ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Old's Cool > Airheads
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 10-17-2012, 09:43 AM   #76
hardwaregrrl OP
ignore list
 
hardwaregrrl's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2006
Location: Atlanta
Oddometer: 6,986
Quote:
Originally Posted by Les_Garten View Post

p.s. I will put some input into the OP though.

Not sure why you are so resistant to the AFR gauge. I had a colortune at some point and found it pretty useless for tuning, other than maybe idle mix.
Not opposed, never said I was. Nathan had one when he was a ducati dealer. I may have the bike dynoed at HD, or check to see if they have an AFR gauge. I'm currently not working so I don't have cash to throw at this bike or I would purchase one.
hardwaregrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 09:52 AM   #77
RGregor
User Awaiting Email Confirmation
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Location: Bavaria
Oddometer: 437
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airhead Wrangler View Post
That's entirely possible. I haven't checked yet. I appreciate the offer, but I can't measure them at the moment because they're with my bike up in Seattle. I'm down in Mexico. Sorry.
Just in case: the dello springs have an outer diameter of 20mm, length is 125 and135 mm (stiffer ones are longer)
RGregor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 11:32 AM   #78
Les_Garten
Studly Adventurer
 
Les_Garten's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2011
Location: PSL, FL
Oddometer: 706
Quote:
Originally Posted by hardwaregrrl View Post
Not opposed, never said I was. Nathan had one when he was a ducati dealer. I may have the bike dynoed at HD, or check to see if they have an AFR gauge. I'm currently not working so I don't have cash to throw at this bike or I would purchase one.
Gotcha.


The price of the Dyno is going to be a good portion of the price of the gauge methinks.
Les_Garten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 03:26 PM   #79
tradern
Windsor NSW
 
Joined: May 2009
Location: Windsor NSW
Oddometer: 60
You can cut the slide springs to ease the hard pull on the mikuni's. I've progressively taken almost 3cm off to great effect. This is using an MX aftermarket throttle (specifically a 2 stroke domino model). Thanks go to Mr. Rooney for this tip.
tradern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 03:37 PM   #80
Les_Garten
Studly Adventurer
 
Les_Garten's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2011
Location: PSL, FL
Oddometer: 706
Quote:
Originally Posted by tradern View Post
You can cut the slide springs to ease the hard pull on the mikuni's. I've progressively taken almost 3cm off to great effect. This is using an MX aftermarket throttle (specifically a 2 stroke domino model). Thanks go to Mr. Rooney for this tip.
I was just talking to a guy about this as well.

Here's a kewl video of some Yoshimura modified TMR carbs.

They are called MJN mods for multi jet nozzle.

The needle is hollow and acts as a spray bar or like an emulsion tube. Very freakin' expensive.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=APq5jz4T_08
Les_Garten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 03:42 PM   #81
Airhead Wrangler
Adios Mexico
 
Airhead Wrangler's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2008
Location: Back in Seattle, FINALLY
Oddometer: 6,349
Quote:
Originally Posted by tradern View Post
You can cut the slide springs to ease the hard pull on the mikuni's. I've progressively taken almost 3cm off to great effect. This is using an MX aftermarket throttle (specifically a 2 stroke domino model). Thanks go to Mr. Rooney for this tip.
I did notice that those springs are a hell of a lot longer than they need to be. You have to compress at least 3" of spring before you even start threading the cap on the carb. Way more than necessary. On the positive side, without a push/pull throttle, there's no chance in hell that the throttle would EVER get stuck with these springs. I'll call them a safety feature.

__________________
R80ST Gets The HPN Treatment
Seattle to TDF on an airhead

Current rides: HPN #834, '93 R100GSPD "red rocket", '73 R75/5 Toaster mongrel, '80 Ducati Pantah 500SL, '92 DR350, '67 Honda SS50, '80 Honda Chaly.
Airhead Wrangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 04:59 PM   #82
hardwaregrrl OP
ignore list
 
hardwaregrrl's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2006
Location: Atlanta
Oddometer: 6,986
Quote:
Originally Posted by Les_Garten View Post
Gotcha.


The price of the Dyno is going to be a good portion of the price of the gauge methinks.
I work for HD, I'd get a sweet deal.
hardwaregrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 06:27 PM   #83
Les_Garten
Studly Adventurer
 
Les_Garten's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2011
Location: PSL, FL
Oddometer: 706
Quote:
Originally Posted by hardwaregrrl View Post
I work for HD, I'd get a sweet deal.
Ahhhh,


They know what kinda ride ya got?
Les_Garten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 06:29 PM   #84
hardwaregrrl OP
ignore list
 
hardwaregrrl's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2006
Location: Atlanta
Oddometer: 6,986
Quote:
Originally Posted by Les_Garten View Post
Ahhhh,


They know what kinda ride ya got?
Yep, they routinely ridicule it. I then ask them where their ride it, and they point to a cage.
hardwaregrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 06:35 PM   #85
Les_Garten
Studly Adventurer
 
Les_Garten's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2011
Location: PSL, FL
Oddometer: 706
Quote:
Originally Posted by hardwaregrrl View Post
Yep, they routinely ridicule it. I then ask them where their ride it, and they point to a cage.

