Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-30-2012, 09:05 PM   #46
dbmet
Adventurer

Oddometer: 31
Awesome pictures!! What camera are you using?
dbmet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 09:26 PM   #47
mathewsturtevant
Motojournalist

Oddometer: 227
Nice report.

Cool bike too. I've never seen that graphics kit on a DL before. Travel Safe. and I would highly recommend stopping by Real De Catorce if you can. Especially since your into photography. It is an amazing place. It's is just west of Matehuela.
mathewsturtevant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 09:49 PM   #48
engineman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 264
You've definitely got a gift for photography. Makes me feel like I'm there. Looking forward to watching your journey. Ride safe.
engineman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 10:01 PM   #49
Katsumoto
Adventurer

Oddometer: 75
Subscribed!

great pics! and great attitude! keep 'em coming... Buy you a beer in Villahermosa.. Cheers!
Katsumoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 07:40 AM   #50
Eclecticmale OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 98
Querétaro to Veracruz

I got an early start out of Querétaro, because I planned to see the Pyramids at Teotihuacan, right outside of Mexico City. Those plans fell through when I spent 2 hours lost in Mexico City. I knew I could not waste anymore time trying to find the Pyramids, because Veracruz was 4 hours away and I knew if I wanted to get there before night fall, I had no extra time to waste. I took my first toll road in Mexico and quickly realized that it was expensive and time consuming stopping every 100 miles or so. I think I must have paid $70 US. My plan is to never use toll roads again, if I can help it. I made it to Veracruz at 8:00 PM, and got a hotel room in the historic center of the city for about $40 US each night. I plan to stay 2 nights and head out to Oaxaca on 1OCT12. I have really enjoyed Mexico and its people thus far…I plan to give a more detailed opinion of Mexico when I exit. This morning, I headed out to see the city of Veracruz, and what it has to offer. It has a downtown Charleston, SC feel mixed with a little of Myrtle Beach, SC.

2009 Triumph Scrambler
2011 SUZUKI DL650 VSTROM
Eclecticmale is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 08:24 AM   #51
adventurebound9517
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 305
Hi Raymond
I just found your R.R. and I'm in. I admire you for taking this voyage in your life, alot of us would like to but can't muster the courage. Be safe and can't wait to see where you go.
adventurebound9517 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 05:14 PM   #52
Eclecticmale OP
Adventurer

Veracruz to Villahermosa, Mexico

My plan was to leave Veracruz and head out to Oaxaca, but I made some changes. I ended up staying an extra day in Veracruz and use that time to do some bike maintenance…oil change, check tires, add air, lube stuff. The following morning I headed out to Villahermosa, and the ride had a little rain and a lot of potholes, but I made in safely. I arrived to a very modern city with very little colonial influence around 3:00 PM. I did my usual, stopped at a very expensive hotel, and asked if they knew of a good less expensive hotel. Usually the expensive hotels have a person that speaks English and give quality advice, so I ended up staying at a hotel a few miles down in the center of the city. This city is the most progressive city for modern art and culture I have visited thus far. As you can see in the photos…they have a great admiration for the female form. Villahermosa has a great number of museums and artwork/statues in their parks. I spent the following day walking around for half the day taking pictures. My plan is to leave in the morning headed toward the ruins of Palenque, and then bed down in San Cristobal.

Barista Chicas

Roof dog

Pedestrian/Bridge-Crosswalk/Museum...Wonderful Idea!

2009 Triumph Scrambler
2011 SUZUKI DL650 VSTROM
Old 10-03-2012, 06:56 PM   #53
ROAD DAMAGE
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 965
Hello Again

All caught up again .............. and absolutely loving your storytelling.

Nice job Raymond!

Travel Safely Amigo.

Rob
Old 10-03-2012, 09:41 PM   #54
alfabc
Adventurer

Oddometer: 210
Fantastic road report, and even more fantastic photography. I'm really interested what camera you are using, as I'm in the market for a good high quality travel camera.

