ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 11-24-2012, 11:19 PM   #1081
Leoffensive
Adventurer
 
Joined: Dec 2011
Location: San Diego, CA
Oddometer: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRFSoCal View Post
Hey are you are on Tacoma world too? I recognize your screen name. Mines SoCalrunner

yes sir!

haha

im taking the msf class this week/weekend so i can get my lic.

i cant really commute with the bike(once i get it) since my commute is like 30 miles one way from santee to descanso and its all up hill one way and its a big climb in elevation. but i can throw the bike in the tacoma and then ride from my yard to local trails.
Leoffensive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 03:40 AM   #1082
Bladez
n00b
 
Joined: Feb 2010
Location: Chiang Mai
Oddometer: 9
I like the look of that bash plate. Doesn't look as overkill as a lot that I have seen. Do you happen to know what brand it is, and how much it cost?

That muffler looks nice too? How much did it cost you, and do you happen to know if it was designed specifically for this bike?

Lastly, what FI controllers are people using over there and how much do the sell for? I am in Thailand btw.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chozzer View Post
Had these put on at the first service.

The Mugen exhaust a couple of kg lighter than stock and very well made - and very quiet still.

Need to put on an EFI controller to get a full impact obviously.

Bash plate looks rock solid





Bladez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 04:00 AM   #1083
Bladez
n00b
 
Joined: Feb 2010
Location: Chiang Mai
Oddometer: 9
Ok, I went at my pipe yesterday and figured out what you have done. So how did you cut the stock tail pipe out of the muffler for starters? Did you just drill a million holes around the whole pipe, or a torch? If you used an angle grinder, than you would have ended up with a square hole but I see that you have a round gasket on there.

Hmm, now that I look at your pictures more, I am getting more confused. Maybe your muffler in the US is not the same as my Thai one. I see that pic 1 and pic 2 are not the same pipe insert yet they are both bolt-on. Is pic 2 the stock one? Mine is not bolt-on at all. After I take off the cosmetic end cap thing, the little tail pipe coming out of the muffler is welded in place. Was yours bolted on? Can anyone else in the US confirm this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt699 View Post
Hey guys, I am new to this forum. I have been riding dirt bikes for a while and just got a CRF250L which is my first DS. I am a big fan of DIY modding and tinkering around with things so naturally I modded the exhaust with the help of my friend, check it out..








For all of you smokey bears out there I will be installing a spark arrestor in the near future. but overall it woke the bike up a bit and the EFI system seems to cope with it quite well. I want to modd the air box but not sure if I should wait to get a power commander before I go messing around too much. let me know what you gents think

oh yeah, and I can actually hear the bike at speed so I know what my RPMs are aroundabout.
Bladez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 08:26 AM   #1084
jdanks
n00b
 
Joined: Nov 2012
Location: Oregon
Oddometer: 2
Stock Tool Kit

I just picked up a CRF250L and while going through the bike I was surprised to find that the tool kit consisted of only two hex wrenches and a fuse puller. Is this what everyone else got in their stock tool kit? Or did the dealer forgot to include the whole tool kit with mine?
jdanks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 08:28 AM   #1085
CRFSoCal
Adventurer
 
Joined: Oct 2012
Oddometer: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leoffensive View Post
yes sir!

haha

im taking the msf class this week/weekend so i can get my lic.

i cant really commute with the bike(once i get it) since my commute is like 30 miles one way from santee to descanso and its all up hill one way and its a big climb in elevation. but i can throw the bike in the tacoma and then ride from my yard to local trails.
Small world haha. I will be getting my license soon. The bike is a blast though for sure. I need to take it in for the first servicing.


I received the same tool kit as you. It is pretty pathetic
CRFSoCal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 08:35 AM   #1086
viajerosolo
n00b
 
Joined: Nov 2012
Oddometer: 3
CRFL Long Distance ADV riding?

New to the forum!

I own a 09 CRFM for now, and it suits me nicely; but with reports that the CRFL will cruise along nicely at 60mph.... it would be on a different planet to the M. I would love to go to a dealership and actually look at a 250L, but there aren't many Honda dealerships in Afghanistan!

