Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-24-2012, 12:20 AM   #1066
DirtyBlackIrish
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 151
Loving the heated grip instal!!!!! I have been wanting to do the same thing.
Old 11-24-2012, 01:20 AM   #1067
chozzer
Chozzer

Oddometer: 22
Bash plate, Mugen tail pipel

Had these put on at the first service.

The Mugen exhaust a couple of kg lighter than stock and very well made - and very quiet still.

Need to put on an EFI controller to get a full impact obviously.

Bash plate looks rock solid

chozzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 07:18 AM   #1068
Wargasm
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRFSoCal View Post
Okay so I bent my stock bars and I am looking to upgrade from the stock 7/8s to 1 1/8 bars. Is there a clamp that converts to the 1 1/8 bars that is low and keeps the stock clamp width. I want to run the Highway dirt bike hand guards with the top clamp but it uses stock width patterns.
Pro Taper has conversion clamps that are marginally higher than stock and not much wider, plus you get to pick the from the wide variety of pro-taper and other 1 1/8" bars
Wargasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 07:37 AM   #1069
RonZacapa
Adventurer

Oddometer: 43
Trading Up!

Traded in my 2012 CBX250 Twister for a new CRF250L. Honda Pinetown (Durban SA) gave me a good deal so there's only a bit of cash changing hands. Collecting the CRF Wednesday this coming week. Looking forward to some single track in the Valley, cheap commuting and good times with the new bike. The garage is almost complete: 2011 XR650L, 2013 CRF250L, 1971 SL125S Mutant, 1985 BMW R80 Airhead. Life on two wheels is good.

Great thread this for all matters CRF250L related. Now going back to page 12 to read the rest of the thread - may take a while
RonZacapa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 08:19 AM   #1070
Lost Rider
Roadie

Oddometer: 3,092
Quote:
Okay so I bent my stock bars and I am looking to upgrade from the stock 7/8s to 1 1/8 bars. Is there a clamp that converts to the 1 1/8 bars that is low and keeps the stock clamp width. I want to run the Highway dirt bike hand guards with the top clamp but it uses stock width patterns.

I am using a ROX 1.5" riser that converts from 7/8 to 1 1/8 with the HDB guards. The added height is great for standing up and a comfortable seated position, but maybe you don't want to raise the bars as much. If you ever want to come up to Ojai and check it out before you decide, PM me.
Granted the top clamp I had already for the 650GS didn't have the correct bolt pattern so I needed to have them installed in a alternative way with both ROX risers on the left side instead of on either side of the triple clamp. I offset the bars in the ROX risers to still make them centered. Not perfect looking if you look close but just as functional. Wanted to work with what I had already after spending enough on the bike itself...
If you order the HDB top clamp that matches the bolt pattern on the CRF's triple clamp the ROX risers will line up perfectly. If you order the bars of your choice from HDB with the guard kit they come with the bars end inserts already installed. If you get your own bars and then the kit, the HDB comes with the tap and insert to install yourself.

Also, when installing aftermarket bars you'll either need to correctly line up and drill holes in the bars to match these little inserts that Honda uses on 3 of the bar switches and lever mounts, or do like I did and just cut them off. I love my Dremel.
After cutting them off I just wrapped the new bars a few times with e-tape to help create more friction and increase the diameter slightly so the parts don't rotate on the bars. No problem with this method, everything is solid and doesn't move on the Pro Taper bars.

Then again, I have a brand new set of stock bars if anyone wants them too.

See how I have to have both ROX on the left, with the correct top clamp the ROX would go on either side of the triple clamp.

On a side note about the heated grips.... Again, being impatient I foolishly bought a heated grip kit from our local (cheap) Cycle Gear, and while it does work, I would recommend this Moose racing kit that I have on my Husaberg, it's much higher quality with no resistor in line like the CG one and has worked great for me for a while. It actually comes with everything you need to install it, unlike the CG one.
The el cheapo one doesn't get as hot and I don't expect the components to last as long. Eventually a Moose kit will end up on the Honda. I knew better, but Nancy's hands were cold and I wanted to get it done asap while putting on the new bars.
Don't forget to wrap the left side bar with a little etape to insulate the heating element, without it the metal bars will suck the heat from the element and you'll have a hot right hand (since it's not touching the metal bars, it's on the throttle tube) and a luke warm left hand.

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com...armer-Kit.aspx

The Moose grip switch on my Husa on the HDB top clamp:

LostRider.com
Lost Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 08:40 AM   #1071
Lost Rider
Roadie

Quote:
Originally Posted by chozzer View Post
Had these put on at the first service.

The Mugen exhaust a couple of kg lighter than stock and very well made - and very quiet still.

Need to put on an EFI controller to get a full impact obviously.

Bash plate looks rock solid
]

Nice bike chozzer!

