Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-25-2012, 11:33 PM   #1126
chozzer
Chozzer

Oddometer: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by viajerosolo View Post
If Clarke or IMS can make some larger fuel tanks, it will be a win for the long distance ADV. My only other concern at this point is the lack of spares when abroad.... the CRFL isn't sold in central or South America yet; they still have the XR250 Tornado. Hope they end up replacing it!
I contacted IMS a while ago and they confirmed they are definitely working on a bigger tank for the CRF. "R&D working on it right now". Clarke said they had no plans as yet.
chozzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 01:19 AM   #1127
PeterS
Loves big headlights...

Oddometer: 25
Quote:
If Clarke or IMS can make some larger fuel tanks, it will be a win for the long distance ADV. My only other concern at this point is the lack of spares when abroad.... the CRFL isn't sold in central or South America yet; they still have the XR250 Tornado. Hope they end up replacing it!
Untill then, DHL,UPS, is the way to go as it is with most overland bikes.
I hope the big tanks come available soon!
Are there allready better sideracks available than the ones at crfsonly?
They look heavy and they only attach to 4 bolts at the end of the subframe.
I would like a rack that spreads the weight by connecting to the pillionpegs (or somewhere near)..
Maybe i'll have something made locally.
PeterS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 10:46 AM   #1128
goondock
Adventurer

Oddometer: 68
Just ordered the Stage 1 Kit from bestdualsports.com now we wait.. I will write a review and take pictures when I get it installed.

I hate waiting
goondock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 11:35 AM   #1129
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 17,682
Quote:
of course it goes other ways like the air-cooled & FI XRE300 in Brazil
http://www4.honda.com.br/hondaxre300/#/home
which was designed to replace the tornada (xr250) and the nx4 falcon (xr400)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honda_XRE300

rest assured there are plenty of US ADV riders that would love to be able to buy a today an electric start xr400 for rock solid ADV touring reliability. i spent some time on one in mexico and it was the perfect go everywhere bike. http://www.pontolegal.com/wp-content...n-imagem-5.jpg

then of course north america has this for sale http://www.yamaha-motor.com.mx/xt660tenere.html ... mexico but NOT the US.

the grass is not always greener.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Butler Maps website:
http://www.butlermaps.com

eakins screwed with this post 11-26-2012 at 11:41 AM
eakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 12:08 PM   #1130
Ed@Ford
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,451
Read closely about the 300...it's available with ABS!!
Ed@Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 12:55 PM   #1131
DirtyBlackIrish
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 151
Funny how just because people have an opinion they feel a need to validate it. Even when it's in the wrong forum. Hahahahahaha
Old 11-26-2012, 02:22 PM   #1132
billfires
Adventurer

Oddometer: 36
Can someone that has a full toolkit (not the 2 hex keys, fuse puller and rolled up foam) please post a photo of it? I can't believe Honda thinks this is adequate. Thanks, Bill C
billfires is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 02:47 PM   #1133
MrFurious
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 704
Quote:
Originally Posted by billfires View Post
Can someone that has a full toolkit (not the 2 hex keys, fuse puller and rolled up foam) please post a photo of it? I can't believe Honda thinks this is adequate. Thanks, Bill C
They simplified the U.S. tool kit to save weight as everyone was bitching about how porky the CRF250L was before they even started shipping them here.

MrFurious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 02:47 PM   #1134
Guerillah
Adventurer

Oddometer: 97
Quote:
10mm, 12mm, 19mm, and 24mm socket along with the two different sized allen keys and phillips screw driver is all I have had to use so far on the bike.
Guerillah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 02:47 PM   #1135
'Flagger
..this space for rent..

Oddometer: 2,320
Quote:
To clarify... it's not "Honda Motor Company" that thinks this toolkit is adequate. .. it's "American Honda Motor" that is trying to minimize their cost. Think California and it all becomes much clearer.

For me, this toolkit is not that big of a deal. I've never relied on anyone's OEM toolkit. They'll never have all the tools needed to cover all of the trailside repairs you'll need to make. Invest in a well-planned toolkit and you'll never worry about OEM tools again.

Proud to be an inmate of AdvRider.
'Flagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 02:56 PM   #1136
Ed@Ford
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,451
But didn't someone post a picture?....or was it a non-USA bike? The only important tool is the spark plug tool because the relief around the plug in the head is very skimpy and you need an extremely thin wall socket
Ed@Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 03:16 PM   #1137
Guerillah
Adventurer

Thumb

Honda CRF250L by Guerillah, on Flickr

Took her out on the trail this weekend with my buddy on his XR600. Traveled about 50 miles in a mix of sand, dirt, silt, rock, gravel, etc and she had no problem keeping up. No problems with the aftermarket exhaust or programmer, she purred like a kitten. Had a few lay overs since i'm somewhat new to the offroading thing but I am learning fast and can't wait to take her out again. Comments from the XR600 owner after riding my bike were "Im jealous, its so smooth, I want one." I rode his XR600 and it definitely has a ton more torque at any RPM, but honestly I kind of like the strung out personality of the CRF (where you can't lug it, it must be revved), its just more fun... not to mention tons less vibration to the hands/arms. All in all... a good day!

Guerillah screwed with this post 11-26-2012 at 04:04 PM
Old 11-26-2012, 04:51 PM   #1138
Harcomo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 110
Good to see everything is working out for you Guerillah! Did the FMF Q4 and the Megabomb mount up with no hassles? I hope to have that same exhaust system on mine sometime in the future.
Also, I see you have done the rear fender "bob" job since the last photo. I did that recently and like the look much better. Plus, it rids the bike of all the reflectors and the metal license plate mounting bracket. A cool upgrade IMO and the cost is exactly nothing!
Keep the ride reports coming in.
Harcomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 05:07 PM   #1139
Guerillah
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harcomo View Post
Good to see everything is working out for you Guerillah! Did the FMF Q4 and the Megabomb mount up with no hassles? I hope to have that same exhaust system on mine sometime in the future.
Also, I see you have done the rear fender "bob" job since the last photo. I did that recently and like the look much better. Plus, it rids the bike of all the reflectors and the metal license plate mounting bracket. A cool upgrade IMO and the cost is exactly nothing!
Keep the ride reports coming in.
Harcomo,

The Q4 and MegaBomb were super easy to install, it took less than 30 minutes to install both. They come with everything necessary, the muffler includes a bracket so that you can still use the white plastic shield (you ditch the black shield that is normally underneath it in stock configuration). The fuel programmer install was easy as well, I have large hands and was still able to get to the fuel injector plug without having to lift the tank.

Yep, since the last picture the only thing i've changed is chopping the license plate mount... literally took 5 minutes! It does a nice job of cleaning up the rear end like you said. In case anyone doesn't have a dremel, you can buy some roto zip bits for cheap which allow you to cut horizontally with a normal drill. http://www.rotozip.com/en-us/Pages/C...?pid=5040_5039

Next time i'll take pics on the trail, forgot my camera!

Cheers
Old 11-26-2012, 05:34 PM   #1140
D.T.
One wheel wonder...

Oddometer: 9,788
I sat on one a few weeks ago. Looks sharp!
D.T. is online now   Reply With Quote