Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-23-2014, 11:25 AM   #1
Leo.G OP
Is still learning

Oddometer: 368
Upgrading an on/off bike's headlight...

Hi mates!

I write to you today so as to have some more opinions about what I'm willing to do in a short time...

The bike headlight looks like this from stock.. (That's an actual picture of my bike)

The stock bulb is a H4 35/35w, I swapped it for a 55/60w ("xenon effect") and it certainly improves, but isn't enough for night riding...

About night riding.. I know it is better to ride with daylight and all.. but as many of you may have experienced.. There is always something that delays you and sometimes you have to do part of the planned ride at night...

The most of my riding is on road so my worry is about having good light to see on the routes and also to be seen...
With the stock headlight and the 55/60w bulb I get seen by other people, but I don't see much... (and also have been in some trouble that scared me a little because of that)

So well, enough talking about the bike, now.. the plan of upgrading the headlight would be something like this.. (The headlight cowl will be gone, and I'll see if I make some kind of mask or just leave the round headlight naked). The plan is to put a bixenon projector in the big round headlight and a H3 35w aux light would be the small one in the right. And also putting a low fender so as to get the most of the light output.

A link to the projector sale..
http://articulo.mercadolibre.com.ar/...M#questionText

About just putting a bixenon kit in the stock headlight, I think would be brighter but it wouldn't open in a good big pattern just because the headlight's size.

Well that's the actual idea...
Hope to have some inputs about it and tell me if I'm wrong with something or I could do better with another option or something.

The idea is to have this projector and to keep it if I have to sell the bike and possibly use it in another one and so... Not to mod anything from the stock cowl or fender, so as to store them till I have to sell the bike.

Thanks for reading!
And thanks in advance for the answers.

Leo.G screwed with this post 07-23-2014 at 05:11 PM
Leo.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 07:06 PM   #2
4play
Next?

Oddometer: 2,412
You could do something like this:

The backside;

That's two ADVmonster 60's. 3600 lumens each, 56w total. With the rotary dimmer it doesn't seem to bother anyone on the road & the night vision is excellent. Trail riding people see me WAY before they see the bike.
Old 08-18-2014, 06:51 PM   #3
NorthernTraveler
Long time Adventurer

Oddometer: 409
Power limitations

Keep in mind how much power your bike puts out.

You can easily over load the stator and burn it out.

Just sayin'.... and don't ask me how I know!
NorthernTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 07:01 PM   #4
4play
Next?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthernTraveler View Post
Keep in mind how much power your bike puts out.

You can easily over load the stator and burn it out.

Just sayin'.... and don't ask me how I know!
Almost all motorcycles use a shunt style regulator, the stators run WFO all the time with the regulator shorting out the excess to maintain ~14 volts.
Your logic is flawed, Just saying
Old 08-18-2014, 07:54 PM   #5
k-moe
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,541
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4play View Post
Almost all motorcycles use a shunt style regulator, the stators run WFO all the time with the regulator shorting out the excess to maintain ~14 volts.
Your logic is flawed, Just saying
You can easily fry a stator by drawing too many amps. Just saying.

P = V I
Old 08-18-2014, 10:08 PM   #6
4play
Next?

Quote:
Originally Posted by k-moe View Post
You can easily fry a stator by drawing too many amps. Just saying.

P = V I

A permanent magnet alternator is running WFO all the time. If there is no demand a shunt type regulator grounds the output, a direct short of the output. You are not going to hurt it with too big of a bulb.

An alternator with load coils instead of permanent magnets like on a car is a different story.
Old 08-20-2014, 06:29 PM   #7
k-moe
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,541
Applying current loads that exceed the rated output of ANY alternator WILL cause the windings to heat up excessively and WILL eventually damage the alternator. How fast that happens depends on how much the current demand overage is, how well the alternator is cooled, and how often the overage is applied.

For illustration; 20 amp (rated) alternator will not be happy when it's being asked to supply 30 amps.

Then there's the associated risk of overloading the rated capacity of the wiring.