After reading the thread thoroughly, I am beginning to think this is the sort of bike (albeit with a new seat, windscreen... etc) that could take someone a very long way from home. When I try to talk myself out of buying a 250L, I remember all of the ADV riding that takes place on 125's and smaller. Have I gone completely mad?
viajerosolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 08:39 AM   #1087
Wargasm
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Aug 2012
Location: Saint John, New Brunswick, Canada
Oddometer: 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRFSoCal View Post
Thank you for the info. I'm looking for the least amount of rise but i don't want the width from clamp to clamp to be any bigger. I don't know if highway dirt bikes can custom make top mount widths. The adapters I see move the top clamp bolts over slighty. Like the pro taper ones
The Pro Tapers give about a 1" rise, and you can either mount them to widen the space between the clamps or narrow the space. lots of options with them.
Wargasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 09:05 AM   #1088
PeterS
Loves big headlights...
 
Joined: Sep 2008
Location: Somewhere in Africa
Oddometer: 21
CRFL Long Distance ADV riding?

Quote:
Originally Posted by viajerosolo View Post
New to the forum!

I own a 09 CRFM for now, and it suits me nicely; but with reports that the CRFL will cruise along nicely at 60mph.... it would be on a different planet to the M. I would love to go to a dealership and actually look at a 250L, but there aren't many Honda dealerships in Afghanistan!

After reading the thread thoroughly, I am beginning to think this is the sort of bike (albeit with a new seat, windscreen... etc) that could take someone a very long way from home. When I try to talk myself out of buying a 250L, I remember all of the ADV riding that takes place on 125's and smaller. Have I gone completely mad?
No you are not mad. I was thinking the same....!
Me and my better half are going to make a two year RTW trip starting next year.
We have two big bikes ready to go (transalp and africatwin), but are seriously considering going light with the CRF.
I like the fuel economy and the long service intervals...
PeterS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 09:58 AM   #1089
Harcomo
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Sep 2012
Location: Missouri
Oddometer: 108
Tool kit

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdanks View Post
I just picked up a CRF250L and while going through the bike I was surprised to find that the tool kit consisted of only two hex wrenches and a fuse puller. Is this what everyone else got in their stock tool kit? Or did the dealer forgot to include the whole tool kit with mine?
Nope, your dealer didn't slight you. Honda included that same tool kit here in MO also. When I was in the process of swapping out front sprockets on mine, I asked on here what size the rear axle nut was. A member from Canada replied that most of the tools required for the swap were included in the toolkit. So, obviously the toolkit is included on Canadian sold bikes but two allen wrenches and a fuse puller wasn't gonna cut it here for me! So I guess a toolkit is included in some places, but apparently not in the USA. I guess that's part of why the bike's retail price is only $4499. They had to cut corners somewhere!
Harcomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 12:01 PM   #1090
Lucky62
Dreamer Extraordinaire
 
Joined: Jan 2009
Location: End of the Appalacians
Oddometer: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterS View Post
No you are not mad. I was thinking the same....!
Me and my better half are going to make a two year RTW trip starting next year.
We have two big bikes ready to go (transalp and africatwin), but are seriously considering going light with the CRF.
I like the fuel economy and the long service intervals...
Same here, I replaced my overweight KLR650 with the CRF, and after 600+ miles am looking at a short windshield and better seat for travelling. I've already bought Dirtbagz for it, but may end up with something larger later. I'm thinking for the kind of travelling I LIKE to do (old US Highways) it goes plenty fast, after a pipe and fuel controller it should be as good as the KLR was IMHO......then again, I'm an "old guy"
__________________
If we weren't all crazy we would go insane. (Jimmy Buffett)
Lucky62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 12:47 PM   #1091
4play
Next?
 
4play's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2008
Location: Avondale, AZ
Oddometer: 2,214
I experienced the 250L yesterday for the 1st time. another rider brought one on a particulary rocky ride & the 1st time I picked it up for him I could not believe how stinkin heavy that thing was. It's much harder to pick up than my 600. The second thing I noticed was the HUGE gap between 1st & second. I upshifted to second on a mild rocky up hill & it would not pull second, I had to scream 1st all the way up.
The motor was smooth, I can see this being an OK commuter, but it's a poor excuse for a trail bike. Trim 75 pounds off, fix the gear ratios, add 6th gear & add some dampening to the forks & it could be an OK bike. WTF was Honda thinking?

