ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-06-2012, 02:26 PM   #1
TheRoss OP
IBA, BMWMOA

Oddometer: 297
Route Ideas - LA to Texas - JANUARY

I have a conference in LA this coming January, and I'm going to ride there. LA is 1100 miles from my hometown, which I can do in a day, on Saturday, to sleep late Sunday and then get to the shin dig. I'm free Wednesday morning and have Wed-Sun to ride home.

I don't want to come straight home, and am looking for ride ideas to occupy a few days. Keep in mind this is mid-January. I-40 through Flagstaff might not be doable, meaning I would have to run I-10 home.

Considering January weather, could I go visit Death Valley? Yosemite? Anything else in California I should consider as I leave LA heading east?

1000 miles to Cabo each way. Has an appeal, but to make it home by Sunday night, that would be a lot of riding. I'm comfortable going through Baja, but wouldn't ferry over to mainland Mexico these days. Maybe you know a cool place halfway down Baja?

Anything in Arizona I shouldn't miss.... keeping in mind the possibility of Flagstaff snow and all.

Other ideas? Must-see places?

THANKS!

TheRoss screwed with this post 09-06-2012 at 02:48 PM
TheRoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 03:36 PM   #2
tbarstow
Two-wheelin' Fool

Oddometer: 2,937
You'll need to have a few routes, as weather out here changes with elevation. Rain down low turns into snow as you climb.

If you head into Baja, hit up Mulege. Very cool town.

Death Valley should be OK, but the passes getting in and out will be weather dependent. Lots of Yosemite will be closed due to snow.

Dress for cold and possibly wet. Enjoy your ride!
tbarstow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 09:20 PM   #3
Fishyhead
Eremikophobic

Oddometer: 3,086
Yosemite may be difficult to do on a bike in January. I have a trade show I go to twice a year in Dallas an am interested in seeing your route suggestions. Lord knows I've wanted to ride out there.
Old 09-07-2012, 07:25 AM   #4
TUCKERS
the famous james

Oddometer: 11,106
I tried to follow the USA border road all the way east from outside San Diego to El Paso. It's quite interesting. Very secluded. You have to jump on the 8 in places. Route 85 @ Buckeye, 10 then 80 @ Benson. After Benton/Bisbee/Douglas I think it's route 9.
I just looked at a map and took the roads most southern heading east. I did not go into mainland Mexico as I didn't have my passport with me. I did see Mexico!, and lots of Border Patrol...lots.

Aut viam inveniam aut faciam

DMV paperwork/room rental/motorbike/vehicle buying/Travelers help
TUCKERS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 07:42 AM   #5
TheRoss OP
IBA, BMWMOA

Thanks for the weather advice guys!

Anyone else have ideas?

TUCKERS - I did the Coast to Coast a couple years ago, taking I-8 and 10 east until jumping on I-20 in Texas. It IS an interesting ride. Since I have done that, I'm looking for more state highways and back roads for this one.

Old 09-07-2012, 08:15 AM   #6
AZ TOM
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,215
Depending on the weather & you might just luck out, take the 10 east to the AZ 60. E to 71 N to 89. N 89 through Prescott to 89A, up & over Jerome. Down & east on 260. E on the 60 SpringerVille to Socorro. S on 25, & E on 380 to Roswell, up to Lubbock & your back. I have done this ride a few times & it's a favorite.
AZ TOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 04:50 PM   #7
TheRoss OP
IBA, BMWMOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ TOM View Post
Depending on the weather & you might just luck out, take the 10 east to the AZ 60. E to 71 N to 89. N 89 through Prescott to 89A, up & over Jerome. Down & east on 260. E on the 60 SpringerVille to Socorro. S on 25, & E on 380 to Roswell, up to Lubbock & your back. I have done this ride a few times & it's a favorite.
I checked that route out on the map and it looks great. Only thing I'll do differently.... weather permitting.... from Springerville I'll run down 191 and then ride through Gila (35) and over Emery Pass (152) before heading home. I have taken off two extra days from work, giving me a total of 5 days to get home. Thanks for the route ideas through Arizona!