Ride safe, enjoy the view, and keep posting!

Cheers,

Bill
2012 BMW 650GS
alfabc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 07:52 PM   #55
Eclecticmale OP
Adventurer

Villahermosa to San Cristobal, Mexico

I got early start to the day, due to the fact I had plans to see the ruins at Palenque. It was about a 2 hour ride to Palenque, and I only gave myself 1 hour to take photos. I negotiated with an English speaking tour guide (Jose) for a quick 1 hour guide for $20 US. Palenque is a great historic site, and I managed to get some nice photos while learning about the Myans. I got back on the road, and started my way south through the mountains, of which I am beginning to dislike, due to all of the topes (speed bumps). There must have been at least 300 topes along the way to San Cristobal. During my travels, I ran into another motorcycle adventure traveler from the USA, his name was Ratbike Mike. We sat and had a cup of coffee and talked for a while, he was headed to Palenque. Around 6:00 PM, I arrived at San Cristobal, which was extremely cold, and I checked into the first hotel I found for about $20 US. At first glance San Cristobal was not impressive, but after I took a half a mile walk from my hotel to the center of the city…I was amazed. This city seemed to have the most colonial buildings that I had seen thus far. The city center was full of people enjoying their evening activities, shopping, bars, parks, live music…it was fantastic, but cold. I really enjoyed San Cristobal for my one night stay.

My camera setup is a Canon G12, and a Nikon D90 DSLR with Nikkor lens, 28mm, 50mm, 85mm, and a Sigma wide angle 10mm - 14mm zoom.

2009 Triumph Scrambler
2011 SUZUKI DL650 VSTROM

Eclecticmale screwed with this post 10-08-2012 at 12:56 PM
Old 10-08-2012, 01:09 PM   #56
Eclecticmale OP
Adventurer

San Cristobal, Mexico to I don’t know where the hell I am, Guatemala

I departed San Cristobal early with the intent to cross the Mexican-Guatemalan border, and spend a night in the Guatemalan border town called Le Mesilla. Along the way, in Comitan, Mexico, I ran into another motorcycle adventure traveler (I forgot his name) from England who has been traveling for the past 11 months. We arrived at the border and went through the Mexican Customs and Immigrations, and the Englishman disappeared. He had been having trouble starting his bike, so I guess he we to go have the issue sorted before he entered Guatemala. So, I pressed on and entered Guatemala solo, and made a terrible assumption that Guatemala would have as many modern cities as Mexico. I rode until dusk through the mountains waiting to find a modern city…it did not happen. It was getting dark and had started to rain, I was approximately 3 hours away from Guatemala City, and I knew I had to stop and find a hotel. I stopped at a gas station, and got hotel directions and bedded down for the night at the cost of $8 US. The room was not fancy, but it was a true blessing…riding in the mountains at night would be pure suicide!

Me at Mexico - Guatemala border

The guy who saved my life...$8 hotel front desk guy.

2009 Triumph Scrambler
2011 SUZUKI DL650 VSTROM
Old 10-08-2012, 06:16 PM   #57
lualca
motero

Oddometer: 13
some day I will follow your steps!
lualca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 07:20 PM   #58
Bigger Al
Still a stupid tire guy

Oddometer: 7,861
I don't know how I missed this one, but I'm so very glad that I found it!

Your images really bring life to the words. You've got a gift, my friend.

Safe travels, and here's looking forward to more.

Steve McQueen

Bigger Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 07:28 PM   #59
Garry_88
Adventurer

Oddometer: 67
Awesome pictures keep them coming, have a great trip and enjoy life on the road.
Garry

gajo.smugmug.com
Garry_88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 07:50 PM   #60
NoobIAm
Far, far from the Garden.

Oddometer: 2,554
Glad to see you taking a bold step to move on after the trauma. Wish you well!
NoobIAm is offline   Reply With Quote