ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-01-2014, 08:12 AM   #3346
Chisenhallw
Avowed Pussbag

Oddometer: 5,545
Glennnnnnnnnn
I review motorcycles for 2wheelsandamotor.com LoPL Twisty Weekend
Chisenhallw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 08:39 AM   #3347
reedg01
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 289
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chisenhallw View Post
Glennnnnnnnnn
Much better!

"With friends like these, who needs hallucinations!" John Astin in an episode of Night Court
reedg01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 09:16 AM   #3348
Chisenhallw
Avowed Pussbag

Anybody interested in a tire-kicking/bs session next week? 5/8 around 9pm or 5/9 at 6pm or 7pm?
Old 05-01-2014, 06:26 PM   #3349
yru
After 6, it's iffy

Oddometer: 2,230
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chisenhallw View Post
Anybody interested in a tire-kicking/bs session next week? 5/8 around 9pm or 5/9 at 6pm or 7pm?
Is this going to be at Mr. TIRE on Reisterstown Rd.?

2004 RC51
2012 Tiger 800XC
yru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 06:55 AM   #3350
Chisenhallw
Avowed Pussbag

Friday!

Old 05-02-2014, 08:28 AM   #3351
JaxObsessed
RushMoran....... :D

Oddometer: 12,582
Yeh baby! FRIDAY!!!

Love me some herky jerky too.

OH and I read my email from 9 days ago....LOL Sorry Mickey.
JaxObsessed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 11:49 AM   #3352
JaxObsessed

I'm not worthy.

Old 05-02-2014, 02:59 PM   #3353
yru
After 6, it's iffy

Oddometer: 2,230
New Honda Dual Sport for 2015

Popular German motorcycle magazine Motorrad (circulation of 135,000) is reporting in their*April cover story*that Honda plans to build a new Africa Twin that could revolutionize the Adventure Touring market. This new model isn’t another bloated 1200cc GS wannabe or adventure styled street bike, but a proper Adventure Bike with a real dirt focus.

Vito Cicchetti, General Manager of Honda Italy confirmed last year a*new Africa Twin*has been in the works and is coming soon. Now Motorrad is providing some details about potential specifications and where the new Africa Twin might fit in the market.

Motorrad reports that Honda would like to fill a hole in the market between the large 1200cc touring focused Adventure Bikes and dirt focused 650cc Dual Sport bikes. Currently, this segment has a real lack of variety made even worse with the discontinuation of the KTM 990 Adventure and Honda Transalp 700 in recent years. Honda’s Crossrunner 800, NC700X and CB500X are little more than budget street bikes dressed up in adventure clothing, with no intentions for off-road use. Clearly, Honda is in need of a proper Adventure Bike and entering the less-competitive middle-weight market would be a smart place to start.

Motorrad’s reported specs for this new Africa Twin (model code CRF1000) describe an Adventure Bike inspired by*Honda’s 450cc Dakar Rally Production Racer. Styling and technology from the Rally bike would form the basis for the new Africa Twin. After Honda’s return to the Dakar Rally in 2013 from a 23 year absence (winning 5 titles during the 1980′s), it would make sense that they would want to capitalize on thier new racing heritage.

The original Africa Twin was built in homage to the giant desert racers of the Paris-Dakar Rally.

It’s a story with a familiar ring. The original XRV750 Africa Twin from the late eighties was based on the NXR-750 Paris-Dakar Rally bike. It was a big Adventure Bike (a bit on the heavy side) that you could actually take off-road. It offered smooth V-Twin power and the dependability of a Honda for long-distance travel. The legendary Africa Twin was discontinued in 2003, but remains a popular choice for Adventure Riders. Unfortunately, they never imported the Africa Twin to the US or Canada.

Potential specs reported by Motorrad describe a new Africa Twin with a 1000cc Parallel-Twin instead of a V-Twin (apparently for cost saving purposes). The engine output would be around 100 hp with a dry weight of 397 lb (180 kg) and price tag of roughly $13,800 US. The bike would ride on a 21″ front wheel and 17″ rear, with 9.8 inches (250 mm) of suspension travel.

The design is described as more off-road focused than the KTM 1190 R, BMW F800GS or XTZ660 Tenere, but not quite as dirt oriented as the KTM 690 Enduro R. It’s expected to use a special off-road ABS like the one found on the Dakar Rally production racer as well.