Any electrical changes must fall within the rated parameters of the entire system, or a fella is going to get himself one or more of: constantly blown fuses, a damaged part, stranded after dark without a working headlight, or an electrical fire.

k-moe screwed with this post 08-20-2014 at 06:37 PM
k-moe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 08:48 PM   #8
DavisWelding
Banned

Oddometer: 846
A bit heavy but you will see everything! Dual 4" HID, 35w each (one euro beam and one spot beam)

DavisWelding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 05:53 AM   #9
Leo.G OP
Is still learning

Thanks for the inputs!

I'm in a little problem here just because of the money...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavisWelding View Post
A bit heavy but you will see everything! Dual 4" HID, 35w each (one euro beam and one spot beam)

But just in case, how much would a pair of those headlights be? Are they street legal?

The idea now is to do this.. (cell phone pic)

Just take the stock fender down, but not so much, and put a round headlight without any projector, with the option of putting a xenon equipment in the future or not...

The reason for not taking the fender really low, almost touching the wheel like street bikes or like the big trail bikes use to have is because I live in an area that is a little humid, and we have at least 3 or 4 weeks of damp weather, or rain, and also the streets in my neigborhood aren't paved (you can imagine how they get after 2 rainy days). And well, I don't want to block my front wheel then.. heh.

Thanks again!
I haven't thought I would get so many answers for this!
Old 08-26-2014, 08:39 AM   #10
Bronco638
Nobody Home

Oddometer: 3,712
Hey Leo!

How about this:

That's my 2002 XR250R which should be the same thing as your Tornado (or pretty close).

I like 4Play's idea, too. He appears to be using the same lights as the low one in my fairing.

Andy holds the lead. And he will, all the way to the Highway. Today is his day.
Bronco638 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 07:44 PM   #11
Leo.G OP
Is still learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronco638 View Post
Hey Leo!

How about this:

That's my 2002 XR250R which should be the same thing as your Tornado (or pretty close).

I like 4Play's idea, too. He appears to be using the same lights as the low one in my fairing.
Thanks dave!
Sorry for my delay answering
It's more or less the same, but with a different engine, yours is the classic RFVC, isn't it? Mine is more similar to the XL 250 Degree or the NX 250 (But oil cooled instead of water cooled)

It's a really nice set up that one with leds and the fairing.. but I have two questions...
How much does something like that cost?
Is the pattern of the lights road legal or off road only?
Old 09-04-2014, 07:44 AM   #12
Bronco638
Nobody Home

Oddometer: 3,712
Yes Leo, RFVC engine.

The entire fairing set-up is going to be just north of $300 (not cheap). That's $170 for the fairing, $120 for the lights and you'll need a controller, too. The LEDs are not approved for street use but I've been using them to commute. The low beam (Model 44 Flood) is pretty tame. The high beam (Model 30 Spot) is very bright. I don't ride at night much so I haven't had any trouble with cars being blinded or law enforcement pulling me over.

Andy holds the lead. And he will, all the way to the Highway. Today is his day.
Bronco638 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 01:19 PM   #13
DavisWelding
Banned

Oddometer: 846
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo.G View Post
Thanks for the inputs!

I'm in a little problem here just because of the money...

But just in case, how much would a pair of those headlights be? Are they street legal?

The idea now is to do this.. (cell phone pic)

Just take the stock fender down, but not so much, and put a round headlight without any projector, with the option of putting a xenon equipment in the future or not...

The reason for not taking the fender really low, almost touching the wheel like street bikes or like the big trail bikes use to have is because I live in an area that is a little humid, and we have at least 3 or 4 weeks of damp weather, or rain, and also the streets in my neigborhood aren't paved (you can imagine how they get after 2 rainy days). And well, I don't want to block my front wheel then.. heh.

Thanks again!
I haven't thought I would get so many answers for this!

Those 4" HIDs are $100 each but I have been looking in to the 4" LEDs on ebayand they are about $60 each, half the watts required to run them but just as many lumens. The LEDs I was lookinh at are AC/DC up to 35v. I'll see if I can find them again!
DavisWelding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 07:47 AM   #14
johnson
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 150
johnson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 07:04 PM   #15
clintnz
Trans-Global Chook Chaser

Oddometer: 3,367
Hi Mate, did you see my 7" headlight setup build in the main garage section: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1003545

Low $, high output

Cheers
Clint

The wilderness, the desert - why are they not crowded
.................................................. .....with pilgrims?
clintnz is offline   Reply With Quote