They do spend a large part of their life on a trailer don't they?

Get ya some jets and put it up on the Dyno and tune 'er up, or him up whichever the case may be.

Funny thing, around here, the Harley places won't put non Harleys or non standard type bikes on their Dynos. I was looking for one for mine, when I told them what it was, they said no!

I guess they don't want to deal with motors that don't look like compressors...
Les_Garten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 07:21 PM   #86
Airhead Wrangler
Adios Mexico
 
Airhead Wrangler's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2008
Location: Back in Seattle, FINALLY
Oddometer: 6,349
Quote:
Originally Posted by Les_Garten View Post
\
I guess they don't want to deal with motors that don't look like compressors...
...or motors that make more power than noise.
__________________
R80ST Gets The HPN Treatment
Seattle to TDF on an airhead

Current rides: HPN #834, '93 R100GSPD "red rocket", '73 R75/5 Toaster mongrel, '80 Ducati Pantah 500SL, '92 DR350, '67 Honda SS50, '80 Honda Chaly.
Airhead Wrangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 07:36 PM   #87
supershaft
because I can
 
Joined: Sep 2010
Location: San Francisco Bay area
Oddometer: 8,285
I am about as down on stupid loud Milwaukee ass hammers as anyone right now but some of those fokkers do make as much power as they do noise. When I was a kid it was easy to put up with them because there wasn't hundreds of them all over the place. Nowadays everybody and literally their grandmother has a stupid loud ass hammer. It is still a dream of mine to get a HD and put muflers on it the size of large hard bags just to piss off the blow hards.

Back to jetting: I know I have said this before but a lot of people fail to realize that jetting envolves buying jets. It's a lot of money times two and most all of them you will eventually not need. . At least they don't have more cylinders!
supershaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 08:07 PM   #88
Kai Ju
Beastly Adventurer
 
Kai Ju's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2009
Location: So Cal
Oddometer: 1,720
Quote:
Originally Posted by Les_Garten View Post
Ahhhh,


They know what kinda ride ya got?
Just tell them that you're riding a wide angle pushrod V twin
Kai Ju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 08:13 PM   #89
Uncle Pollo
happy cachiporra
 
Uncle Pollo's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2006
Location: Albuquerque, Neue Messico
Oddometer: 47,407
Quote:
Originally Posted by supershaft View Post
I am about as down on stupid loud Milwaukee ass hammers as anyone right now but some of those fokkers do make as much power as they do noise. When I was a kid it was easy to put up with them because there wasn't hundreds of them all over the place. Nowadays everybody and literally their grandmother has a stupid loud ass hammer. It is still a dream of mine to get a HD and put muflers on it the size of large hard bags just to piss off the blow hards.

Back to jetting: I know I have said this before but a lot of people fail to realize that jetting envolves buying jets. It's a lot of money times two and most all of them you will eventually not need. . At least they don't have more cylinders!
Blew a hundred almost ...with a good base libe. I have enough jet fro death valley to bolivia
Uncle Pollo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 08:28 PM   #90
mark1305
Old Enough To Know Better
 
mark1305's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2005
Location: Merritt Island, FL
Oddometer: 5,945
Quote:
Originally Posted by Les_Garten View Post
They do spend a large part of their life on a trailer don't they?

Get ya some jets and put it up on the Dyno and tune 'er up, or him up whichever the case may be.

Funny thing, around here, the Harley places won't put non Harleys or non standard type bikes on their Dynos. I was looking for one for mine, when I told them what it was, they said no!

I guess they don't want to deal with motors that don't look like compressors...
I haven't had to use his dyno yet, but I have an indie HD tuner/builder here on the island that has been around for like 30 years. Old school machinist but specializes in HDs and has all the computer tuniing stuff for modern HDs as well. I buy fork oil from him to avoid driving across the river to Cocoa. Asked him about dynoing one of the Beemers if I ever needed to to dial in carbs. His reply was, "The dyno doesn't know what kind of bike is strapped onto it." That's the kind of guy you want to do business with.
__________________
Mark J
Merritt Island, FL

When a person asks you for advice, they don't want advice. They want corroboration.
mark1305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 03:40 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014