Competitors at a Glance

Adventure Bike ModelsDry Weight
(lbs.)Fuel Capacity
(US Gal)Fr./Rr. Susp. Travel
(inches)*HP*Price
(US $)2003*Honda*Africa*Twin*XRV7504566.18.7/8.461N/A2013 KTM 990 Adventure R4385.310.4/10.4113$14,9992014 BMW F800GS4214.29.1/8.585$12,1002015*Honda*Africa*Twin*CRF1000*3975.39 .8/9.8100$13,8002014 BMW Sertão G650GS3914.78.3/8.350$8,650

It appears that Honda’s formula for success is to build a reliable, fairly light-weight, low-maintenance, attractive Adventure Bike with serious off-road intentions and good comfort on the highway. It’s the holy grail of Adventure Bikes that has never quite been attained by any manufacturer. While some bikes have come close, there always seems to be something missing, something not quite there, some flaw that keeps the bike from achieving the complete package. With this new Africa Twin, it seems possible that Honda could draw significant market share from its competitors and become a runaway sales success.

These claims of liter-bike power with the weight of a 650cc Adventure Bike all sound a bit too good to be true though. But who better to revolutionize a market than Honda? They’ve done it before with the 1992 CBR900RR. After years of careful planning, they produced a sport bike with the weight of a 600cc and liter-class power. Could they do the same thing again with Adventure Bikes?

There is no way to know for sure if this is the bike Honda will produce. But we do know that a new Africa Twin will be released soon and that Honda has registered the “Africa Twin” trademark with the*US Trademark Office, evidence that it could be coming to US shores this time around. Motorrad expects to see the new Africa Twin debut at either the*INTERMOT*or*EICMA*show later this year, and a launch as a 2015 model.

Let’s keep our fingers crossed and hope that this new Honda turns out to be anything close to these incredible specs. Most Adventure Riders would be happy with a 700-800cc engine and a sub-400 pound dry weight. If they are able to achieve their weight target with a 1000cc, even better.

2004 RC51
2012 Tiger 800XC
yru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 04:56 PM   #3354
JaxObsessed

GREAT NEWS!

I recently found the 690 and the 1190. Too much for my dream factory. I'm making long term plans to own both of these machines.

The more adventure oriented bikes the better. I love several choices for my dream factory. Right now I am DROOLING orange. Huge improvements in the last coupla years.

Choices. Choices. Choices.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yrunotriding View Post
Popular German motorcycle magazine Motorrad (circulation of 135,000) is reporting in their*April cover story*that Honda plans to build a new Africa Twin that could revolutionize the Adventure Touring market. This new model isn’t another bloated 1200cc GS wannabe or adventure styled street bike, but a proper Adventure Bike with a real dirt focus.

Vito Cicchetti, General Manager of Honda Italy confirmed last year a*new Africa Twin*has been in the works and is coming soon. Now Motorrad is providing some details about potential specifications and where the new Africa Twin might fit in the market.

Motorrad reports that Honda would like to fill a hole in the market between the large 1200cc touring focused Adventure Bikes and dirt focused 650cc Dual Sport bikes. Currently, this segment has a real lack of variety made even worse with the discontinuation of the KTM 990 Adventure and Honda Transalp 700 in recent years. Honda’s Crossrunner 800, NC700X and CB500X are little more than budget street bikes dressed up in adventure clothing, with no intentions for off-road use. Clearly, Honda is in need of a proper Adventure Bike and entering the less-competitive middle-weight market would be a smart place to start.

Motorrad’s reported specs for this new Africa Twin (model code CRF1000) describe an Adventure Bike inspired by*Honda’s 450cc Dakar Rally Production Racer. Styling and technology from the Rally bike would form the basis for the new Africa Twin. After Honda’s return to the Dakar Rally in 2013 from a 23 year absence (winning 5 titles during the 1980′s), it would make sense that they would want to capitalize on thier new racing heritage.

The original Africa Twin was built in homage to the giant desert racers of the Paris-Dakar Rally.

It’s a story with a familiar ring. The original XRV750 Africa Twin from the late eighties was based on the NXR-750 Paris-Dakar Rally bike. It was a big Adventure Bike (a bit on the heavy side) that you could actually take off-road. It offered smooth V-Twin power and the dependability of a Honda for long-distance travel. The legendary Africa Twin was discontinued in 2003, but remains a popular choice for Adventure Riders. Unfortunately, they never imported the Africa Twin to the US or Canada.

