Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-08-2012, 06:06 PM   #856
rcan08
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guerillah View Post
How good are the CRF250L headlights? Any comparison to the WR250R Rick?
its pretty dark here in the country, i was impressed with the light the bike puts out. Not a gl1800, but really good.
randy
Old 11-08-2012, 06:38 PM   #857
CRFSoCal
Adventurer

Oddometer: 43
What is the difference in the FMF mufflers available for the 250l. The Q4 hex and the powercore hex look identical. IS the power core just the Q4 with out the silencer? If so can i remove the silencer from the Q4 to make it louder if I want to? Sorry about all the questions.
CRFSoCal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 07:01 PM   #858
Guerillah
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by ramz View Post
I have never ridden either bike at night and don't plan to, so I haven't even checked their lighting capabilities. Yes, somewhat shortsighted, but it's a blind spot for me, so to speak.

I don't recall riding any moto after sunset for the last 20 years..... I remember riding an XR200R after sunset in 1982 with JohnO on Raven Rd in the Monzanos. That's all I got.

Trails and dirt roads by day make my day.
I guess I'm just not the adventurous type.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcan08 View Post
its pretty dark here in the country, i was impressed with the light the bike puts out. Not a gl1800, but really good.
randy
Sweet, thanks guys.
Guerillah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 07:02 PM   #859
ramz
Professional Trail Rider

Oddometer: 1,983
I don't know about the differences, but here is something I tried.

On the Q4 Hex, I removed the bolt that holds the spark arrestor/insert in place and tried to remove the assembly. It wouldn't budge. So I called FMF and asked the guy how do I get the spark arrestor out to clean it. He said, remove the bolt and pull the assembly out. I told him it wouldn't budge. He said that was unusual and didn't offer any more help.

I tried again. I put a small piece of metal on the lip of the end cap and used that as a base for levering an awl which was inserted into the screw hole. I tried to pry it out and it wouldn't budge. I tried everything I could think of and the most I got was a slight shift when I put my fat thumb in and tried side-to-side motion. But it still wouldn't come out.

Now I don't want to ride with the silencer core removed, I just wanted a look at it and the spark arrestor. So for now, I'm putting the bolt back in and mounting the muffler up tomorrow and riding.

Eventually, I may open the other end of the muffler and insert a smaller diameter core to reduce sound, but that's a ways off.
ramz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 07:37 PM   #860
Spud Rider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,741
Quote:
Originally Posted by ramz View Post
I don't know about the differences, but here is something I tried.

On the Q4 Hex, I removed the bolt that holds the spark arrestor/insert in place and tried to remove the assembly. It wouldn't budge. So I called FMF and asked the guy how do I get the spark arrestor out to clean it. He said, remove the bolt and pull the assembly out. I told him it wouldn't budge. He said that was unusual and didn't offer any more help.

I tried again. I put a small piece of metal on the lip of the end cap and used that as a base for levering an awl which was inserted into the screw hole. I tried to pry it out and it wouldn't budge. I tried everything I could think of and the most I got was a slight shift when I put my fat thumb in and tried side-to-side motion. But it still wouldn't come out.

Now I don't want to ride with the silencer core removed, I just wanted a look at it and the spark arrestor. So for now, I'm putting the bolt back in and mounting the muffler up tomorrow and riding.

Eventually, I may open the other end of the muffler and insert a smaller diameter core to reduce sound, but that's a ways off.
I like FMF products a lot. However, their "technical support" over the telephone is notoriously bad. I don't think their tech support via email is any better, but it can't be worse than their telephone "support."

Spud
2005 XR650L: Shorai Battery Relocation, Spud Oil Cooler, XR650R C/S Sprocket, Reinforced Subframe, Chain Slipper Roller, Performance Design Lowering Link, Baja Designs Headlight, FMF Hi-Flo Header, ManRacks SD Rack, ManRacks Front Fender Farkle, CST Surge I Front Tire, D952 Rear Tire, Tusk D-Flex Handguards, Uni Air Filter, No-Toil Evolution air filter oil
Spud Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 07:50 PM   #861
Wargasm
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 191
Quote:
Originally Posted by Earthscape View Post
Also, it's probably not a good idea to have a bike with 3" more suspension travel than it has ground clearance (3" is just an arbitrary number). That could cause a very dangerous situation in the right conditions (I know we're only talking about the fork here though). If you're going to increase the travel by inches, it should increase the ground clearance / seat height by the same amount at full extension - unless you're putting in springs so stiff that the extra travel can never be used, but then that may not work well.
Landing from some air and going over the bars or breaking some ankle bones would not be fun.
Of course anyone can do what they want with their own bike, it's just another measurement to consider.
I was thinking about this too. But there would have to be a way to put bump stops in the forks. wouldn't there???? I think that the springs themselves would limit the travel, the further they get compressed the higher the rate becomes, on progressive rate springs anyway, but I guess that's only to a certain point. THis will take some thinking.
Wargasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 08:04 PM   #862
TwilightZone
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,903
>"On the Q4 Hex, I removed the bolt that holds the spark arrestor/insert in place and tried to remove the assembly. It wouldn't budge."

