gained by having a reservoir system as far as tuning and even long term reliability are concerned. Some companies offer remote reservoir shocks. I used a top drawer Works Performance shock on two KLR600/650's some years ago that had a remote reservoir. I mounted the reservoir in a convenient place, and it worked wonders for the piggy KLR. A remote reservoir shock with the Honda is probably very doable.
TNC is offline   Reply With Quote