User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-06-2012, 08:51 AM   #1
mrbreeze OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,347
V-Stars and Viragos let's see them

I don't think there has been a thread dedicated to V-Stars and Viragos. My wife had a Virago 750 once upon a time. I really liked that bike. Still see a few on the road. I am currently interested in the 1300 Tourer.

Let's see your Yama-cruiser and hear your opinions of the bikes...

Travels with Maw Maw
mrbreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 11:44 AM   #2
kraven
Hegelian Scum

Oddometer: 4,769
werd

Old 09-07-2012, 05:18 AM   #3
2tallnwide
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,352
First cruiser I ever owned, and only Virago. Bought it new in '83....

920 Midnight Virago....

My wife loved her 535 Virago.....

Next to the Victory Cross Country, the Yamaha Stratoliner is my favorite cruiser out right now...came close to pulling the trigger on this one, but still prefer an adventure touring bike for the riding I do these days...

If I was going to buy a new motorcycle right now it would probably be this Yamaha...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zBkh6lrOfT4

2tallnwide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 07:08 PM   #4
Pezz_gs
Cant ride for crap

Oddometer: 3,719
I just picked up the XVS1100 for a steal, once I get some k's on it I will let you know

Really happy with the brakes, aircooled engine, carbies and easy of servicing. rides very light too.

Pezz_gs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 02:59 PM   #5
Bones750
Adventurer

Oddometer: 74
I've had an '11 1300 Tourer for about a 14 months now and have been really happy with it. Wasn't what I was setting out to get in a road bike but the wife really wanted to ride with me. Wasn't sure she would really like riding so I wanted to get something that wouldn't break the bank. It has been very satisfactory and she really likes it (a BIG plus) and a nice "other end of the spectrum" ride from my dual sport (Honda CRF230L) . It has been a win/win all the way around......course it has cost some coin as I've changed out the exhaust, airbox, added an aftermarket fuel management computer, etc. etc. But then again, don't we do that with every bike?
Bones750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 05:12 PM   #6
Drufus
Adventurer

Oddometer: 36
My first bike was an 81 750 virago. I bought it from my cousin who hadn;t ridden it in 15 years. I resurrected it, and this bike taught me how to turn a wrench as i had to make a few repairs over the years. It was a nice bike to cruise around town in as long as I didn't take it on the highway. It just didn;t have enough power at speeds over 50 be to a comfortable highway bike.
Drufus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 06:44 PM   #7
Bogfarth
MOTGATT on a Yamahog

Oddometer: 174
Wink 650 Custom

Bought my 2001 650 Custom last year, and she's been teaching me the ways of road and wrench ever since! It's fun learning to both ride and fix this bike. Definitely worth the sunburns, barked knuckles, and hours spent scratching my scalp wondering just how the hell that gets fixed. The clutch, especially, is a real trick for a new rider. Sensitive, with nearly zero friction zone and it's all out at the end of the lever's travel. A Clevver helped, but it's still a learning experience. My first 16 miles were bringing it home. The next five miles were all in a parking lot, learning to work that clutch.

So far, this V-Star is living up to my expectations. It's maneuverable, but not darty. Has plenty of power to give a new rider a good thrill, but not a scare. The brakes will make you stop rightthefucknow as long as the pads have meat on 'em. Fixing it is, for the most part, simple. There's a lot of stuff to strip before you get at the valves, though. As long as you remember to keep the pilot jets clear (Sea Foam) and lube the splines with every tire change, it's a lifetime bike. Gas, oil, swap the filter every other oil change, and go.

When parts do break, they're easy to get at and straight-forward to fix. Except the pick-up coil and neutral switch. The pick-up coil likes to kill itself, and you'll fight a war with that bastard's bolts to get it out. The neutral switch just needs a little O-ring, and a Chinese gymnast to reach it. They're just character quirks, really. On the road, it's a great little cruiser that will do most of what you ask it. Four honest gallons and 38-42mpg will take you to some fun places.
Old 09-10-2012, 08:46 AM   #8
mrbreeze OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,347
I am leaning real hard toward the 1300 Tourer. I like the looks, and it weighs less than the bigger bikes and has a bigger tank and better gas mileage. And if Mrs B will ride it, so much the better. She sat on one in a showroom and said she liked it.

