Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > GS Boxers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-04-2012, 07:46 PM   #16
Japanviking
Adventurer

Oddometer: 82
I enjoyed reading this. Felt like I could have written it as your impression is same as mine. Woops are scary....never know where the front end might end up.
I see it like a tractor, it will handle rough terrain but at much lower speeds. A bit scary how you need to ride straight over an thru everything since it doesn't work to lift/unload the front with throttle input. I guess the telever front makes this much harder.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sflash868 View Post
This past weekend, I visited my in laws in Idaho. My bike had been there from a previous trip, just haven't shipped it back to NY yet. So I decided to get one last ride in before going on the truck. First, roads/trails are awesome just about everywhere else but NY. Was fantastic riding. Anyway, I decided to scratch the itch and finally go off road with the 2005 1200 GS. I don't mean the off road like I cruised down a graded gravel road type deal like the Dempster or your local forest road... I'm mean deep sand, whoops, hill climbs, single track etc. After 2 hours of riding I thought I would share my thoughts and maybe get some advice. FYI: bike is stock except for Wunderlich vario screen and Heidenau k60s.

1. The look on the faces of all the guys on 2 strokes, Hondas and quads in the parking lot when I went down the trail on a GS is alone worth doing it.

2. Forget sitting. On my dirt bike I can squeak by sitting in between rough spots.. not on the GS. You need to be on those pegs 24/7.

3. Don't be afraid of sand. Surprisingly it's so heavy it just plows straight through. I didn't get the side to side float I get on my DRZ. I was doing probably 5K in second gear when going through sand. I was ready for the front to wash any second but it was straight and true. The power is a big advantage here

4. It will climb anything. Enough speed and power and that engine will lug you up anything. The weight keeps the front end from lifting so you can use all the power you want.

5. Woops.. are a nightmare. There was no way I could figure out how to float over the top like you normally would on a dirt bike. If I tried to lift the front end over to the next woop.. I would give it throttle and it would just spin the rear and I'd end up plowing into the face of the next woop. you need to ride in them i guess.. can't float along the top. Any suggestions here? Tried hitting them at just a higher speed and it simply felt abusive on the bike.

6. going down hill in loose dirt/sand is terrifying. Yes the ABS was off but oh my god that thing will not stop. I have decent balance but when all that weight shifts forward the rear locks up with just the slightest application of brake and the front locks and pushes everywhere. I went down most hills with both wheels locked up trying to keep balance.

7. Planting your foot into a tight corner and "pivoting around" is a bad idea. don't lean the bike that far over.. front tried to wash every time

8. Wheels on the ground.. jumped off some small berms.. whoa does she land hard. I've seen photos on ADVrider of guys like 5 feet in the air.. I would like to see the aftermath photo of the landing.. I bottomed so hard it sheared off the skid plate and I was probably like 6 inches off the ground (felt like I was 200 feet in the air though)

9. rocks.. this is where I really felt the suspension limitations. I REALLY had to drop the speed and first gear it over rocks in the trail. A dirt bike I would have slammed into it and figured the rest out later.

Finally. I'm incredibly impressed. That bike went everywhere the dirt bikes did and it was fun. The fun was not from the speed but more from the strategy and challenge that went into keeping it moving through everything. I went slower.. yes but I covered the same terrain as the rest of my group and when the sand was hard packed.. oh man all 100 horses came out.. :) I never dropped the bike but damage:
skid plate was ripped off - who make a plate that doesn't use the factory mounts.. altrider?
every windshield bolt came loose- fine locktite and try again
suspension now creaks- I have 40K on the stock suspension.. does anyone have feedback on ohlins, hyperpro etc under similar conditions and their reliability... not really looking for a brand analysis but more so abuse on stock components vs aftermarket.

Thanks
Old 09-04-2012, 07:55 PM   #17
Wdwrkr
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,731
Quote:
You know what's the worst... I had my Contour in the car. I wish I brought it. So funny thing... I get on this trail and get into a groove.. and I'm going and going not really paying attention to my surroundings other than what's right in front of the GS. Finally, I stop and nobody is around me. Now as a New Yorker, I've noticed this knack that people out west have... they automatically know, somehow, whether they are on BLM land, private land, or a ranchers land, city land or whatever land. Like no signs or fences, they just somehow know. Well I don't I have said ability.

I pull over next to a sand embankment and shut the GS off but I hear this rattle. I immediately think I broke something. I'm going around the bike like mad trying to find it. It's getting louder and louder so I start thinking something is building pressure and is about to blow or something. Finally I decide to take a step back and see if I notice anything obvious. Well I finally look up over the sand embankment and I'm staring face to face with an Abrams Tank. Apparently I had wandered onto the service road the military takes out to their tank range or whatever it's called.

It's not like guys in the tank stopped to chat but do you have any idea how badly I wanted a photo with the GS next to a tank in the middle of the desert so I could finally make it onto that damn Advrider photo slide!

Now that's some funny shite right there, bet you needed some new pants after that
Wdwrkr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 05:44 AM   #18
jmatt3685
Adventurer

Oddometer: 35
Tires for the sand?