I like that exhaust, especially since you say it's still quiet and it still uses the OEM cover to protect luggage from melting. I know to get the most out of the Bazzaz FI controller we'll want to change the exhaust, but I wasn't interested in the FMF offerings. Something new for us to consider when the time comes. Any chance of a video with audio for us to be able to compare sounds?
The skid plate looks great too!
Thanks for sharing.

*Edit*
found a video, sounds nice, now I just need to find a North America Distributor when the time comes.

Is there a quiet insert you can add to the Mugen? Do you have one? Does this video have one do you think or is this just the original exhaust? We don't want much louder of a bike than it is now.

thanks!

-Finn

LostRider.com

Lost Rider screwed with this post 11-24-2012 at 09:07 AM
Old 11-24-2012, 02:15 PM   #1072
CRFSoCal
Adventurer

Thanks Lost Rider. I appreciate the info. I am looking for something like this but for 7/8 to 1 1/8
CRFSoCal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 04:33 PM   #1073
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 17,202
where are those ones from?
i have some that RM ATV used to sell but they stopped.
Outlaw still makes em from PP

if this adapter is not enough height lift then combine the 2.
http://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p/...-Bar-Clamp-Kit

http://pitposse.com/ourabiunbarr.html

i've seen it done. you might need to buy longer lower bolts.

another option is to buy a fatbar with a taller bend.

Quote:
Thanks Lost Rider. I appreciate the info. I am looking for something like this but for 7/8 to 1 1/8
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Cycle World Adventure Rally:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=956350
eakins is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 05:05 PM   #1074
CRFSoCal
Adventurer

Thank you for the info. I'm looking for the least amount of rise but i don't want the width from clamp to clamp to be any bigger. I don't know if highway dirt bikes can custom make top mount widths. The adapters I see move the top clamp bolts over slighty. Like the pro taper ones
Old 11-24-2012, 08:02 PM   #1075
Leoffensive
Adventurer

Oddometer: 34
hello owners!

well after months(actually about a year) of researching for my first bike

this bike has won out over the drz400 as my first bike.

im hoping to have my down payment put together by the 15th of december im gonna pick one of these babies up.

im excited

what are the first mods you guys recommend?

im thinking handguards and fender eliminator kit(if there's one out yet) cause that stock rear fender looks like the damn bucket on our backhoe at work haha.
Leoffensive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 08:10 PM   #1076
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 17,202
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leoffensive View Post
hello owners!

im hoping to have my down payment put together by the 15th of december im gonna pick one of these babies up.

im excited

im thinking handguards and fender eliminator kit(if there's one out yet) cause that stock rear fender looks like the damn bucket on our backhoe at work haha.
skid plate is any bike's #1 mod
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Cycle World Adventure Rally:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=956350
eakins is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 08:13 PM   #1077
Lost Rider
Roadie

Congrats!

This is a perfect first or 10th bike!

Handguards are a good idea, especially since the left side replacement lever is backordered with no available date in the near future. The CRF250L levers have a unique part # and my dealer couldn't find anything that would match. Dropping the bike (which for anyone, especially first bike riders will happen) and breaking a lever that can't be replaced easily would suck.
The fender eliminator might look good if your buddies ride crotch rockets, but personally I'd rather have dirt on that ugly fender than on my back or in my backpack or on my helmet. You can take off the ugly added plate bracket and reflectors while still keeping some functionality.

Getting bars that wont bend in a place that works for you, a seat, etc = getting comfortable on the bike so you want to get more seat time (which is the best thing you can do to enhance your riding experience) would be second, third or forth on my list, followed by a steering damper. Then worry about the rest. A steering damper will make riding in sand more fun,(plenty of that around you) and help keep you from crashing when you clip a big rock at speeds, along with reducing fatigue and improve handling on pavement.

Should be a great Xmas for you!

Cheers

LostRider.com

Lost Rider screwed with this post 11-24-2012 at 08:41 PM
Old 11-24-2012, 08:40 PM   #1078
Leoffensive
Adventurer

Oddometer: 34
fo sho.

then probably handguards will be first. then skid plate.

id hate to drop my bike and not be able to replace the lever
Leoffensive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 08:52 PM   #1079
Lost Rider
Roadie

Right on, we all have our own experience to base our recommendations on. You'll find what works for you and fits the budget once you get In Motion on your CRF!
At least besides having an very competent trail bike, you'll have a very efficient, cost effective commuter bike to get to work or school, to feed the beast that is ADV riding.

Besides all the crap you can enhance modify or bolt on to protect things you might or might not need, the other thing I can highly recommend as an investment as a new DS rider would be to take a Jimmy Lewis class. Nothing you can bolt on a bike will help you more than developing good riding skills, and Jimmy is The Man.

http://jimmylewisoffroad.com

Good luck, looking forward to seeing you do your thang.

LostRider.com
Old 11-24-2012, 09:04 PM   #1080
CRFSoCal
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leoffensive View Post
hello owners!

im excited

Hey are you are on Tacoma world too? I recognize your screen name. Mines SoCalrunner