ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-11-2014, 07:18 PM   #3211
Dynamick OP
\dī-ˈna-mik\

Oddometer: 4,034
this:

Dynamick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 07:22 PM   #3212
Dorito
Dreamer and Doer

Oddometer: 5,112
Quote:
Imagine trying to move by vomiting out of a giant straw and flapping your skirt around really really fast

Nothing (ad)ventured, Nothing Gained
Everything you want is on the other side of fear.
Dorito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 07:55 PM   #3213
Dynamick OP
\dī-ˈna-mik\

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorito View Post
Quote:
That's how the cuttlefish do.
Can you say turbo-fish
Old 04-15-2014, 06:45 PM   #3214
Chisenhallw
Avowed Pussbag

Oddometer: 5,590
Ok, so, someone tell me why this wouldn't work on a moto. I saw it on 'Why We Ride' and I've been noodling about this since. Especially in my SV redo.

I've loaded the app onto my tablet, and man, it looks pretty whizbang. It will give you vehicle readouts (speed, heading, etc) overlaid on google maps - or whatever nav app you're using. I'm seriously considering fabbing up a mount that would sit over my SV's instrument cluster, and just use this. I'll hardwire a mini-usb to provide juice, and maybe get an otterbox for rain/vibration (shoot, I could fab up an antivibration plastic case for it myself, we did that all the time when I fabricated prosthetics).

The only thing that this app wouldn't tell me is when my fuel runs low.

Why is this a bad idea? What am I missing?
I review motorcycles for 2wheelsandamotor.com LoPL Twisty Weekend
Chisenhallw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 07:05 PM   #3215
anotherguy
Banned

Oddometer: 6,212
Because it's a motorcycle not a video game. There really are other things you should pay attention to.
anotherguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 07:27 PM   #3216
Chisenhallw
Avowed Pussbag

I see what you're saying, but you could make that argument against any instrument cluster.
Old 04-16-2014, 03:31 AM   #3217
Dorito
Dreamer and Doer

Oddometer: 5,112
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chisenhallw View Post
Ok, so, someone tell me why this wouldn't work on a moto. I'll hardwire a mini-usb to provide juice, and maybe get an otterbox for rain/vibration (shoot, I could fab up an antivibration plastic case for it myself, we did that all the time when I fabricated prosthetics).
One thing you'll need to noodle through is the USB-mini power connection. I've had terrible luck with a car GPS mounted on a bike. The bike at the time had a cigarette lighter, and that certainly didn't keep the connection solid. I sort of got through that one with lots of wiggling, then the USB end was a bugger.

On design, you will probably want it to pop into some sort of hard cradle which keeps the phone/power as one unit then connecting to a SAE plug to the bike.

Quote:
Just go old school, and use the trip meter. It looks like it has at least 2 of them...

Lastly, Blaster loves riding his GPS with that screen up. However, you'll have to mount it really out in front of your field of view. For me and my T-rex length arms, I prefer the buttons to be closer, and ergo I don't use that screen as much as I do the instrument gage.

Will the phone fog the otterbox in rain riding?

Nothing (ad)ventured, Nothing Gained
Everything you want is on the other side of fear.
Dorito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 05:34 AM   #3218
Dynamick OP
\dī-ˈna-mik\

I have really fallen in-like with my Garmin. I ride using the info screen, better speedometer, trip meter, compass and so forth. And if I want/need directions it's right there. I use it on both motos so I'm use to it. There are some screen glare issues sometimes, might add a small visor.

Old picture, sorry.
Old 04-16-2014, 07:02 AM   #3219
Chisenhallw
Avowed Pussbag

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorito View Post
One thing you'll need to noodle through is the USB-mini power connection. I've had terrible luck with a car GPS mounted on a bike. The bike at the time had a cigarette lighter, and that certainly didn't keep the connection solid. I sort of got through that one with lots of wiggling, then the USB end was a bugger.
I have that on the Connie right now, and i hate it. I'm constantly fiddling with the cigarette lighter at stoplights. I really do think I wanna wire a USB connect directly to the harness on both bikes.

Quote:
On design, you will probably want it to pop into some sort of hard cradle which keeps the phone/power as one unit then connecting to a SAE plug to the bike.

See above re: fabbing cradle.

Quote:
Lastly, Blaster loves riding his GPS with that screen up. However, you'll have to mount it really out in front of your field of view. For me and my T-rex length arms, I prefer the buttons to be closer, and ergo I don't use that screen as much as I do the instrument gage.

Will the phone fog the otterbox in rain riding?
The SV has a pretty free field of view, and I really like that (as opposed to the Connie, where I have a lot more information available). If I mount it directly over the instrument cluster, it'd be well out of my field of view. And honestly? The SV is a fair-weather bike. I dragged out the Connie to get the MD tag in the cold rain yesterday. If it's raining that hard when I'm on the SV, I'll pull off and get a latte. It's widely known that I'm a pussbag.
Old 04-16-2014, 07:17 AM   #3220
anotherguy
Banned

Oddometer: 6,212
Quote:
I see what you're saying, but you could make that argument against any instrument cluster.
So why do you ask if you've already made up your mind?
anotherguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 07:26 AM   #3221
Chisenhallw
Avowed Pussbag

Quote:
Originally Posted by anotherguy View Post
So why do you ask if you've already made up your mind?

Because I haven't!

It's one of those things that seems like a really good idea. What could possibly go wrong? I'm bouncing this off of the community in case there's some glaring error I'm not seeing. I mean, I get your point about road distraction, but there's a pretty large section of riders who seem to be able to gain information from a screen during riding without crashing.
Old 04-16-2014, 07:26 AM   #3222
goosecreek
a desk prop

Oddometer: 2,340
Biggest problem I see would be poor cell phone coverage in some areas.
goosecreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 07:27 AM   #3223
Chisenhallw
Avowed Pussbag

Quote:
Originally Posted by goosecreek View Post
Biggest problem I see would be poor cell phone coverage in some areas.
Don't need it! The tablet I wanna use has separate wifi & gsm chips, so doesn't need cellphone coverage. All I gotta do is preload my maps before I walk out the door.
Old 04-16-2014, 07:42 AM   #3224
Dynamick OP
\dī-ˈna-mik\

An all in one would be great. Playing the what pocket is my phone, where can I secure my GPS, have I charged/ can I charge all my shit game can be more distracting then some info on a screen.
Old 04-16-2014, 08:04 AM   #3225
JaxObsessed
RushMoran....... :D

Oddometer: 12,781
Exqueeze the Luddite...
Which app?

My old eyes are not able to focus on these tiny GPSs any more. I got myself a 7" tab that I have tried Sygic on. It was great but you can't load .gpx files without jumping through a shitton of hoops. SO.... I'm looking for a decent app that can run independently off net/cell coverage.

Quote:
Ok, so, someone tell me why this wouldn't work on a moto. I saw it on 'Why We Ride' and I've been noodling about this since. Especially in my SV redo.

I've loaded the app onto my tablet, and man, it looks pretty whizbang. It will give you vehicle readouts (speed, heading, etc) overlaid on google maps - or whatever nav app you're using. I'm seriously considering fabbing up a mount that would sit over my SV's instrument cluster, and just use this. I'll hardwire a mini-usb to provide juice, and maybe get an otterbox for rain/vibration (shoot, I could fab up an antivibration plastic case for it myself, we did that all the time when I fabricated prosthetics).

Why is this a bad idea? What am I missing?
JaxObsessed is offline   Reply With Quote