(I have a WR250R, not a Honda, but I think the FMF pipe stuff is the same.)
Didn't have an issue with removing the spark arrestor from mine. A small screwdriver inserted around the spark arrestor edge/exhaust pipe/edge usually works (probably with a hammer).

A Q4 pipe is pretty loud without the spark arrestor in the end. I ran mine a bit that way and most of the people on the street looked at you.
There is a difference in the Q4 and P4 internals. For a quiet exhaust (on the WRR), take a Q4 pipe and insert the 'quiet' spark arrestor from a P4. (Gotta bend the spark arrestor screen to make it fit in the Q4). Read the WR250R thread for the specifics.
Old 11-09-2012, 12:09 AM   #863
Crafty_D
Adventurer

Oddometer: 12
WOW! no one lifted opinions or gave some tips on riding in? Please people , I thought this forum is place where like minded guys help and share with each other? Also if anyone could give me tips on opening the throttle end to fit hand guards it would be nice.

Thanks.
Crafty_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 01:49 AM   #864
roundtripping
Adventourist

Oddometer: 1,702
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crafty_D View Post
WOW! no one lifted opinions or gave some tips on riding in? Please people , I thought this forum is place where like minded guys help and share with each other? Also if anyone could give me tips on opening the throttle end to fit hand guards it would be nice.

Thanks.
Like minded? You must be new here. There are as many opinions on breaking in as there are people here. A few dudes saying "ride it like you stole it" and a few saying "for the love of God baby it" isn't really gonna help you so there's little point going down that road.

My SPOT Tracker
roundtripping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 04:27 AM   #865
SugarDust
Kulia i ka nu'u

Oddometer: 834
Quote:
WOW! no one lifted opinions or gave some tips on riding in? Please people , I thought this forum is place where like minded guys help and share with each other? ...
Gals too don't forget. I use the search function to find information. Folks throughout the years have asked many of the same questions (for instance on breaking in there have been whole threads dedicated to that) search is your friend

Quote:
WOW! Also if anyone could give me tips on opening the throttle end to fit hand guards it would be nice.
I used a hack saw as suggested in the directions that came with mine.

In Loving Memory of Cruzin2B 1953 - 2014
SugarDust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 04:45 AM   #866
Crafty_D
Adventurer

Oddometer: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by SugarDust View Post
Gals too don't forget. I use the search function to find information. Folks throughout the years have asked many of the same questions (for instance on breaking in there have been whole threads dedicated to that) search is your friend

I used a hack saw as suggested in the directions that came with mine.
Thank you. and BTW - by like minded I mean the love of 2 wheels and adventure :)
Crafty_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 05:31 AM   #867
siyeh
Lawn Nazi

Oddometer: 1,556
Dude. It's a Honda. Ride it like you're mad at it. Break in is done.
siyeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 05:52 AM   #868
EEKAMOUSE
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 309
Quote:
Originally Posted by siyeh View Post
Dude. It's a Honda. Ride it like you're mad at it. Break in is done.
Agreed haha it loves abuse!
EEKAMOUSE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 06:05 AM   #869
Spud Rider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,741
Engine break-in discussions are in the same category as motor oil and chain lube discussions. People have a wide variety of opinions on these questions, and the differences are never resolved. Riders have success with greatly different engine break-in techniques, just as they have success with a wide variety of motor oils and chain lubricants. Pick any reasonable method/product you prefer, and you won't go wrong. Along that vein of reasoning, you certainly will not greatly err if you follow the manufacturer's recommendations.

Spud
2005 XR650L: Shorai Battery Relocation, Spud Oil Cooler, XR650R C/S Sprocket, Reinforced Subframe, Chain Slipper Roller, Performance Design Lowering Link, Baja Designs Headlight, FMF Hi-Flo Header, ManRacks SD Rack, ManRacks Front Fender Farkle, CST Surge I Front Tire, D952 Rear Tire, Tusk D-Flex Handguards, Uni Air Filter, No-Toil Evolution air filter oil
Spud Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 06:54 AM   #870
goondock
Adventurer

Oddometer: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRFSoCal View Post
What is the difference in the FMF mufflers available for the 250l. The Q4 hex and the powercore hex look identical. IS the power core just the Q4 with out the silencer? If so can i remove the silencer from the Q4 to make it louder if I want to? Sorry about all the questions.

I wondered that myself so I gave FMF a call. The guy said the Powercore would flow a bit more free and be louder for sure. the Q4 is better for riding on the road because it wasn't as loud.

That is what I was told.
goondock is offline   Reply With Quote