Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Some Assembly Required
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-13-2013, 09:27 PM   #571
Luke OP
GPoET&P

Oddometer: 4,076
Minor happenings on the CB. I wore out the back tire, so it's time for new shoes. These should last a little longer, and I have another set of wheels with dirt tires on them anyway. I spent a fortune on tires for mexico, so now I'm using them. Rick's SL got one of the front tires, my Husky 250 got a set today, and the WR200 got the front mousse from the CB and the front tire that was going to go on the Husky.

In addition to the tires, I did a little work on the CB's handling. At Hells Canyon, HellsAlien was asking me how it handled, I said I though it was working but needed a little help. He asked if I let go of the handle bars did it track straight? I had no idea.

So I tried it. Sure enough, it pulls to the left. So I tried fixing it. First was changing the angle of the rear axle, using the cam snails. Mainly because this was easiest to do. It only made a tiny difference, even at a really extreme angle. Next up was the offset of the rear wheel. The swingarm is too wide for the rear hub, which makes this really easy. I swapped around some washers that were being used as spacers to move the wheel over about a quarter inch. This made a big difference, I'd guess the problem was about half as bad. Unfortunately I can't move the wheel over much more, and it's definitely not right, close to rubbing the swingarm and visibly off from the center of the motor. The only other thing is to move the front wheel, which is a lot harder. So I'll think about it for a while before doing anything drastic.

Luke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 12:55 PM   #572
edjo69
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 261
Great thread, sometimes its nice to find a finished, or mostly finished build thread so you can read the whole story in a day or two and not have to wait for updates!!! Thanx for this great build thread, it also alowed me to find the Suby build thread that I am starting next, great stuff...Ed
Old 08-26-2014, 03:04 PM   #573
KenBB
Adventurer

Oddometer: 17
Hi Guys,

Ken from BikeBuilds.net here. Nice bike!

We were glad to add Luke's bike to our directory: http://www.bikebuilds.net/honda-cb-d...-build-by-luke

If anyone would like to have a build of their own listed, just send me a message with a link to the build thread and we'll take care of the rest.

Ken
KenBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 10:54 PM   #574
sraber
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 262
Luke, I am so inspired by your passion and skills. I spent two days reading this thread and the comradery of all the participants kept me riveted. Thank you all.
sraber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 07:43 AM   #575
big-boss
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 163
8ft Light Bulb

If you have an 8ft light bulb around:
Straighten up the bike.
Hold the bulb along the back tires and shoot it to the front.

This is an old quick and dirty trick to find the problem- get you started and only takes a second to do.
big-boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 04:13 PM   #576
Scott_PDX
Leisure Engineer

Oddometer: 2,802
Quote:
Originally Posted by big-boss View Post
If you have an 8ft light bulb around:
Straighten up the bike.
Hold the bulb along the back tires and shoot it to the front.

This is an old quick and dirty trick to find the problem- get you started and only takes a second to do.
Nice tip, but I think Luke had a year since that post to figure it out.

My MotovLog (Youtube Videos): http://www.youtube.com/user/scottb572/videos

Where Am I via SPOT (Code SCT): http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=719703
Scott_PDX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2014, 09:45 PM   #577
Luke OP
GPoET&P

Oddometer: 4,076
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott_PDX View Post
Nice tip, but I think Luke had a year since that post to figure it out.
I have had a year. And I'm ashamed to admit that I haven't done anything to the bike since.

Well, not anything constructive, anyway. I did ride it in the Desert 100 again, destroying the mufflers and points cover. But I got a t-shirt, that's a good trade.

Luke is offline   Reply With Quote