BTW I rode a 230L a few years ago & thought it was a ball to trail ride on, I'm sure it would not cruise down the hwy as well, but it was far superior to the 250L on trails.
__________________
The older I get, the faster I was

4play screwed with this post 11-25-2012 at 12:54 PM
4play is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 01:18 PM   #1092
GotMojo?
Beastly Adventurer
 
GotMojo?'s Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2004
Oddometer: 4,100
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4play View Post
BTW I rode a 230L a few years ago & thought it was a ball to trail ride on, I'm sure it would not cruise down the hwy as well, but it was far superior to the 250L on trails.
I had a CRF230F a few years ago, which I believe is the non-street legal version of the 230L... and pretty much the same bike. I haven't ridden a new 250L yet, but I find it hard to believe that the older 230L would be a superior trail bike. I'm sure some new 250L owners who've also owned 230's will pipe in and comment, but I just can't believe the NEW bike would be inferior to the old air cooled bike.
GotMojo? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 01:35 PM   #1093
'Flagger
..this space for rent..
 
'Flagger's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2004
Location: Columbus, OH
Oddometer: 2,289
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4play View Post
I experienced the 250L yesterday for the 1st time. another rider brought one on a particulary rocky ride & the 1st time I picked it up for him I could not believe how stinkin heavy that thing was. It's much harder to pick up than my 600. The second thing I noticed was the HUGE gap between 1st & second. I upshifted to second on a mild rocky up hill & it would not pull second, I had to scream 1st all the way up.
The motor was smooth, I can see this being an OK commuter, but it's a poor excuse for a trail bike. Trim 75 pounds off, fix the gear ratios, add 6th gear & add some dampening to the forks & it could be an OK bike. WTF was Honda thinking?

BTW I rode a 230L a few years ago & thought it was a ball to trail ride on, I'm sure it would not cruise down the hwy as well, but it was far superior to the 250L on trails.
Umm ... mine has a sixth gear.
__________________
- B

Proud to be an inmate of AdvRider.
'Flagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 01:42 PM   #1094
4play
Next?
 
4play's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2008
Location: Avondale, AZ
Oddometer: 2,214
The 230L I rode was street legal & was a cool little bike to explore on. I was very disappointed that the 250L is an absolute pig. After riding a WRR & thinking it was a fun little exploration bike I was hoping Honda would do it one better.They did not. A 250 this size should not weigh more than 250lbs full of fuel, this thing had to weigh 325 plus pounds.

I picked it up several times yesterday for the guy that was riding it. I rode it up & down several very rocky sections & like I said, I'm sure it would be a neat little commuter, but it weighs a ton. The WRR I rode a while back was a far superior bike in every way. I may even buy one for a putt, putt explorer. I'm not trying to diss anyone, I was just looking for a place to give an honest evaluation & found this thread.
__________________
The older I get, the faster I was
4play is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 01:45 PM   #1095
STANIMAL
SUPPORT THE SECOND
 
STANIMAL's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2009
Location: Chicago
Oddometer: 2,492
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4play View Post
I experienced the 250L yesterday for the 1st time. another rider brought one on a particulary rocky ride & the 1st time I picked it up for him I could not believe how stinkin heavy that thing was. It's much harder to pick up than my 600. The second thing I noticed was the HUGE gap between 1st & second. I upshifted to second on a mild rocky up hill & it would not pull second, I had to scream 1st all the way up.
The motor was smooth, I can see this being an OK commuter, but it's a poor excuse for a trail bike. Trim 75 pounds off, fix the gear ratios, add 6th gear & add some dampening to the forks & it could be an OK bike. WTF was Honda thinking?

BTW I rode a 230L a few years ago & thought it was a ball to trail ride on, I'm sure it would not cruise down the hwy as well, but it was far superior to the 250L on trails.
Its a six speed bike . You are doing it wrong . You can buy a KTM for $9500 and achieve what you want , but for people who just want to ride , this bike works very well .
__________________
If it don't have tits, spark plugs or gun powder, it don't interest me. ---Moose Dog
If you don't organize your tools, you're a terrible person.---Aghartha
You twatwaffles who enjoy fucking duffelbags full of deer antlers, simply stay out of the thread. ---Hardware02
I'm ignorant, but happy---steyr_scout308
STANIMAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 03:02 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014