Travels with Maw Maw
mrbreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 12:15 PM   #9
bk brkr baker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,392
Cool , another chance to show my , not a Virago , but it sort of is. 1981 XV920 , beaten with the ADV stick.

bk brkr baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 11:10 PM   #10
MoreCheese
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 169
I have a 2002 V-Star 650, it's not the newer 1300 but I can tell you a few good and bad things about my bike.

+ Looks good
Easy to ride
Great sound
Torque on demand
No computers or catalytic converters
Pretty good suspension for bumpy roads
Decent power for one 150 pound rider (at least after modifying the intake, carb and exhaust a little)
Loves to cruise at 70-80 mph
Super easy to check / change the spark plugs and air filter

- Needs a windscreen or my back hurts
Finding a the right windscreen that doesn't buffet much and has good coverage
Not all that great with two people
Not a massive amount of power for getting around lots of vehicles on hilly, curvy roads
No huge top speed to outrun trouble
Not a great corner carver
Not good for any road much worse than a gravel road

Overall the bike is fine for me except when i try to ride it at anything greater than a 6/10ths pace. As in if I try to ride at 7-10 tenths pace (1 being slow, 10 being a race track winner) the bike disappoints. I suppose it is supposed to be a cruiser and not a sportbike but it is every kind of bike to me as I only own one bike.

Great county road exploring bike:

Not so great woods bike:
MoreCheese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 07:51 AM   #11
schlitz
the slow one

Oddometer: 107
My 535

Old 09-14-2012, 06:32 PM   #12
ALinUTAH
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 616
My 2007 VStar 1100. I've been all over the country on it, a lot of it with wifey on the back, turned over 50k miles this summer. I have an ADV sticker on the windshield, just to aggravate the haters. -al

ALinUTAH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 07:20 PM   #13
Morganski
Adventurer

Oddometer: 19
Mine the day I brought it home after an 18 year stint in the corner of a garage:

After two months of wrenching and a couple months of riding:

1982 XV920R

I dig it. I get a bit of buffeting from the windscreen at highway speeds so I have removed it for the moment.

Hey BikeBreakerBaker, how do you like your windscreen? Mine seems a little short. Or maybe too tall. But definitely NOT just right.......

Morganski screwed with this post 09-16-2012 at 07:34 PM
Morganski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 10:07 PM   #14
Snapping Twig
Adventurer

Oddometer: 58
Here's mine, it's an 85 700.

I got it as a hand-me-down. FIL bought it in 85, it passed to his son, he rode it hard and put it away wet, then I got it and gave it the TLC the old girl deserved.

She got all new shiny bits, a Mustang seat, new suspension - WORKS in the rear and RaceTech valves and springs in the front. New windscreen, 8ga ground wire, sync'd the carbs, did the valves, new Metzler 880's, '96 vented front discs, stainless brake lines, new handlebars, clutch lever, stator, RR, and on and on.

Sold her a few months back and I do miss her.
Snapping Twig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 05:33 PM   #15
Drufus
Adventurer

Oddometer: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapping Twig View Post
Here's mine, it's an 85 700.

I got it as a hand-me-down. FIL bought it in 85, it passed to his son, he rode it hard and put it away wet, then I got it and gave it the TLC the old girl deserved.

She got all new shiny bits, a Mustang seat, new suspension - WORKS in the rear and RaceTech valves and springs in the front. New windscreen, 8ga ground wire, sync'd the carbs, did the valves, new Metzler 880's, '96 vented front discs, stainless brake lines, new handlebars, clutch lever, stator, RR, and on and on.

Sold her a few months back and I do miss her.
I think that that style 700/750/1000 Virago is one of the best looking cruisers ever.
Drufus is offline   Reply With Quote