Potential specs reported by Motorrad describe a new Africa Twin with a 1000cc Parallel-Twin instead of a V-Twin (apparently for cost saving purposes). The engine output would be around 100 hp with a dry weight of 397 lb (180 kg) and price tag of roughly $13,800 US. The bike would ride on a 21″ front wheel and 17″ rear, with 9.8 inches (250 mm) of suspension travel.

The design is described as more off-road focused than the KTM 1190 R, BMW F800GS or XTZ660 Tenere, but not quite as dirt oriented as the KTM 690 Enduro R. It’s expected to use a special off-road ABS like the one found on the Dakar Rally production racer as well.

Competitors at a Glance

Adventure Bike ModelsDry Weight
(lbs.)Fuel Capacity
(US Gal)Fr./Rr. Susp. Travel
(inches)*HP*Price
(US $)2003*Honda*Africa*Twin*XRV7504566.18.7/8.461N/A2013 KTM 990 Adventure R4385.310.4/10.4113$14,9992014 BMW F800GS4214.29.1/8.585$12,1002015*Honda*Africa*Twin*CRF1000*3975.39 .8/9.8100$13,8002014 BMW Sertão G650GS3914.78.3/8.350$8,650

It appears that Honda’s formula for success is to build a reliable, fairly light-weight, low-maintenance, attractive Adventure Bike with serious off-road intentions and good comfort on the highway. It’s the holy grail of Adventure Bikes that has never quite been attained by any manufacturer. While some bikes have come close, there always seems to be something missing, something not quite there, some flaw that keeps the bike from achieving the complete package. With this new Africa Twin, it seems possible that Honda could draw significant market share from its competitors and become a runaway sales success.

These claims of liter-bike power with the weight of a 650cc Adventure Bike all sound a bit too good to be true though. But who better to revolutionize a market than Honda? They’ve done it before with the 1992 CBR900RR. After years of careful planning, they produced a sport bike with the weight of a 600cc and liter-class power. Could they do the same thing again with Adventure Bikes?

There is no way to know for sure if this is the bike Honda will produce. But we do know that a new Africa Twin will be released soon and that Honda has registered the “Africa Twin” trademark with the*US Trademark Office, evidence that it could be coming to US shores this time around. Motorrad expects to see the new Africa Twin debut at either the*INTERMOT*or*EICMA*show later this year, and a launch as a 2015 model.

Let’s keep our fingers crossed and hope that this new Honda turns out to be anything close to these incredible specs. Most Adventure Riders would be happy with a 700-800cc engine and a sub-400 pound dry weight. If they are able to achieve their weight target with a 1000cc, even better.
Old 05-02-2014, 05:59 PM   #3355
Dorito
Dreamer and Doer

Oddometer: 5,092
Friday!

Blaster and I were laughing about this one today. So what the heck, let's repost it for prosperity again

Nothing (ad)ventured, Nothing Gained
Everything you want is on the other side of fear.
Dorito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 08:49 PM   #3356
Dynamick OP
\dī-ˈna-mik\

Oddometer: 4,018
It's been a good one I'm tired.

It will be interesting to see what Honda tosses our way next.

Dortio, thanks for putting that one back up.

Jax, that 1190 , I'm afraid to visit JT Motorsports

Dynamick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 08:38 PM   #3357
Dynamick OP
\dī-ˈna-mik\

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaxObsessed View Post

I recently found the 690 and the 1190. Too much for my dream factory. I'm making long term plans to own both of these machines.
Here's a thread to slow you down. Me, I'm not gonna read it because in my mind it is perfect .
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...=899972&page=3
Old 05-04-2014, 07:02 AM   #3358
JaxObsessed

Yupprs, find a bike, especially a newly designed machine, that doesn't have it's problems and you'll be a rich man. I read most of the thread just to see what I should expect. The complaints seem run of the mill to me.

The list of complaints about our 650s is pages deep.
Old 05-04-2014, 09:13 AM   #3359
T
®

Oddometer: 5,171
Hmmm.....Looks like your leader was on the "other side" of the bridge this morning pinching tits (and other work related things).

Old 05-04-2014, 08:08 PM   #3360
Dynamick OP
\dī-ˈna-mik\

May the fourth

Thinking about a get-a-way?