Quote:
3. Don't be afraid of sand. Surprisingly it's so heavy it just plows straight through. I didn't get the side to side float I get on my DRZ. I was doing probably 5K in second gear when going through sand. I was ready for the front to wash any second but it was straight and true. The power is a big advantage here

4. It will climb anything. Enough speed and power and that engine will lug you up anything. The weight keeps the front end from lifting so you can use all the power you want.
I was just out the beach this weekend in my friend's truck and the sand was pretty loose and fluffy. I would have loved to rode my GS out but I wasn't sure she'd be able to get through all the sand. I've Conti Trail Attacks on her... do I HAVE to have knobbies???
jmatt3685 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 05:51 AM   #19
ohgood
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,176
sflash868 - Congrats, sounds like a blast!

I thought big bikes were for cruising, until a local guy on a 950 SMOKE ME AND MY ASSUMPTIONS on fire roads, pave, and double track. I could not keep on on my drz, the skill level difference was absurd.

annnnnnnd I recorded....950 enters at 1:01

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R7CRABIQ6rc
Old 09-23-2013, 10:22 PM   #20
The_Precious_Juice
Two pump chump

Oddometer: 1,253
Question How long to be perform like the following video

I searched around to find some info on how long to get profiecent while on the prefered domain of the 2013 GSA, the forest service road.

Being of average strength of a 34 y/o male, and having good core strength, 5'-8" (164lbs)and about average atheletic, how long would it take to perform like the rider on in the video?

Assuming, the bike does not land in a odd spot, I'm confident to lift her up. I can dead lift 320lbs (just do one rep).

I believe a used 2012 GSA, or a left over 2013 GSA has great value as an North American Adventure Touring vehicle.

I'd only have about a month after buying the bike before hitting the road.

I"ve not ridden in over 13 years. and Nothing off-road.
However, I do byciclye around town.

From what I've researched, the bike looks like it is gold when centered.

Here is the video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Tt_0CzXRRo

There are a couple of light jumps, I'm not interested in those.

Thanks for reading.

The_Precious_Juice screwed with this post 09-23-2013 at 10:34 PM
The_Precious_Juice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 10:45 PM   #21
Hikertrash
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,662
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Precious_Juice View Post
I searched around to find some info on how long to get profiecent while on the prefered domain of the 2013 GSA, the forest service road.

Being of average strength of a 34 y/o male, and having good core strength, 5'-8" (164lbs)and about average atheletic, how long would it take to perform like the rider on in the video?

Assuming, the bike does not land in a odd spot, I'm confident to lift her up. I can dead lift 320lbs (just do one rep).

I believe a used 2012 GSA, or a left over 2013 GSA has great value as an North American Adventure Touring vehicle.

I'd only have about a month after buying the bike before hitting the road.

I"ve not ridden in over 13 years. and Nothing off-road.
However, I do byciclye around town.

From what I've researched, the bike looks like it is gold when centered.

Here is the video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Tt_0CzXRRo

There are a couple of light jumps, I'm not interested in those.

Thanks for reading.
That's just basic stuff you can learn in a day. Not sure how far Rawhyde is from you, but it would be money well spent to learn how to really ride this beast offroad.
Hikertrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 04:32 PM   #22
The_Precious_Juice
Two pump chump

Oddometer: 1,253
Thanks for the feedback.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hikertrash View Post
That's just basic stuff you can learn in a day. Not sure how far Rawhyde is from you, but it would be money well spent to learn how to really ride this beast offroad.

Thanks for the feedback!! It's good to know that I should be ok with 30 days of training.

I'll be on the East Coast, so I'll miss out on the Rawhyde training.
I watched this video. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4-3E2z8PbXg Looks like a great investment.

Thanks again.
The_Precious_Juice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 05:09 PM   #23
Neal J Hinerman
Adventurer

Oddometer: 30
@ The Precious Juice:

Take a look at this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Re2A9UJzSBw

It offers the longest RawHyde clip I've seen to date. Just find some dirt, set up a few cones to maneuver around, and you will be on your way to lock-to-lock figure eights in no time.

It also offers a better way to pick it up at the 1:10:33 mark.
Old 09-24-2013, 05:24 PM   #24
kbroderick
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 994
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Precious_Juice View Post
Thanks for the feedback!! It's good to know that I should be ok with 30 days of training.

I'll be on the East Coast, so I'll miss out on the Rawhyde training.
I watched this video. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4-3E2z8PbXg Looks like a great investment.

Thanks again.
There's also the BMW Performance Center in South Carolina (and occasionally special events like the MaxBMW-sponsored offroad classes at Hunter Mountain, taught by a BMW instructor). I'd highly recommend the class...I think I may have saved some money on parts if I had taken it sooner.

(I did the Max-sponsored class; the BMW center is more money, but you can use their bikes, which I'd have generally preferred.)
kbroderick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 05:34 PM   #25
hammick
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,352
Quote:
I don't mean the off road like I cruised down a graded gravel road type deal like the Dempster or your local forest road...
Brother the Dempster is anything but your local forest road.
hammick is offline   Reply With Quote