Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-20-2012, 04:05 AM   #31
disston
ShadeTreeExpert

Oddometer: 7,975
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeachZack View Post
Ok, quick rundown on what is planned for the bike.
Swap to a modern USD front end. I've seen successful swaps using GSXR front ends done before, does anybody have any information regarding a swap like this?

Rear monoshock conversion. Planning on running a rear monoshock on the bike similar to Sparkymoto's build and Leadnuts build. Big thanks to both of them for documenting all the fabrication so well.

While I was putting the swingarm back on the frame in order to take it to my fabricator, I realized while doing so that the swingarm may not be properly aligned, which would be important in lining up the mounts for the rear shock.

Any tips on how to align the swingarm/rear wheel? Should I focus on the front end swap first in order to be able to align the front and rear wheels before the swingarm modification?
It is usually very disconcerting to the new Airhead owner but I think I should tell you. The front and the rear wheels on an Airhead do not line up. There is a longer top hat spacer for the rear wheel bearing. I think it's 1.5 mm longer, find it in the fische. And the swing arm can be set a little off center. This is the most that one can do reasonably and the rear wheel will still track a little to the right of the front wheel.

I know this is upsetting and is hard to accept but it is how they are built.

Pay your debt, piratejohn.http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=949341
disston is offline   Reply With Quote